Menu

Exasperated with American Girl Dolls Fascination w/dd

What am I going to do with this kid and her energy level with American Girl Dolls?

Help me think this through.

How do I take this fascination of hers into something that I feel is a little more constructive? Or is it already providing benefits I'm not seeing?

Or do I just leave it alone, not guide it and let her run wild with it, let it be her genuine imagination time & play?

Am I the one that's looking at it wrong or is there hidden opportunity here?

She photographs them, designs clothes and accessories for them, they have their own facebook pages and websites she created for them. I could go on, but you get the idea. She's totally into it.

This kid is nuts crazy on American Girl dolls, and it's been going on now for like a year.

Is there a way to satisfy both of us here?

We buy the books, kits and things. We go to the thrift shops where she gathers up stuff to make for them. She wants to take sewing classes to learn how to make outfits for them.

I don't see this burning out for her anytime soon.

Go ahead, tell me if I'm nuts for thinking about this the wrong way, or offer solutions for me to adjust my thinking, or share ideas on how to expand something more educational (the way I see that word) with them.

I personally know little of any resources that combine American Girl dolls and guided studies. Maybe it's out there already.

Does anyone else have an American Girl doll disciple in the house?

What am I going to do with this kid and her energy level with American Girl Dolls?

How do I take this fascination of hers into something that I feel is a little more constructive? Or is it already providing benefits I'm not seeing?

Or do I just leave it alone, not guide it and let her run wild with it, let it be her genuine imagination time & play?

She photographs them, designs clothes and accessories for them, they have their own facebook pages and websites she created for them. I could go on, but you get the idea. She's totally into it.

This kid is nuts crazy on American Girl dolls, and it's been going on now for like a year.

We buy the books, kits and things. We go to the thrift shops where she gathers up stuff to make for them. She wants to take sewing classes to learn how to make outfits for them.

Go ahead, tell me if I'm nuts for thinking about this the wrong way, or offer solutions for me to adjust my thinking, or share ideas on how to expand something more educational (the way I see that word) with them.

I personally know little of any resources that combine American Girl dolls and guided studies. Maybe it's out there already.

Sorry, I think you are nuts. :D

It is providing benefits you're not seeing, which is interesting since you wrote about many of those benefits in your post. :lol:

Let it be her joy and don't try to make anything more of it. The books and add-on activities are educational. They don't need to be made overtly so. Not to mention the social and educational benefits of imaginative play...

Plan her curriculum, not her play.

Just my .02.. :)

Wow! I'm trying to think of ways that you could encourage her to do other things within the frame of it being for the dolls. Such as designing a room for them, painting, etc Instead of trying to take her away from them, have her do things for them that will also help her learn.

Oh man, it will be a while. We went through that, and going through it again. I have nine daughters and only one hasn't read them and been fascinated by them. She is my married daughter. But the other 8, and now my youngest 5 are killing me this!!!! It will pass. Eventually. I just tried replacing their interest with those Dear America books. It has helped some but mostly they just get threw it on their own. Patience my friend! And good luck.

I think you're nuts... :grouphug: No - not really!

She sounds like she's really being creative and imaginative. Learning to sew is so practical, too.

Have you used the historical unit studies? My daughter loves them, as do I. Preparation for our trip to Williamsburg in September to see Felicity's world has led to learning about the French and Indian War, comparing colonies and city-states, etc.

Wow. Think of all the excellent benefits here.

Sewing, designing, creative writing, photography...

You could encourage her to write stories about them. Even set in historical backgrounds, which would help her to develop her research skills (sorry, I don't see how old she is).

This could be used as such a huge spring board for so many educational opportunities, I'd run as long and far as I could with it! Def get her the sewing lessons!

I'm up for a spanking today, thanks for your honesty.

I just can't believe her sometimes- she's up at the crack of dawn goofin with these girls. I think what bothers me is they get superstar status around her.

They have to be included in *everything* we do. Our life runs around these dolls ya know?

It reaches ridiculous proportions sometimes.

My thinking is getting to be like, "If you can't beat em, join em."

I know intellectually she's not going to be doing this same thing when she's say...25 years old...

Or is she? I don't know, this kid is over the line somewhere with these dolls it seems. I've never seen a kid so immersed in a set of dolls before.

