Menu

S/O: What are your "final goals" of homeschooling?

Aside from general goals about developing character, work ethic, learning skills, interests, our academic goal is to provide the kids with an education that is similar to the public school education we parents received in Germany - an education that meets the entrance requirements of the most selective universities in the US. My DD is very ambitious - attending a selective school is her goal. So we need to make sure she has the academics to do so.

This means for us:

four years of rigorous sciences (including calculus based physics in 12th if not earlier)

four years of math (through calculus)

four years of English (we follow WTM, so that's easy)

four years of history

four or more years of the same foreign language

proficiency in their native language

plus electives to round out their education and to reflect special interests.

They are different based on each kid's goals. For example, ds12 knows (and has known for years) that he wants to be an engineer. The only debate in his head is whether it will be nuclear, mechanical, or medical. So, my end goal for him is: admission to a top 25 engineering school and advanced skills in logic, rhetoric and writing. Add to that that I want him to love literature and love learning.

Ds9 has been pretty much set with marine geographer for a while now. We are still at the everything with rigor stage for him, though.

Ds6 is a whole different sort of kid. My goals for him are more open-ended. He is more like his dad; artistic, musical, creative. I want to make sure he has a rigorous education, but I also want to be certain that he has the chance to develop his skills to the top of his potential.

So, I guess you could say that my goals for myself are to tailor each kid's education to their strengths and weaknesses so that they end up with their own IEP. While there are similarities in each kids education plan, all are individualized.

I honestly don't have a final goal. I want my kids to aim for whatever they want to aim for in life and to be happy. I don't even care if they choose college or not- that's up to them. I just want them to follow their interests, to be close to their family, to be happy, to feel fulfilled in whatever it is they choose for themselves. So right now we are trying to be well-rounded, having fun, learning what we can from our curriculum and our own interests and from life, and as their interests and life goals grow and develop, I will do my best to help them to whatever extent I can.

four years of rigorous sciences (including calculus based physics in 12th if not earlier)

four years of math (through calculus)

four years of English (we follow WTM, so that's easy)

four years of history

four or more years of the same foreign language

proficiency in their native language

plus electives to round out their education and to reflect special interests.

Is this what most colleges are looking for? I haven't really looked at college requirements yet, although I probably should. (Is the fact that my oldest is only 9 an excuse?)

My oldest has some learning delays in language arts so as much as I would love to say that my goal is above average writing skills, it most likely will not happen with him.

I do expect all of them to make it to college, although we are not aiming for Ivy League, I just don't have those kinds of kids.

I do want them to have the option to pursue their interests in college and not feel that it is beyond their reach.

Dawn

I've been thinking about this.

We're on week 2 of homeschool. DS#1 is in 2nd grade, so he's had 2 years of PS.

Initially the homeschool journey was about moving away from public school. I'm now entering the "moving toward something else" phase of thinking. And I need to figure out what that is.

Obviously, we want to provide our kids with an excellent education that will allow them to pursue whatever educational/career goals they have. I'm still a little hazy on how to do this....thankfully, I have a few years to figure it out and a whole lotta help from this board.

My goal is that they have all the tools they need to pursue whatever goals they want to pursue! (That's a lot of tools!) I certainly want them to be able to get into whatever college they desire, but it goes beyond that.....I want them to have skills in athletics, music, art.....I want them to 'catch' references that go over the heads of most people. I want them to be able to manage their lives- their finances, their households, etc.

Sorry I'm rambling....my kids are still very young and while I've thought about this (even before they were born!) I haven't put it into words yet!

I want my kids to be well-read, interesting people able to be admitted to a selective university if they choose. Which means I've looked at the entrance requirements for that kind of school so I won't be surprised when they're seniors with no chance of admittance. In addition to that, I foster a love of reading and an atmosphere of creative exploration.

Right now my older dd either wants to go to Mars by way of the Air Force Academy or travel with the Renaissance festival reciting Shakespeare and selling medieval weapons. I think her current goals align well with mine. No matter what path she ultimately chooses a good education now will benefit her.

Well, on some basic level, my dad put me through an excellent private school education, college, and a masters degree always with the understanding that that was his obligation because his parents had done so for him (and their parents had for them on back for several generation) and so my obligation would be to do the same for my children. Now, while I went to a day school, my dad went to the Phillips Academy at Andover (and boy is there some rivalry there with the Phillips Academy at Exeter!) so that school and the school I attended set the standard for high school from which I work backwards as best I can.

My ds15 is an aspie and does not write even close to that standard, but we work on that and use discussion to keep his other subjects as unaffected as possible by that issue. My ds13 seems to have a memory like Swiss cheese, but we have developed study techniques to handle that tendency. As mentioned elsewhere, my kids need a lot more drill and practice than I ever did, but as that is the case, that is what we do. Lots of my friends growing up had tutors to help them with exactly that so it must not be that uncommon. I suspect I was the uncommon one there, and just had no idea how fortunate I was until I was confronted with teaching my own children who do not tend to have excellent memories.

