Menu

I need a dessert for tomorrow for 25 people, and I don't want to bake.

It needs to be really yummy, 'cause I wanna impress dh's family. :D But it is too hot to even *think* about turning the oven on.

I'm open to all ideas!

Meringue crumbled up with cream and chopped strawberries. Add liqueur if your guests will like it. Reputed to have been invented at Eton College.

Laura

I like to get the little mini sponge cakes or angel food cakes, and drizzle them with some grand manier, or make some syrup with orange juice concentrate and some sugar or honey heated together. Then pile on some fresh fruit (I have done a mix of strawberries, blueberries, and some canned mandarin orange slices), then fresh whipped cream. You could always garnish with some dark chocolate shavings. Pretty, and easy, and cool.

Berries/peaches with sweetened real whipped cream? Add cubed bought pound cake, if you like it.

Hagen Dazs ice cream with a fruit sauce?

Homemade pudding? (although that is almost as hot as baking...)

Key lime pie, if made traditionally, requires only 12minutes in the oven, and is a very easy and impressive summery dessert.

I love making desserts and my friends and family count on me bringing a yummy dessert... but recently I was having a day, and didn't have time or energy to make anything.

I bought cones, 3-4 different kinds of ice cream, and sprinkles- everyone loved it! It was mostly adults, so I guess they don't make cones very often???

It was easy and no mess for clean up.

I got this recipe from someone here and it is always a hit. It's like a peanut butter fudge.

1 cup butter

1 cup crunchy peanut butter

1 lb. powdered sugar

1 package graham cracker crumbs (one of the inside packages- not the whole box)

You just mix that all up and press it into a 9x13 pan.

The original recipe that I saw called for melting a bag of chocolate chips to pour on top, but I use half a package of almond bark. I always burn chocolate chips!

Lots of people ask me for the recipe and sometimes at events people will say "Oh, I was hoping you were going to bring those!

Eclair Cake:

Graham crackers

Vanilla Pudding

Chocolate icing

Lay graham crackers in layer. Cover with vanilla pudding. Add another layer of graham crackers. Cover again with vanilla pudding. Heat chocolate icing for a few seconds in microwave and cover vanilla pudding. Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Very popular and delicious!

My Banana Pudding gets rave reviews and you can make a ton and there is no cooking involved. These are the proportions, but I usually double this:

1 lg. package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding mix

2 cups milk

1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk

1 lg container Cool Whip

Bananas

Vanilla Wafers

Mix the pudding mix, milk, and Eagle Brand together well. Fold in half of the Cool Whip. In your dish, Layer vanilla wafers, bananas, pudding--twice. Then put the rest of the cool whip on top.

When I make this, I double the recipe and I layer it all in one of those blue speckled turkey roasting pans because that is how my grandmother did it. I don't need quite so much cool whip for the top, so I fold more into the pudding. And to make it look nice, I tuck vanilla wafers down into the pudding all around the edge of the pan.

Get it nice and cold--perfect for this weather!

Edited by smillard00
correction

Trifle!

Just layer storebought poundcake, pudding, "toppings," and coolwhip. Let it sit in the fridge until party time.

For a party, I'd make several different flavors. Here are some of the ones I've done:

Death By Chocolate

Brownies, chocolate pudding, heath bar (or any other candy bar), cool whip

Ginger Snap

Gingerbread, vanilla pudding, lemon curd, toasted pecans, cool whip

Black Forest

Brownies, Vanilla Pudding, Cherry Pie Filling, Chocolate chips, Cool whip

Pina Colada

Pound cake/Angel Food Cake, Vanilla Pudding, Crushed Pineapple, Coconut, Cool Whip

Berry

Pound Cake, Vanilla Pudding, Berried, Cool Whip

Really the variations are endless.

Just wondering...do you sell Pampered Chef?

:lol: No way (I think it's overpriced)! But I do have an aunt who does, and she sends me boxes of the stuff. So I do use a lot of their products and have tons of their recipe books, and their desserts almost always turn out fabulous. And you can make all their recipes without buying their things.

I have been making a cake similar to Cindy. I use store bought pound cake, cut it into several layers but I fill mine with frozen yogurt or sherbet. Frost the finished cake with cool whip. It works best to freeze the cake before slicing (30-60 minutes) and to thaw the frozen yogurt in the frig (30-60 minutes) before assembling the layers.

Fancy or fun???

1) I love dirt cake! Both my family and my husband's family love it as well.

Ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese

1 stick margarine or butter

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 large tub cool whip

2 - 8 oz envelopes instant chocolate pudding

oreo crumbs

milk for pudding

Mix: cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla

add cool whip

mix pudding and add to other ingredients

Layer with oreo crumbs, refrigerate for a couple of hours.

My house mom in college would serve this in a plastic window box (4 batches! for 60 girls!) and put flowers in it. We dished in out with a little shovel. You can also add gummy worms for a fun treat for the kids.

You can make it, set it out with flowers in it as a "decoration" for the table and then surprise everyone when it is time for desert! We did this a a garden themed wedding shower for my cousin.

2) For something a little fancier looking, and easier (if you buy a cake).

Take a chocolate cake and crumble it up. Layer with cool whip and heath bar bits. Refrigerate.

You could buy a cake from the bakery since you don't want to use the oven. I usually bake the cake the day before.

PEANUT BUTTER DELIGHT

2 1/2 c. quick oatmeal

1/2 c. peanut butter

2 tsp. vanilla

1 stick butter

2 c. sugar

1/2 c. milk

4 tbsp. cocoa

Measure oatmeal and peanut butter in bowl and set aside. Put butter in pot and melt. Add sugar, milk and cocoa and boil 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly add oatmeal, peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until mixed. *Pour into buttered pan. Let cool and cut into squares.

*Although I usually lay my 'delights' on wax paper by the tablespoon while hot or instead of letting them cool in the pan.*

Edited by athomemom

Duggar Family Ice Cream Cake:

Makes a 9â€x 13†Pan

24 Ice cream sandwiches

8 oz. Cool Whipâ„¢

1 Hershey’s™ chocolate syrup bottle

1 Smuckersâ„¢ caramel syrup bottle

2 king size Butterfingerâ„¢ candy bars chopped up

1st layer -12 ice cream sandwiches

2nd – half of whipped cream

3rd - half of Butterfingerâ„¢ bars, Squeeze 1/2 of caramel &

chocolate over that.

4th - rest of ice cream sandwiches

5th – Cool Whip™

6th - rest of Butterfingerâ„¢, caramel & chocolate

You can freeze this and eat as desired! Yummy! Yummy!

It is SOOO rich and goood!!

Philo dough cups (found in the frozen section, near the whipped topping.)

Vanilla pudding.

Cans of cherry pie filling, or strawberry pie filling.

Make the pudding. Pour it into the dough cups. When it gets firm, scoop a cherry (or strawberry) on each cup.

HEAVEN.

Eclair Cake:

Graham crackers

Vanilla Pudding

Chocolate icing

Lay graham crackers in layer. Cover with vanilla pudding. Add another layer of graham crackers. Cover again with vanilla pudding. Heat chocolate icing for a few seconds in microwave and cover vanilla pudding. Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Very popular and delicious!

I make a similar on to the above that is always a big hit. I mix 8 oz cool whip with the pudding. It makes it lighter/less dense. For the icing, I mist 1 c sugar, with 1/3 c cocoa, 1/4 c melted butter and 1/4 c milk. It comes out like a glaze you find on real eclairs.

My other go to dessert when it is hot is key lime pie. The recipe on the bottle of Nellie & Joe's key lime juice is easy and only requires about 10-15 minutes baking time. Top with real whipped cream and people think you are an amazing baker.

My 8 year old made this for the past church potluck and it was a HUGE hit. You also have to make it a day early - another bonus on my mind!!!

Duggar Family Ice Cream Cake:

Makes a 9â€x 13†Pan

24 Ice cream sandwiches

8 oz. Cool Whipâ„¢

1 Hershey’s™ chocolate syrup bottle

1 Smuckersâ„¢ caramel syrup bottle

2 king size Butterfingerâ„¢ candy bars chopped up

1st layer -12 ice cream sandwiches

2nd – half of whipped cream

3rd - half of Butterfingerâ„¢ bars, Squeeze 1/2 of caramel &

chocolate over that.

4th - rest of ice cream sandwiches

5th – Cool Whip™

6th - rest of Butterfingerâ„¢, caramel & chocolate

You can freeze this and eat as desired! Yummy! Yummy!

It is SOOO rich and goood!!

I like to get the little mini sponge cakes or angel food cakes, and drizzle them with some grand manier, or make some syrup with orange juice concentrate and some sugar or honey heated together. Then pile on some fresh fruit (I have done a mix of strawberries, blueberries, and some canned mandarin orange slices), then fresh whipped cream. You could always garnish with some dark chocolate shavings. Pretty, and easy, and cool.

I have done this as well using Agave Nectar. If you can toast the cake slightly after putting on the AN it's even better. ( I stole the recipe from Giada)

skor trifle. To avoid baking your own cake for it just buy the angel food cake. Layer angel food cake peices, chocolate pudding, whipped cream and sprinkle with craushed skor then repeat until top of dish is reached. Usually I end up with 3 sets of all the layers. Huge hit at family gatherings.

"Magic Lemonade Pie"

6 oz can lemonade, thawed

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

small tub cool whip (or generic)

graham cracker crust

Mix together lemonade and milk. Fold in cool whip. Pour into crust and put in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.

One note on this...

Do not attempt to go completely fat free as it will not set up. Pick one to be regular fat and the other to be low fat if you need to reduce the fat. I've tried both the milk and cool whip low-fat and it didn't set up the greatest, either.

If you want to use a full can of lemonade just double everything else and you'll be fine. Pink lemonade can be used but it makes for a much sweeter pie that you may not like as much as the regular lemonade.

Buy fresh or frozen berries and gently fold them into freshly whipped cream (REAL whipping cream, not cool whip, etc.) Generously "frost" store bought angel food cake. Slice and serve immediately or chill for up to an hour, then serve. Garnish with some of the berries and a mint leaf if desired.

Every time I serve this to guests it is a HUGE success. Everyone loves it, especially if I use fresh strawberries that have been crushed with a small bit of sugar or honey added. It is also wonderful with raspberries.

Easy, inexpensive and you don't have to heat up the kitchen.

Enjoy!

Lucinda

This recipe serves approximately 8-12 people, so you would need to double it or triple it.

Ingredients:

1 pkg. chocolate chip cookies such as Nabisco Chips Ahoy or Keebler Chips Deluxe (For something different, try the coconut or the caramel or the peanut butter kind!)

1 - 1 1/2 cups milk

Cool Whip

Hershey's syrup, chocolate or caramel (optional)

Directions:

1. Crumble one or two cookies and set aside.

2. Dip cookies one at a time in milk and line bottom of 9x13 dish.

3. When the bottom of the dish is covered, spread Cool Whip (approximately 1 inch) on top of cookies.

4. Continue to layer dipped cookies with Cool Whip until dish is filled.

5. Sprinkle crumbled cookies on top, then if desired, drizzle Hershey's syrup on top.

6. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Trifle:

In a large, pretty bowl layer cubed pound cake with some microwave melted jam in your choice of flavor poured over it so that it soaks into the cubes (not too much) with fresh fruit and fresh whipped cream (better if made with brown sugar). I like blueberries and strawberries (and orange marmelade), but any fruits would do....