Menu

Have you read the book The Well Trained Mind?

happycc

Have you read the book The Well Trained Mind?  

1. 1. Have you read the book The Well Trained Mind?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the first edition when DS was born in 2000. I borrowed the second ed. from a friend and spent weeks annotating my first edition page by page. I did it while the toddler napped.

When a 3rd edition came out I figured I should buy it because my 1st edition was all scribbled on and there wasn't any point to making the changes all over again. My 3rd edition is covered in highlighter and post-its.

If there is a 4th ed in a couple years I will prob buy it if there is any major revision to the rhetoric section. That is where I figure she is going next. In the 3rd ed much of the revision was to the logic stage. Given the ages of her children I am thinking that was where she had gained the most experience and insight. Now, I am guessing SWB is deep in the rhetoric stage, having sent one to college and her other kids growing up. So, that is where I would be looking for revisions.

Not that I have any special insight to anyone's life or anything. :lol:

I am curious to find out how many people actually have read the book The Well Trained Mind on this forum. In another thread I was told a lot of forum members have not read the book. My interest was perked.

I read the first edition back in 1999, then ten years later with the 2009 edition.

:)

I first read it years ago before we got the boys. I had an epiphany and knew I was going to homeschool and do it classically. Love the book. I read it at least once a year. Not from cover-to-cover, but in bits and pieces according to what I'm troubled about, or thinking about.

A fellow home-educating mom "hipped" me to TWTM about 6 years ago. I fell in love with the methodology immediately. Although I cannot say that I am a diehard TWTMer, I do refer to my books (I have 2 editions) very often and choose some the curricula that is recommended in the book. TWTM is my go to resource whenever I need advice in matters of teaching my dc.

that was the first edition.....i read it a million times and gave it to someone to borrow and never got it back...i bought another one....read it a million times.....then bought the second edition even though I wasn;t homeschooling anymore....read it a million times.....let someone borrow it...didn't get it back for awhile so then got the third edition and then the 2nd edition showed back up again ...have never lent my 3rd edition out.....because now I am homeschooling again

I do however get all confused by the 3 different editions...I think it is in the 3rd edition and then check and find out it is not in it and think I was nuts because I thought it was in it then realized it must have been in the other editions.....

would be cool to make a little table comparing the three.

cause I swear this book I have was in the one of the editions - i think it was the first...

my books have been underlined, dogeared, highlighted, well worn.......well loved...

MY BIBLE to homeschooling.....I have turned so many people on to The Well Trained Mind. I think I found the book in Borders one day and started reading it and was HOOKED. I had read a ton of homeschooling book but this one is the only I keep and keep buying the new editions.

Not even once.

I'll be honest - it seems a bit silly of me to encourage the emphasis (in study) of subjects that I would STRONGLY discourage my children from further studying in college.

Don't hate me :001_huh:

We're more science and math focused.

Please keep in mind that I do not find it silly for others to emphasize the scope and sequence emphasized in TWTM, it simply isn't what we want for our children. I should read the book instead of listening to my classical lit and history pushing homeschooling friends (who have read it religiously) though...

I read the 2nd edition 3x and then I purchased the 3rd edition. I read that once, and I've been contemplating picking it up again to reassure myself of a few things. I gave my sister my 2nd edition when she mentioned she wanted to homeschool.

Not even once.

I'll be honest - it seems a bit silly of me to encourage the emphasis (in study) of subjects that I would STRONGLY discourage my children from further studying in college.

Please keep in mind that I do not find it silly for others to emphasize the scope and sequence emphasized in TWTM, it simply isn't what we want for our children. I should read the book instead of listening to my classical lit and history pushing homeschooling friends (who have read it religiously) though...

I sure don't hate you, but I have to admit I don't understand you, either.

My sons are boning up on the humanities because they won't be going to college for those subjects. We are encouraging them to seek STEM careers or apprenticeships instead of liberal arts degrees, so their homeschool experience may be the only training in the humanities they ever receive. Therefore, I'm making the most of this time with WTM, TOG, Latin, Greek, Logic, etc.

