Menu

do churches do free VBS anymore?

Ours is 30 per kid for the week. It's 3 hours a day. I asked for a discount so I could send my kids- 4 of them- and they refused. My husband recently lost his job, and I can't drop that much on one week of activity! I could barely finish paying for their religious ed classes that just ended. We're Catholic BTW.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our church is too small to have a VBS. 60 adults, DD was the ONLY child for a long time. We are now up to 3-8 kids, most attending with their grandparents.

(One week, when I taught the lesson, a sweet little girl crawled up in my lap and asked me, So what makes Jesus so special?...lesson plan changed on the spot.)

DD went to VBS at my parent's church. DH volunteered and helped out the entire week. They charged for t-shirts, but we didn't buy one.

I was a VBS hopper as a child. We had fun.

DD may go to one other VBS this summer with a friend. I'll probably help her mom teach their class.

VBS here is free. Big churches seem to all have VBS the same week. There are more evening VBS than daytime ones.

Our church charges $10/person. That includes a t-shirt. We charge only to cover some of the costs. We couldn't put it on if we didn't and it's an important ministry for us. VBS-hopping is very popular here but we don't mind. The more we get to share with the kids, the better. We actually ask to the kids to invite friends (at no charge, of course) and challenge them to get to a certain number each year by the end of the week. If they invite enough friends, my dh (who has been the main character since we moved here) gets a pie in the face or something similar.

VBS = Vacation Bible School

Our church charges about $40/kid for 5 days (half-days), another church charges $20/kid. I haven't heard of any churches around here offering free or super-cheap VBS options. We're pretty broke right now, so can't send the girls. Bummer, because I have fond memories of VBS when I was a kid in the 70s.

Anyway (getting back on track), all this got me thinking...

Is free VBS a thing of the past or is charging unique to my area?

WOW, seriously, they charge kids to attend VBS? I've NEVER heard of such a thing. WOW! You can buy a t-shirt and little junk from the VBS store but charged to attend, NO WAY! How is that ministering to the community?????

I really can't believe they would charge the volunteers!!!

One thing a lot of churches here have done is make the shirts and cd's optional and priced at $10 or so each. I think this is a great way to do it. You can support the ministry if you are able.

I loved the cheap homemade VBS camps I attended as a child. We always had delicious homemade snacks, interesting eccentric crafts, entertaining storytellers. We learned well known classic songs (often hymns) that had great melodies.

It seems everyone buys the "box" curriculums anymore. I think they are fun for the kids, but they tend to try too hard to be "trendy" and tend to be very "marshmallow fluffy" in content. I understand doing boxed curriculum makes the volunteer's jobs easier, but I miss the old fashioned kind I had as a kid.

Ours is 30 per kid for the week. It's 3 hours a day. I asked for a discount so I could send my kids- 4 of them- and they refused. My husband recently lost his job, and I can't drop that much on one week of activity! I could barely finish paying for their religious ed classes that just ended. We're Catholic BTW.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. That's terrible.

All the churches charge around here. I don't know of a single VBS in town that is free. I'm actually surprised to hear it is free someplaces!! There is a range of prices though from $10-$30 and most if not all of them offer scholarships if a need is mentioned.

Ours is still free (and I don't see that changing any time soon). We're in the throes of it this week!

I haven't come across one anywhere that wasn't free--if I hadn't seen it here last year I wouldn't have known some churches charge. One church in the area did offer themed t-shirts for $10, but it was totally optional. I would have been surprised if they were handing out free t-shirts.

We participated in a free VBS last week at a church right down the road to us - that we don't even attend! (Our church does not do VBS). The kids had a really great time. I would not have been able to take them if it required much money.

ETA: They also gave us a free cd of the VBS songs. That was really nice b/c my kids just loved the music.

Edited by JessReplanted

Ours is still free (and I don't see that changing any time soon). We're in the throes of it this week!

I haven't come across one anywhere that wasn't free--if I hadn't seen it here last year I wouldn't have known some churches charge. One church in the area did offer themed t-shirts for $10, but it was totally optional. I would have been surprised if they were handing out free t-shirts.

Ours is free with shirts optional but available for purchase in advance if anyone wants one. I had never heard of anyone charging for VBS before this thread.

Also, I don't get the feeling that it's an outreach. I heard about it through the church bulletin. That's it. No other advertising as far as I can tell. So, I don't think it's an outreach so much as a special event for kids who already attend here.

