Menu

If a 15yo went along to a play...

No. Sometimes weird things happen and we just have to deal with them without appealing to the authorities. That's life. No big deal.

ETA: My inner 15 year old who was very shy and never kissed would be torn on this. If he was cute she'd be secretly thrilled. If he wasn't so cute she'd be hugely embarrassed but not traumatized in any way. Pursuing prosecution though - THAT would be traumatizing.

Edited by WishboneDawn

No, it's not a prosecutable offense or every unwanted "pass" in the workplace and everywhere else would be clogging up the courts.

Inappropriate, ABSOLUTELY! I don't know who thought that a good idea in a play was to pick some unwitting soul and plant one on them. Not many of us want to swap spit with someone we don't know. Thankfully, flu season hasn't hit yet.

Now, if she were obviously a young child, elementary/early middle school and this is something anyone can plainly see, then possibly it would be prosecutable though I still think the powers that be might not want to take it on.

It sounds like the play should have been advertised as not suitable for minors or no one under 18 admitted. That would have solved the problem, though the unwanted suprise kiss thing is still just.plain.gross.!

Faith

I'm confused; why would they be prosecuted? Isn't it like a "rated R" movie type thing. (Actually, maybe even a PG-13?) I don't know the ratings they use over there.... But, I would think the adult in charge, is... in charge. Funny thing, I don't know HOW they could prosecute. Here they show all sorts of stuff in S*x Ed. We'd have to start prosecuting the schools.

I'm confused; why would they be prosecuted? Isn't it like a "rated R" movie type thing. (Actually, maybe even a PG-13?) I don't know the ratings they use over there.... But, I would think the adult in charge, is... in charge. Funny thing, I don't know HOW they could prosecute. Here they show all sorts of stuff in S*x Ed. We'd have to start prosecuting the schools.

If someone came up to me on the street and grabbed and kissed me, I think I could ask that they be charged with assault. But - if it is part of the act or even the culture of the play (I'm thinking like a Rocky Horror show kind of thing) then by going to the play the person is tacitly giving permission to be included in that sort of thing.

A few questions -

1) Is the 15 year old a boy or a girl? Everyone is assuming girl, but the OP didn't say. This doesn't affect the answer, but I'm curious.

2) Was the 15 year old attending with parents, or with the consent of parents?

3) What kind of show was this??? I need more details.

A few questions -

1) Is the 15 year old a boy or a girl? Everyone is assuming girl, but the OP didn't say. This doesn't affect the answer, but I'm curious.

Actually, I assumed it was a boy.

But more importantly, where can I get tickets to this play??? :tongue_smilie: <---intentional

Well, to me, "unsuitable for children" implies adult-themed subject matter, vulgar stuff, etc.--not being kissed on the mouth without consent. If there's reason for the playgoer to know that this kind thing happens, then I'd agree with the pp's tacit consent comment above. But what if that wasn't clear? Most plays--even ones with strictly adult content--don't include anything like that. Personally I'd be livid and feel violated if a stranger did that to me. I don't know whether I'd pursue legal channels or not, but I just don't see it as any different than if a stranger or a coworker did the same thing. Surely if a coworker tried that it would be considered sexual harassment? Why would this be any different (again, unless it's clearly stated somewhere that this kind of thing could happen)? What if the performer started groping--surely that would be a problem? If so, where exactly is that line?

In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a huge thing (which is why I'd probably be offended and disgusted but wouldn't try to press charges or anything). As an adult I'd probably just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. But if it was my child (whether 15 or 16 or 18)?? I don't know.

It seems a pretty strange thing to happen, but can't see that they could be prosecuted. I think the best thing to do would be to complain to the theatre and it should get passed to the company manager who will deal with it, either by making it known that it will happen or by talking to the company about it. Its bizarre, you would think that they would do this kind of thing by planting an actor amongst the audience.

Gotta pay to play.

The kid broke the rules, and, in what is a very unique way, got busted.