In my experience with my own children, homeschooling allows time for a WTM-style education and globally competitive math and science.

I don't understand me sometimes :glare:

Truthfully, with a dyslexic daughter and a medically fragile son; some things are sacrificed. Since she hates history, hates reading (although she can do so well), is a horrible speller and writer; we tend to work on these things, but prefer to really focus on her gifts and preferences - science and math.

And honestly, in my experience, I have no desire to cultivate too much of a love for the humanities. All of my favorite Starbucks baristas had a humanities focused private school education in their early years, went to college to obtain advanced degrees in these same fields - and now work for barely more than min wage at a coffeehouse.

I think it's really just a family focused preference too though. My husband is a scientist with a good career; whereas everyone I know who fell in love with literature/history and obtained degrees in those fields are struggling and feel that they wasted 6+ years of their life. I think that our personal relationships have impacted our decision on where to focus our children's education.

I understand that "communication skills are everything" to those who believe in a heavy grammar/lit focus during early school years; but it doesn't sit high on our priority list when we are more concerned with our children being able to attend college and support themselves after. Part of pushing for a certain type of college education is cultivating a love for that in the early years. I tried to focus on grammar, lit, and history in the beginning but frankly, science and math were nonexistent because I was too exhausted to attempt experiments and drawn out discussions in those subjects.

Of course, part of it is my personality. Homeschooling is a necessity for us due to Autumn's academic struggles. It isn't something I feel strongly about and it isn't a hill I'll die on. I also know that Autumn may be going back to a certain Catholic school next year. I focus on what I know they will be focusing on. They have a strong math and science program.

I do, however, understand your pov. It seems perfectly understandable and logical to focus on something you are afraid in later years there will be less time/exposure for.

I sure don't hate you, but I have to admit I don't understand you, either.

My sons are boning up on the humanities because they won't be going to college for those subjects. We are encouraging them to seek STEM careers or apprenticeships instead of liberal arts degrees, so their homeschool experience may be the only training in the humanities they ever receive. Therefore, I'm making the most of this time with WTM, TOG, Latin, Greek, Logic, etc.

In my experience with my own children, homeschooling allows time for a WTM-style education and globally competitive math and science.

:iagree: Another math/science household that is following WTM. History isn't really our focus, even though it may seem like it when talking about WTM. History is a fun part of our day, 3 days a week, but we spend waaaaaay more time on math. And if you count the "why" questions from my 5 year old, we spend more time on science too. :lol:

As an engineer, I see the benefit in WTM-style studies. The plan teaches children to think, to research, to use logic. Then there's rhetoric... very useful in the engineering world! I have an engineer friend who took a 6 week intensive rhetoric course at Harvard last year. His company sent him up there to do that, because he has to talk people into hiring his company to do work, he has to talk people into more funding for projects, etc. I think a student with a WTM-style education will be more than ready for a STEM career.

Nope I've never read it -people post so much about it on this board that I feel I've read it by osmosis :lol:

I'm eclectic so I'm taking from classical what fits and not bothering to stick to it religiously.

I prefer more project based learning style -so I read books closer to that style.

I have a limited buget and can't get it from the library so reading TWTM is one of those things I'll get round to one day:001_smile:

What I love about the approach is that it applies to all areas of interest/expertise. If you are a good writer and a good thinker, it will help you when you do any other subject. Say your child wanted to get a doctorate in a Science field - learning how to write and defend her position will be a must!

:iagree: Another math/science household that is following WTM. History isn't really our focus, even though it may seem like it when talking about WTM. History is a fun part of our day, 3 days a week, but we spend waaaaaay more time on math. And if you count the "why" questions from my 5 year old, we spend more time on science too. :lol:

As an engineer, I see the benefit in WTM-style studies. The plan teaches children to think, to research, to use logic. Then there's rhetoric... very useful in the engineering world! I have an engineer friend who took a 6 week intensive rhetoric course at Harvard last year. His company sent him up there to do that, because he has to talk people into hiring his company to do work, he has to talk people into more funding for projects, etc. I think a student with a WTM-style education will be more than ready for a STEM career.

