Menu

No.

Our dentist and doctor both asked on their initial paperwork, and I said we don't give that out. The dentist receptionist was worried the insurance wouldn't go through without, but I told her just call me if that happens and I'll deal with it (but it went through fine). The doctor receptionist had no problem leaving it blank.

I've never been asked for my dc ss#s. They just had eye exams a few weeks ago, and no one asked much.

I don't know - a social security number is a pretty private thing, especially these days. I'm careful who gets mine, and I'm not sure I would give my kids' out for something like an eye exam, either.

I have refused each time. Most times, it's been a non issue but a couple of those times, I've had to be pretty firm.

Like you, I understand (kinda :glare:;)) the need for the primary holder's info. I don't believe there to be a need for anyone else's.

When I was a child (which was not too long ago since I'm only in my early twenties now), my parents just refused to give my SSN on the regular forms they would fill out at the doctor's office. They were always really strict about not giving out my SSN unless it was absolutely necessary and not having it float around on unnecessary paperwork. Is there some sort of membership services number you can call to find out the true policy on this? At least for my parents' health insurance they would ask for the SSN but you could simply refuse to give it to them. The policy was that a member was free to refuse to give the SSN of their child; the child would still get medical care.

Nope. Everyone asks for theirs and/or mine, and I have never given any doctor's office or hospital any of our SSNs. It has never been a problem--no one has ever even questioned it. I have never put my children's SSNs on anything other than my tax returns.

On a related topic, I have started using my passport any time I need a picture ID at a doctor's office or anywhere else: it has nothing on it but my name and date of birth. It has less information than my driver's license, so I feel more comfortable having photocopies of it lying about in unsecure doctor's offices.

I refuse to answer anything that I feel is unnecessary. When the optometrist or church wants to know what I do for a living, or whether my children are biological or adopted, or anything else that has nothing to do with the reason I am there, I leave it blank or, if I am feeling cheeky, which is often these days, I write in, "Irrelevant."

Terri

I have refused many times without issue. Usually the staff is insistent, and I tell them I will be happy to discuss it with the doctor. Doctor never asks.

Since my kids are not financially responsible for the bill, it is just unreasonable for a doctor's office to have it.

No...I just don't give ours out by filling out the forms and leaving the social blank; it isn't required.

Maybe this is the norm now, but this really rubbed me the wrong way. I called to make an appointment for my ds to have an eye exam and VT screening at the City Eye College. When I scheduled the appt, the receptionist asked for my *ds's* social security number. I was sort of surprised and responded that I had no idea what it was. She said ok, but be sure and bring that when you come to fill out paperwork.

Why on earth would an eye doctor need my son's SSN? :confused: We are not on any sort of public insurance/Medicare. I understand (and would readily give up) needing my dh's SSN, as he is the primary name on our private health insurance. But my 10yo's ??? No, I don't think so. I'm sure they have excellent security (!), but well .... identity theft is too big of a threat IMHO to trade off for vision screenings.

I am going to call back today and see if they will refuse services if I will not give this information. Am I overreacting? WWYD?

I always leave it blank as well unless someone keeps asking for it over and over. Otherwise I then have to carry their numbers or remember their numbers because that is how they are known. I want their cards in the safe, not in my possession. I also don't want it on their records unless they are absolutely necessary.

I don't give out my kids' SS numbers. I just leave it blank and have never had a problem. I won't give out mine either but I will give DH's because he's military and it is used for everything. I thought it was illegal to require a SS number for anything except for official gvmt purposes.

I gave it out when doing registration at a hospital for a doctor's appt but then called back and told them I didn't want to have it on file. I think they were just using it as an ID number or something. Anyway I spoke to some lady and they worked out for me to have a substitute number (basically the same internal hospital ID number I already had + a digit). The lady I spoke with told me she thought this was a great idea and she had done the same thing with hers. Anyway, now, several years later, I've never been asked for my kids' SS# and I think they've switched to a different system, like the one I asked for.

There are spots on my kids' pediatricians' forms for it, but the office staff has assured me that they don't need it.

So in answer to your question - I'd try to skip it.

The Social Security Administration protects your Social Security number and keeps your records confidential. We do not give your number to anyone, except when authorized by law. You should be careful about sharing your number, even when you are asked for it. You should ask why your number is needed, how it will be used and what will happen if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give out your Social Security number.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12137393/ns/business-consumer_news/t/who-can-ask-your-social-security-number/

Yes, if it were a deal-breaker. My child's eyesight is more important than the perceived feeling of security I might get by not giving out information. Really, folks, it's all out there for the getting.

1. It is not a deal-breaker, as I think is clear from the dozens of posters who have refused to give out this information and still have children whose medical needs have been met satisfactorily.

2. And no, their SSNs are not "out there for the getting," precisely because we do not play fast and loose with their SSNs and hand them out to anyone who asks.

Terri

All of my dds doctors have requested it on the paperwork but I've always left it off. They've never questioned me about it or asked for it later. Maybe we've just been lucky?

