Menu

Anyone NOT get the Flu vac for themselves and kids?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've never gotten the flu shots. My kids are healthy as our dh and me, so I don't see the need. My parents get them because they are neither young or healthy. It doesn't protect against all strains and I think my kids get enough vaccines as it is. But if I had a kid with a severe health problem we would get the shot.

Last time I had the flu shot, I got 3 documented cases of the flu that year including two of the strains that were in the shot. It destroyed my faith in that vaccine. My opinions on other vaccines are different than my opinion on the flu shot, and my kids level on immunization varies based on that child's experience. A 1 in 100,000 reaction sucks if you are that 1.

Would you mind sharing why not? I know my kid's doctor will really push it when we go for a well-baby check and we have done them in the past. (and that was the year they got the flu). Anyways, I am not sure if I want to do them this year and just wanted some opionions.

Besides a history of vaccine reactions, everyone in our families that gets the flu vax, gets sicker. Those that avoid the vax are usually the healthiest. This has even been observed when those that typically vax don't and when those that typically don't vax do.

I've never had one, and neither have my kids.

When I'm unsure about (or don't want to do) something the doc recommends, I just say, "I'll think about it." If she keeps pushing, I might smile and say, "I'll do some reading. Thanks."

Doctor's advice is just that: advice. You're not required to take it. Unless there's an acute illness, you can take some time to educate yourself before you decide what to do.

HIH,

Lisa

my dh is the only one who has gotten the flu vaccine for the last several years. (he gets it free at his work) none of us have gotten the flu. yes, the kids get little viruses but nothing that's lasted more than 3 days or so.

oddly enough, my dh got his flu shot last week and this past weekend he was whining with his first "man-cold" of the season. :glare: yes, i showed him the man-cold video someone linked last week and he totally agreed that man-colds are far more severe than the female version.

We all got the flu shot 7 years ago and at least one person was sick in this house from October through March. Continuously. I had so many rounds of antibiotics for secondary infections, I ended up with a terrible case of colitis. It was our first and last year with the shot. We've had good winters since.

Peace,

Rene

We are split. I and 3 of my kids are quite healthy. I don't feel we need exposure to some of the things in that vaccine. For us, the risks outweigh the benefits. We skip the vaccines.

DH does get the flu shot, and so does my oldest son. Those two are very bad asthmatics, and a case of the flu often causes very severe lung problems that linger and linger for months. For them, the benefits outweigh the risks. Sometimes they still get the flu (not a covered strain or whatever). But we do all we can.

I also have little exposure really, as do my kids, because they are not in a typical school setting, daycare, whatever. DH has a large exposure at a large company where he works where everyone seems to turn up for work whether sick or not.

We have never had a flu shot. We have never had the flu. My kids had the usual childhood vaccinations, although my dd will not receive the Gardisil shot (and not because of anything Michelle Bachmann says ;)). Both of my kids went to preschool for several years, my dd to ps for a few. For the last three years, I have worked around small children (library children's dept.).

Why haven't we? Because I no longer trust a government that cries, "Wolf!" over everything when its dire predictions don't come true. Because I am a better judge of my family's medical needs. Because I will not be bullied by a doctor (who then threatens to drop a patient from the practice for harming the doctor/patient relationship). Because I do not blindly trust what a doctor, the AMA, the AAP, or most any federal agency recommends.

My dh has serious autoimmune issues. It is possible both he and I would get a flu shot down the road, if WE determine it is in the best interest of his health.

Oh boy, I didn't realize I have such a strong opinion.:blush5:

We immunize, but no flu shots.

The Air Force makes my husband get one, so he is the only one. They used to make me get one, I always got sick from it, I rarely got sick otherwise. Now that I have been promoted to mom, I don't get the shot and still rarely get the flu. But, I avoid a yearly sickness form the flu shot!

We are prone towards allergy, not flu--we are better off without the shot. Our immune systems run around finding things to go after.

In my early forties now... and I've had a real case of the flu twice in my life, at age 9 and at age 13. I have never taken the flu shot because I have been healthy and don't see the benefits.

