Menu

Help! Need alcohol. . . hate the taste.

Ipsey

Well, I feel sort of silly posting this, but I'd like some suggestions.

I've always been mostly a teetotaler, not because I think alcohol is bad, so much as I hate the taste of it.

My husband, however, typically has a glass of wine at dinner several times a week, but he has to drink alone because it all makes me gag. Even after several years living in Europe, where I finally built up a tolerance. Now, it's gone because I didn't have any interest in maintaining it.

Frankly, I'm so exhausted and stressed out these days, I'd just love a little relaxer in the evenings. I've been thinking about trying wine coolers, or something. The last thing I even came close to liking was cherry cordial, years ago. I guess I just want something that's really flavorful--like cough syrup, so I don't have to taste the alcohol.

What do you suggest? Anyone have anything that might help me with a little evening unwind? (I do yoga and meditate, so that's already there. I'm looking specifically for a tippling suggestion :))

Thanks!

You could put something like cherry cordial or Bailey's Irish Cream over ice cream.

Honestly is you are really looking for the alcohol to unwind, you need more than just a taste, few sips, small amount mixed with something. You need a glass or even two.

I guess I would suggest you find a fruit juice you like and add something big shot of vodka or rum (not spiced) add ice or chill the drink. Get an alcohol that doesn't have much taste and add it to something with a lot of taste.

You could do a little bit of either Captain Morgan (rum) or Parrot Bay (coconut rum) in a glass of coke with ice. You control the amount of alcohol and it adds more of a flavour than an alcohol taste. I don't like most wines and I don't do hard liquers like vodka or whiskey. I had DiGeorgno (sp) a couple of times, but that's about it.

Thanks, everyone!

These sound good.

I've never had any hard alcohol. Didn't know rum and tequila have less flavor than others. I like the idea of mixing with fruit juice or something to mask the taste. I don't know any cocktails. . .I guess I can learn. I'm going to go slowly. Probably just find one thing I can tolerate and tipple that every now and then.

Any more suggestions?

Sometimes when I just want something light and fruity I will mix wine and a fruit spritzer 50/50.

Light and refreshing ;).

Do you like sweet? When we were just coming out of our conservative Christian (never drink alcohol) days, we drank quite a bit of Barefoot's Moscato. It is very sweet!

Sometimes when I just want something light and fruity I will mix wine and a fruit spritzer 50/50.

Light and refreshing ;).

Do you like sweet? When we were just coming out of our conservative Christian (never drink alcohol) days, we drank quite a bit of Barefoot's Moscato. It is very sweet!

NRGH.

Hubby's been trying a different bottle of wine every few nights, and every single wine makes me want to hurl. Red, white, even roses that I used to be ok with. Even the Barefoot Moscato (that I've had several friends suggest). That was one of the worst. Really, I almost couldn't swallow it.

I don't know what it is!

I think I just need to give up on wines :(

My French ancestors are rolling in their graves.

I like Mike's Hard stuff - I prefer the limeade and black cherry, the lemonade is actually my least favorite.

I do NOT like wine and wine coolers are only okay. I also tried some watermelom smirinoff something or other that was good.

My favorite evening/ cold weather drink is hot chocolate with peppermint scnaps.

If you like sweet, you might go with rum in soda. Rum & coke is classic, but I prefer rum & ginger beer (or ginger ale). Bourbon in ginger ale is good, too. The stronger-tasting the soda, of course, the less likely you'll taste the alcohol.

Or maybe champagne mixed with Guinness stout, if you're looking for something a little less sweet.

NRGH.

Hubby's been trying a different bottle of wine every few nights, and every single wine makes me want to hurl. Red, white, even roses that I used to be ok with. Even the Barefoot Moscato (that I've had several friends suggest). That was one of the worst. Really, I almost couldn't swallow it.

I don't know what it is!

I think I just need to give up on wines :(

My French ancestors are rolling in their graves.

Maybe it's just not something that agrees with you?

Find something else to unwind with. Perhaps you could take up smoking instead? :D

Have to second Mike's Hard Lemonade. And if I remember correctly it comes in a few flavors - delicious!!

Also, wine coolers. I find after 2-3 I usually feel quite calm and pleasant!

So true. Why, exactly, did wine coolers fall out of vogue? They're so sweet and fruity and girly (no matter what Bruce Willis tried to tell us back in the '80s).

If you like sweet, you might go with rum in soda. Rum & coke is classic, but I prefer rum & ginger beer (or ginger ale). Bourbon in ginger ale is good, too. The stronger-tasting the soda, of course, the less likely you'll taste the alcohol.

Or maybe champagne mixed with Guinness stout, if you're looking for something a little less sweet.

Heh, no beer. Beer should all be poured back in the horse it came out of.

So true. Why, exactly, did wine coolers fall out of vogue? They're so sweet and fruity and girly (no matter what Bruce Willis tried to tell us back in the '80s).

I think after many people (who shall remain nameless) had their first experiences with alcohol in HS with wine coolers they lost their cool factor! I went from wine coolers in HS to Jeagermeister in college (yuck!!!). Now just one glass of red wine with DH at night for the heart!