I'm wondering if any other moms out there have this same deal going on with their kids?

Maybe I need a talking to about the value of imaginative doll play or something, I dunno.

Wow! I'm trying to think of ways that you could encourage her to do other things within the frame of it being for the dolls. Such as designing a room for them, painting, etc Instead of trying to take her away from them, have her do things for them that will also help her learn.

She's 8.

Designing rooms? Oh good gravy. She's doing this. She'll find a youtube video on how to handcraft accessories for these dolls, comes padding out of her room and says weird things like, "Mom, do we have any wire around I can have?"

She might use it to create a curtain rod for the rooms. She makes comments about the laundry..."Um, Mom, your shirt..if that stain doesn't come out, can I have it?"

Next thing I know she's chopped it up as a pair of slippers or something. Nothing around this house is safe from the AG craft binge which is a daily thing.

We walk by a dumpster..."Mom..you think that cardboard is safe there?"

Oh no.

I know intellectually she's not going to be doing this same thing when she's say...25 years old...

Or is she? I don't know, this kid is over the line somewhere with these dolls it seems. I've never seen a kid so immersed in a set of dolls before.

I'm wondering if any other moms out there have this same deal going on with their kids?

By 25, she will have moved on from the dolls, and will be applying this incredible ability to stay focused and inspired on one thing to....I don't know...

curing cancer or

housing the homeless or

inventing an affordable, 100% environmentally friendly car or

(fill in the blank).

Maybe I need a talking to about the value of imaginative doll play or something, I dunno.

Here is a stern talking-to:

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. --Albert Einstein

:D

I promise, you do not have a real problem here.

I have to agree with the above- they are providing LOTS of GREAT things for your dd.

1. Creativity. Wanting to take a sewing classes?! I know an adult who hems pants and such as a side business- she makes an extra $500-$1000 a month!

2. Historical content. Is she reading the character books? You can easily add additional history lessons around whatever book she is reading.

3. Age appropriate role models. Need I say more? :)

4. Character building. All of the dolls have stories attached that provide great lessons to young girls. Helping the less fortunate, being honest and kind, etc.

The only thing that I can see being a negative is that she has set up Facebook pages for the dolls.

Other than that:

1. The stories are historical fiction, and fairly well written. You don't need to add to it unless she starts asking questions. She might find a time period she loves and will start asking for more books about it.

2. She wants to learn to sew to make them clothes - teach her to sew. This is a valuable life skill. So many people don't know how to sew. I could sew my pointe shoes together by hand and that was it. At 24, I had to make 4 Austin Powers velvet suits for a dance. I had to learn to sew in a couple of days.

3. She is being actively creative with the dolls. It is very important to let kids explore and create. It helps with their critical thinking skills. If the dolls bring out her creativity, encourage her.

4. Have a tea party with her and her dolls - teach proper table etiquette. Have her teach her dolls her math lesson. Set up an old fashioned school room and let her teach. That is the best way to be sure you know something.

5. Better a doll than a video game or internet site. There are so many things that would be much worse than a love of historical dolls.

Have fun!

She did do something really interesting the other day, now that I'm sitting to think about it...

(I don't push her to stay on task with the *extra* studies, she is only required to cover her basics in the morning which takes about an hour.)

I saw her doing a repeat of a geography lesson we'd done in her room. She was playing "teacher" to her dolls; and had made miniature sized materials that mimicked her own books/worksheets/maps. The kid made composition books with covers, lined paper, made pencils out of toothpicks.

She decorated one of their rooms as a school room, put up the maps of Hawaii. It was like she was echoing it back to them.

I sat in the hallway with the door cracked so I could listen. I was sort of glee about it, you know?

But today, something of a battle with these dolls has arisen, she wants nothing to do with what I had planned and just wants to travel down this path with the dolls.

"Mom, I want to make a doll spa."

"Oh, okay then."

So I shut up, put away the materials and feel a little jealous of these dolls and their green-eyed power over me.

I'm being honest here.

Today, it looks like the dolls & the spa win. Bleh.

We have all these cool new books from a curriculum fair we bought yesterday. I wanted to set fire to stuff from the science experiments n stuff.

Wah.:glare:

My dd10 loves her dolls. She and my dd13 play doll school. I have the American Girl Curriculum and although I never got around to doing it all the way through, it has some great ideas. We have dabbled with it over the years. There are units out there for some of the newer dolls, as well. We have all of the Welcome to ______'s World books that my dd10 likes to look at before she goes to sleep. Embrace it! Right now we are all about the horses. The dolls sit on them during their "classes". :D

So I shut up, put away the materials and feel a little jealous of these dolls and their green-eyed power over me.

I'm being honest here.

Today, it looks like the dolls & the spa win. Bleh.

We have all these cool new books from a curriculum fair we bought yesterday. I wanted to set fire to stuff from the science experiments n stuff.

Wah.:glare:

You're the mom, you can require that she do science with you! Obsession is one thing, *letting* your child chose the dolls when *you* think it's in her best interest to do a science experiment is something else.

Not that I'm perfect or anything...I have spent plenty of moments feeling just as you say! But I'm regretting it now, and trying to change.

Hope this was read with the gentleness that I'm trying to put in it! :grouphug:

You might feel so much better about the whole thing if you regain the control you want, and then *let* her free the other times.

Yes, I eased up on my AG obsession when I was 18-19. When I got a fiance instead;) I kept taking pictures of them and got a couple more dolls after getting married, though.

After I learned to drive, I strapped them into the back seat. Crazy weird, I know. My friend had a baby at 16, I drove around with my dolls. So there are worse things:D

Now after saying that I get where your DD is coming from, I don't see why your life should revolve around the dolls. Hers might, but yours does not need to. If you have lessons planned, tell her that she can make her thing after, but she can choose one of the "girls" to do this school thing with her. If you don't want them to come with you to every outing, tell her that they aren't allowed to come this time, but that you've arranged a babysitter for them so they won't be alone and pass her a teddy bear to be the babysitter:)

Other than making FB pages (I would not allow an 8yo to play on FB and it's strictly against FB policy anyway), it sounds like she's using her love of American Girl dolls to explore a number of areas and skills. That's awesome. Give her the materials she needs (within reason) and let her run with it. If she writes stories, learns to sew, explores technology, engages in various arts and crafts... What could be wrong with that?

Personally, I wouldn't start buying up "study guides" and programs like that unless you're just *desperate* to crush her love of the dolls and interest in coming up with all of these great activities on her own. She'll read and learn about history, etc, on her own because of them. That's great. Don't make it into "school" for her.

As long as she's completing her other school work, engaging with her friends and family, being physically active, polite... Then let her indulge her passion. :)

She did her required subjects today- eh..I just was up for going through the new materials. I wanted to show her magnetic North and junk ya know..but anyway..

I looked at the link, she toddled by in the kitchen for something, saw on the screen the book..

"Mom, why are YOU reading about Felicity?"

"Well, it's a curriculum thing, but I don't know anything about it..do you think you'd like to do history by AG stories?"

"Can you do that Mom?"

"Apparently. Oh, but bummer....look here..shoot...to do this unit we'd have to have the books to go with it. You don't have those titles yet. Better just forget it."

"Mom! Stop it!"

"Naw, looks complicated." (Feigning disinterest from me.)

"Mom!" She's getting louder, "It's educational! It's good for me!"

Heh. :lol: (Mission accomplished)

She's off in her room reading the curriculum pages, I printed them out...she's acting like I just told her she's going to Disneyland or something.

I think this is going to be a winner in our house. Thanks.

eta:

Uh oh. Reading post 19....

Anyone else out there think AG curriculum could squash it for her if I do instruction with them? This could be worse than teaching math for my confidence levels.

Good gravy, I'm 46 years old here. You'd think I'd not be challenged by this already. I'm having a bit of a laugh at myself. It's day like this I miss my mom.

Edited by one*mom

She sounds wonderful! My DD goes through obsessions with things, to that same sort of degree -- for a while it was the AG dolls, for a while it was Wizard of Oz, now it's Star Wars. . . I only get annoyed when the obsessions get in the way of the schoolwork and chores they need to be doing.