You know, it's funny. I would have said to prepare for college, and that's what we certainly aimed for while homeschooling. And then our son, bright kid that he is, hated it, dropped out of a very good college, and enlisted. Go figure. I learned from that experience that our goals are not always our children's goals.

So now my answer, in retrospect, is that I gave my children a solid academic foundation. It's funny...the ones who are still at home (and who are now in public school) all agree that they have a very broad and solid academic foundation. TWTM is to thank for that, believe me. As an aside, my college dropout has told his twin sister that he plans to complete his degree. :)

Sold-out Christ Followers

Independent Thinkers

Persons of deep moral conviction.

Leaders in their community and church

Not afraid to try and fail and try again.

Lifelong self-learners

I don't really care about what they DO. I only care about what they ARE.

Of course I believe a solid spiritual and academic foundation is necessary to creating the people I pray they become.

First I should give a defense of goals in general:

I believe that everyone has goals for their dc, whether they want to think about it or not. I'm sure some disagree, and that is fine. :) I think it's better to think about them, talk about them, and to have them firm in mind to keep you on course as the winds blow about you. Some of the worst parenting and homeschooling I have seen has come from people who just follow what others around them or the latest book they are reading tell them to do without any concept of a long-term plan. Their dc end up with mental whiplash, and they end up exhausted and frustrated.

Goals don't have to be about what career they will have, whether they will go to college, etc. They don't have to depend on the specific child. And as a Christian mother, they don't have to stop at a relationship with Christ, because that is the foundation of all else, not a goal of mine.

Okay, now our specifics:

We have different levels of goals. There are character goals, there are general goals, there are academic goals. Some are more flexible (academic) than others (character.) I have always avoided posting our specific list, because they are what work for our family, and they really aren't open to comment. :001_smile:

I will give some examples, though: One of our goals is to have our dc embrace one of our family philosophies: people before things. Another is to have dc who value obedience to God above self. We take tangible, concrete steps to meet those, because we have them in mind as we make decisions and live our lives as examples.

But the other thread was about goals in education, and that is what you asked about, so... One academic goal is to have each dc play an instrument and learn a form of visual artistic expression. That is flexible enough to have each of them choose what fits their personality, while still honoring things that we personally think are important to a well-rounded, happy person (self expression.) We have a goal that each learn to enjoy one sport that can be pursued independently for life (running, swimming, biking, etc.) Same thing.

Other examples include having dc understand our economic system, be able to write and speak correctly and effectively, be capable of interacting with the Great Conversation, etc.

Edited by angela in ohio

I think my homeschooling endeavor ends in my child taking over the world. Am I aiming too high?

:D:D

I decided the other day that if I get grilled about homeschooling I will reply as such: We homeschool so ds has enough free time to develop his plan for global domination.

I tease him that he is set to take over the world with his computer arrangement in his room. He just smiles.

Goals?

To be able to write a college paper correctly.

To be able to think for himself and articulate his thoughts clearly.

To be able to understand a little of how the world works, and how people work.

To be able to have a chance to achieve his own goals in life, whatever they may become.

To live with conviction and understand those convictions thoroughly, or at least understand how to investigate his "side" of an argument.

To be strong enough (morally, physically, emotionally) to live HIS life, not a life others might try to impose on him. ( for instance, not getting caught up in consumerism)

to learn to enjoy books and the conversation they can create.

to have a base understanding of many subjects including history, science, and technology, so he can have vision for the future by looking into the past.

to feel comfortable in his own skin.

to know how to fail and get back up again.

to understand his strengths and weaknesses (currently this is playing out in homework. We start school at 10am. Sometimes he wants to hold off and do his homework before school the next day. He is not yet at the point of understanding that he won't do it. He doesn't get out of bed and wake up in time to concentrate well. I'm letting him fall a few times before I impose different regulations for homework.)

Happy, productive adults who able to live life in a way that they find personally meaningful and who make a positive impact on the people and/or community around them. I plan to send them to college and assume the older son will go to college young but I honestly don't care what field they enter or if they work in a professional field after college. Running a window business, working as a handyman or whatever would be just as reasonable to be as becoming an engineer or physics professor to me provided they were happy and able to feed themselves and their families.

I do hope they have families! But obviously, that is their choice. :001_smile:

It seems right to me. It's pretty much what was listed as required in the college track when I was in high school (50,000 years ago so take that with a grain of salt).

but do you sparkle?

To have the foundation of a classic education that will get them into the college of their choice, and to be a lifelong learner, constantly adding to that classical foundation.

When DS#1 was 4 or 5, DH and I sat down and wrote out our goals for him. We have done this for each child since. (Although it gets easier with each one since our goals are broad. :) ) When I am feeling overwhelmed, or struggling with which direction to turn in an educational matter I revisit this list.

These are the things he should know and have mastery of by the time he reaches adulthood:

In his character-

Established in his faith

Confidence in beliefs

Confidence in himself

Honesty

Integrity

In his social skills-

Able to use proper etiquette for various situations

In his academic abilities-

Ability to utilize library

Able to complete college level coursework

Able to create a resume

In his practical knowledge-

Manage personal finances

Understand/perform basic car maintenance

Basic survival skills

Basic housekeeping skills

Perform basic home repairs

Utilize common technologies

Understand basics of federal, state, and local government

Beyond that we simply want our children to have a strong foundation. Our hope is that they will love to read, love music or find something that feeds their soul as music feeds ours, that they will have contentment and peace in their lives, and that they will be equipped to follow their own paths as they grow into adulthood.

My final goals are college entrance and the skills to be successful at university and in life.

A solid foundation in mathematics and the sciences. When I say "solid foundation" I mean a genuine understanding of the basics and how they work, not just textbook proficiency.

A thorough understanding of the English language.

A solid foundation in a foreign language.

Fluency on at least one musical instrument and an solid understanding of music theory.

Understanding of basic home care tasks, such as cleaning the bathroom, doing the laundry, mowing the lawn. (I just say I'm teaching them life skills. I really don't want to do any of these things so I make them do it. ;) Maybe I shouldn't be so keen on this college thing after all.)

And just as important: The ability to prioritize tasks, to meet deadlines, to follow directions, to work with others and to solve problems. We want them to have a sense of personal responsibility and a sense of responsiblity to their families and communities.

Dh suggests at least one physical skill that they can use to earn money while they go to college or if they can't. His example was house painting, indoor or out. One of my boys already has dreams of opening a fruit and veggie stand, so we're talking to him about how to start a business and what that entails.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

For us, it is to prepare our girls to be able to attend college, should they choose to go.

Those goals include:

Being grounded in their faith.

Making a decent SAT/ACT score.

Knowing how to write well.

Knowing how to manage on their own when they choose to move out.

DS is already talking about college - if he wants to go to college, I want him to be prepared to succeed in college after getting into the school of his choice, with some scholarship money.:)

Make it out alive!

And,

Finish with the same amount of children that I started with.

It's been one of those days!

:iagree:I only have two right now, but this is a real concern! :willy_nilly:

I started to multiquote all the great responses, but there were just too many! Believe me, they are all appreciated.

I think my homeschooling endeavor ends in my child taking over the world. Am I aiming too high?

Not at all. :lol:

First I should give a defense of goals in general:

I believe that everyone has goals for their dc, whether they want to think about it or not. I'm sure some disagree, and that is fine. :) I think it's better to think about them, talk about them, and to have them firm in mind to keep you on course as the winds blow about you. Some of the worst parenting and homeschooling I have seen has come from people who just follow what others around them or the latest book they are reading tell them to do without any concept of a long-term plan. Their dc end up with mental whiplash, and they end up exhausted and frustrated.

Goals don't have to be about what career they will have, whether they will go to college, etc. They don't have to depend on the specific child. And as a Christian mother, they don't have to stop at a relationship with Christ, because that is the foundation of all else, not a goal of mine.

Okay, now our specifics:

We have different levels of goals. There are character goals, there are general goals, there are academic goals. Some are more flexible (academic) than others (character.) I have always avoided posting our specific list, because they are what work for our family, and they really aren't open to comment. :001_smile:

I will give some examples, though: One of our goals is to have our dc embrace one of our family philosophies: people before things. Another is to have dc who value obedience to God above self. We take tangible, concrete steps to meet those, because we have them in mind as we make decisions and live our lives as examples.

But the other thread was about goals in education, and that is what you asked about, so... One academic goal is to have each dc play an instrument and learn a form of visual artistic expression. That is flexible enough to have each of them choose what fits their personality, while still honoring things that we personally think are important to a well-rounded, happy person (self expression.) We have a goal that each learn to enjoy one sport that can be pursued independently for life (running, swimming, biking, etc.) Same thing.

Other examples include having dc understand our economic system, be able to write and speak correctly and effectively, be capable of interacting with the Great Conversation, etc.

This whole post was great, thank you.

:D:D

I decided the other day that if I get grilled about homeschooling I will reply as such: We homeschool so ds has enough free time to develop his plan for global domination.

I tease him that he is set to take over the world with his computer arrangement in his room. He just smiles.

Goals?

To be able to write a college paper correctly.

To be able to think for himself and articulate his thoughts clearly.

To be able to understand a little of how the world works, and how people work.

To be able to have a chance to achieve his own goals in life, whatever they may become.

To live with conviction and understand those convictions thoroughly, or at least understand how to investigate his "side" of an argument.

To be strong enough (morally, physically, emotionally) to live HIS life, not a life others might try to impose on him. ( for instance, not getting caught up in consumerism)

to learn to enjoy books and the conversation they can create.

to have a base understanding of many subjects including history, science, and technology, so he can have vision for the future by looking into the past.

to feel comfortable in his own skin.

to know how to fail and get back up again.

to understand his strengths and weaknesses (currently this is playing out in homework. We start school at 10am. Sometimes he wants to hold off and do his homework before school the next day. He is not yet at the point of understanding that he won't do it. He doesn't get out of bed and wake up in time to concentrate well. I'm letting him fall a few times before I impose different regulations for homework.)

Again, great. I always enjoy your posts. :)

Survival.

Some days, its mine or theirs, but I'd really like both.

:iagree: