Menu

Do you and your DH play board games?

It depends: how important to our relationship is it that one or the other of us has a chance to win?

Him: Scrabble, Monopoly

Me: Rummikub or Pinochle (although that's a card game)

Games like Trouble or Aggravation tend to be a free-for-all; either of us might conquer. We play cards often, though, as well as Yahtzee.

Does that help?

Mama Anna

I won't play him in any 100% strategy game unless I want a divorce. Since he's pretty cute and I want to keep him, I stay away from those;). In games with any sort of luck involved, I stand a chance of winning and will play. We like Ticket to Ride, Small World, Carcassonne, Guillotine, Killer Bunnies, Blokus, Tri-Ominoes, Battleship, Life (we don't really like it as we think it's a pathetic description of "life." I mean, really, who earns their entire retirement on a freaking game show?" but it's kinda fun when we're bored)

We both really love board games but we don't really get a chance to play them together but a few times a year. When we do, we usually just play Rummy, Boggle, or Yahtzee.

We LOVE to play games when a group comes over there. Our favorite game of all time is Catch Phrase.

We totally love Pandemic! It's a cooperative game in which you all try to save the world from an outbreak, utilizing the different skills of your character.

Recently we also started playing Settlers of Catan. Although that one we're now using more on the iPad or laptop. DH loves and is super good at strategy games, so someone as spontaneous as me has to be prepared to lose, hehe. We play Kinder Bunnies with our daughter (with Killer Bunnies lined up next), as well as Gamewright games like Sleeping Queens and Frog Juice. I have tons of games I have lined up to play sometime - Small World, Ticket to Ride, Dominion... DH is always so super busy though, he's in Chile for 10 days right now. :( At least I have dd to play with.

Agricola has been on my wish list for a few years now.

My dh will not play board games. He despises them.:glare: Just one more good reason to have kids!:001_smile:

Same situation here. My sibs and I spent our childhoods playing board games. My college buddies and I played.

Dh has played exactly one game one time with me (and the kids).

We really like Forbidden Island, a cooperative game from Gamewright. We like Scrabble, but we love Bananagrams.

DH wants to teach me how to play cribbage? Never heard of it, but he's excited.

Does Mario Party count as a board game? If so, we enjoy those. :001_smile:

Card games are usually a hit, DH likes various poker games he has to re teach me every time we play.

My DH's favorite passtime is board games. He's downstairs working on creating one right now. :001_smile: We play a lot of games but the best ones we've found to get started are:

Carcassonne

Ticket to Ride: Europe

Dominion

Pandemic

10 Days in Africa or 10 Days in USA

Settlers of Catan

Forbidden Island

Zooloretto

Dixit

Some that are a bit heavier that we love are:

Power Grid

Railways of the World

Through the Ages

Fresco

Oh, I see that most of these have already been suggested. Just consider my suggestions a seconding of them.

We'll occasionally play backgammon (I usually lose dreadfully), but I'm not that much of a game player. It's more likely to be my daughter and husband playing together. Even on the computer, I'm most likely to play some version of solitaire than anything else.

So that they get a chance to play board games, we do go to a monthly family board game night at church, a monthly family board game night at a friend's house (where there is usually a hard-core strategy game and a lighter game going for the adults, while the kids run around, play, do video games, maybe board games), and I take my daughter to a monthly homeschool family board game afternoon at a local comic and gaming shop. During all of these, I am more likely to be chatting than playing. I do enjoy Blokus, Scrabble (though I personally think one ought to be able to define the words one uses rather than just memorizing the 2 letter combos in the Scrabble dictionary), Bananagrams, Yahtzee, etc. I'm horrible at role-playing or hardcore strategy games.

Just the two of you? If so what are your favorites? My DH and I like Scrabble, but getting tired of it.

My kids(older now anyways, besides 12 yo) LOATHE board games.

Suggestions?

Dh and I play two games fairly regularly. Chess - we are pretty evenly matched so if we don't put a time limit on moves, the game takes a few days to complete because we rarely have more than hour to play at any time.

The other, and again, it can go on for quite a while, is Equate which is the mathematics version of Scrabble.

Faith