Some of my children have had the flu shot... one with asthma. Another one cannot ever get that and some other shots as well because he has a documented allergy to egg. Another daughter doesn't get shots because of a documented severe reaction to immunizations... fortunately that happened when she was 14 and in good health and she is still in good health. As she laid on the bed, nurses freaked out, she was foaming at the mouth and had seizure like arm and leg jerks I turned to the Dr. and said, "This is why I HATE immunizations!" He assured me that the immunization was not to blame, that it was psychological for her.... but, no one will vaccinate her now! (I take that back, she did get a shot during her pregnancy for something that they told her was necessary... it wasn't rhogam, it was either flu or pertussis... don't remember)

Anyway... I am pro-delaying vaccinations. I've not had trouble with my pediatricians over the years, but... now my kids are practically grown and that's that...

Oh, my son who is autistic spectrum received one immunization the first week of his life. Dr's have not had him take vaccinations since. (At first he was allergic to every single formula (I had no breastmilk) and the Dr. wanted to watch for other allergies prior to immunizing... then it became more evident that he had signs of the spectrum...)

Flu shots? We basically ignore them, period.

I haven't read all the responses but here's my view.

I don't get them for myself or my children because my husband is required (he's military and unless you have an allergy to the vaccine components there's no way around getting it for him) and he's the only one of us in the last 14 years to ever get the flu. It never fails within 2 weeks of getting the vaccine he has the flu. Sure we've gotten the common cold, but not the flu, so I see no reason to get the vaccine. Making sure we avoid contact with those that have the flu and practice good handwashing/hygiene seems to keep us from catching it.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I'm asthmatic and still refuse the thing, I've had a few Dr. yell at me, but I stand my ground.

Edited by nukeswife

My kids have never gotten a flu shot. I just never saw the need. They are healthy and we promote frequent hand washing in our house.

When I was working full time my company gave them for free and I did get one for a few years. Then one year there was a shortage and I did not qualify for one. I did not have any more or less illnesses then previous years when I got the shot. I no longer saw a need for me to continue getting them.

My dh gets one every year as he believes they keep him healthier during the winter months.

I gotta say I was totally anti flu shots until last year. My kiddos got the flu shot by accident (LONG story ends with me fighting with dr.) and my husband and I did not! My kids didnt get sick all year!! OMGoodness. My hubby and I got so sick it was horrible.

This year I decided to give it a try again. We all got our shots already! Our arms hurt about 2-3 days but we are all better now.

I stopped giving the flu shots a few years back when we spent every month after that flu shot sick for a year!! Im crossing my fingers we stay healthy. Then 2 1-2 years ago my dd got the Swine Flu (tested) and she was sick over a month! Terrible!

Neither the kids nor I have ever had one. (Wait . . . My daughter might have gotten the shot one year when she was a school. I don't remember for sure.)

I'm knocking on the wood of my desk as I type this, but we are pretty healthy and hardly ever get the flu, anyway. My son and I were sick last year for the first time in ages, but it wasn't the flu.

My husband has gotten the shot through work a couple of times and has gotten sick each winter that he's done it.

It might well be coincidence on both sides, but I don't see a reason to change what's working.

We don't. I think dh did one year because he happened to be at the doctor's office around the time they were really pushing to get people vaxed for it. But otherwise, no.

We don't because we generally are all healthy. If we do get sick, we might get a virus that lasts a day or two. We don't usually get what I would consider to be a full blown case of the flu. Because of that, we've never seen the need.

We don't. If we had asthma, compromised immune symptoms, or had elderly family members we visited with regularly, I would reconsider. Our pediatrician will give them if you ask, but she doesn't usually recommend them for healthy kids. My LO is allergic to eggs, so I'm pretty sure he's a no go for it anyway.

As far as I can remember, I had the flu once back when I was a sophomore in college. I was really sick, and it was no fun. My now husband caught it from me, and he was also pretty sick. We've both only had the occasional mild cold since then.

Last time I had the flu shot, I got 3 documented cases of the flu that year including two of the strains that were in the shot. It destroyed my faith in that vaccine. My opinions on other vaccines are different than my opinion on the flu shot, and my kids level on immunization varies based on that child's experience. A 1 in 100,000 reaction sucks if you are that 1.