Yes, I've been thinking about that. I actually mentioned that to hubs tonight. I'm glad to have a couple of good options, now :)

Vodka mixed in Welch's grape juice and a small amount of cranberry juice. I can't taste the vodka at all like this.

I do not enjoy the taste of most alcohol at all. I do however LOVE Mike's Hard Lemonades (can no longer drink because of gluten issues, boohoo) and Carolan's Creme Liquor. I would fill up half a coffee cup with Carolan's and the other half with water. Smooth, yummy even. :) Watch that cream stuff though it can pack on the weight if you drink it often. That stuff has ALOT of calories. I don't drink that anymore either though.

I haven't had a drink in 14 years. I have a history of family with alcoholism, but that's not why. I, like you, hate the taste. Beer is the absolute worst, and I grew up near Milwaukee WI, so people think I'm looney.

When I did have a drink now and then I liked Malibu coconut rum with Pineapple or orange juice. Because of the juice you really don't taste the rum other than the yummy coconut flavor.

Um, because they taste like fermented kool-aid!

OP, have you ever tried plum sake or cherry sake? It's not sickly sweet like moscato or strong like scotch. If you liked cherry cordial, you may tolerate cherry sake . . . only slightly sweet, very mellow, and designed to be sipped from tiny shot-glass-sized, teacup-looking sake cups. I like Fu-Ki brand:D

I don't know that I would try too hard. I can't stand the taste of coffee, but I like tea, so I drink that. If your husband likes mixed drinks, get a few recipes and mix yourself the virgin version, give him the hard stuff and have a drink together. When I make sangria (you may like that) I mix a version for the kids that has ginger ale instead of wine.

If that fails you can always make jello shots! :lol:

I hate beer and most alcohol...but love tequila. lol Go figure, right? I haven't drank it in years...but if you do a shot, it's over with in a matter of seconds. Actually, do the lick/salt/lick/drink/lime.....you should be good to go. My only other suggestion is some Nyquil. Haha

Hey, here's a tip.... if you brush your teeth first, wine tastes very sweet!!! I drink merlot, mostly...

I am the wrong gal to comment on Mike's. I try it each summer and I just don't enjoy it... boo for me... lol (I don't like the tartness... but, I get a mixed variety each summer just because everyone here talks about it... gosh, peer pressure....)(lol)

I would second the kahlua suggestion! It's very relaxing and sweet. Start off with small amounts, though...

I loved tequila sunrise... with orange juice and all... it's nice and sweet and also relaxing! As someone mentioned, make it yourself so you can control your alcohol ratio. You can look up recipes online, etc.

Hard cider? (My favorite fall drink. ;))

Otherwise, I suggest either very sweet drinks that mask the taste of the liquor (i.e. Mikes, froo-froo frozen drinks like pina coladas, margaritas etc) OR really, really, really, really GOOD liquor- a super-quality nice bourbon over ice/maybe a splash of ginger ale tastes sooooooo nice to me. And I am NOT a liquor drinker!

Edited by Enough

Strawberry daiquiris are nice. I have NO tolerance for alcohol at all anymore. Even a few tablespoons make me very tipsy and sleepy.

I used to have some tolerance for it and could drink maybe half of a strawberry daiquiri and could be fine. If I drank more than that, I started feeling sick.

There was another drink that I liked that I think was called a zombie. I know it had rum and orange juice in it.

I hate alcohol, but I LOVE Mud Slides!! TGIFridays has a mix, but I prefer the Kalhua (SP?) mini bottles. Sometimes I drink to, but most of the time I get a four pack and enjoy them over four days. I get some every couple of months. Yummy stuff!

I also love to sip straight Ammaretto. You have to get the expensive kind - DiSarinio. The cheap stuff is exactly that - cheap!

I don't like to taste my alcohol.

My favorite drinks:

Frozen margarita no salt

Grape Smirnoff Ice

Sweet tea vodka mixed with sweetened iced tea and a splash of lemom juice

I just found today that I like a lot, Arbor Mist Raspberry Sparkleing Wine. It is my the champagnes. It is a bit tart but good. Two glasses and I am relaxed.

I thought I didn't like the taste of alcohol and for many reasons didn't drink until after 30. It turns out what I really don't like is any drink described as sweet, fruity wines or most mixed drinks (which is what I started out trying, fruity wines, fruity drinks etc etc.) I hate everything until I tried scotch. After that I discovered that the wine I can tolerate is usually described as peppery etc. So maybe if the fruity doesn't work for you, try scotch! (if it's not great scotch you could try it with coke, water or over ice but great scotch is amazing neat!)

I also hate the taste of most alcohol's, though I quite enjoy wine, and beer. However, as far as hard liquor, I prefer a Vodka-7 with a twist of lemon. I rarely ever drink it but outside of wine and beer it is the only alcohol I can drink without gagging. I find most cocktails to taste worse to me than the alcohol itself, way too sweet, and I do not like juice. There is 3 times I enjoy juice, in a mimosa, in a spritzer and in a daquiri.

I don't drink alcohol anymore, but before I quit, the only thing I liked to drink was a frozen strawberry margarita. I could handle a shot of tequila, too.

I can't drink Vodka mixed into anything, because I have too many vomit memories of that from college. Same with wine coolers. And shots of anything else. And beer. :lol: Those were some good years. :D