Menu

The advice from WTM that nobody ever mentions here!

A two hour quiet time in the afternoon!!!

No one ever talks about this! I got my copy a couple of weeks ago and have been reading it and found that gem last week. I give the kids 2 hours off at noon and I go relax and/or nap and we come back in two hours and finish up without stress and without me feeling guilty about wasting time. Jessie Wise is brilliant.

Now, why is THIS not considered as important as so much of the other stuff in that book people??:glare: I would think it's fundamental when you're committing to a style that demands as much as Classical homeschooling does.

No one ever talks about this! I got my copy a couple of weeks ago and have been reading it and found that gem last week. I give the kids 2 hours off at noon and I go relax and/or nap and we come back in two hours and finish up without stress and without me feeling guilty about wasting time. Jessie Wise is brilliant.

Now, why is THIS not considered as important as so much of the other stuff in that book people??:glare: I would think it's fundamental when you're committing to a style that demands as much as Classical homeschooling does.

It was mandatory in our household.

It has been fundamental for us forever! I believed in regular naps for my kids when they were babies, and when they stopped actually sleeping (well, actually, dd-almost 11 sometimes still sleeps! :D), I still kept that after-lunch 2 hour nap. My family all needs that downtime in the middle of the day.

It has been fundamental for us forever! I believed in regular naps for my kids when they were babies, and when they stopped actually sleeping (well, actually, dd-almost 11 sometimes still sleeps! :D), I still kept that after-lunch 2 hour nap. My family all needs that downtime in the middle of the day.

I kept trying to push through it. D'uh. Then I'd inevitably crawl into bed to crash (during the last few months anyway) and when I finally work up we'd maybe, maybe get back on track but not generally because there was no real time set to get back to work.

I'm learning.

I kept trying to push through it.

Through it after lunch, do you mean? I read and hear about people doing that, but I just can't. After tutoring/running between my kids for about 3.5 hours every morning, we ALL need time apart from each other before we finish things up for the day. Those two hours are also where I assign reading for content subjects. Or give them a pile of content-subject books to browse through. The kids relax during that time, so it's not torturous to them.

Through it after lunch, do you mean? I read and hear about people doing that, but I just can't. After tutoring/running between my kids for about 3.5 hours every morning, we ALL need time apart from each other before we finish things up for the day. Those two hours are also where I assign reading for content subjects. Or give them a pile of content-subject books to browse through. The kids relax during that time, so it's not torturous to them.

Yup, that's what I meant although I'd rarely manage to push through it since I got pregnant so then I'd just crash and the school day would deflate. Generally Harry would be finished anyway except for the stuff like science that tends to get pushed aside.

But yeah, this break, but a managed and accounted for break, has done wonders for me.

The reading is a good idea as well. I've been struggling a bit about when to work that in between down time, school and chores.

Edited by WishboneDawn

I mention this! The children and I ALL desprately need those couple of hours :tongue_smilie:. They are still learning to take some of the time to do homework-type independant work then, so that thye can get done earlier.

Two hours every afternoon 2-4 here. We all need a break. My 4 year old is having a hard time adjusting to it not being a nap :glare:, but we'll get there.

We work hard from wake up (7 am) with only a 30 minute break between chores/breakfast and school and lunch (when I read aloud) until 2. We need some time without one another, with a good book, or a good sleep. It is an absolutely essential part of our day ... and I can tell the evening and the whole next day when it hasn't happened.

I have always done an hour quiet time but this school year, it has been really hard. I am schooling constantly from 9:00-5:00 (4 kids), except for making lunch, changing diapers, occupying toddler, etc. I miss my break!!! I need to make it happen somehow... it truly is my sanity. TWO hours sounds heavenly.

Interesting about the poster who has her kids go out. I think my kids might need more of that, too. Maybe we'll try half run around, half rest. But no getting hurt out there b/c I am OFF DUTY. ;)

Some kids can't be quiet during quiet time and it ends up being loud -get into a fight- make mama yell time. It just isn't worth the stress.:tongue_smilie:

Yes! I'm not sure how I would implement this with 3 boys who are ages 3, 4, and 5. They don't nap and it would be torture getting them to stay in a room and play quietly. I don't have enough bedrooms to separate all of them. I like the idea very much, though.

I'm watching those right now. It is soooo good to see her looking like a normal mom with a normal cluttered house and normal messy kids' rooms. :)

I agree!!:D

Jessie Wise is brilliant.

SWB has said that her mom, at the beginning of quiet time, would sprawl out on the couch with chocolate. By the end of quiet time she was sitting up and ready to go.

So I try to incorporate all the pieces - quiet time, sprawling, AND chocolate. :D

We've done this for years. My kids are 7, 4, and 18 months. I usually nurse baby down for a nap and then my 4 yo sometimes takes a nap next to me (about a third of the time). The 7 yo reads in peace or wraps up work that he needs to finish (if he was really dawdling to the point of being ridiculous). If the 4 yo doesn't nap she plays quietly, listens to books on CD, etc.

I started it w/my oldest when my 2nd child arrived.

I sometimes feel guilty knowing I could get a lot more done if we didn't have quiet time, but as an introvert, I consider it absolutely essential to my mental health. We are back downstairs by 2:30-3 and then they play outside. I start dinner, and DH is home by 5:15. It helps break up the day and helps me stay somewhat sane.

Quiet time is my favorite time of day :D Right after lunch my toddler goes down for his nap, my 5yo heads to his room to play quietly for an hour(it is the only time he is quiet all day), and my oldest reads for an hour in his room. I usually sit at the computer, or on a rough day, finally make it into the shower.

After lunch, we go to my room, and I read aloud. Each of the littler 2 (ages 2 and 4 get to pick a book), and I choose a chapter book to read to my almost-7yo. Often the almost 10yo listens too, but he is not required. After I read, e have a 40 minute quiet time. It makes a HUGE difference in our afternoons.

We are in a bit of a transitional period with this right now. In mid summer, we moved, and now the 2 boys share a room and the 2 girls share a room (whereas before the older 3 each had their own room). The room sharing does make it a bit trickier, but so far it is working okay. If they need to be apart, we can send 1 to the basement, 1 to the family room.... Also, my 2yo no longer naps most days, but she is not quite old enough to really "get" the concept of quiet time yet. So, right now she mainly hangs out with her sister and checks in with me every little bit. I'm pushing through though, and I know that before long she will get it and I will get a real break.

Now, why is THIS not considered as important as so much of the other stuff in that book people?? I would think it's fundamental when you're committing to a style that demands as much as Classical homeschooling does.

Absolutely! We've been having quiet time since my oldest was an infant - we just never stopped after she outgrew her nap - by which time my 2nd child was around and napping in the afternoon - and now that he's (mostly) outgrown his nap - I have a 3rd who needs a nap. And we all need time in our separate corners so we don't have to kill each other before dinner. ;)

I wonder if I wll have to keep having babies, just to keep quiet time going?!

I do it and I never heard of it except in the WTM. When my daughter started skipping her naps, I just made her stay in there for "naptime" anyways. She doesn't know any different, and I get a 2 hours. She usually plays and looks at books. And really, she needs the downtime too. She's always so much more grumpy on days we skip it (which is rarely).

It's some of the best parenting advice I ever got and I will keep it up for as long as my kids are home.

ETA: It's not really a quiet time so much as a rest/leave-mom-alone time for us. I don't really care if she is quiet if she is in her room playing.

Edited by MeaganS

We've done this for years. My kids are 7, 4, and 18 months. I usually nurse baby down for a nap and then my 4 yo sometimes takes a nap next to me (about a third of the time). The 7 yo reads in peace or wraps up work that he needs to finish (if he was really dawdling to the point of being ridiculous). If the 4 yo doesn't nap she plays quietly, listens to books on CD, etc.

I started it w/my oldest when my 2nd child arrived.

I sometimes feel guilty knowing I could get a lot more done if we didn't have quiet time, but as an introvert, I consider it absolutely essential to my mental health. We are back downstairs by 2:30-3 and then they play outside. I start dinner, and DH is home by 5:15. It helps break up the day and helps me stay somewhat sane.

See, now that I'm on this side of the quiet time I can see how it might actually be a pretty valuable gift to myself and the kids. Who does that after all anymore when there are calls to be made and chores to be done? Who recognizes the value of themselves and their value of their families as individuals that need time alone? Not many.

We have always done quiet time in the hour before bed but I'm now thinking we might do away with that in favour of an afternoon quiet time so we can have a bit more family time before bed.

Quiet time is an essential part of our day too - even on weekends. I strongly believe that the kids need it and that it is building a good habit of learning how to be alone and take time to oneself. We don't manage 2 hours - just 1.5 hours - and even at that I've had people look at me like I have 3 heads because I make my kids play in their rooms for that long! My 4yo isn't so good at it....Right now he does about 45 min in his room and 45 min playing in the main part of the house, but still independently. My 8yo has some independent school work to do during that time and my 6yo is a real "dreamer" and the time flies by for her :) I highly recommend to everyone I know that homeschools.

We've always had a 2 hour quiet time, but as my high schooler got older I started spending quiet time with him so we could discuss and work on things without the other kids interrupting. Now that I have a baby again, I spend the quiet time napping with him or laying with him while I read. It really cuts into our day now that my other kids are getting older, so as soon as baby is older and napping without me I'll probably have to spend that time doing school work with the middle school kids.

Mine are still small but K is just starting to get out of the nap stage. I make him go up to his bedroom after lunch for nap/rest time. I plan on continuing it throughout school as well. For me it's essential because I need the time to get my homework done (10 classes left!) or just some downtime. Sometimes I let the boys sleep on the couch in a living room and watch Shrek or something equally silly. Either way, the baby is asleep, the boys are quiet and I have an hour of sanity before we play in the afternoon and I start dinner. :tongue_smilie:

It was mandatory in our household.

:iagree: Still is! My kids finish up schoolwork, read, or do piano practice. I don't generally allow "free play", but I will on occasion. No tv, no screen time for us. When they were little they could read or nap. They hate naps ---- so they became voracious readers. LOL!!

We have manditory 2hr quiet time here. The kids have their own seperate spaces. Quiet time is the time between mommy going to work (at home) and daddy coming home. On my days off it is my alone time.

They both really enjoy their own time. My dd spends time on her craft projects and my ds spends time reading and sometimes listening to a book on CD. I think it is good to teach them to have some alone time, gather their thoughts, and do what they want to do.

I am the only parent I know that does it IRL.

We have always had quiet time also. We went straight from naps to quiet time. Since they didn't want to take naps, they were happy to have a quiet time. These days we are doing 75 minutes. They usually play outside before, if the weather is good. I definitely look forward to it and many times the boys look forward to it also.

We do quiet time too! I probably need it more than they do. I tried using my toddler's naptime as time to do school with DD6 because the little guy is a little tornado and can be very distracting. However after a couple of weeks, I realized I was becoming very grouchy and irritable in the evenings. I NEED that downtime to recharge in the afternoons. My kids play much more nicely together after they've had a break and some time to themselves.

We have an hour's playtime outdoors after lunch instead. I still get a break, but my boys need rowdy time instead of quiet time.

:iagree: My kids go outside after lunch (we call it recess for fun) and after our afternoon school session. I get a break (as much as I can with littles underfoot), and they get to burn off energy. Besides, all those hours outside on our acreage turns into great science experiences.