I was just going to say that our church doesn't do some huge advertising campaign either, but it is still definitely considered outreach. There is a big push for the children to bring as many friends as possible. They continue encouraging that throughout the week. Last night was our kick-off, and the message is definitely to grab your buddies and tell them how much fun VBS is, and to bring them.

My cousin is a youth minister and we have attended his church for VBS as well. There is that same push, encouraging the children to bring their friends. Both churches have something outside that shows that VBS is happening (sign in front of the church with times, etc), and my cousin's church places a sign out on the main road, also.

Btw, both churches are Southern Baptist and free. My children also attended a Presbyterian VBS that was free, and they even included the CD. Our church usually does provide a t-shirt, and it is free. We did attend one SB VBS that charged for the t-shirt, if you wanted it, but was otherwise free.

Ours is not some huge over-the-top production, but they do have the video presentation, that continues over the 5 nights. The kids rotate to PE, Arts and Crafts, Music, Snack station, and their own classroom, after first meeting in the sanctuary for the video presentation, singing, etc. Oh, and the church provides dinner for the volunteers. All of this comes out of the budget.

:grouphug: I'm sorry. That's terrible.

All the churches charge around here. I don't know of a single VBS in town that is free. I'm actually surprised to hear it is free someplaces!! There is a range of prices though from $10-$30 and most if not all of them offer scholarships if a need is mentioned.

Thanks. I always figured they charged because we're within a suburb range of Chicago and it seems like everything going on has some sort of fee that wouldn't have been requested where we lived in Central or Southern Illinois.

I bet there's a few churches around here that are free though. I know a Faith Baptist Church had people come to the door once offering free Sunday school with free transportation. I bet they have a free VBS, but would obviously be quite different from Catholicism.

(My sister and I went to a free/low cost Trinity Christian Church VBS growing up and we were raised RC. It was basically crafts, singing happy songs, etc.)

Why does VBS have to be about getting more people to your church? Several people have mentioned that it seems un-Christian and not very community oriented. Maybe bringing the community to the church isnt the focus of VBS for everyone.

Our church charges $25 per child. I have no idea if they have a sliding fee, but I would imagine that they do offer one. VBS occurs from 9-12 and preschool through second grade run as you would expect. The children in grades three through five spend the morning in the community doing service projects. (anyone in grades five through twelve that wants to help, is assigned a group)

Each child receives a CD of songs, a t-shirt, and snacks.

My parents belong to a church that offer a free VBS. It is a wonderful program, done in the evening. You buy the t-shirt for a love offering, and they give you a CD of the songs. (it is always an illegal copy!)

Their church involves 50-60 children, where ours has 300, which is a lot smaller than some of the big Baptist churches. We require extra insurance for our activities, gas for a couple of buses, and legal drivers.

Our church asks for $10.00 per child to help cover the cost of craft supplies, etc. I am pretty confident that if a family could not pay that would be waived . . .

We did participate in a different VBS last year that took place at a horse camp and involved riding the horses. I think that cost $40 or $45 per child. My parents treated the children to that camp . . . I figured they asked that much since the camp involved the horses . . .

Free here but a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle (no teens, no cousins) must check the child in because we heard through the "grapevine" that a daycare six miles north was planning on bringing all 23 of their charges to VBS so the staff could have a break. UGH! The new rule will keep that from happening.

Faith

another one who has never heard of a church charging for VBS...... :iagree:

Some churches charge. Some don't. I have never seen a charge for Vacation Bible School at a church I'd be willing to send my kid to that was outrageous.

Most churches will waive the fees for regular attenders if you just ask and/or they have family maximums for larger families.

Our experience has been that people take things more seriously when they have to pay for them so it is possible this is part of what is behind it.

I've never heard of churches charging for VBS. Our church does it at homes of parishioners (about 20 sites) and encourages advertising for neighborhood children to attend. Each child gets a free t-shirt and CD of the songs, which I believe is built in to the church budget for outreach. Volunteers from the church provide the man-hours, craft supplies and a couple thousand icepops!

Since we are military and move, I have seen both. NOne have been outrageous, IMO. Our church here does not charge. THe churches in Florida where we lived before did, In Europe, the base chapels didn't charge. In NM, I am not really remembering well. I know one church did charge for a sports camp/VBS in CA but it was about 40 dollars and she was definitely doing sports too. My youngest is not that happy that she couldn't help with VBS this year but we are moving and it was just too much.