What more educational ideas are you looking for(not asked in a snotty way)? She is pursuing photography, web design, creative writing through their websites, and sewing. She reads the books and she is learning some history, and if she if looking at the American Doll World books then she is learning quite alot about life during a particular time. Not to mention the imagination she needs to create the websites and facebook pages. All this during her free time, add to that her school work and her day is full of positive time.

I would let her enjoy it and not add conditions...this would just take away the fun she is having.

My dd was into her AG dolls with increasing intensity each year until age 11. Age 11 was like the peak and she and I did the pilgrimage (NYC) for her 11th birthday. And then a few months later she stopped playing with them so much.

Honestly, I wasn't that into the dolls, but if she wasn't playing with dolls there are so many less healthy things I could imagine her getting into so I was happy to allow her to indulge the interest.

She cleaned out her room of most little girl toys. The AG dolls are dressed seated on the top of one of her bookshelves. Those dolls aren't played with, but she's not letting them go anywhere. She's almost 14.

Here's a site you might find interesting.

http://www.ourdolls.net/

One of my dds was into the AG dolls for a while, and visited the site daily, but never got into the crafting/sewing/etc. aspect. She leaves that to me. :)

Wow, that is entirely up her alley. She's gonna freak.

"the pilgrimage" and NYC? Uh oh, do I even wanna know about this?

There is something to the idea that what she's going through now is entirely of her own creation-mom is nowhere IN the picture other than provider of fundage for the dolls. Hm.

Her FB page is set up for her alone to (go ahead and laugh) communicate with her sister's cats. They are FB friends, that's as far as it goes. She's not off chatting with strangers or whatever.

My oldest daughter (she's in her mid twenties) - has FB pages for her cats and dogs. I have a grand-dog and two grand cats. No grandbabies. Geez.

When my oldest daughter told me her cats have their own FB pages, I wasn't a bit surprised, only amused.

I guess a lot of pet owners have FB pages for their animals. Silly, isn't it?

I think the AG dolls really lend themselves to this-they're big enough to interact with, but small enough that the girls can control them. My DD isn't quite to this level,but is definitely enjoying teaching her dolls (and stuffed dragons), down to having me print out one of the MM blue worktexts at 1/16 size so she could make a math book for her dolls ;) and convincing her father to give up his drawers for desk supplies so she could make workboxes for them :). I think today's entry is making little tiny flash cards for the US states. I'm convinced she's learning her memory work faster by drilling the dolls (and the occasional stuffed dragon) in it than she would otherwise.

But I can understand how it gets annoying, too-it's been all dragons, all the time here for years. I'm actually glad that Molly and Kaya are included-and hearing Kaya's lecture to the Dragons on why they shouldn't eat explorers because otherwise it would mess up American history was adorable (and definitely showed just how much DD remembered).

"the pilgrimage" and NYC? Uh oh, do I even wanna know about this?

I just called it that. Dd really wanted to go to American Girl Place. There wasn't one where we are at the time. And I was pretty sure she would finish with serious AG stuff before 12. So, for her 11th bd we took an express bus to Penn Station. We got a hotel we could afford in a neighborhood dh approved of (he knows NYC a bit and didn't want us to be unsafe in the name of saving money). We went to the store and had dinner in the dining room (they do gluten free meals if you need that). We also explored the city (museums, Ellis Island, etc.) and saw the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular. We found a restaurant where everything is gluten free (and tasted great)--very cool for dd to order off a menu without asking questions. We rode the subway everywhere. We had a great time together. It was a cool girls' weekend and I think an incredible childhood memory for dd.

We did not do AG for 2.5 days straight. The store is big, but not that big and we weren't buying anything except a couple of accessories. I don't think I could have handled more than the afternoon, dinner and little bit after dinner. I did notice that there were parents who appeared to be trapped in the store.

You might want to consider writing down the dragon and dolls story for posterity.

That is the funniest thing ever!

I'm happy it's AG dolls and not Justin Beiber. Really.

I asked the little one if she knew anything about the stores, and she went all verbal encyclopedia about them.

What is it with these dolls?

I can't wait until my DD (4.5) gets into them more. Right now she has an 18 inch Gotz doll (similar to AG) and has a bitty baby from MIL. SHe loves both and is getting more into dressing/undressing them, "teaching" them, etc.

She asked for matching PJs for her and the doll for her birthday or Christmas.

Etsy has some great (non AG brand) accessories and things.

I think it sounds like a great jumping off point for exploring all sorts of things. I seriously can't wait until DD gets really into them.

My DS1 (7.5) enjoys reading the AG books FWIW.

We may be attending a business trip with DH in a few months and will be near an AG store. I'm thinking we might have to go ;)

I have been reading this thread, nobody mention that AG is having a writing contest. It for girls ages 8-13 I believe. You have to write a story about two girls who are different but become friends. The prizes are the brand new dolls. Just thought I would share with everybody, if you go to the website you can find all the fine print.

AL

My girlfriend is one who has always loved dolls and making things for them. Now, in her 40s, she has a quite reasonable business with a shop on Etsy.com selling custom handmade dolls, toys and accessories. It lets her work from home, be creative and add to the household income while doing something she loves. She sells her dolls and things internationally and has had them ordered to be in a store on Lexington Avenue in NYC. She's had authors approach her to collaborate on toys related to their books.

Yes, her interest may well fade or shift, but you never know where someone's passionate interest will take them.

All I can think of with fashion designer is...

L A U N D R Y

Oh I'm kiddin' around, but yes..she's mentioned that a few times. I used to have a Great Aunt that had a doll hospital. Eventually her dolls were put on permanent display after she died.

You don't know how weird that is to see them in a museum behind glass...and here I used to bat them around and love on them...and now cannot touch them at all.

Sort of like the nuns behind the glass walls..but nicer? :)

ps:

HEY

did I just change from being a larvae? Can we have a party or something? I've been a larvae for so long!:party:

Another thing you can do is check and see if your local Barnes & Noble has an American Girls Club. Our store has one that meets the 2nd Monday of every month and it's free. The girls bring their dolls and one of the employees talks about a certain time period and does crafts with them. We've been to it for the last few months. The first time the girls brought in recipes from one of the doll's time periods or cultures and made recipe books. The next month they covered Julie and the 1970s. They did a bunch of crafts, dressed up in 70's clothes, and did a parade around the store. Last month they covered Felicity's tea parties. They had lemonade and sweets and talked all about etiquette and proper manners. It was really cute. The lady at our store who runs it is an absolute sweetheart. She had all boys, and so far only grandsons as well. She throws herself into this girl-time :D

I'd encourage that amount of creativity:lol:

We actually did history using American Girl stories and the accompanying books when dd was younger. Do you have the "Welcome to Felicity's (Kaya's, Addy's, etc.) World Books? Those are all non-fiction books based around the time frame of the stories. They also had cookbooks for each time period too :)

Can I see your daughter and raise you my daughter who makes movies for her AG dolls? My DD is 11 and she loves the YouTube videos done by this person - http://www.youtube.com/user/xmollygirlx (mind you, this is not my daughter).

So now my daughter creates and edits scripts, shoots videos, edits them with the free software we have, them burns the movies onto discs. I'm thinking about allowing her to put them up on YouTube. She was very strong this year and asked for a video camera rather than a new doll.

So I know your joy/pain. We've been to the AG Store in MN and Chicago. She literally wept with joy in Chicago.

I forgot to add that I made this Listmania list back at the beginning of the AG obsession - http://www.amazon.com/Molly-An-American-Girl-in-1944/lm/R1VEXLSCG0KOX6/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1

Edited by Elizabeth in MN
add URL

I think all girls have these obsessions. Mine was horses, and I know that is a common one. Mind you, I had probably seen a real horse twice in my life. We didn't have money for lessons, let alone buying a horse. But I read every book the library had about horses, fiction and non fiction. I created a little journal where I would paste ads for horses that I clipped out of the classified ads in the newspaper. I even had a page for ads for hay. I also painstakingly figure out how many hours I would have to babysit, at what wage, to earn enough to buy my own horse one day, when I was old enough to babysit. I had already decided I would ask some people that had an empty field if I could keep my horse there. (keep in mind, it was probably city owned land, and I was years away from being old enough to babysit, etc.) I remember once my mom mentioned that it might be a long time until I could afford a horse. I told her I knew..probably a whole year. LOL, she didn't say anything to discourage me and the phase eventually wore off. And I ended up working in the office plaza that was built in that field, many years later, for a veterinarian.

Well, AG used to have an historical club for girls where they had "PastPorts" and projects that went along with each doll. They were fun and educational and coordinated with the time period each doll represented.

Each month, you'd receive a craft project for one doll...a beautiful wooden weaving loom for Kirsten, the needlepoint pillow in Samantha's first book, a knitting project like in Molly's second book...or a "paper project"....replica board games from the different time periods of the three original dolls (K, S & M), a family history project, a play to perform, etc. They were so well done and we had so much fun doing each one of them. We still have our Victorian valentines we made for Samantha and the straw Christmas tree ornaments we made for Kirsten.

We also did different educational projects from the "PastPorts" book (like put on a radio show as in Molly's time or pay a call like in Samantha's) and when each project was completed, there was a sticker to put in dd's book. When each doll's projects were finished, she received a sterling silver charm of the doll for a charm bracelet.

Now, all of this was back in the day when AG actually had a vision beyond the almighty dollar...and Pleasant Rowland was still in charge. You may still be able to find pieces of the historical club on ebay. If you do...they are well worth purchasing. My dd and I did this over a year's time and we loved every minute of it.

You need to google some adult doll collector message boards - they do all the things your DD does but on an even larger scale -they take their dolls shopping in strollers, photograph them having birthdays. dress them in expensive boutique clothing :D I had a friend who started out photographing her dolls and now photographs children for a living.

Nothing wrong with being obsessed with dolls -she will either grow out of it or continue on to be an adult collector. Not everything has to be educational -some things are just meant to be fun.

If she wants to learn to sew for them then let her learn a new skill.:001_smile:

I wouldn't ruin her fun hobby by trying to make it educational ;)

Hi. No, you are not nuts. You know, you are TEACHING her when you tell her to play AG or you play dolls with her and she's allowed to be creative. That's the first thing I wanted to say.

There are AG unit studies or something out there...forget what they are called. I considered doing so one year, but did not.

There are books, movies, board games and so much associated with AG.

Do you want her to spend less time with AG? Or, are you trying to steer her in a certain direction re: AG?

My dd has Felicity and Elizabeth. She wanted Samantha too, but we had to say no somewhere. We really like the colonial era. You can turn it into some education, but I'd let her just play. With my dd's dolls, I tied it in to the colonists/seperatists, etc. We discussed attire, education, transportation, food, and much more.

I think all girls have these obsessions. Mine was horses, and I know that is a common one. Mind you, I had probably seen a real horse twice in my life..

I had a horse obsession as well, and also have never actually ridden one (the ponies at the fair that go around in a circle hooked to poles don't really count, I don't think;)). My daughter, now 11, has so far gone through a Princess phase, a horse phase, is now in a bunny phase, and says that her next one will likely be cats. She told us this as an fyi:)---a couple of years ago she announced that she thought she was about halfway through the horse phase and was moving into a bunny phase.;)

Her other interests include periodically making movies for her AG dolls and her Monster High dolls. I wish she would explore making things for them, but so far the extent has been adapting other things (since we can't afford all the AG materials--the dolls were all either gifts/thrift store/etc). It's interesting watching her move back and forth between child and teen in her interests.

She's 8.

Designing rooms? Oh good gravy. She's doing this. She'll find a youtube video on how to handcraft accessories for these dolls, comes padding out of her room and says weird things like, "Mom, do we have any wire around I can have?"

She might use it to create a curtain rod for the rooms. She makes comments about the laundry..."Um, Mom, your shirt..if that stain doesn't come out, can I have it?"

Next thing I know she's chopped it up as a pair of slippers or something. Nothing around this house is safe from the AG craft binge which is a daily thing.

We walk by a dumpster..."Mom..you think that cardboard is safe there?"

Oh no.

My dd10 is just like this! When we go to Goodwill she scrounges for materials she can use for her dolls. She uses Paint and Gimp on the computer to design AG posters. She's made a refridgerator out of shoeboxes and a dollhouse out of an old bookcase. She's taken an old sock and made a shirt, headband, gloves and pony tail for her doll. I'm going to have to search for some youtube videos for her. Sounds like they'd get along famously!