Menu

New to homeschooling and facing criticism :(

My oldest son is just finishing up his 3rd grade year in public school. He is very bright and motivated. I have always wanted to instruct him at home, but until now, circumstances would not allow. I'm unhappy with many of the things he is learning from teachers and peers. I am a single mom with another son who is 4. I am a student as well- majoring in Elementary Education. I work part time for my family and I am able to keep flexible hours to take care of my boys. I've made the announcement to everyone that I intend to school my oldest boy at home next year and I'd say half of the people I've told (mostly family) have been very supportive and excited for us :)

But..... As you all know- there are negative and intrusive comments as well. How can I go about letting them know that the decision has been made for our family, and I don't want their opinions that they claim are based on "research?" I should note that these individuls also hold degrees in education and work in the ps system. I don't want to be rude, but I also want to nip the unsolicited advice in the bud. Thanks in advance for any advice :) We are so excited to start our learning adventure!

As you all know- there are negative and intrusive comments as well. How can I go about letting them know that the decision has been made for our family, and I don't want their opinions that they claim are based on "research?" I should note that these individuls also hold degrees in education and work in the ps system. I don't want to be rude, but I also want to nip the unsolicited advice in the bud. Thanks in advance for any advice :) We are so excited to start our learning adventure!

Be rude if need be. He is your child and if you want to hs him so be it.

It's a bit tough to learn but after a few years of homeschooling you'll realize two things.

1) Their opinions don't matter.

2) The only thing that ever has a chance of changing their mind is simply seeing a homeschooler in action over the course of a few years. Any other effort is useless.

Boy can I empathize since the same thing happened to me Saturday night. A good friend (former PS teacher in both Ohio & GA) was in Atlanta for a wedding. We got together for dinner & it was great to catch-up. Another couple (who we did not know but both are PS teachers in our county) joined us as well. During dinner, I told my friend that we are pulling our kids from their private school and are going to HS our 2 kids next year. She was very vocal in her shock and dismay. She thought we were absolutely crazy! Why not put them in PS? Uhhh, little awkward with 2 PS teachers sitting right at the table. I am not going to slam the system in front of them. My response was that the PS is not a good fit for us. Friend then asks what school we are zoned for and I tell her. She turns to the PS teacher and asks if it is a good school. "Oh yes!" was the response. Even more AWKWARD!!!! I just kept repeating that it wasn't a good fit. I didn't think it was the time or place to delineate all of my issues with the PS system. Now I am wondering if I should follow-up with my friend and remind her of all of her complaints about being a GA PS teacher? I think I am just going to let it go. It is our decision, she doesn't have to like it. If she is a real friend, she will support us even if she thinks we are nuts. I must admit, I genuinely prefer the supportive folks to those who think I am insane. I have enough concerns & insecurities about our decision to HS without people contributing to my fears.

2) The only thing that ever has a chance of changing their mind is simply seeing a homeschooler in action over the course of a few years. Any other effort is useless.

:iagree: Yep - that's it.

I've lived here 5 years now, and let me tell you - lot's of converts. They aren't homeschooling, but I am complimented now, and they agree I have given an excellent education to my kids (who are also well adjusted - I hate the therm "socialization".

DH and I both have careers in the PS system. We actually were really quiet about our decision and once the cat was out of the bag - probably in oct this last year, all of our PS contacts were really supportive. I wonder if it is because we were already homeschooling and it did not seem like there was anywhere for them to argue the decision.

Most teachers will freely admit that the school system everywhere needs a major overhaul.

Really, if your family is supportive, that is awesome. Stand in your decision because this is your family. And have the time of your life too! Honestly, I find it is great practice for learning about education - actually teaching your child to read - you will learn how to teach that better than from a textbook.

Awww, Sue beat me to it! ;)

Yep, just smile and say, "Pass the bean dip!" :D

My sister was my most vocal naysayer about us homeschooling. DH's and my parents were cautiously supportive. One of my friends was shocked and said she would NEVER homeschool!

Well, our parents became vocal supporters and my friend started homeschooling just 3 months later! :D My sister? Well, when her youngest was starting her junior year in high school, they moved. My niece went to the high school there for 2 days, then said she didn't want to go there again and wanted to homeschool her last two years! By then my sister had seen how well my kids were doing, and decided it was fine for her dd to homeschool. They found a program, and my niece excelled, finishing her last 2 years in about 10 months.

So, you just never know! :001_smile: Don't let it get to you. Choose to spend more time with those who are supportive, and pass the bean dip with those who try to negate what you're doing!

