Menu

What are some things that you've bought that ultimately save you money?

I've finally convinced DH that a clothesline is not tacky :001_rolleyes: I'm buying a retractable 40-foot line that he's happily installing for me when it gets here. I can't wait! :D I'm just hoping it doesn't exacerbate allergy issues.

What are some things you've invested in that have saved you money? :bigear:

We use cloth napkins. I found at a yard sale a remnant of some soft white t-shirt/jersey material that I cut up into 12" squares. They're stained and ragged now but we don't spend nearly the money we used to on napkins and paper towels. I also found a dozen or so nicer cloth napkins that were on clearance so we're not always using stained and ragged napkins :tongue_smilie:

On a side-note, I *wish* I could get dh on board with a clothesline. I had one before when he was gone to Afghanistan and loved it!!!

In our last home we installed a tankless water heater. Best investment ever. We saved so much money because of that. If we ever build again, we'll have one installed.

We also put in a fireplace insert. It was a very good one and could heat that house!:001_smile:

We are contemplating a Brac water system now. We have a huge rain water tank to water the garden, but we'd love to recycle grey water and use more rain water for the house.

I think the cloth napkins were a good choice. I buy them when I find them on clearance (otherwise, 4 for $10 is kind of crazy, imo), and then I buy as many as I can. I've found them for 4/$2.50 at Target and BBB and Linens 'N Things. We use them until they get too ugly, then I cut the corner off and use them as rags afterward - usually a few years. (I could get over myself a little bit more and use them as napkins longer than what I personally deem "ugly", so they could last as napkins longer)

I desperately want a fire place. Desperately.

Laser printer- we got it inexpensively, like ~$70 for a wireless one, and I got all our printer for free with the back to school sales last fall.

cloth diapers- spent around $300 for the set and am now using them on baby number 2.

drying line- it's in our attic, where the washer is, and cost about $4. I recuperated those losses after 10 loads, and I've used it for over 100 by now

cloth napkins- I made several out of some scrap fabric, and we haven't bought paper ones in over 2 years.

wash cloths- we used to buy sponges and scrub brushes for doing the dishes because we have no dishwasher. Now that I have a lot more wash cloths than I did, I can just use one a day for cleaning the dishes and don't have to worry about getting them gross.

iPod Touch- A weird one, I know, but because my husband has an iPod Touch, he has lost 60 lbs. He has a program on there that allows him to track his calories and activity. He would never have been so successful without it. It has saved us years of his life as well as years of medical issues that come from being as overweight as he was.

the internet- allows us to get all our entertainment inexpensively so we canceled our satellite, as well as being a necessary tool for my husband's studies.

Our bread-maker. Ds is allergic to wheat and I am gluten-intolerant, so making our own bread paid off pretty quickly.

Yes! The bread thing! The Artisan Bread in 5 was a good investment. Can't even calculate how much I've saved in this bread-a-holic household since we started doing it that way. And the bread machine - the focaccia from that thing is well worth the investment by itself!

And we got rid of cable and bought a Roku. Don't miss the $80 cable bill one little bit, and we watch better tv based on things that are actually interesting to us, and less of it overall. Nice.

I bought an electric razor to do their hair. My dh jumped into the line as well (it was a shorter wait than the barbershop). Ten years later I can't even estimate how many haircuts I've gotten out of that $30 razor. We also have one for the poodle, I can't even imagine what it would cost to have him groomed every 6-8 weeks.

Also, my air popper for popcorn. We used to do the microwave stuff. This tastes better and a whole jar of popcorn costs less than two microwave pkgs.

Low-flow shower heads, especially in the kids' bathroom!

I keep thinking we should do this, but all I can picture is that Seinfeld episode where they're all miserable with the new showerheads the building installed :lol: Do they work well? DH tried to install a newfangled toilet thing that saved water, and it just made us all have to flush twice :glare:

I keep thinking we should do this, but all I can picture is that Seinfeld episode where they're all miserable with the new showerheads the building installed :lol: Do they work well? DH tried to install a newfangled toilet thing that saved water, and it just made us all have to flush twice :glare:
:bigear: Curious about this too. Mejane, what brand did you buy?

Oh, and the "newfangled toilet thing" was just installed in my toilet and I'm seriously wondering how holding down the flusher for long enough to flush anything actually counts as saving water :confused:. My jury is out on the flusher.

I think the cloth napkins were a good choice. I buy them when I find them on clearance (otherwise, 4 for $10 is kind of crazy, imo), and then I buy as many as I can. I've found them for 4/$2.50 at Target and BBB and Linens 'N Things. We use them until they get too ugly, then I cut the corner off and use them as rags afterward - usually a few years. (I could get over myself a little bit more and use them as napkins longer than what I personally deem "ugly", so they could last as napkins longer)

I desperately want a fire place. Desperately.

I buy white cloth napkins from restaurant supply websites. Always white, so I can bleach them.

Having said that, I don't think disposable napkins are a budget buster.

Jo

And we got rid of cable and bought a Roku. Don't miss the $80 cable bill one little bit, and we watch better tv based on things that are actually interesting to us, and less of it overall. Nice.

Tell me about this Roku thing. DH has said when our dish contract is up, he's going to spend a lot, but then we won't have a cable. It will be something like Apple TV. I think he said we'll get local channels and we can stream but none of the cable channels - USA, SyFy, etc. Is this what you have?

Tell me about this Roku thing. DH has said when our dish contract is up, he's going to spend a lot, but then we won't have a cable. It will be something like Apple TV. I think he said we'll get local channels and we can stream but none of the cable channels - USA, SyFy, etc. Is this what you have?

I love love love our Roku! As far as I know, we don't get any channels through it (would be interested in hearing more about that!), but we have access to all the Netflix Instant Watch stuff, which includes a lot of seasons of a lot of TV shows. There are also other "channels," both free and for-pay, that you can subscribe to. Some are junk and some are interesting. We love Pandora through the Roku. We also subscribe to Hulu Plus through the Roku for $7.99 a month (DH insists, though I could easily live without it), and that gives us access to a lot of channels' content (DH watches Jersey Shore, Glee, Daily Show, SNL, and a bunch of other things). You don't get full channel access that way, but it's definitely enough to keep us happy.

a chest freezer.

A bike for dh to ride to work in the warm weather and a bus pass for the winter. We went down to one car.

A front loader washing machine. That thing uses very little water and spins those clothes so darn dry!

We saw our electricity bill drop when we switched over to those twisty bulbs.

A bunch of cloth diapers that we use for cleaning clothes. 10 years later, I still don't buy paper towels.

Cloth menstrual pads and a keeper. I haven't bought disposable in over 10 years.

Believe it or not, a new car. It is the first new car we have ever owned. Now, we bought it with money I inherited so it was free right? But, I cannot believe how easy life is with a good car! No big repair bills, no tow bills, I am not being nickle and dimed with stupid thing breaking. We have only ever owned very old cars. We are generally the last owner of any car and when we were done, it went to the junk yard. Now, I don't know how we did it. And when this one dies, because we will keep it as long as possible, we will have to go back to the crap cars. But, it has been nice while it lasted.

Internet instead of a cable bill.

Cloth diapers.

Planning meals and grocery shopping for non-perishables every two weeks; picking up perishables weekly. I am consistently saving 200.00-300.00 per month on groceries when I do this.

:thumbup: this is what I need to do. . . Good for you!!!!

A good quality pair of clippers. I cut the boys' hair and Dh's hair. I made up the price the day I bought it by giving both boys and Dh a hair cut that day. I've been using it a couple of years since so it has saved us hundreds.

I used to cut DD's hair, but I made the mistake of taking her to my stylist. He's awesome, and now she wants him to cut her hair too.

DH's tools, we DIY all our remodeling projects, house and car repairs so it saves us tons over hiring it out.

insulation. we rolled out more insulation in our attic and it dropped our heating bill from our first year living here.

Our new front and screen doors will help too (going in this spring, we can actually see outside through a gap at the bottom)

cloth diapers.

netflix...we don't have cable or go out to movies

doggy clippers to groom Elvis

I love the ideas I'm getting here. We've been considering a tankless water heater for a few months now. And I've *got* to invest in down comforters. Clotheslines aren't permitted in our subdivision--HOA rules. :glare: So the only thing I can think of that we've invested in is a library card for the library system in the next county. Our county library is terrible and we save a bundle not buying all the books and movies we're interested in.

I've finally convinced DH that a clothesline is not tacky :001_rolleyes: I'm buying a retractable 40-foot line that he's happily installing for me when it gets here. I can't wait! :D I'm just hoping it doesn't exacerbate allergy issues.

I just bought one of these a few months ago and put it up in my sunroom. We have allergy issues so I couldn't do a traditional outside line, but my sunroom is south facing and when the sun is shining and it gets warm in there (like today), the clothes get dry in about 4 hours. Not as fast as outside, but I'm okay with that. Then when we have company, like yesterday, I just retract the line and no one is the wiser.

Cloth menstrual pads and a keeper. I haven't bought disposable in over 10 years.

:iagree: 3 1/2 years later and I have saved a TON of money using my diva cup and cloth pads. And it is so much nicer than the traditional products.

Cheapy wash clothes for napkins. I bought a 12 pack for $4 and use them for every day napkins. I have a nice set of linen napkins for guests.