LOL I always feel like I can relate to your posts. Maybe I know why now! Another Engineer here (who wishes she had a Classical education)

I haven't read the book; but those who have read it (that I have talked to thus far) seem to feel that it is very science/math lite and very, very writing skills/lit/history heavy. Perhaps that is where my assumption is coming from - and I should bite the bullet, read the book. Lol.

What I love about the approach is that it applies to all areas of interest/expertise. If you are a good writer and a good thinker, it will help you when you do any other subject. Say your child wanted to get a doctorate in a Science field - learning how to write and defend her position will be a must!

I haven't read the book; but those who have read it (that I have talked to thus far) seem to feel that it is very science/math lite and very, very writing skills/lit/history heavy. Perhaps that is where my assumption is coming from - and I should bite the bullet, read the book. Lol.

I think there is some truth to that, but there is some justification for it. It used to be assumed that by the time people got to university, they would already have a basic liberal arts background and be able to write well, read intelligently and critically, consider an argument, and know some substantial history. In most cases they would also have a solid background in math and also natural history particularly by actually going outside and experiencing things.

Then they would be able to go on and specialize in various technical fields with the ability to persue them in a thoughtful way. The goal being not just to produce a technician who can "do" science in a lab, but a real scientist who really understands what science is and how it works from an epistomological perspective; who can take inspiration from and see connections between different types of knowledge; and who can think about the implications of the work he is doing in the human and moral sphere.

Somehow this idea has got lost in how we educate ourselves in recent decades though.

My husband who was a chemistry major really shocked me when he told me that they had never studied the theory of the scientific method or what the foundations of scientific thinking were in university. They relied entirely on what they had been taught in grade eight in public school. That has been reinforced by other scientists I have talked to, and I think it is a bit disturbing myself.

That's why I think it is important to spend time on these things no matter what kids plan to do in the future.

I've read it multiple times. I own the old version, marked up and well-worn.

Not even once.

Yes, you should read the book. It does lean towards writing/history/literature, but that is NOT the end of it's usefulness. Even if you don't follow SWB's every recommendation (I don't. I've got a "quirky" learner too.;)), it's a goldmine.

I truly love SWB's writing advice/materials. It's focused on building skills. Whatever your dc do when they grow up, they will benefit from such focused and thorough writing instruction. (...and, yeah, I had to break it to my ds8 that archaeologists have to write :tongue_smilie:...)

Honestly, I think it's important to offer a well-rounded early education. If your dc want to go into politics for example, you will be doing your entire country a disservice by shortchanging history...I'll refrain from giving samples from real life.:001_huh: How do you know that one of your dc won't grow up to be President?:lol: (I'm playing with you...but it could happen.)

Besides, the exact areas where we push, the child will avoid...and the exact areas we forbid, the child will rush towards will all the enthusiasm of youth. You are dooming yourself to humanity majors living in your basement if you don't let them get it out now.:auto:

I've skimmed it several times, but not read it cover-cover.

Ditto. Planning to do so again soon :) I have been meaning to read it straight through, but up until now, I've mostly just read certain sections, not cover to cover. I ended up voting "no" since I haven't "read it" read it, but I suppose it would be a yes in this instance, so the poll is off by one ;)

Not even once.

We're math and science focused here, too; one thing you'll like if you do read it is that it is well-organized :). I do think she misses the point of science entirely and math, too; everybody thinks they hate math 'cause they hate arithmetic, but my mathematician and physicist friends take no joy in cranking out numerical answers to equations. At any rate, check it out from your library (maybe?) and see if it seems useful. Either you'll like it (me!) or not (scientist DH would never, never use it -- but he'd never stay home and school the children, either!)