:grouphug: You've got support here! Hang in there! :grouphug:

Ditto what everyone else says. Just let it go. If anyone brings up the subject tell them neither of you will convince the other and there is no point in arguing. You're the mom. You make the decisions. Pass the bean dip!!

Honestly, education classes in college were definitely one of the reasons I wanted to homeschool. I saw what our public schools were like. But you just can't expect everyone to jump on your bandwagon. My ex-husband and his wife, both ps teachers, were FREAKED when I started homeschooling my youngest 2. They were deathly afraid I'd homeschool my oldest. Eventually I did too. And they've never forgiven me for it. They refuse to see what a wonderful, responsible young adult she is (she is now 19). She used to care about what they thought but after they've harrassed her so much, she just doesn't really care anymore. She has learned to pass the bean dip. :)

Put on your Xena Warrior Princess armor and ignore them all. Refuse to discuss it, not even to say that it is a choice your family made. It doesn't matter what they think, and they don't really care why you made the decision to homeschool. You don't have to be rude or anything; you can just refuse to discuss it. "We homeschool because we like it. So, how about those Packers?" (or whatever sport or team is popular where you live).

Do what's best for your family. You'll convert some people over time, but others will remain negative. The nay-sayers are entitled to their opinions, but you can choose to ignore them or change the subject (bean dip), just like you would with any other "controversial" subject (who would think that a mom educating her child at home would be so controversial?!). I'm glad you do have some supportive voices; that helps a lot.

We're just across the border from you in Spokane. Welcome to homeschooling!

What helped for me: to say, "Well, I think we're going to give it a try for one year. Let's see how it goes."

Over the course of the year I would update on things we were doing that were fun and educational. Family etc were very impressed. Also impressed by DS's results on his yearly achievement test, which I was careful to brag about.

The good thing about this approach, is that you can change your mind. For us, we have decided that DS will be going to PS next year-- a lot of effort went into this decision, and I am really at peace with it, because it is really what is best for our family-- so nobody can say "I told you so! I told you HS would not work out!" because it clearly DID work out, yet we are free to make our own choices about what is BEST for OUR family THIS year. That's all you can do!

When they play the research card you can always respond with, "There's so much research on homeschooling success, email me and I'll send you the links or you can just go to HSLDA yourself and read through all the research pages of all the studies over the years."

That usually shuts them up. If they really care about research they can enlighten themselves on their own time. They probably don't give a rat's rear about research so they'll probably change the subject on their own. If they don't then you can.

Thank you all for your encouraging words! Ive been praying about this and everyday I've been shown in one way or another that this IS the right thing to do. I was admitted into the hospital on Wednesday night with a pulmonary embolism and nearly died. I am an overall healthy person- this was just a freak incident. So many things went through my mind (as I imagine happens to anyone fearing the end) and it occurred to me' that I'm not done being with my boys. I'm going to teach them at home, and spend more time with them. I'm convinced my illness- which I am recovering from was just another "sign" that I'm to be with my kids :) Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I'm so glad this forum is here!

Thank you all for your encouraging words! Ive been praying about this and everyday I've been shown in one way or another that this IS the right thing to do. I was admitted into the hospital on Wednesday night with a pulmonary embolism and nearly died. I am an overall healthy person- this was just a freak incident. So many things went through my mind (as I imagine happens to anyone fearing the end) and it occurred to me' that I'm not done being with my boys. I'm going to teach them at home, and spend more time with them. I'm convinced my illness- which I am recovering from was just another "sign" that I'm to be with my kids :) Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I'm so glad this forum is here!

Wow! Thank goodness you are ok! I am excited for you to begin your homeschooling journey :grouphug:

It's a bit tough to learn but after a few years of homeschooling you'll realize two things.

1) Their opinions don't matter.

:iagree:

It also helps to say that "hsing is the best choice for our family" implying that they can make a different decision or have a different opinion.

But, don't bring it up....silence is a great option!:001_smile:

But, don't bring it up....silence is a great option!:001_smile:

:iagree:

I no longer tell other people that we homeschool...even family members (who don't already know, that is). If it comes up in conversation, it comes up. Otherwise, I don't mention it or tell anyone. It really isn't any one else's business, and when you bring it up, it automatically invites "feedback". (Obviously, there are a few people you have to tell, but I would leave it to your parents and your closest friends.) And when you do mention it, *pass the bean dip*. It really works.

My oldest son is just finishing up his 3rd grade year in public school. He is very bright and motivated. I have always wanted to instruct him at home, but until now, circumstances would not allow. I'm unhappy with many of the things he is learning from teachers and peers. I am a single mom with another son who is 4. I am a student as well- majoring in Elementary Education. I work part time for my family and I am able to keep flexible hours to take care of my boys. I've made the announcement to everyone that I intend to school my oldest boy at home next year and I'd say half of the people I've told (mostly family) have been very supportive and excited for us :)

But..... As you all know- there are negative and intrusive comments as well. How can I go about letting them know that the decision has been made for our family, and I don't want their opinions that they claim are based on "research?" I should note that these individuls also hold degrees in education and work in the ps system. I don't want to be rude, but I also want to nip the unsolicited advice in the bud. Thanks in advance for any advice :) We are so excited to start our learning adventure!

Don't do the bolded anymore anymore :001_smile:. I'm a very private person to begin with, but I simply don't discuss decisions I've made for my family with, well, anyone. We just quietly go about our business and when we're asked where our children attend school, we just respond that they're homeschooled. If the "why" question comes up, I respond that it works well for our family. I don't volunteer any additional information. Short, direct answers are the way to go.

Yikes! Glad you're OK.

Welcome lovemyblessings :grouphug: Making the decision to homeschool is yet another parenting decision that people feel the need to challenge. I think when it comes to children people are heavily invested in their opinions and take it as an insult when other choose to do it a "different way".

I agree with the posters, just stop announcing it. If you are directly asked then answer with it is the best for us right now.

Relax, pretty soon you will be defending your curriculum choices and schedule. :lol: Hang on it is a great ride!!

• 2 years later...

I have not read all the responses so forgive me if this was covered.

JoAnne developed "Pass the Bean Dip" many years ago.  I saved a copy and have shared it many time.  Here it is again:

Bean Dip for Homeschoolers by JoAnne

I've been passing around bean dip on the net for a few years. It was originally written for attachment parenting and alternative medical choice. I've revised it for homeschoolers who are facing varying levels of hostility towards their choices.

As an interesting related note, I find it telling that the spell check on my AOL email does not recognize "breastfeeding" or "homeschooling". That fact, in and of itself, is why bean dip is so needed. :)

Bean Dip:

I wanted to offer my "bean dip strategy" for homeschooling.

It's something I've learned in my years of parenting using alternative ideas. The specifics may change, but the principal doesn't. When setting boundaries, people (often moms) typically confuse setting the boundary with trying to convince the other person about how right they are in needing to set the boundary.

In setting boundaries, we don't need to convince the other person we are right and they don't have to agree about the boundary. We just need to be prepared to enforce the boundary, at any cost, using progressively more firm responses (if need be).

Here is an example:

I've found new moms often confuse boundaries and trying to convince someone of the *rightness* of their choices. They will send articles, links, books, cite statistics. All of these things send the message: this is up for debate and discussion, I may be swayed by you.

The best thing is to assert your boundary and *not* try to defend your choice. No books, articles, links, etc. If the person feels strongly enough *they* can initiate getting some information.

First, I learned early on that most of my choices were on a "need to know" basis. Most people don't "need to know."

Question: "What about socialization?" Answer: Got that covered, thanks! Want some bean dip?

Question:"They will need to function in the real world" Answer: "Yes! Thank you! Want some bean dip?"

"What about college?" Answer: "Yes, our children will be going. Thanks! Want some bean dip?"

Now, with some people you will need to set *firm* boundaries. They will need to be backed up with action (like hanging up, leaving the room or even the event). If it's a pattern of intrusion, for example. Practice kind but firm responses:

"I know you love us and the children. We are so glad. Our education choices have been researched and made. I will not discuss it again"

Don't confuse setting boundaries with trying to convince someone of the rightness of your choices. New HSing moms often struggle with this. The boundary is that no one else has a right to tell you how to parent and create a hostile environment. You set boundaries by doing the above. New HSing parents often invite problems is by citing authors, studies and sites to "defend" themselves. Each time you do so, you create more time for discussion and rebuttal and send the message that your decisions are up for debate. Don't defend your choices beyond generalities, and then only once or twice. "We are quite comfortable with our choices. Want some bean dip?"

Finally, look them in the eye and say simply "I want us to have a good relationship. I want you to *enjoy* the children. I'll parent the child - you enjoy them. Let's not discuss this anymore. If you bring it up, I will leave the room."

One thing I want to add is to *carefully* chose who you vent/rant to about parenting issues. Homeschooling is like breastfeeding in a way. Normal struggles get blamed and dumped on homeschooling (like normal baby/adjustment issues get blamed on breastfeeding). People will attribute parenting issues to the fact of your homeschooling. The more aggressive/hostile ones will deliberately capitalize on the opportunity and will use your parenting challenge as a way to force their anti Homeschool agenda. So, be very selective who you talk to about the specifics on your life.

posted Thursday, 2 January 2003

There are 2. One is for alternative parenting, particularly in the early years:

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=1988.0

The other was re-written as early childhood issues ceased to be an issue for me and homeschooling emerged:

http://happyhomeschooler.blog-city.com/read/212600.htm

The Bean Dip response, in spite of its name, was not meant to be a casual, quick change of subject. The heart of The Bean Dip response is establishing firm boundaries and not setting oneself up for debate, discussion and dialog.

Changing the subject (the Bean Dip offer) comes after setting the boundary. And, prior to the need to set the boundary is our responsibility. Let's say you co sleep. Don't invite discussion by offering that info. Let's say you homeschool. Don't invite discussion by asserting that your well behaved, courteous kids are a result of homeschooling.

There *is* a time and place and people with whom to have great, provocative discussions on these topics. The Bean Dip response was formulated for difficult family members, intrusive neighbors, casual church acquaintances and others with whom you feel discussion would be dangerous, fruitless, irritating, difficult or inappropriate.

You "Bean Dip" people when you assert yourself as the expert on your children and actively define your role in their lives and limit the role of other people. You "Bean Dip" when you are confronted with provocative topics ("What about socialization"?) and instead of defending with a long list of extracurriculars or a radical discourse on the inappropriateness of the school social hierarchy, you say "Yes, socialization is something we work on."

When you defend, you communicate that the topic is up for discussion or debate. For boundary less or boundary challenged people that giving them power to try to change your mind. With the boundary challenged, you don't want to give them the impression of that power. Dean Dipping them isn't about a fluffy change of subject, but about a firm deflection.

The final stage of Bean Dip includes a direct, firm and forceful message to BUTT OUT.

Anyway, maybe because I have such defined boundaries, the above doesn't come through correctly in my Bean Dip writings. I've read some things here lately that compelled me to post and clarify.  

I have passed the bean dip many times.  HTH.

Melissa

ETA:  Posted to wrong thread.  Sorry

But..... As you all know- there are negative and intrusive comments as well. How can I go about letting them know that the decision has been made for our family, and I don't want their opinions that they claim are based on "research?" I should note that these individuals also hold degrees in education and work in the ps system. I don't want to be rude, but I also want to nip the unsolicited advice in the bud. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

We are so excited to start our learning adventure!

It is not rude to look someone in the eyeball when they begin babbling about things of which they are clearly ignorant, and to stare at them until they run out of words and are aware that you haven't said anything, and then to say, "Yes. Thanks for sharing." And then you talk about something else completely unrelated. If they don't get it, then I give you permission to stop them in midsentence and tell them that you really don't want to discuss it with them, and then change the subject. Some people don't get the more subtle messages. :glare:

They already know that you have made the decision so there's no point in saying that. And really, there's no point in engaging in any kind of conversation with them. It is in their own best interests to point out the error of your ways, so of course they will bring up their own flawed, invented research. You don't have to listen.

Scarlett, don't worry about it. I learned quite a bit reading the responses. It would be interesting to get an update from LovemyBlessings.....she must have her degree by now, too.

The heart attack was probably not the age of the thread, but that particular much-loved poster that she quoted passed away last year after a brief illness. She was brilliant and we all miss her. 

It's funny, but it seems to me that teachers are either full-on against homeschooling on full-on for it -- and homeschool their own kids.

My .02 -- it very much upsets the person's applecart when you reject something like ps that they've given their life -- so to speak -- to. Their being against homeschooling doesn't really have to do w/ you. It's more that they're questioning themselves. Deep down.

I wish we lived in a world where many different kinds of learning were accepted as fine. Rather than this "one size fits all" thing.

Congratulations -- you're getting heat. That means you're a real homeschooler! (Like a real rabbit.)

Alley

In my experience, teacher-critics of homeschooling do so from a position of defense. They see: you're homeschooling, not school-schooling, because something is wrong with schools. And the teacher-critics I've come across are really dedicated teachers who give so much of themselves, that when they see eager, happy families opting out of the system, they see it as a negation of the effort they've put in at the public schools. 

A smaller group of teacher-critics wonder how you can replicate school at home: the group projects, the extracurriculars, other parts of school they see as part and parcel of education, which you may see as incidental or replaceable.

For the most part, I don't engage these critics. I'll answer direct questions ("do you use a curriculum" "socialization?"), but I don't try to sell them on my point of view, because I don't necessarily want them to sell me on theirs. I have one or two responses to the "why do you homeschool?" question: the kids have a closer relationship, my son has some special medical needs, it offers us the freedom to travel to visit family across the country.