We don't get it because of stories like Karen's.

We are healthy and neither too old nor too young. We should be able to fight off most any viral infection.

We don't. If we had asthma, compromised immune symptoms, or had elderly family members we visited with regularly, I would reconsider.

I'll toss this one out:

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab000364.html

and this, which discusses impact on transmission when a health adult receives the influenza vaccination:

http://www.cochranejournalclub.com/vaccines-for-preventing-influenza-clinical/

from the above:

Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults

Tom Jefferson, Carlo Di Pietrantonj, Alessandro Rivetti, Ghada A Bawazeer, Lubna A Al-Ansary, Eliana Ferroni

Authors' conclusions: Influenza vaccines have a modest effect in reducing influenza symptoms and working days lost. There is no evidence that they affect complications, such as pneumonia, or transmission.

I dont see a reason for it. Every person I know who does get the shot gets the flu at least twice every season. Seems like a pointless intervention if you ask me.

For what its worth, as a whole our family gets sick once maybe twice a year. That includes colds, sore throats, flu, everything.

The best prevention is good nutrition in my opinion. :)

We don't get them. The last time I got a flu shot was when I was pregnant with my now three year old. I did not get the flu. But prior to that, the only years that I got REALLY sick were the years I had the shot. I don't see the point. My kids had the flu last year. They were miserable for a few days and it hung on as a minor pain for a week. Their immune systems got a little workout and are now a little stronger. We try not to over medicate or over vaccinate. We only do the main child hood vaccinations.

The kids and I have never had flu shots. DH has had them for free at work. Last year was the first time in 24 years that any of us have ever gotten the flu. DH and I had it in college, the kids had not had it before. DH had gotten the flu shot, and was the one who first came down with the virus. We all fell one by one, and it was quite miserable, but no one developed a secondary infection. We vaccinate pretty much on schedule with the exceptions of gardasil and the flu vaccination.

We got them every year from when DD was born until last year because DS had long-term lung damage from RSV as an infant. We skipped it last year because they put H1N1 in with the vaccine and I wasn't happy with the studies I read about that vaccine. Plus, DD had (confirmed) H1N1 flu when it was going around. Why would I vaccinate her for something she'd already had?

We were the healthiest we've been in years! I looked into it this year since we'll have a new baby in the house, but they're putting H1N1 in the vaccines again this year and I'm still stand by my reservations with the H1N1 part of the vaccine.

Instead I'm working on building up their immune systems with Vitamin C and D and Zinc. I'm working on getting them back in the habit of using hand sanitizer and washing their hands when we're out places so that they don't bring germs to their sister.

We don't. If we had asthma, compromised immune symptoms, or had elderly family members we visited with regularly, I would reconsider. Our pediatrician will give them if you ask, but she doesn't usually recommend them for healthy kids.

Ditto this. I think I've had the actual flu once in my life..not sure about dh.

I just don't feel that the flu shots are any guarantee whatsoever and I'd rather go with my own, healthy chances of avoiding the flu which has worked for many, many years for our family.

Most of us (one son and both my husband and I) do because we have a child with a compromised immune system and a metabolic condition that ups his complication potential. This year the geneticist wants him to have the flu vax and he's anti-vax for his patients unless benefit outweighs harm potential. He said the H1N1 is in this season and already in the US and that concerns him enough to want the vax for his patients. This will be the first year that this son gets it.

I'm not convinced it will necessarily prevent flu but I do think it might reduce symptoms and it does prevent sometimes.

I don't see any way an inactivated flu vaccine can make a person sick. Maybe their immune system is already run down and the extra activation of the vaccine knocks it a little more temporarily to catch something else? In that case, imo, they might need the vaccine. I think it's more likely circumstance though.

We have healthy vitamin D levels and I think that is likely a far better preventative.

My son & I got the flu shot 2x in the last 12 years. Both years we did not get sick all season. Without it we each usually get the flu once or twice. The years we don't get it is due to procrastinating on my part or expense, not because I'm against them.