Many churches, certainly in our area of Colorado, buy pre-packaged VBS materials from Group. These are expensive and the kids get their t-shirts, CD of the songs, and craft stuff as well as snacks....so I think free VBS is a thing of the past. I don't see any churches here doing something on their own - they all "purchase" materials. I suppose if a church were doing their own thing, it would be free, but that is not the trend here.

I must be living in the wrong area - can't believe so many other places still have free VBS!

Melody

Edited by ColoNative
added info.

Our Church (Baptist) still offers free VBS for 1 week each summer, in the morning from 9-12. They get over 300 kids. They even offer free transportation for the kids that need it. It really is a tremendous undertaking, but also a very important outreach to the community.

They used to also offer a choir camp in the afternoons during VBS week. They charged $40 per child. Now it isn't choir camp anymore, just fun stuff for the kids to do but they still charge $40 per child.

We live in the Bible Belt and there are tons of churches that do VBS. I have not heard of any that are not free.

Susan in TX

My old church did the boxed things, but it was always (and still is) free. Yes, it was an outreach thing. Not to get people to come to church there, but to teach kids about Jesus. I know it's a huge part of their budget, but it's something they feel is worth it.

Many churches, certainly in our area of Colorado, buy pre-packaged VBS materials from Group. These are expensive and the kids get their t-shirts, CD of the songs, and craft stuff as well as snacks....so I think free VBS is a thing of the past. I don't see any churches here doing something on their own - they all "purchase" materials. I suppose if a church were doing their own thing, it would be free, but that is not the trend here.

I must be living in the wrong area - can't believe so many other places still have free VBS!

Melody

Our church buys pre-packaged materials but it comes out of the Children's Ministry budget. The children are not charged. They do make requests for donations of materials for odd ball items that are needed. In addition to there still being no cost to the child, they get dinner prior to the start of the activities. Dinner is at no cost either. The various SS classes take turns supplying it.

Free here too. Some churches sell t-shirts to help cover cost - but completely optional.

So many VBS have become more about entertainment, excitement, and less about scripture study and verse memorization, etc. As they get bigger and decorate more... the cost have gone through the roof. I guess some are passing along the expenses (but as someone posted already, they should call it a day camp).

Another thing some do is provide good food (not only cookies & koolaid).. this may result in a need to ask for help (but shouldn't it be voluntary if it is outreach & called VBS?).

Insurance could be an issue. We always took kids swiming and insurance went up & up... so we had to restrict the activity b/c it was getting to much. Maybe that is even a cost that is being passed on?

I think some may use fees as a way to discourage "too many" from participation. They may get huge numbers who come but simply do not have the capacity or facilities??? Maybe???:confused:

No church should charge for outreach. Cut expenses.. but don't charge.

Our church is doing their VBS this week. It is free with the option of buying a t-shirt. They quit giving free t-shirts when tithing dropped way down and cuts were having to be made.

They also offer a day camp all summer for 2nd or 3rd through 7th grade, which they charge for, but they are paying all the workers for that.

I personally haven't come across any churches locally that charge for VBS.

Melody

Same here!! Our church charged 30/child and I told my children "no".

Pastor asked if it was a money thing and I said "sort of".

The VBS was from 6-8pm, had sugary snacks, cost a lot and uses Group curriculum (which I dislike a lot).

I saw no reason to pay for the privilage of working around dinner (and my down time) to have hyped up children come home every night after listening to a curriculum that we call "God candy"

We are looking into another church that charges 25/family for 9-noon, diff curric---much better!

Lara

VBS seems to have turned into "summer day camp" in many places. It should be a free ministry in my opinion:iagree:

In our community the local christian radio station keeps a list of all VBS programs throughout the summer, very helpful!

All the ones I have looked into in my new area are charging. My kids don't get to go because of that either :( The closest one is $35/child for the week. My twins' sister is visiting so that would be over $100 for 5 half days. Yeah I really cannot afford that!

Melody

Our church uses the Group materials too - but only the songs, videos and a few decorations. We get materials for crafts from Oriental Trading Company. We provide snacks too (today was pretzels and grapes), but we still cover all the costs, since we see this an an important outreach opportunity. We are a fairly small church and we maxed out our capacity at 200 kids. We had to turn kids away, to other churches, which do charge. I do think some other churches in our area do free VBS, but most charge about $30.