:iagree:

I think if they sent a letter to the manager of the theater and said it was inappropriate, that would be an appropriate response. If it happened to one of my kids as part of a theater production that said it was not child appropriate, I'd shrug it off.

He invited the boy onto stage and, as part of a story he was telling, grabbed him and kissed him. The boy (who is straight) did not seem worried about it. The kiss lasted about ten seconds. The boy was there with a same-age female friend. The show was broadcast on national television.

No-one has called the police - I was just wondering what the hive's reaction would be.

Laura

I don't think it's okay for a person of *any* age to be kissed without consent.

:iagree: If a play is marked as "unsuitable" for kids, I would assume that meant things a child shouldn't *see* - not that the audience would be subjected to unwanted physical contact. If someone kissed an unwilling stranger on the street, I think that can be prosecuted (though I don't know if it would be), and I don't see how just being in a theatre makes it any different.

No, but I would complain to the theater. Even as a 32 yo woman, I would personally have a big problem if some actor just kissed me. Yeck. I probably would have slapped him. If he were to kiss my DD, I would have gone all momma bear on him. It just isn't appropriate.

:iagree:Yes, this!!!! That is just pure BAD TASTE!!!!! NASTY no matter what the age! Who knows where tht person's mouth has been. YUCK!

He invited the boy onto stage and, as part of a story he was telling, grabbed him and kissed him. The boy (who is straight) did not seem worried about it. The kiss lasted about ten seconds. The boy was there with a same-age female friend. The show was broadcast on national television.

No-one has called the police - I was just wondering what the hive's reaction would be.

Laura

If he did not know that a kiss would be a part of it, than it is still wrong!!:glare:

Laura

In that case, I'd say that there is no cause for any complaint. Getting up on stage was consent for whatever happened on stage (within legal reason but it isn't illegal for a man to kiss another man esp. if he expects that he is of legal age because of the age requirements posted).

In that case, I'd say that there is no cause for any complaint. Getting up on stage was consent for whatever happened on stage (within legal reason but it isn't illegal for a man to kiss another man esp. if he expects that he is of legal age because of the age requirements posted).

It is illegal to kiss someone if it isn't wanted.

If someone agrees to get up on stage, that doesn't make them fair game for anything. I think if this was an adult that hadn't broken any rules, everyone would think that unwanted contact wasn't okay. But it seems the teen got what he deserved for breaking rules in the minds of several here.

Really, if an adult kissed my underage child I would be angry. Without consent, I would be livid. Broken rules are a different issue and don't affect whether it was right or wrong to kiss him. A kid's decision to break rules doesn't take away their right to their own body.

Also, was an actual age limit specified? If something was described as "inappropriate for children" I would assume they meant children, say, 12 yo or younger. To me, a 15 yo is a "young adult" who might be considered mature enough to deal with some adult content.

Cassy

Laura

:iagree: I agree.

Also, was an actual age limit specified? If something was described as "inappropriate for children" I would assume they meant children, say, 12 yo or younger. To me, a 15 yo is a "young adult" who might be considered mature enough to deal with some adult content.

Laura

It is illegal to kiss someone if it isn't wanted.

If someone agrees to get up on stage, that doesn't make them fair game for anything. I think if this was an adult that hadn't broken any rules, everyone would think that unwanted contact wasn't okay. But it seems the teen got what he deserved for breaking rules in the minds of several here.

:iagree: Agreeing to go onstage with a comedian means agreeing to humiliation of some kind (although refusing would probably mean humiliation as well), but it doesn't mean that you're fair game for anything. What if it had been a woman and the comedian had grabbed her butt? Or groped the person (man or woman) somewhere else? Would that be okay just since he agreed to go onstage? Unwanted physical, sexual contact is NEVER okay. Kissing is mild sexual contact, but it's still considered sexual in nature. I'm pretty sure you could press charges against a coworker for sexual harassment if he planted one on you without your consent.

Besides, "unsuitable for children" is NOT the same thing as "Over 18/21 only." I probably wouldn't take a 15 to a show with that disclaimer (I probably wouldn't go either), but it doesn't look like he broke any rules.