My husband got the shot once & swore it made him sick. Maybe it did, but he's always complaining about some illness or ailment, so it's hard to know for sure.

I guess people's reaction varies.

I'm considering it this year because I have enough stress without getting sick. Talking my dh into it would be tough though.

We will not be getting the flu shots. We are all young and healthy and unless an unforseen strain comes along and kills the young and healthy in droves (which this years vaccine would not protect against anyway), then we won't be getting them. We have in the past and this is just a personal choice.

In 32 years, I have had the actual FLU (like kill me now, FLU) one time. My older son had one like that when he was 5 and my younger son had it at 2 mos. People who go around saying, "Oh I have the flu" two or three times a year must have never TRULY had the flu...at least not the strain I had at 16. I almost died!

Edited by Tree House Academy

We don't get them. In the 7 and 8 years of the kids' lives, they got the actual influenza virus one time. They were very ill, but got over it in about 2 weeks. We are all basically healthy and rarely even catch a cold, so I don't worry too much about it. The doctor recommends it, and I just say, "No, thanks." That's the end of it.

We've never gotten the flu shot. We did get the flu a couple of years ago, thanks to my dh and airport travel. We just stayed in and slept, fluids, flu medicine (Tamiflu or something like that from the dr.), etc. It was not fun but not life threatening. I gained a whole new perspective on vaccines with my 3rd child who had a lot of allergies and had a major reaction to a vaccine that lasted on and off for 5 years! I am a bit pickier about what we take now.

No, we don't.

You might be interested in some of the Cochrane database review studies.

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab001269.html

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004879.html

eta: we work on making sure our d levels are adequate.

:iagree:

Same reason we don't vax for flu here. For work DH is supposed to get it, but has been exempted due to his allergy (that we only recently found out about via testing) to thimerisol.

Edited by Tigger

I haven't read all of the replies ~ but here are my (opinionated) thoughts on the flu shot:

I never got one as I was allergic to eggs (all food allergies disappeared after having children). When I married DH was all gung ho flu shot and literally hated the fact that I couldn't get them.

We had children and I was able to get them (allergy tests revealed all food allergies gone) so we started getting them for the whole family.

Three years ago, Dr says "How about the Flu Mist instead of the shot for the kids?" Yea, sure, ok.

Less than 24 hours later Boy 1 (six years old at the time) is in the hospital with a pulse ox of 89 (it needs to be 95 or higher). Steroids, nebulizers, albuterol and chest x rays are now a common, ordinary part of our lives.

My son did not have asthma before the Flu Mist and had never exhibited any symptoms that led me to believe he would ever develop it.

The doctor that treated us during the episode was hesitant to say it was the vaccine that caused it. Our regular ped says there was "likely a connection", however he feels the vaccine just triggered the inevitable.

Personally, DH and I believe the vaccine weakened his lungs and while he may have eventually developed asthma, I don't think it would be as severe as it is today.

And still, our ped asks about the flu shot every. single. year. I just smile and say "No Thank You. We're done with flu vax."

No one in my immediate family has ever had a flu shot. Until last year, none of us had ever had the flu (that we knew of.) However, last year my ds had a confirmed case of Type A flu. The doctor prescribed Tamiflu for both of my dc, which was very expensive. Based on last year's unexpected expense, this year I'm definitely considering the flu shot for both of my kids. I'm :bigear: on this thread right now!

While there may be benefits to those who are otherwise immuno-compromised, I think that flu shots are a racket lining the pockets of a few select people.

:iagree: There are definitely people who could benefit, but for otherwise healthy people it's just marketing. Those who really would benefit are likely told that by their doctors already.

Previously we did, but it seemed 50/50 whether we would get the flu or not (about the same as if we didn't get the shot). So we decided why expose to the shot itself if the benefits didn't outweigh the risks?

That said, we are a healthy household, no asthma, no babies, no compromised immunities. My 80 y/o parents get the shots, as does my diabetic and otherwise sickly sister, as does my neice who has a little under one y/o. We weigh risk/benefit, and as of now, are not taking them.

That seems a more reasonable approach than a militant yes-always or no-never.