Menu

Help! Need alcohol. . . hate the taste.

Ipsey

Brilliant!!!! Hard Cider should be perfect!!! No taste to gag on, and no hard alcohol to give a headache.

I've been investigating ciders for the last 6 months since I discovered them and went to a cider festival. I prefer cider to wine as the alcohol content is lower. I'm amazed at the variety and differences in taste of the ciders from boutique brewers. I don't know what the US cide scene is like, but here there are some stunning new makers here.

Get Ipsey Tipsy with the Bite of the Sprite!

Actually, no, I'm not currently drinking. Why do you ask? :001_smile:

Awesome!

Great chuckle :)

Thanks so much; I knew I could count on y'all!

Mmm, yes, I did like hard cider once upon a time. I believe I may look for some. Maybe the first thing I'll try is the coconut rum pineapple juice, since I love pineapple juice.

I was actually in a pub in Ireland once, and a young man asked to buy me a drink. I asked for pineapple juice, and he was completely horrified. He convinced me to select a hard cider instead. :)

That's actually the end of the story. True facts! :)

I wish you good luck in your endeavor. I love beer, tequila, wine, rum, for the TASTE as well as the effect. However, the alcohol is no longer agreeing with me. Going my way (trying to find a decent non-alcoholic beer and such) is pretty dreadful, so I hope your path is easier! :)

As a close relative of many alcoholics, I can't help but wonder why someone so lucky as to be turned off by alcohol would deliberately try to find a way to like it? Honestly, your post scares the heck out of me. I've seen more than one loved one struggling to stay off it, but I've never seen anyone try to stay on it!

Is alcohol really the only way to relieve your stress? Please, please, think about this.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

As a close relative of many alcoholics, I can't help but wonder why someone so lucky as to be turned off by alcohol would deliberately try to find a way to like it? Honestly, your post scares the heck out of me. I've seen more than one loved one struggling to stay off it, but I've never seen anyone try to stay on it!

Is alcohol really the only way to relieve your stress? Please, please, think about this.

Thanks, Amy.

I do appreciate your concern. But, I'm not trying to "stay on" anything. I'm not "on" alcohol at all, no more than probably most of the posters who have posted here (and most assuredly less).

Alcohol is not the only way to relieve my stress, no. I believe I mentioned this in my first post. I'd like to vary my routine is all. :)

I can understand why the OP alarmed you given your experiences but I think for most of us posting, alcohol doesn't have the same implications.

It certainly can cause a great of harm for many people but for others, it's just a relaxing drink on occasion and there's no impulse to use it as a crutch or to over-drink.

I can understand why the OP alarmed you given your experiences but I think for most of us posting, alcohol doesn't have the same implications.

It certainly can cause a great of harm for many people but for others, it's just a relaxing drink on occasion and there's no impulse to use it as a crutch or to over-drink.

:iagree: Amy, your experiences certainly color the way you would view a thread like this, but believe me, not everyone who touches alcohol, even regularly, will abuse it or become an alcoholic. :grouphug:

I haven't had a drink in 14 years. I have a history of family with alcoholism, but that's not why. I, like you, hate the taste. Beer is the absolute worst, and I grew up near Milwaukee WI, so people think I'm looney.

I grew up there too, and went to a UW university where grat quantities of beer was consumed. I dabbled a little freshman year, and quickly decided it wasn't for me. It never impacted my social life as I found that people in my circle were very understanding. At the crazy band parties they'd pour me Sprite, and on St. Patrick's Day add some food coloring so I'd not stand out from the green beer.:D

I'm another one that likes Carolan's Irish Cream.

Both of my parents were alcoholics, but I enjoy wine and a glass here and there is not a bad thing if you can moderate.

What wine have you tried? I thought I hated wine because people kept getting me to try White Zinfandel....

Friends don't let friends drink White Zin.

Merlot - just as bad. When I finally started trying other wines, I changed my mind.

It may take time, but try a wide variety of wines - both red and white. Viogner, muscacto, pinot noir, pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc - there are some really good ones out there :)

I'm fond of amaretto with Ginger beer (like Ginger ale but spicier - I like Maine Root, it has a great bite, but isn't as sweet as Reed's or other brands), and a squeeze of lemon when it's warm out.

Hard ciders can be delicious. I like some better than others. Right now, the Woodchuck autumn brew (with vanilla, warm spices) should be out. It's a limited time offering, though, and last year I was disappointed to find it replaced with their winter brew, which I don't care for, by Thanksgiving.

Both of my parents were alcoholics, but I enjoy wine and a glass here and there is not a bad thing if you can moderate.

What wine have you tried? I thought I hated wine because people kept getting me to try White Zinfandel....

Friends don't let friends drink White Zin.

Merlot - just as bad. When I finally started trying other wines, I changed my mind.

It may take time, but try a wide variety of wines - both red and white. Viogner, muscacto, pinot noir, pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc - there are some really good ones out there :)

You have a point about the Zinfandel, but you need to take back what you said about merlot!!!

Thanks, everyone!

These sound good.

I've never had any hard alcohol. Didn't know rum and tequila have less flavor than others. I like the idea of mixing with fruit juice or something to mask the taste. I don't know any cocktails. . .I guess I can learn. I'm going to go slowly. Probably just find one thing I can tolerate and tipple that every now and then.