What are some things you've invested in that have saved you money? :bigear:

A wood-burning furnace to fuel our heat. Hands-down, that was brilliant! Our heating oil cost was getting to be around $700 PER MONTH and that was before the big $4+/gallon spike of a few years ago. I've got to give props to dh for being a manly-man, splitting wood and tending to that furnace twice a day all winter long; it's not a job for a couch potato. But that furnace has paid for itself many times over!

A media center computer and newer tv with hd and vga inputs. We spent about $650 on the whole setup including speakers, but we then replaced our satellite service with Netflix and Hulu, saving us $65/month. We have been using it for over a year now with no problems and we got a bigger, nicer, flat screen hdtv out of it too!

1) A farm. It's paid for now and we can make a little money off of it. No mortgage, so no one to foreclose on us.

2) A windmill. What we don't use is sold back to Hydro. We usually run a credit which is refunded to us at year end.

3) A pellet boiler. It is very economical and has saved us oodles on winter heating costs. We also sell some from our woodlot to a local company who produce pellets, so that reduces our cost further.

4) A pressure canner. It is so much faster than my water bath canner and it uses far less electricity.

5) A professional clothes steamer. I send almost nothing out for dry cleaning anymore. I just spot clean and then steam most things. It's also great for quick touch-ups in the morning (my tiny closets make for wrinkles often).

A wood-burning furnace to fuel our heat. Hands-down, that was brilliant! Our heating oil cost was getting to be around $700 PER MONTH and that was before the big $4+/gallon spike of a few years ago. I've got to give props to dh for being a manly-man, splitting wood and tending to that furnace twice a day all winter long; it's not a job for a couch potato. But that furnace has paid for itself many times over!

Yes, indeed, to that! We did the same thing a few years ago, and we love it. Our other option was oil -- noooo, thanks! Our furnace hasn't quite paid for itself yet, since it's only a couple of years old, but the higher oil goes, the faster it pays for itself. It's supposed to last 25 years, and it will definitely pay for itself within ten years, probably sooner.

I agree with all the previous posters who said cloth -- diapers, wipes, napkins, kitchen cloths, etc. I spent about $65 on diapers nine years ago for DD; they lasted through my first three children, two of my nieces, and a friend's baby before they finally became too worn out to use. That is a good return! (And reusable feminine products too.)

Buying a digital thermometer saves on birth control, if it's used properly (and it's not right for everyone, but if we chose to, we absolutely could use it to avoid a pregnancy).

Yep, the hair clippers. I think DH has been through three sets in about 18 years of doing his own hair (plus DS1's for the past several years, and shortly to add DS2's), which is still way cheaper than barbers.

Depending on your store's policy, buying their reusable bags can save money; we have a store that gives you a 3-cent credit for each bag you use, so after a while, the bag is free.

My sewing machine and serger have paid for themselves too. So have my yarn and knitting needles. (I taught myself to knit when I wanted wool longies for my third baby and decided that paying someone else $50 a pair wasn't worth it for something I could make for less than $12.)

DH's education has saved us money (more than the education cost), because he learned the skills to DIY house repairs properly. There are a huge number of things that we've not had to pay someone else to do because he can do them. I know he's bought tools and equipment along the way too that have made house and vehicle repairs possible. Once he bought fairly expensive vehicle manuals (more detailed than the basic Haynes type ones he uses for most repairs -- these were for like the electrical system or something), and he saved a bundle over having someone else do a big repair.

Edited by happypamama

1) A farm. It's paid for now and we can make a little money off of it. No mortgage, so no one to foreclose on us.

2) A windmill. What we don't use is sold back to Hydro. We usually run a credit which is refunded to us at year end.

3) A pellet boiler. It is very economical and has saved us oodles on winter heating costs. We also sell some from our woodlot to a local company who produce pellets, so that reduces our cost further.

4) A pressure canner. It is so much faster than my water bath canner and it uses far less electricity.

5) A professional clothes steamer. I send almost nothing out for dry cleaning anymore. I just spot clean and then steam most things. It's also great for quick touch-ups in the morning (my tiny closets make for wrinkles often).

Do y'all not have property taxes? People here are foreclosed on all the time for back property taxes. :(

The windmill....we are looking into this. I assume Hydro is your electric company? Were they on board with this from the start? We dread approaching our electric company because we can't imagine a big ol' welcoming committee for a windmill.:glare: We might be surprised, though!

Do y'all not have property taxes? People here are foreclosed on all the time for back property taxes. :(

The windmill....we are looking into this. I assume Hydro is your electric company? Were they on board with this from the start? We dread approaching our electric company because we can't imagine a big ol' welcoming committee for a windmill.:glare: We might be surprised, though!

Oh, yes there are property taxes, and if you don't pay they can proceed to act on that. They can't just foreclose on you. They can sue, though, and I think there are some other things they have to try first. Thankfully, I don't know anyone to whom that has happened, and I don't foresee a time when we wouldn't be able to pay the property taxes. They aren't very high to begin with (considering).

Hydro is the electric company, yes. Several years ago, there was a large company putting up windmills as part of a wind farm. Hydro offered an incentive to landowners not in the wind farm to put up smaller windmills and Hydro would connect them to the grid. A person could still get in on this, but I'm not sure if the incentive offer is the same anymore (at the time, Hydro would rebate you up to 50% of the cost).

Edited by Audrey

Yes, this. I haven't used disposables for years except in an emergency, although dd insists I buy them for her. I don't even like the feel of disposables any more.

I think one of the things I have saved a lot of money on in the last year is clothes. I have learned to ditch any clothes that I don't love and don't look good on me- ruthlessly- and learn what colours and styles look good on me- and I have a minimal wardrobe nowadays- but it makes it much easier to get dressed, I love my clothes and i am not often tempted to just pick up this or that on impulse, even when 2nd hand shopping. Iw ill also spend more on something that is worth it to me. I buy good quality stuff now and plan what I need each season. I used to buy cheap clothes willy nilly and it was so wasteful and then frustrating to have an overflow of clothes.

I think I have saved money by becoming more minimalist and cleaning out things- it makes me much less likely to impulse buy, because I want to know exactly where it will go in the house. Unfortunately dh has not get cottoned on.

We don't even own a clothes dryer.

I hate economy shower heads with a vengence- give me good water flow anyday- one area I wont cut back unless it becomes necessary. Whats the point when it takes half an hour to get the conditioner out of my hair?

If I owned our home we would be recycling all our grey water to the garden, and we would have a rainwater tank.

I need to research this roku and hulu stuff more. Don't know if I'll ever get DH to give up his satellite though. And I've never heard of a tankless water heater. Going to look that up too.

My sewing machine for certain. I make my own cloth dipes, pajama pants, curtains, aprons, etc. I've sewn many gifts for people. And I can mend easily. All the cloth items others have mentioned- napkins, dipes, kitchen towels, mama cloth.

This one is harder to quantify, I suppose, but my dog. She's my fitness trainer, mental health therapist, and security system, all in one snuggly package.

Our zoo membership. It is very close, already paid for, and we love it, so when we want to get out of the house we have somewhere healthy/educational/pleasant to go. I don't end up spending money to go wherever, and we don't end up at a mall. We almost always take our own snack or meal, and I bought the giant plastic cup that gets free refills all year. When friends want to get together, I can suggest picnicking at the zoo instead of $7/kid plus beverages and snacks at a cafe with play area or similar, esp since I can get them in as guests.

Over the years, for the long haul? I would have to seriously say Real Estate. It's always been our best bang for the buck.

I've often hung our clothes to dry, used cloth napkins, turned down my water tank; I mostly cook whole foods, and buy grains in bulk. :) We don't eat a lot of bread, we drink water (I breastfed all the children for quite a bit. ;) .)

There is no more land to be made...barring volcanic eruptions. :(

Edited by LibraryLover

I do quite a few things already mentioned:

Roku box

Antena

Homemade laundry soap

Homemade cleaning supplies

Ooma phone service

Curious about the clothes line. How much would it actually save on say 30 loads per month?

Dawn

Curious about the clothes line. How much would it actually save on say 30 loads per month?

Dawn

I don't have exact figures :), but my husband always notices the spike in the electric bill when I have to use the dryer. We use an outdoor clothesline when the weather is nice/warm enough, and drying racks inside other times. I would rather pay to heat my house than to heat my clothes.

An automatic litter box and a good doggy door have saved us a ton of money! Now, we can leave our pets home and have someone just check in on them every day or two instead of spending $30 or more a day to take them to a kennel when we go on vacation. We made our money back with the first trip after we installed the doggy door.

Oh, and also stainless steel water bottles for myself and the children. No more looking for sippy cups, we drink much more water (and less juice/soda when out), and we bring them along instead of buying drinks out. (I really hated spending money to buy *water* for the kids when we were out!) Now, on really warm days, or long trips, I might still need to buy a bottle of water if we drink all of ours, but it still cuts way down on them.

Then why are *we* always looking for our Kleen Kanteens? lol :D

Oh, and also stainless steel water bottles for myself and the children. No more looking for sippy cups, we drink much more water (and less juice/soda when out), and we bring them along instead of buying drinks out. (I really hated spending money to buy *water* for the kids when we were out!) Now, on really warm days, or long trips, I might still need to buy a bottle of water if we drink all of ours, but it still cuts way down on them.
Edited by LibraryLover

hair clippers... for the boys. A good pair of trim scissors... for the girls.

DH and I cut the boys & trim the girls' hair. Although, at times the girls need a bit more than a trim.

The boys wear their hair...short and shorter. At least for now :D