This is our experience as well. It's not luck, though. It's the law.

WOW! We are always asked, I always refuse - and they just assign a patient ID number. Wonder if the laws are different in various states. Like you, I'm concerned about the tech/ID security of a Doctor's office system. Sorry.

IMO, this is how it should be handled. I think in the "old days" it was an easy, cool way to identify people. But today with identity theft being such a real thing, these medical offices are nuts to ask for this sensitive information. Just because they don't want to issue an ID number is no reason for them to have this info.

I never give it. I don't make a deal out of it. I just leave it blank.

Alley

Like you, I understand (kinda :glare:;)) the need for the primary holder's info. I don't believe there to be a need for anyone else's.

Nope, they don't need the primary holder's SSN, either. The ins. co has assigned a policy number, group number & ID number for this purpose. The ins. industry had to make this transition back in the day when I was working medical reimbursement.

Now, they will tell you they do, but they really don't. Just tell them to call you if they have any problems with the claim. Then you call the ins. company and check out what the problem is - it won't have anything to do with the SSN.

I'd like to know why they ask for them. Does anyone know?

They used to use them for patient ID numbers, but that changed years ago & they shouldn't be doing that anymore.

Now they ask for them so they can find you if you skip out on the bill. It also helps them put a comment on your credit report. It's all about bill collection.

Edited by TechWife

Nope, they don't need the primary holder's SSN, either. The ins. co has assigned a policy number, group number & ID number for this purpose. The ins. industry had to make this transition back in the day when I was working medical reimbursement.

Now, they will tell you they do, but they really don't. Just tell them to call you if they have any problems with the claim. Then you call the ins. company and check out what the problem is - it won't have anything to do with the SSN.

I think ours is a bit different, because we're military, everything is linked to my dh's SSN. We have to have it, and give it out, that is our Policy number and ID number. If we don't give that out we don't get service period.

As to the original question, I've been asked for it for my kids and never have a problem giving it out. I have a different view on security than others, I look at it as, If someone really wants to steal something they will no matter what I do, I just make sure I'm vigilant in keeping an eye on our accounts etc.

1. It is not a deal-breaker, as I think is clear from the dozens of posters who have refused to give out this information and still have children whose medical needs have been met satisfactorily.

I said "if" it were a deal-breaker, right?

2. And no, their SSNs are not "out there for the getting," precisely because we do not play fast and loose with their SSNs and hand them out to anyone who asks.

Neither did my husband when his "identity" was stolen. Can you say "hacker"?

You're free to do or not do as you please. I just don't have any false sense of security due to not giving out info. It can be had.

Edited by Mejane

All of my dds doctors have requested it on the paperwork but I've always left it off. They've never questioned me about it or asked for it later. Maybe we've just been lucky?

Same here. I don't know those numbers, only see them once a year when I do our taxes, and never remember to call back. It's never been a problem.

They used to use them for patient ID numbers, but that changed years ago & they shouldn't be doing that anymore.

Yes, there is a law that they can't use the SSN for identification numbers.

Now they ask for them so they can find you if you skip out on the bill. It also helps them put a comment on your credit report. It's all about bill collection.

So it will go on the credit report of a minor child? The child is not the responsible party. You don't need an SSN to put something on a credit report. But it is helpful to make sure it goes to the right person, not that anyone really cares if they are accurate. :tongue_smilie:

If you want the doctors office to file your insurnace, you will be required to provide your SSN. The insurance company will not pay the dr. without it. Sorry.

Really?:confused:

I've never put my kids' ssn on a medical form and we've never, ever had a single problem with our claims being filed or paid.:confused:

If you want the doctors office to file your insurnace, you will be required to provide your SSN. The insurance company will not pay the dr. without it. Sorry.

I think you are confusing the parent's SSN with the child's SSN. I have never - with six kids and boatloads of medical bills - provided my kids' SSN numbers. It is the primary insured's number - the parent - that they want.

Our insurance finally switched a year ago to new ID numbers that are not the insured's SSN.

LOL, I haven't the slightest idea what my kids' numbers are, and only a vague recollection of where they are in the house. Our accountant is the only person who has them.

My insurance company has been paying for years.

Doctor's offices always request this and I always refuse. My insurance company is a pain, but they've never denied because of this. I tell them that I have a problem with information security and never provide SSNs. I'd switch to a different heath care provider before giving out that information.

I also never fill out any additional information on forms. My dentist needs to know I have asthma; he doesn't need to know how many children I've had. :)

My insurance company has never denied a bill and they do not have my children's numbers.

Maybe they require the number of the primary subscriber? In our case that would be my husband, and they probably have his.

They ask for insurance reasons. You'd be shocked at the insurance fraud that goes on. Last year, my employer fired a number of employees who had fraudulent dependents listed on their insurance. Now, to put anyone on our insurance, you have to have a SSN and they will periodically audit.

Anyway, if you're upset by them asking for it, ask them why they need it. It might be certain insurances require it to pay claims. If your insurance doesn't require that, then don't give it if it makes you uncomfortable.