Menu

the heat some of you have down there!

The worst conditions Monday blanketed a broad band from Texas to Minnesota and the Dakotas, as 17 states issued heat watches, warnings or advisories. Some of the highest temperatures were reported in Newton, Iowa (52 C), Mitchell, S.D., (nearly 49 C) and Madison, Minn. (48 C).

I just read this on a news site up here… anyone here in "Newton Iowa"? I can't even imagine what 52C (125F) would FEEL like. :001_huh:

What do you do in that kind of crazy hot yuck??

I'm a winter chick who is currently melting in 26C (78F) weather.

:iagree: I have nothing else to say on the matter. But I may continue to giggle periodically.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Do you laugh at the "heat down there" when you're wearing your "bottom clothing?"

I'm really cracking myself up here!!!:lol::tongue_smilie::lol::tongue_smilie:

The worst conditions Monday blanketed a broad band from Texas to Minnesota and the Dakotas, as 17 states issued heat watches, warnings or advisories. Some of the highest temperatures were reported in Newton, Iowa (52 C), Mitchell, S.D., (nearly 49 C) and Madison, Minn. (48 C).

I just read this on a news site up here… anyone here in "Newton Iowa"? I can't even imagine what 52C (125F) would FEEL like. :001_huh:

The worst I've felt is 110-115F while in Mexico and Honduras on mission trips. I thought I was going to die. And that whole "dry heat" thing only works when it's not freaking hot.

We've been in the middle 90s with a heat index of 100-105, and humid. It hurts to go outside. I walk out my door and am covered in sweat in a matter of minutes. But I am a MI gal and it just doesn't usually get this hot here.

Will not make inappropriate joke about title.:lol:

:iagree: I have nothing else to say on the matter. But I may continue to giggle periodically.

Actually read the thread after my last post and see I am not the only one who went there!

The heat wave, yes, but most locations will have lower temps before August, while Texas and Arizona will not.

Blech.

What do we do? We stay inside, go to the library, go shopping but not too much, read, sew, watch tv, sit at the computer, watch the hummingbirds, do laundry and clean the house. We go out at night and I walk at night for exercise. Even then, the temp is still 90-95 by 9 or 10 p.m.

Some people go bowling or go to the movies, but you can't live there.

This is new to me and I wish I was back on the east coast!

It is too hot to go swimming most of the time, or the water is too hot.:001_huh:

Right now the temp is 100F.:ack2::glare:

Do you laugh at the "heat down there" when you're wearing your "bottom clothing?"

I'm really cracking myself up here!!!:lol::tongue_smilie::lol::tongue_smilie:

No, I may complain about the heat down there and remove my bottom clothing.

As I type at 6:15 pm, my outdoor (duh) thermostat reads 102. Heat index 112. This is unbelievable!!!! I do not want to see my next electric bill!!!!

That is miserable heat.

We probably have another week of low 80s then go on down to the 70s by 1 August. Usually our trees start to change by mid-August.

I went outside to pick veggies for supper, when I tried to come back inside I burned my hand on the door handle. I won't be going out again anytime soon. Thankfully we have central air and even though it's not keeping up it's cool enough that we aren't sweating. Temps are in the mid 90's this week. The hottest I've ever experience is 106. Thankfully it doesn't get that hot very often. Sorry for all those further south who this is a regular occurrence for.

Honestly, we go out in it! We play with the horses, run track, you name it. I didn't realize how much we had adapted until it was 90 with a breeze and we got goosebumps. Then we went into Burger King and had to were hoodies!

Dh doesn't have ac in his little commuter car. He call his evening commute his "Houston weight loss plan!" :D

I feel horrible for the people who are more north. Here in the south, we're used to the heat and have AC. I remember when we lived in NY and MI, our houses didn't have AC because it was rarely needed. We're going on our 30th day of over 100 since the first of June. Many friends' animals are dying. I'm ready for some cooler weather and the (NOT) funny part is we're just now heading into what's usually the hottest part of the summer!

This northern plains mom, read this as practically living in North Dakota, is sweltering in this heat! The humidity is truly awful and so many places up here are inadequately air-conditioned. Two of my kids are working at camp this week with no air-conditioning at all and have to be outside all day.

I'm trying to appreciate the heat for what it is; soon the snow will fly and I'll be talking about temps below zero Fahrenheit! LOL

I don't quite understand the whole heat index thing? Either it is that temp or it's not. Can some one fill me in. I have never heard that term used for our local weather. I'm typing this while the current temp is 64 degrees and it has been cloudy and rainy here since Saturday:001_unsure:.

I don't quite understand the whole heat index thing? Either it is that temp or it's not. Can some one fill me in. I have never heard that term used for our local weather. I'm typing this while the current temp is 64 degrees and it has been cloudy and rainy here since Saturday:001_unsure:.

Heat index accounts for humidity and such.

There are factors that make it "feel" hotter than the temperature actually is.

For instance here it is 97 but the heat index is 100, so the added humidity is making it feel hotter than it is.

Where elegantlion is the heat index is 103 while the temp is 96

So, it is hotter here but since where she is has higher humidity then it "feels" hotter there

Well, my dh works in Street Maintenance, so high 90s plus 300 degree asphalt equals a very HOT dh!

The kids swim alot - a friend bought them one of those cheapy above ground pools and the LOVE it!

ETA: Temp here is 89, heat index of 98. I just went outside and it feels pretty good! :lol:

Edited by Renee in FL

I'm thinking that is the heat index from looking at this site. It's currently 94 with a heat index of 114. When I was watching Good Morning America this morning while I was on the treadmill, they were talking about head index numbers in the 120s across the country, but not actual temps.

Whew! I was hoping that was the case, but wasn't really sure--what with global warming and all! (ooops...was that too political? ;))

Our temp at the moment is 101 degrees. It feels like 102 degrees. At times the temperature has read 109 this summer. I have no idea what the heat index was at that moment.:tongue_smilie: Thank God for the AC, ice cream, books, t.v. and video games. AND the occasional trip to the grocery store. It's usually cool there. :D

It was rainy here one day recently, after the rain fell it was super foggy...only it wasn't fog. It was steam.

Whew! I was hoping that was the case, but wasn't really sure--what with global warming and all! (ooops...was that too political? ;))

It must be very selective global warming if that is the case.:lol: We have had the coldest summer that I can remember. I believe the hottest day was about 89 degrees.

It was rainy here one day recently, after the rain fell it was super foggy...only it wasn't fog. It was steam.

Yeah we really don't get the humidity here when it is raining it is typically cool(but it rains a lot), and when it is hot it is just hot.

I'm about an hour from Newton, and that is definitely the heat index! I think the highest HI we've had in my town is 115. It feels like a sauna. Or it would if I ever went outside. It's nice and cool in my house. :001_smile:

We've been in the middle 90s with a heat index of 100-105, and humid. It hurts to go outside. I walk out my door and am covered in sweat in a matter of minutes. But I am a MI gal and it just doesn't usually get this hot here.

Uh Huh!! And we don't have AC precisely because it's not supposed to get that hot here. It hurts more staying inside because our house has horrible air circulation. Weirdo windows. I mean!

Thank goodness for our subterranean basement. We drug all the mattresses down there and at least have somewhere decent to sleep. Can't wait til the cool down.

I'm about an hour from Newton, and that is definitely the heat index! I think the highest HI we've had in my town is 115. It feels like a sauna. Or it would if I ever went outside. It's nice and cool in my house. :001_smile:

We are about 40 minutes from Newton and I'd agree that is the HI. We were around 110 yesterday. My oldest dd and I had to go and help set up the swine barn for the 4H fair. That was a hot job!

Kelly

OP- 125 f was the heat index, 125 f was NOT the actual temp. It took me just a second to google that information. But 125 does sound outrageous if that's what you were going for lol.

I'm not in Newton, but I'm in Iowa. We have no ac in our house and it is awful. Last night I did not sleep more than maybe 1 or 2 hours. Today we drifted from place to place (library, mall, pizza place, other library, thrift store...) all day to stay in air conditioning and not overstay our welcome anywhere. We started our school year already, but we are taking this week off because it is too hot to remain calm, patient, attentive, etc. while working all day. Next week my olders will be at camp, so hopefully by the time they get back everything will be tolerable.

Thanks for the chance to complain. :)

My area has had over a months worth of greater than 100* days - starting in April! Today actually felt "cooler" because it only hit 98 or so.

I remember one summer shortly after I was hired. The unit I then worked on was stationed at a house built in the 1920s and the a/c was...inadequate, to say the least. One day the temperature soared to 112 and the heat index was in the 130s. And the a/c broke.

My partner and I first drove to the WalMart one town over and spent heaven knows how many hours wandering the aisles just to be in a/c. When we went back to the station we stripped down to work pants and undershirts. We took off our uniform shirts, socks, and boots and just became darn near reptilian in that we didn't move unless we had a call. We also, during our WM wanderings, bought a bunch of corn starch and sprinkled it liberally into our boots, shirts, and underwear. Of course, we availed ourselves of the bathroom so as not to embarrass each other. It helped a bit.

Those were the days...

I am jealous of everyone who "cools off" in August. August is the WORST month in Alabama. Its sticky, humid and just awful. Right now it is 97 outside at 6:33. The heat index earlier was 107.

I think we must be running neck and neck because it's currently 94 in Minnesota(!?) at 8:37 pm, heat index 109 (!?). January is looking better all the time. We only have window unit AC that just take the edge off. We are not happy campers. My kids refuse to have AC on in their rooms at night. They are nuts!

Misery loves company! Thanks for the mutual whine fest.

]I feel horrible for the people who are more north.[/b] Here in the south' date=' we're used to the heat and have AC. I remember when we lived in NY and[b'] MI, our houses didn't have AC because it was rarely needed. [/b]We're going on our 30th day of over 100 since the first of June. Many friends' animals are dying. I'm ready for some cooler weather and the (NOT) funny part is we're just now heading into what's usually the hottest part of the summer!

This would be us. No a/c because out of most summers we might use a window unit 5 or 6 days. . . maybe! This week is unreal. They are calling for 99/100 on Thursday after 90's for days on end. I caught myself today thinking that snow sounds nice. . . :001_smile: