• Margarine
    • Other

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone except my husband uses butter. He's having some rather unusual health issues and it falls under his dairy intolerance, so he uses margarine or some kind of butter substitute on the rare chance he has anything. I'm aware of how foul margarine is, but I'd rather not harm my husband by giving him butter. ;)

I grew up on margarine. I thought real butter was something you could only get in restaurants. In my early days on my own, I'd use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", but thankfully I saw the error of the stupidest named product ever (and it's ingredients) and now only use butter or if I'm feeling industrious, butter and olive oil blended together (makes it nice and spreadable). Also lots of organic cold pressed coconut oil.

I know butter is tastier and hydrogenated fats are deadly, but when I am expected to make many, many, many batches of cookies for fundraisers, church parties, etc I use margarine. I simply cannot afford that much butter. The butter is 2.50 lb and margarine is .99lb. Sometimes, I have to base my choices on economics.

I grew up on margarine. I thought real butter was something you could only get in restaurants. In my early days on my own, I'd use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", but thankfully I saw the error of the stupidest named product ever (and it's ingredients) and now only use butter or if I'm feeling industrious, butter and olive oil blended together (makes it nice and spreadable). Also lots of organic cold pressed coconut oil.

This was me. I grew up on parkay, except for Easter when my grandma would buy a butter pressed into a lamb shaped mold.

I can't believe it took me so long to realize there is nothing good about margarine.

Butter only for 15 years.

Before that, I would buy dh Golden Soft, but I finally told him that if he wanted it he had to buy it. He has bought it a few times since then, but not in the past 5 years or so.

I will buy Earth Balance when we have company as not every one sees butter as a healthy option.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My parents and grandparents always used margarine, because it's less expensive, and I have followed their lead. I only buy butter to make certain special things, like sugar cookies and shortbread.

I don't use margarine as a spread, and I don't put it on bread or vegetables or anything else, so it's pretty much only for baking. The things I bake aren't particularly healthy anyway, what with the refined sugar and the bleached flour, so I don't worry too much about the "dangers" of the margarine I'm throwing in. :D

I'd love to just use butter, but its so darned expensive!

Maybe I'll just suck it up and start though...right after I buy a covered butter dish. :lol:

The cheapest place to buy it is Aldi's. And it is worth the price. Yes, it is twice what margainer is, but it isn't something you go through that fast.

The cheapest place to buy it is Aldi's. And it is worth the price. Yes, it is twice what margainer is, but it isn't something you go through that fast.

I know I don't, but have you seen the leaving your butter out thread? There are some serious butter consumers haunting these virtual halls. :D

I'm glad to see there are a few other people who find it too expensive to use butter exclusively (or at all. :D)

At a used book store I came across some government pamphlets that were touting the health benefits of margarine over butter. I can't remember the date 20's or 40's? Don't remember. Very old. I couldn't believe it.

ETA: Sorry this is a bit OT but the butter conversation sparked an interest. Here is a pamphlet similar to what I remember seeing. Apparently it wasn't put out by the gov't as the dairy farmers were lobbying heavily against the use of margarine. It's interesting to skim through.

Edited by silliness7

I'd love to just use butter, but its so darned expensive!

My answer to this is always that I can use literally a fifth of the butter to get the flavor (a better flavor too) that you can get from margarine. So little goes so far.

Of course, more is better. More butter! More!

***Not to start a debate or anything, but...

I have to add this little tid-bit: as I search for "the truth about margarine", I find all of the comments from this thread nearly verbatim on other sites and from one link that was doing a sort of "snopes" thing on an e-mail chain letter about it, several of the comments posted here are false. It's one thing to state you like it because it tastes better but when you give reasons why it's unhealthy, you ought to do a little bit of fact-checking before posting it. :001_huh: Aren't we smarter than that?

eta: sorry this is coming off SO snarky. It just blows my mind how stuck-up we can get over this kind of thing and then to boot, add information that is iffy at best. Is butter healthier than margarine? Yes. Are we going to be unhealthy if we choose MORE BUTTER, MORE BUTTER? (this reminds me of those who begin Atkins and think they can eat a whole cow for dinner and not get fat) Yes. Are we all still going to die even if we choose butter over margarine? Yes.

Edited by Alenee