Any more suggestions?

If you are looking for something like cough syrup, I suggest a glass of port or sweet vermouth (over ice or not). Both are kind of like wine only sweeter and have a good kick. They are definitely "relaxers." I find cocktails with fruit juices, wine coolers, etc to not be the kind of drink that takes the edge off.

I really can't tolerate the taste of beer/wine/other alcohol very well either. Blech! That being said, I've still managed to find a few things that are actually pretty good where you can't taste the booze:

-Malibu rum (coconut flavored) with ice and orange juice

-Kahlua and Bailey's over ice with cream (like a melted milkshake!)

-Ice tea flavored vodka mixed with good lemonade over ice.

-Strawberry daquiris, pina coladas and other frozen, fruity drinks.

-Lindeman's framboise lambic. It does not taste like beer at all, I promise!

Why not concoct something relaxing that you would like - maybe a decafe chai tea or mocha? Some sort of evening treat (hot cocoa?). Otherwise a think amaretto or another sweet liquor would fit the bill (and you do not need much as it is stronger than wine but more like a thick cough syrup so sipping it slowly can take a while). Liquors do not need to be refrigerated and last a loooong time.

Edited by JFSinIL

Why not concoct something relaxing that you would like - maybe a decafe chai tea or mocha? Some sort of evening treat (hot cocoa?). Otherwise a think amaretto or another sweet liquor would fit the bill (and you do not need much as it is stronger than wine but more like a think cough syrup so sipping it slowly can take a while). Liquors do not need to be refrigerated and last a loooong time.

It's a good suggestion, and one I actually already do. Hubby and I always have a hot drink, (I prefer green tea/white tea fusion! or this green tea passion fruit thing Lipton does) downstairs and watch reruns of The Office. Seriously, every night. :D

I grew up there too, and went to a UW university where grat quantities of beer was consumed. I dabbled a little freshman year, and quickly decided it wasn't for me. It never impacted my social life as I found that people in my circle were very understanding. At the crazy band parties they'd pour me Sprite, and on St. Patrick's Day add some food coloring so I'd not stand out from the green beer.:D

I'm another one that likes Carolan's Irish Cream.

:) Yes, I've never had a problem with it either. No one ever gave me grief about not tippling. My brother, too, seldom drinks. In high school, he said he just carried a Pepsi around at all of the parties and no one ever bothered him.

Now, however, he's a complete soda pop junkie. Mountain Dew, Pepsi. Guy can drink 3 a day, though his wife gives him the old side-eye. Oh well, he's 6'2" and 170 pounds. I guess it hasn't caught up with him yet.

:lol:

The OP already shared she has other ways to relieve the stress but would like to have an alcoholic drink while sitting with her dh who is also drinking an alcoholic drink. I highly doubt she is about to become an alcoholic just by having a social drink with her husband. SHe did not post asking what to drink to get sloshed the fastest. I also am confident that most that replied drink only socially and rarely at that. I myself replied, and only drink a coulple glasses of wine a year, maybe 1 beer per year, and 1 mimisa or spritzer per year. Grande total very low, but I have a few I enjoy when I have them and shared with her. I don't see anything in her post to scare the heck out of you. A responsible adult is more than able to have an occasional drink with their husband without suddenly needing an intervention.

The OP already shared she has other ways to relieve the stress but would like to have an alcoholic drink while sitting with her dh who is also drinking an alcoholic drink. I highly doubt she is about to become an alcoholic just by having a social drink with her husband. SHe did not post asking what to drink to get sloshed the fastest. I also am confident that most that replied drink only socially and rarely at that. I myself replied, and only drink a coulple glasses of wine a year, maybe 1 beer per year, and 1 mimisa or spritzer per year. Grande total very low, but I have a few I enjoy when I have them and shared with her. I don't see anything in her post to scare the heck out of you. A responsible adult is more than able to have an occasional drink with their husband without suddenly needing an intervention.

I am sorry--I really was trying to not be heavy-handed. I truly wasn't accusing her or anyone else of being an alcoholic.

I like Mike's Hard stuff - I prefer the limeade and black cherry, the lemonade is actually my least favorite.

I do NOT like wine and wine coolers are only okay. I also tried some watermelom smirinoff something or other that was good.

My favorite evening/ cold weather drink is hot chocolate with peppermint scnaps.

:iagree:

Wine in any form gives me a headache. I think I must be sensitive to nitrates in it or something.

Maybe this is the case with you, OP? It can happen later after you used to be able to enjoy it. I drank wine coolers in my younger days without headaches.

Have you tried Mike's Hard Lemonades? :D

Pineapple juice and vodka?

Cranberry juice and vodka?

Margaritas?

I don't care for rum.

And this one too - -Ice tea flavored vodka mixed with good lemonade over ice.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Try Vanilla vodka in pineapple juice with crushed ice.

And I hate the taste of alcohol too.

ITA with Mrs. Mungo ! Mike's Hard ! Get the variety pack ... so many wonderful flavors ! :D

Some other fun things - Malibu rum (coconut flavored) with a little pineapple juice in cold seltzer water - like a sparking piña colada without the cream - or a little Midori (melon flavored) in cold Sprite or 7Up. Or Captain Morgan spiced rum in 7up - tastes like cream soda !