Menu

When people come to visit you (sorry long)

So my mom let me know the other day :001_rolleyes:that in one month she'll come out to visit. For a month. (she's disabled and can't drive that far by herself, so traveling companions dictate how long she stays) I had finally put the finishing touches on my school schedule for next year, ie when we take the breaks as I plan on schooling year round. This school year isn't so much about forcing him to sit in the desk and do the work, but I'm considering it our practice to train me to do it consistently before I have to report him to the school district.

I plan on doing school when she's here. She'll be here so long that I know she'll get lots of time with the kids. Then I found out my sister would be flying out for a week to visit and then she'll drive back with my mom. I'm not sure if her visit will coincide with our break and if it doesn't, I'm fine with switching it around or taking an extra week off (like I said, this year is just practice).

But just for future reference: Do you guys let your family know when you are available for visits or do you plan around whenever they want to come? :lurk5:

I let my family know when we're available.

Then again, no one in my family would stay for a month. Someone would be on trial for murder... And I'm not sure who would win!!!

I also possibly err by going too far to the right of boundary settings. I know my family feels it's hard to get inside sometimes because well, it is. I have boundaries. They are more pronounced than many other peoples' and I know that hurts my parents sometimes. But every single time I relax those boundaries, I get run over.

My parents are courteous enough to ask about our plans before they make their arrangements to visit.

My inlaws tell us when they are coming. :glare:

:iagree:Except I'll add that my dh is awesome and tells my inlaws when they are NOT coming :D and makes them work around our plans.

I let my family know when we're available.

Then again, no one in my family would stay for a month. Someone would be on trial for murder... And I'm not sure who would win!!!

I also possibly err by going too far to the right of boundary settings. I know my family feels it's hard to get inside sometimes because well, it is. I have boundaries. They are more pronounced than many other peoples' and I know that hurts my parents sometimes. But every single time I relax those boundaries, I get run over.

trust me, I understand. I've hinted that she can stay with my aunt or my grandparents or my brother some while she's here too. Though it's gotten a lot better since I learned to say, "That's not a problem you need to worry about." That way she learned not to worry about my problems so much:lol:

I plan around visits. It is one of the best parts of homeschooling. Also if someone is coming to the expense and trouble of coming to visit, I think that it is the least I could do. We can not afford to travel to see them, but I can make sure to see them while they are here, or offer our hospitality to them. :001_smile:

Excellent, thank you all. I told my mom we'd have to do school when she was here and she said that wasn't a problem (she's here several times a year). But I rarely see my sister, so I think taking our break then is a good idea.

Do you guys let your family know when you are available for visits or do you plan around whenever they want to come?

We've always planned around whenever they want to come. We typically do not do school when "company" is here, but I might have my kids read or keep up with a few things, watch something educational on tv (I plead for Animal Planet, and they think that means When Bears Attack). :glare:

However, if I had a grandparent coming for a month, we would definitely do school for part of that time. That's more than just a usual family visit, imo.

FYI...I didn't start any formal homeschooling until my children reached their 7th birthday. Up to then, their education consisted of library visits, museum visits, nature walks, puppet shows, stories on tape, arts, crafts, reading a variety of fiction/nonfiction books, collecting everything, etc - so I don't think anyone visiting would have interfered at all!

Myra

I would just school around any visits. At age 5, sit-down schoolwork would be an hour at most, anyway, and Grandma time is precious. She might love to do read alouds, table crafts, etc., anyway.

My answer would be different for upper elem/middle/high schoolers who need longer and more consistent hours.

My parent's schedule is dictated by the University they work at, and since I also teach at a college, we're usually on break at the same time, so I plan my school schedule accordingly. My DD may be the one 6 yr old on a trimester system :).

My parent's always came for a month at a time - while there were times I thought there might be a murder we always made it through. At the age of your dc part of their "school" was showing off their school books and letting Granddad or Me-Maw read aloud to them, listen to them read, over-see a math page, tell them stories for their "Family books", etc. We took cool field trips - easier for me bec extra adult hands helped. For us it ended up being a time for making memories - we lost my dad two years ago and my mom has been dx w/ stage 4 cancer. Even my older kids found ways to incorporate grand-parent time into the school schedule and we're all glad that we have.

We typically plan around visits. There is one exception: my kids have pre-determined weeks with my in-laws (always the same months but the days/weeks are flexible to the inlaws' scheduling; six weeks per year) where my kids fly out to be with that side of their family. I invite the inlaws to visit us here a minimum of three times per year: the kids' birthday week, one week in the fall, and one week in the spring (the last two to be able to see the kids' extracurriculars). I also fly them in for any "big" events, like plays or championship games. I fly my kids out for any "big" events (baptisms, births, cousins' extracurriculars). We do no school during any of these periods (and this reflects only my in-laws' time with the kids; not MY family's time.)

It's still not quite enough for my inlaws, and they'll often let me know they're planning to fly in x-week. We're the only family they have here, but they own rental properties that they check on. Often. Too often. They also have airline benefits, so flying is free and easy. They still expect me to drop all school whenever they decide to drop in. I did so the first year and fell way behind. I'm not terribly organized to begin with, plus I work outside the home (traveling the country) so that year was stressful on the schoolfront. Since then, I plan according to my first paragraph above, and if they want to fly out any other time - they're welcome to, but they don't get the kids until after school is done. Otherwise, even though we school year-round, we weren't getting enough consistent school time in to be able to warrant those pre-determined six weeks per year that were important to the inlaws (religious holidays, family reunions, etc.) It did take a handful of times of flying out and not getting time with the kids before they realized I was serious; their daughter (a college professor) backed me up, saying family time was important - but not at the expense of education!

But other than them LOL, yes - we always stop entirely or do school "lite" when family is around. For us, school lite would be math and grammar, plus some independent reading. In your case, I'd maybe consider school lite. It'd seem less overwhelming to catch back up once Moms goes back home, and would leave you still feeling somewhat in control of the situation.

I would just school around any visits. At age 5, sit-down schoolwork would be an hour at most, anyway, and Grandma time is precious. She might love to do read alouds, table crafts, etc., anyway.

My answer would be different for upper elem/middle/high schoolers who need longer and more consistent hours.

I'm sorry, I tried to make this part clear, but looking again, I don't think I did. We do maybe 20-30 minutes of seatwork. He does a math page or two of MUS primer and he does a page or two of HWOT (however many he wants to do, I always ask him at the end of each page). The rest is pretty much me reading to him, which is what he loves. If he were in public school, he'd be starting kindergarten this fall. Next year (his 1st grade year) I need to report him to the state and have to get 810 hours in. That's what I mean about this year being a practice year. I want to practice doing it on a consistent schedule so that I know I can do it his 1st grade year.

I do like your suggestion of getting her involved, thank you.

Edited by meggie

Honestly, it depends on who it is, and how long they're in town.

My MIL, we adhere strictly to the schedule, and she's not welcome until Wolf is done work. Having her hrs to myself is a recipe for disaster. She likes to be in town for 6 wks at a time, and would be delighted to have us constantly dance to her tune.

My parents, they don't intend to monopolize entire days, just a few hrs, so that's easily worked around, and they're never in town for more than a few days anyways.

My parents would love to be involved, and I'd be good with it, if they were around longer. No way in Hades would I involve my MIL. She was a REAL teacher, and has already tried to pressure us by saying that she could move in and hs the kids. Nope, nope, nope.

I don't see my parents very often so when they told me when they were coming (both separately since they are divorced, with their partners) in the same year, we just accepted it and planned around it.

I continued doing school but we did take some time off for "field trips" with them. I figured it was good for them to see our routine anyway and feel part of it.

My family always assumes that if they come on a Monday - Friday, my kids will be in school (unless it's Christmas or summer). They would never expect my kids to just "take off," just as they wouldn't if they were in PS. That being said, one of the joys of homeschooling -- as others have mentioned -- is the ability to be flexible. If my sister were coming for a week, I might only have them do math each day, and the rest of the day free to be with my sister. Or if she were only coming for two days, we might just take off both days altogether. :)

So my mom let me know the other day :001_rolleyes:that in one month she'll come out to visit. For a month. (she's disabled and can't drive that far by herself, so traveling companions dictate how long she stays) I had finally put the finishing touches on my school schedule for next year, ie when we take the breaks as I plan on schooling year round. This school year isn't so much about forcing him to sit in the desk and do the work, but I'm considering it our practice to train me to do it consistently before I have to report him to the school district.

I plan on doing school when she's here. She'll be here so long that I know she'll get lots of time with the kids. Then I found out my sister would be flying out for a week to visit and then she'll drive back with my mom. I'm not sure if her visit will coincide with our break and if it doesn't, I'm fine with switching it around or taking an extra week off (like I said, this year is just practice).

But just for future reference: Do you guys let your family know when you are available for visits or do you plan around whenever they want to come? :lurk5:

Plan around whenever they want to come. Fortunately my mil is getting pretty predictable so it's not a problem. Last year my schedule got thrown for a loop because of a last minute invite to spend a week vacationing in some friends' 2nd home. It was our 1st family vacation ever and we jumped at the chance. But we did have to shuffle our school days.

This year school starts Aug. 15th so that we can take a sufficient number of breaks and still be finished before June. Then my oldest son finally gets the dates for his CAP encampment. It's the week of the 15th. :glare: I have a feeling he'll be D.E.A.D. when he gets back too so I won't schedule him to start the next week either. WE"LL be starting the 15th and he'll be starting two weeks later. It's a good thing he's starting high school and doing his own thing so that we can go ahead without him. I'll probably have him work through fall break and then go a week into summer break. And then it's time for band camp. Oh scheduling is going to get complicated with teenagers.

Until my kids hit about 11 or 12, I found it very easy to simply plan school around life. I took breaks whenever someone could visit, etc. Once the kids began high school level material, it gets harder to be terribly flexible, but I generally still manage it. If I have something cooperative set in stone with another family or a music lesson or such, I will generally avoid cancelling that, but most things that we do on our own, I cancel or rearrange.

I figure that the flexibility is one of the great benefits of hs'ing, so why not take advantage of it.

FWIW, I still find that my 8 yo can miss days or weeks of school and very quickly make it up. If you have a subject that you really need to hit a lot, such as reading, then you can still do that subject most days on holiday, skipping all the rest.

My advice: ENJOY this flexibility while you can. Don't make your life harder now by being too structured. Soon enough, you won't have that flexibility, and believe me, you'll miss it!

The only family that stay at my place for extended visits are my in-laws, and they have to fly half way around the world to get here ( from Canada) . They stay for a month. What I do is while they are here we do half days of school. Just the morning subjects ( maths , reader, spelling, grammar,WWE, phonics for youngest, German). that way they an spend time with their grandparents in the afternoon, and I have time to make the house in perfect condition, and cook fancy meals every night.

All my family in in Europe - I' m thriled if somebody wans to come visit and would do anything to accommodate their schedule. We try to schedule visits to coincide with my breaks from work so that I can spend time with them.

We are very flexible about school during these times.