Menu

Clothing question 1 - ironing

Do you iron?  

1. 1. Do you iron?

• No, strictly wash and wear. We don't even own an iron
    • I'll iron once or twice a year for an important event
    • I iron once or twice a season.
    • I'll iron if something needs it, but not really more than once a month or so
    • Someone in my household needs uniforms ironed so I do it weekly
    • I prefer my clothes to be ironed and do it weekly
    • A combination of option 5 and 6
    • I iron everything we wear prior to us wearing it - daily
    • I iron my clothes daily
    • Ironing - the best chore ever. I iron every single thing I can even the sheets

I'm going to put this in the form of a poll so, wait for it.

I iron my clothes - most especially my summer clothes because they are mostly cotton or linen and come out of the washing machine fairly wrinkled. I've quit putting the vast majority of my clothing in the dryer, but even in the past I iron my clothes fairly regularly. Back in the day, before they went to BDUs, I ironed dh's uniforms.

When I mention that I'm going to take care of this chore, people often look at me as if I've grown two heads. I've actually had one person tell me that I make other wives look like slackers.

So my question is, do you iron clothing with any regularity?

I ironed a skirt today but that's the first time my iron's been out for any reason other than a kid's craft project in a long time. Most of my clothes are either not supposed to be ironed or so complicated that my pathetic ironing skills aren't up to the job so I'll take them to the dry cleaners.

If I knew my way around an iron better I'd do it more because I love the look of crisp clothing.

Yes, but I think I'm weird :-). I hang dry and iron all of hubby's work clothes (khakis, polo shirts and oxford type shirts), my capris and nicer cotten tops I wear in the summer, and many of my boys' shirts. Something theraputic about it for me. I can say that our clothes last and look great for a long time and our clothes don't shrink. I think I am in the minority though.

Most of our clothes are wash and wear and we dry our clothes in the dryer so they aren't wrinkled anyway. I do iron if we are having photos made or the boys are going to wear formal wear, so once or twice per year.

I do use the iron regularly when I am working on sewing projects. I am sort of obsessive about constantly pressing my seams. I don't think that is the sort of ironing to which you were referring.

Well, I love ironing. There's little I love more than working my way through a basket of full ironing while watching a documentary or three on the TV, especially if I've managed to get rid of the boys for an afternoon :tongue_smilie:. Very satisfying, very relaxing.

Cassy

I iron when I asbsolutely have to because I do not like it except when I am quilting! LOL....yep, quilting...ironing seams, that's a good thing...ironing shirts...bad thing.

I have discovered that the dry cleaners six miles from my home will iron freshly laundered shirts for $1.99. Dh only needs to drive in to meetings about five days per month so the rest of the time, he wears polo shirts. So, I spend $10.00 a month to not do the thing I hate most which is ironing his shirts.

I had a roommate in college who ironed everying. She ironed her panties and her socks along with her bath towels and sheets. She only lasted one semester before dropping out...thankfully, because she had some other traits that ensured she was going to be throttled by the other residents of the dorm if she did not cease and desist!

Faith

There wasn't an "other" so I voted that I iron my clothes daily.;)

That's not 100% accurate but it was the closest fit.

I iron all of my dh's shirts. He's really particular about wanting his stuff ironed. I also iron my ds's button down shirts. I also iron a few of my dd's items. I iron something most days for myself as well.

I even have a built in ironing board that stores my iron in my bedroom. We don't like being wrinkled.:)

I usually let the ironing pile up for a month or so because we have very little that needs it. I wasn't sure how much I'd like the new Navy Working Uniform, but since it means no ironing necessary I've grown to love it. Also my dh looks smokin' hot when he's in his NWU pants with the t-shirt only. Sorry kind of went off on a tangent there.

I never iron, but I selected the option of when something needs it because I steam anything that is wrinkled. I LOVE my Conair steamer! It is so much easier than ironing! If I take clothes out of the dryer and hang or put away quickly, they don't need ironing.

Funny you asked. Just this morning as I was ironing my clothes that I was going to wear today, my husband asked, "why don't you just do all your ironing at once?" Well, gee, I try not to iron at all. But, yes, it seems like a lot of my summer clothes need ironing. So I iron as I need. I'm certainly not organized enough to do all my ironing at once! Besides, why iron more than I need too. Maybe I should try ironing in front of the tv. Then I won't feel so guilty watching America's Got Talent.

I used to iron weekly because a lot of our baby clothes looked better ironed. I was a little OCD about the baby clothes! Now that most of my kids have outgrown those clothes I only iron once a month or so when something needs it.

I iron once or twice a year for an important event. My dh has wrinkle free pants and wears golf shirts with those to work. If he needs something special ironed he takes care of it. My ds irons his bdu's and his dress uniform for CAP once a week.

I despise ironing and confess to looking askance at people who have ironing on their regular "to do" list - Mostly in a wondering and amazement kind of way. Why do they iron? Should I iron? I really don't think ironing will raise my quality of life, just sap my precious time so I always come back around to Nah. I shouldn't iron. I have no idea why some people do. :D

So my question is, do you iron clothing with any regularity?

I don't. I have a great set-up with some of my siblings, and all things laundry belong to my sister. I drop off dirties twice a week, and pick them back up clean and ironed. She loves laundry, is great with stains and mending, and gets to watch her trashy tv shows while she irons LOL.

I tend to rotate through my ironed clothing so that I only iron about once a month, except during tax season when I wear clothes that need to ironed more frequently, ie, I don't have enough "nice" clothes to wear what I need to work and iron only once a month.

I love the way ironed clothes look. I also know that cotton and linen are cooler in the summer.

However, household ironing was frequently my job as a child. Our weekly ironing would take over an hour and it had to be perfect. If I made a mistake instead of re-washing the item I had to iron out the incorrect crease and put in a new one. Our pile of ironing, when stacked on the ironing board, towered over my head.

For years after I started homeschooling I only wore Tshirts and jeans (same as Dh) so that I wouldn't have to iron.

You forgot an 'other'.

I never iron. Wolf does when needed.

:iagree:

Same here -- if ironing is required, dh does it. He even steamed and ironed my dress for our wedding. :lol: We just got a new dryer-- I chose an LG with the steam feature to help him out. :D

I only use the iron for crafts or sewing projects.

ETA: dh is ex-military, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Seems like a lot of the military guys value a good ironing and don't balk at doing it themselves. :)

Edited by ChandlerMom

I do not iron. Pretty much ever.

My dh irons his stuff as needed. I try very hard to not buy things that need ironing. I voted that (wash and wear) even though we do own an iron, because I am not the one to use it. Well, except for ironing seams when quilting......

I iron about 60% of our clothes.

I iron:

-all of mine and DH's pants and shorts (except jeans)

-all of DH's polo shirts, he wears them to work

-most of my t-shirts and other knit shirts

-many of DD's shirts, dresses, and skirts

-any piece of clothing that stayed in the dryer too long and got wrinkled

I like to iron, I set-up in front of the tv in my bedroom and watch shows from Netflix.

ETA - I have been known to iron pillowcases and the top of the sheet for the guest room. I also have a very nice Rowenta iron that produces a ton of steam, the key to easy ironing.

Edited by kitten18

Back in the day, before they went to BDUs, I ironed dh's uniforms.

I never, ever, ever ironed James Bond's BDU's. He did. I don't like to iron and he wanted them done "his way" so his way it was, done by him. I was happy taking them to the cleaner and having them pressed.

My mom is crazy with the ironing. Crazy with a capital C. She irons everything. And when I say everything, I mean it: jeans, pajamas, sheets, UNDERWEAR. It's a sickness. When we visit, she always tries to iron my clothes and I have to stop her because she wants to crease my jeans. Ack.

I iron only when necessary.

I chose option three - once or twice a season. My biggest ironing project is usually patches for scout uniforms. Dh wears dress clothes for work, but I take them to the dry cleaners. If I have something special that needs ironing I usually send it along with his. Our everyday clothes are mostly wash and wear.

Do you use starch or sizing on the sheets?

Nope. But I did use Mrs. Myer's ironing spray on the wide hem edge of the top sheet and pillow cases until they stopped making it. :glare: Now, I'm going to have to make my own.

Also, when I do starch, I use liquid, dunk and squeeze out the excess and roll 'em up in the fridge. Much better than spray starch IMNSHO; spray starch sits on top and scorches. Blech.

I have mangle envy, too. Apparently my Meme had a roll-around one right in the kitchen that was there when my dad and his brothers cleaned out my Pepe's house after he died. :svengo:What I wouldn't give to have Meme's mangle.

My husband does all the ironing! :)

He likes all his clothes ironed so he does it himself, usually every day, but sometimes he'll iron a lot of things at once. I have him iron my/kids' clothes on the rare occasion that they need it.

I answered that I iron for an important event. But now I'm not sure what that would be as my "special event" clothes are dry clean only. So I guess I should have said I don't iron. But my dh does wear a uniform for work and his shirts need to be ironed. He does them himself, though. I will occasionally iron a shirt for him when he's really busy. Very occasionally. :D

Once or twice a year. I now shop for clothes with "wash and wear" in mind. If I were to buy something that had to be ironed, it would be ok, if I really wanted that item, but it would be sure to wrinkle after sitting in it (in the car, at the event, etc). So I'd rather have something that doesn't wrinkle in those circumstances.

Nope. But I did use Mrs. Myer's ironing spray on the wide hem edge of the top sheet and pillow cases until they stopped making it. :glare: Now, I'm going to have to make my own.

Also, when I do starch, I use liquid, dunk and squeeze out the excess and roll 'em up in the fridge. Much better than spray starch IMNSHO; spray starch sits on top and scorches. Blech.

I have mangle envy, too. Apparently my Meme had a roll-around one right in the kitchen that was there when my dad and his brothers cleaned out my Pepe's house after he died. :svengo:What I wouldn't give to have Meme's mangle.

Wow! That sounds like a lot of work. But if you enjoy it or somehow get pleasure from the accomplishment I'm not going to try to stop you. :D I had to look up a mangle.