Menu

Would you get sick of pizza?

Pizza every week, yay or nay?  

1. 1. Pizza every week, yay or nay?

• I'd so eat pizza every week
    • Every week is too often! I want variety!
    • Every other week would be fine
    • Other

Please answer my super hard poll.

For a weekly, middle of the week, evening fellowship and Bible study time for the whole family, how would you feel about pizza?

A few details- the pizza and other food is free, we're not even collecting an offering. Really want people just to come.

With it we have salad and garlic bread, as well as beverages and desserts.

Would you get bored with the same menu, or like the predictability?

Every week, no problem. I'm Italian-American. Friday night was pizza night, every week, without fail, and we sometimes had it another night, too.

Now, every day, I'd get sick of it. At one point when DH was working on his dissertation and I was teaching two classes, we were ordering in pizza all the time. One day the doorbell rang and DS, who was maybe 3 or 4 at the time, said, "It sounds like pizza!" Now that's when you're eating pizza too often!

I think that no matter what you do, someone's going to have issues. Too fatty, too carby, too heartburn-inducing, etc. Just ignore it and do what you want to do. Pizza is one of the rare food items that will appeal to *most* of the masses.

The bonus here, is if everyone knows that each week is pizza, salad, and garlic bread, if they didn't like it or didn't care to eat it, they could just bring something different for themselves.

This is one reason why we don't participate in church fellowship activities. My kids can't eat pizza.

Pizza is cheap. They bring it in for many adult activities and every single youth activity.

Eating is part of fellowship. My kids have always felt a little on the outside. They handle things well now and don't mind spending an evening drinking sodas while friends eat, but they won't do that at church because they felt excluded previously. Most of the other kids at church have been there since young ages and never felt that exclusion. It's one thing to miss out at other activities, but I think church is a place one should feel included.

It's nice to offer pizza and something else, even salad or fruit.

I will say I do love pizza and would probably eat it weekly if available, but not necessarily the pizza from the cheapest delivery place in town.

Homemade pizza wouldn't blow your diet. I make a whole wheat crust in my bread machine (45 minute cycle) and I don't overload the pizza with cheese. I use veggie toppings. Very yummy and nutritious. I would eat it every week except for the mess it makes in my kitchen.

Homemade is good, but I'm not up to making pizza for 100 people. ;)

For a weekly, middle of the week, evening fellowship and Bible study time for the whole family, how would you feel about pizza?

A few details- the pizza and other food is free, we're not even collecting an offering. Really want people just to come.

Oh, duh--I skipped this post and just read the poll.

I don't think I'd like pizza every week at church. Sorry.

Homemade is good, but I'm not up to making pizza for 100 people. ;)

Oops. Like Chris in VA, I skimmed over your post and missed the part about whether I'd want it at church every week.

I wouldn't. But I also know it's hard to plan meals for 100 people that don't take a lot of pre-planning and work. So I don't know what an alternate suggestion would be.

I was on a strict diet recently and we were attending an event that I knew would only have Costco pizza to eat. I brought my own yummy meal so I didn't feel deprived.

After eating pizza at youth group, at every college gathering, at every grad. school Bible study, every time someone moves, etc., etc., etc. , I'm pretty sick of pizza. In particular, the kind of pizza that appears at these events (in other words, not very good). IMO it's annoying when organizers have the attitude "Hey, we're having pizza! Everyone will love coming just for that!". I really like GOOD pizza occasionally (once or twice a month). If I'm going to a pizza-only event, I usually eat at home before or after.

That said, lots of people like pizza. It's a cheap and easy way to feed a crowd. A PP mentioned pasta, which could be a nice change of pace, as could a salad night with more substantial add-ins. Soup or chili and bread maybe?

One other thought: sometimes with several children, esp. younger ones, it's just easier for people to eat a sandwich at home before Bible study than to manage everyone eating pizza (or something else) at someone else's home.

Sorry if this all comes across as negative! It is meant to be helpful to you!

I think the predictability would be nice. It would become "pizza Wednesday." I think people would enjoy that. Also, you said it was free which makes it even more enjoyable for a lot of families.

I think it is a great thing!!

I think the predictability would be nice. It would become "pizza Wednesday." I think people would enjoy that. Also, you said it was free which makes it even more enjoyable for a lot of families.

I think it is a great thing!!

That was my thought- although this has provided me some interesting thoughts. :001_smile:

I think that no matter what you do, someone's going to have issues. Too fatty, too carby, too heartburn-inducing, etc. Just ignore it and do what you want to do. Pizza is one of the rare food items that will appeal to *most* of the masses.

The bonus here, is if everyone knows that each week is pizza, salad, and garlic bread, if they didn't like it or didn't care to eat it, they could just bring something different for themselves.

:iagree:

If you are willing to add a vegetable platter that could be nice. I wouldn't suggest a fruit platter since those are more expensive, and to me not as filling. But a vegetable platter and maybe a dip. That will be something most people with special food needs can eat.

I don't particularly care for pizza. We eat it maybe once or twice a year on our own, plus my kids have it a few more times a year at end of the season sports parties or friends' birthdays.

I'd be fine with it served every week, though. I'd happily bring my own food, and would find doing so much easier if I always knew what was expected on the fellowship menu :) I think if I were a guest (as opposed to a planner) I'd like a different choice each week, or every other week. First week pizza, second week hoagies, third week whatever, etc. but the pizza every week wouldn't be a dealbreaker or anything.

If you are willing to add a vegetable platter that could be nice. I wouldn't suggest a fruit platter since those are more expensive, and to me not as filling. But a vegetable platter and maybe a dip. That will be something most people with special food needs can eat.

Veggie platter as well as salad? Or instead of? I think it'd drive costs up having both every week in decent quantities.

That was my thought- although this has provided me some interesting thoughts. :001_smile:

I realize there will ALWAYS be people who will find something to complain about -- even pizza! But, you are doing this free of charge, and you are not forcing them to eat it. I hardly think anyone with any semblance of manners could rightly complain about weekly free pizza and salad offered with kind-heartedness. :001_smile:

I realize there will ALWAYS be people who will find something to complain about -- even pizza! But, you are doing this free of charge, and you are not forcing them to eat it. I hardly think anyone with any semblance of manners could rightly complain about weekly free pizza and salad offered with kind-heartedness. :001_smile:

Aw, thanks! We've had 3 weeks of this so far- with rotating meals. :001_smile: I just want this to be a fun, happy time for everyone and I'd love the meal not to be a barrier to that. I tend to be a worrier. :tongue_smilie:

Veggie platter as well as salad? Or instead of? I think it'd drive costs up having both every week in decent quantities.

I personally would do it instead of. But that is just because I'm vegetarian. The most common salad is caesar salad which likely contains fish. or there is the question of bacon bits. Or appetite to something in the salad dressing.

You could also trying do one, one week, the other the other week and see which is more popular.

Please note i could be offering a biased opinion. On my wedding the cater replaced the vegetarian option with meat balls. The bacon free sald with extra bacon bits. I got bread and water for my wedding. :glare: mind you it was god bread.

My kids would eat it every week -my DH would eat it every day.

I'm one of those weirdo's who actually HATES Pizza (and I eat just about anything) so once would be too much for me BUT I'd eat whatever else was there without complaining that it was pizza every week - I'm easy :D

Just a thought - at our church we have Soup Sunday's once a month. Soup is easy to make and cheap and if you make a bean soup keeping the vegie's in mind (not using animal based stock etc) then everyone will be happy. Serve it alongside the pizza so people can choose between soup and salad or pizza and salad :D

I love soup and salad :D

Just a thought - at our church we have Soup Sunday's once a month. Soup is easy to make and cheap and if you make a bean soup keeping the vegie's in mind (not using animal based stock etc) then everyone will be happy. Serve it alongside the pizza so people can choose between soup and salad or pizza and salad :D

I love soup and salad :D

Soup is a lot more clean-up, though! And we do soup at other things throughout the week. :001_smile: