Menu

Question about Nature shows and copulation

What do you do when animal mating comes up on nature shows with your kids? At what age are you okay with them watching it by themselves?

I ask because we were watching a documentary (?) on insects and within the first 8 minutes had both ladybugs and snails doing it ultra-zoom in, slow-motion, fills the whole tv screen. It was rated "G." Would you consider that to be "G" ? Would you be okay with a 4 year old watching it? At what age would you be okay with it?

I stopped it after the snails. I didn't want to watch it, let alone let my ds4 watch it.

We wouldn't censor that at any age -- either a kid is too young to really know what they're doing, or the kid is old enough to start asking questions (which would be the natural time for us to explain how animals reproduce). I don't think animals mating is gross, dirty, or traumatizing for young eyes... I have yet to hear someone explain precisely what it is about it that is inappropriate for children. To me, learning about mating rituals is as important and often as fascinating as their migratory patterns or their eating habits or what have you.

We wouldn't censor that at any age -- either a kid is too young to really know what they're doing, or the kid is old enough to start asking questions (which would be the natural time for us to explain how animals reproduce). I don't think animals mating is gross, dirty, or traumatizing for young eyes... I have yet to hear someone explain precisely what it is about it that is inappropriate for children.

I agree.

To me, learning about mating rituals is as important and often as fascinating as their migratory patterns or their eating habits or what have you.

I have a book about animal sex that is fascinating to read, in a train wreck kind of way. I don't read it to my kids since it is written for adults - and I'm not sure I can read aloud the words, "detachable swimming penis" with a straight face.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Animals-Have-Sex-Reproductive/dp/B000FILILW/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308796241&sr=1-3

It wouldn't occur to me to have shielded them from animal mating at any age. That's just biology, IMO.

FWIW, we went to a festival a couple weeks ago with a petting zoo and the kids saw some llamas getting frisky. They didn't think anything of it at all, but I certainly giggled. I guess I'm a little like a 12 y/o in that manner. :tongue_smilie:

We wouldn't censor that at any age -- either a kid is too young to really know what they're doing, or the kid is old enough to start asking questions (which would be the natural time for us to explain how animals reproduce). I don't think animals mating is gross, dirty, or traumatizing for young eyes... I have yet to hear someone explain precisely what it is about it that is inappropriate for children. To me, learning about mating rituals is as important and often as fascinating as their migratory patterns or their eating habits or what have you.

Completely agree with this. No issues at all for our family.

We don't feel a need to censor bug sex. I don't necessarily know that I would want to watch it... I do enjoy the amazingly detailed mating dances of tropical birds on Nature, though.

I will admit, the live show at the warthog pen I could have done without.

:iagree: This is how my parents handled it when I was a kid, and it is how I handle it now.

Attenborough's Trials of Life has several segments (communicating, migrating, raising babies) and one is on mating. When I found the whole set at Goodwill, that one hadn't even been taken out of the wrapper. We watched all the others and then that one. Kiddo was 4. He did fine until he got to the elephants, and then he bolted from the room. Later, about age 5, he asked to see it and did fine with it, but it was not his favorite. Still later, when a bird was laying a huge egg, he noted that "that has GOT to hurt".

By not making a comment or gesture about it, by it being done by the tasteful and wonderful David Attenborough, by letting kiddo set the pace for such things, any stress or discomfort about the subject, at least between the two of us, is absent. This is just how I want it.

Edited by kalanamak
spelling

I know how you are feeling. Some nature shows are better than others. Snails - gotta say no thanks.

We were watching, Wild Russia, and it was mating season. It seemed to show every creature. I couldn't take it when they showcased the porcupine. i laughed outloud. I should be more mature, but really it was too much!

:iagree::iagree:

We were watching a lot of bug sex today, Life in the Undergrowth, disc 1. :D Those spiders had me freaking.

:iagree:

This is the time when I also introduce human sexuality/reproduction books to my kids, though, so... YMMV.

I find it's great in leading up to human relations. When you discuss sperm in animals, it makes it very easy to discuss it with humans. :D It really breaks the ice and becomes something less shocking in the long run.

We took a photo of butterflies mating once.

post-1122-13535085055179_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535085055803_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535085055179_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535085055803_thumb.jpg

Edited by nestof3

I find it's great in leading up to human relations. When you discuss sperm in animals, it makes it very easy to discuss it with humans. :D It really breaks the ice and becomes something less shocking in the long run.

We took a photo of butterflies mating once.

yep. once you know what is what, mating is EVERYWHERE in nature.

My dd 4 showed me two grasshoppers..."Look mom, they are mating!"

Ladybugs and snails? It must have been microcosmos. :D

That movie has no words. What is happening is simply presented without comment. I am quite sure my 6 year old had zero clue and my 11 year old didn't care but he did like the opera that played along with the snails. My 6 year old did say something about the lazy ladybug who was trying to get the other one to give it a ride.

My kids adore nature videos and I don't say anything. That said, I don't seek out any that specifically deal with mating and reproduction as the focus. I know it has come up but they seem either uninterested or unphased. I have seen them reenact a whooooole lot of stuff but I have never seen that. Well, if the little one is pretending to be a mommy whatever animal has his fancy he will always say he is nursing his babies but that is about it. Mostly they reenact hunting and digging and things like that.

I live on a farm.

'nuff said.

Yeah... until they get old enough to wonder about how that relates to humans. One of my kids decided to make comments/ask questions about how... ahem... her parents "mated." (She used that word, too.) Unfortunately her older brother decided that it must be done just the way the roosters/hens do it and went ahead and "explained" it all to her. Umm... no. Sigh! I was not exactly ready to discuss this topic in that much *detail* at that time. Oh well.

You know your kids (and your family's values) best, so trust your gut. This thread has me cracking up, though. :lol:

My first thought when I read your post was, "Better to let them see snail sex than those baboons at the zoo last year.":001_huh:

Which reminded me of the huge tortoises at the zoo (the same trip). It was funny to watch each person's slow realization and reaction as they grasped the fact that the one tortoise was not, in fact, climbing on a rock. There were two tortoises. :D

Wendi

We wouldn't censor that at any age -- either a kid is too young to really know what they're doing, or the kid is old enough to start asking questions (which would be the natural time for us to explain how animals reproduce). I don't think animals mating is gross, dirty, or traumatizing for young eyes...

My 6 year old did say something about the lazy ladybug who was trying to get the other one to give it a ride.

LOL!! Cute (and not too far from the truth)... :tongue_smilie:

oh look... dawn has butterfly pron

:lol:

<snort>

You guys would probably get a kick out of Julia Sweeney's experience with "The Talk" and animals mating:

:001_huh: Please tell me this didn't really happen. I have to admit to having laughed a bit loudly a couple of times... but thinking back on it... if the conversation *really* happened this way with an 8 year old... well... it's a little horrifying. (And terrifying. Please tell me my child won't ask these very specific questions. And please tell me I won't lead her right into that abyss.)

We wouldn't censor that at any age -- either a kid is too young to really know what they're doing, or the kid is old enough to start asking questions (which would be the natural time for us to explain how animals reproduce).

I completely agree with this.

I know -- do you think someone will report me? :lol:

Don't open the thread about Nature shows and copulation!:D

Actually I think we watched the show that the OP watched or one similar. Ds was 3 years old and my brother said "What are those snails doing?!" Ds turned around and said matter-of-factly, "Uncle _______, they are mating." (Duh!)

Ladybugs and snails? It must have been microcosmos. :D

That movie has no words. What is happening is simply presented without comment. I am quite sure my 6 year old had zero clue and my 11 year old didn't care but he did like the opera that played along with the snails. My 6 year old did say something about the lazy ladybug who was trying to get the other one to give it a ride.

My kids adore nature videos and I don't say anything. That said, I don't seek out any that specifically deal with mating and reproduction as the focus. I know it has come up but they seem either uninterested or unphased. I have seen them reenact a whooooole lot of stuff but I have never seen that. Well, if the little one is pretending to be a mommy whatever animal has his fancy he will always say he is nursing his babies but that is about it. Mostly they reenact hunting and digging and things like that.

I love "Microcosmos"! Beautiful and fascinating. Did you freak out when you saw the spider who makes his own diving bell underwater by bringing air bubbles with him? Unbelievable.

I did like how they played opera music for the snails. Sweet.

Wendi

all the nature shows get into this as it's all part of the process, so leaving it out just never really happens. i'm with the others..... when my kids were young they didn't really get it, so they didn't ask..... i didn't make a big deal about it, so it just went over their heads..... fast forward to yesterday, they were watching a nature show and it was very advanced, and quite interesting.... kids are 10 and 12,,,,, gee, they didn't ask questions, but i think they got it..... our big talk is coming sooooooon! anyone have any great books on mom's talking to their boys.... i think it's important to have open communication, just not quite sure how to approach it.

Was it Microcosmos? We just watched that tonight! Snail mating and all!

Even though the movie didn't say anything, my kids have seen enough nature documentaries by now to proudly announce "They're mating!"

I do take comfort in the fact that if we lived on a farm, they would have seen a lot more mating in real life by now. :)

:001_huh: Please tell me this didn't really happen. I have to admit to having laughed a bit loudly a couple of times... but thinking back on it... if the conversation *really* happened this way with an 8 year old... well... it's a little horrifying. (And terrifying. Please tell me my child won't ask these very specific questions. And please tell me I won't lead her right into that abyss.)

They will and there will be questions about legs. I don't know why but it seems that what they will do with their legs is very important to little girls. And no matter how carefully you try to explain something, something will be misunderstood. I was raised on a farm. I was familiar with the mammal mode of mating. My mother explained to me that humans had sex facing each other instead of the normal mammal way. However, she did not explain to me the change in male physiology during arousal. I had only seen art pictures of unarounsed men. I wasn't exactly sure how the positioning would work either as it seemed to me that the input faced in exactly the opposite direction as the output. Of course, it only took one interaction with an aroused man for the little light bulb in my head to go off but some things, you really do need to learn yourself. :tongue_smilie:

It wouldn't occur to me to have shielded them from animal mating at any age. That's just biology, IMO.

Besides, we live on a farm where we have chickens (rooster too) and raise ponies. My kids have seen it all from a really early age. Any questions were just plain answered to their age level.

It actually surprises me that anyone would consider "normal critter life" off limits to anyone at any age.

I live on a farm.

'nuff said.

(my girls do pity our poor hens though)

This is a great rule of thumb. Farms usually produce healthy, well-balanced kids. Farms are also full of animal sex. If it's something the might be seen on the farm, don't sweat it.

This is a great rule of thumb. Farms usually produce healthy, well-balanced kids. Farms are also full of animal sex. If it's something the might be seen on the farm, don't sweat it.

:iagree: some animals , like ducks appear to be sex maniacs.

I am actually shocked that someone would watch a documentary on animals and think there wouldn't be any mating on it.

If parents make a big deal about it, it will be a big deal to their children. We live on a farm, it is all taken as matter of course here.

I am actually shocked that someone would watch a documentary on animals and think there wouldn't be any mating on it.

If parents make a big deal about it, it will be a big deal to their children. We live on a farm, it is all taken as matter of course here.

This just shows how removed many are from the natural world surrounding us. :sad:

Never would have occurred to me to censor any of it.

This just shows how removed many are from the natural world surrounding us. :sad:

DH grew up in a major metropolitan area and was at first unsure about how open I was when they saw the grasshoppers, birds, horses across the road, etc. etc. but has since commented at how natural and open our conversations have been because of that.

That said, we've always respected other's choices that way, and made sure to drill them when they were younger to handle that sort of thing appropriately when around other children.

Some time back when we were involved in a more suburban homeschool group, a young boy shared such information in "show-and-tell" and it caused quite a stir in the group. My child that was in that class wondered why he would share something so very "obvious."

The trigger was his brother's birth. We didn't look at anything online, and he didn't ask about gay sex for another three years, but otherwise that's how it went. He doesn't seem to be too damaged by it.....

Laura

I agree that's it's a good prelude to how humans do it. I think if they're young enough it will go over their heads, and if they're old enough to ask questions, then it's a great starter.

We've told ours that they're not to discuss it with others, it's private talk for us and them. They are very free and ds11 will say stuff like" I think these two flies were mating when I killed them. (with a fly swatter):001_smile:

That's the way we want it.

I object if it is presented in a frightening way. I watched one on lions and they got into detail about the barbed organ of the male and the excruciating pain of the female. I felt it was not appropriate at that time for my kids.