Menu

Do you wash your husband's professional work clothes at home?

My husband, an engineer, wears dress shirts and Dockers to work most days. He thinks that his work clothes should be washed at home. I have done this for many years, but I wish he would take his work clothes to a dry-cleaner. This has been the source of many arguments.

I'll put this in a math equation. He seems to think: my doing his laundry = I love him. I think: doing his laundry at home = less professional looking clothes.

I've been a SAHM for many years now, but when I worked in the professional world, I used a professional dry-cleaner for most of my work wardrobe. When I laundered some of my favorite clothes at home, even if the label said they could be washed, they just didn't turn out at nice. It might be my laundry skills or my washer, but I don't think it's just that.

We just got a new washer. My husband made the request this morning that I re-wash some of his work pants. The last time I washed them in our old washer, they came out looking worse than they had when I put them in and he hasn't worn them since. I declined to re-wash the pants, and suggested he take them to a dry-cleaner. Long story short, we had a big argument this morning.

Here's my question: Do you wash your husband's professional work clothes at home? If yes, do you think the clothes turn out as well at home as they do from the laundry service/dry-cleaner OR do you just do them at home to save money? AND if you think you can do them at home and they look as nice, what is your secret to professional looking laundry at home?

Edited by merry gardens

We do wash them at home... my husband needs to look nice for work, but he doesn't have to look super nice. We've considered switching to dry cleaning over the years, though. It's mainly been a financial issue that has held us back. Although, at this point we could probably afford it, and I think it would make his clothes look better.

I think you're right. ;)

My husband wears a white dress shirt, suit and tie five days a week, four work days plus Sunday for church. On Friday he wears a patterned dress shirt and nice slacks. His suits and ties go to the dry cleaners.

When we were dirst amrried, I used to wash his dress shirts, then iron them, with starch. I did it for a few years. One morning, I snapped! He complained one time too many about the crease in the sleeve not being correct. That day, I took his dress shirts ALL to the cleaners. I told him that our marital harmony was worth $30 a month. It is. We've been married for almost 14 years now. Our bill may be up to $40 a month, but it is still worth it.

My husband is an Engineer and wears dress shirts with dockers or mostly jeans to work. I always do his laundry at home.

I use Amway detergent, always have, always will.

Are you ironing his shirts and pants? I am picky about how my hubby looks as he walks out the door as I see it as a reflection of my job at home. I always iron his shirts even if they are a a no iron brand. I like nice crisp creases in the sleeves. :001_smile:

Dockers come in many different kinds of dress slacks and the no iron ones come out the best. I usually only have to spend a minute or two on them with the iron. Sometimes if you hang them up carefully when they are still damp you can avoid the iron.

My husband's work clothes (dress shirts and pants) all go to the dry cleaner. I think they look better. They put nice creases in the pants (I don't even know how to iron) and the shirts are always fresh and crisp. I only wash if there is a stain on the shirt/pants, and then we send them to the cleaners so they don't look wrinkly.

DH wears the same type of clothes your DH does. He used to take his shirts the cleaners, but never his pants. I've now started washing and ironing his shirts (with spray starch) in order to save money. The shirts are not as crisp, but DH has not complained. For his pants, I just wash them then hang them up as soon as they come out of the dryer.

The clothes do look nicer when they come from the cleaners, but I don't think it's worth the money. If DH was seeing clients and such, it might matter, but he's in his office all day and just sees co-workers, so I think it's perfectly adequate.

Your DH is the one who's going out to work each day, so he should know what's appropriate. If it's just a matter of appearance, let him decide. I realize it creates more work for you, but you didn't mention that as one of your objections, so I'm assuming that's not a concern.

Thankfully my DH doesn't have to wear the nice shirts any more (he usually wears polos), but he still chooses to do so during winter. I launder them at home. We get the no-wrinkle pants, and I hang them up as soon as they come out of the dryer. As for shirts, they get ironed here. I do it if I'm feeling nice, but about half the time he does it. I taught him how after he talked about doing the dry-cleaning thing for a while, but besides spending the cash, he wanted me to shuttle the clothes back and forth. I told him there wasn't a chance. I'm happy to help him look professional, but I'm cheap and moderately agoraphobic. It's easier on my mental health to do it here ;)

Here's my question: Do you wash your husband's professional work clothes at home? If yes, do you think the clothes turn out as well at home as they do from the laundry service/dry-cleaner OR do you just do them at home to save money? AND if you think you can do them at home and they look as nice, what is your secret to professional looking laundry at home?

My DH is an engineer, too. I do his wash. We can't afford drying cleaning/laundry service and honestly never would even consider it if we could due to the chemical issues and such.

I wash his clothes as one separate load and his clothes get nicely ironed before wearing them. Both DH and I are from military families (and I was active duty myself) so we know how to get sharp creases into anything if needed. ;)

Y'all are funny, and someday I should start doing my husband's wash nicely. For now, I just wash it, and if he wants it ironed, he irons. Someday, I'd love to be the one who has dinner ready at 6:18pm each night, and has his things hung up with nice creases. That would be love to him, too :) (my mom use to use the starch in the washer, kind :)) And Amway, haven't done that for a long time, but I did like their laundry soap and stain remover ;)

Dh is a merchant. He wears slacks/suit 5 days a week and a nice shirt and jeans on Friday. I wash and iron his clothing. It never occurred to me to use dry cleaning, but I grew up in a very frugal household. I'm sure they would look nicer coming from a dry cleaner, but he always looks presentable. If it matters, he deals with coops, farmers, and truckers, which might have different expectations than a law office in NYC.

My husband is an Engineer and wears dress shirts with dockers or mostly jeans to work. I always do his laundry at home.

Are you ironing his shirts and pants? I am picky about how my hubby looks as he walks out the door as I see it as a reflection of my job at home. I always iron his shirts even if they are a a no iron brand. I like nice crisp creases in the sleeves. :001_smile:

Dockers come in many different kinds of dress slacks and the no iron ones come out the best. I usually only have to spend a minute or two on them with the iron. Sometimes if you hang them up carefully when they are still damp you can avoid the iron.

Thanks for your laundry advice.:) It's good to hear from wives of engineers because I don't know what's standard for that job.

I like nice crisp shirts too--but my husband doesn't want starch. I don't know how to get them looking crisp without spray starch or magic sizzing or something. :confused: I do iron his shirts, but they just don't turn out looking very good to me.

I do try to hang the pants while damp, and I usually take an iron to them too. It seems to me they don't look not as good after a few washings.

It depends a lot on the fabric.

Good quality 100% cotton white dress shirts always go to the dry cleaner. If they accidently get washed at home (even one time) they are never the same. 100% cotton just calls out for a dry cleaner. :)

Lately, DH is trying to get away from the starched, crisp shirt look. He's now taken up with silk. :D 100% silk always goes to the dry cleaner or it's never the same. He did find some great silk blend dress shirts at Dillards the other day, and they turned out great in the wash. (Maybe that will justify the heafty price tag.)

Docker type pants I always wash and iron. I can't tell much difference from the dry cleaner. On other dress pants I dry clean if it says to or wash if it doesn't. I do hang dress pants and dress shirts to dry, and I iron almost everything we wear.

Edited to add- DH is an optometrist.

Edited by Swirl

We washed and ironed at home until the third child was born. Now I take his dress shirts to the cleaners. He wears wool trousers and a tie each day as well, so those go to the cleaners too. Totally worthy the money!

ETA: DH is an engineer too. If it makes difference, he is a vice-president in his engineering company and works with clients all day.

Edited by Sheldon

It depends on my mood. Thankfully Dh really doesn't care one way or the other... except the $$. He will even wear wrinkled clothes without batting an eye.

Dh doesn't usually have to look super nice and if he does, he wears his dress clothes (suits that have to be dry cleaned). His dockers/dress shirts I launder, but I don't iron them usually (I also insist on buying the wrinkle resistant clothes-LOL). If he needs something ironed badly, then I will do it if I have time, or he will iron it himself.

If he needed to have his clothes ironed all the time... then off to the dry cleaners.

When I do his clothes... most of the time I do it about the same as the dry cleaners. But I am a stickler about it because if I am going to bother ironing them... I am going to do it right.

But I also was in the military for 5 yrs and taking care of our uniforms was a form of art.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I also wash at home. I switched dh to wrinkle free clothing several years ago after spending hours at the ironing board with babies and toddlers running amuck.

I do send suit jackets/pants out for drycleaning when airing them no longer is cutting it.

If he is going to a super important meeting (or if he were to go on a job interview) I would send those clothes out, but for the average day to day stuff we just wash & hang. The idea of having one more errand to add to my regular list just kinda makes me twitch, ya know?

DH wears the same stuff your hubby does. I do wash them, but I have a good washer/dryer and hang everything up as soon as the timer goes off. It's inconvenient for me but doable because I have the right equipment. If I didn't, they would go to the cleaners.

I'll put this in a math equation. He seems to think: my doing his laundry = I love him. I think: doing his laundry at home = less professional looking clothes.

Ah.... but would he consider it "love" if YOU took his clothes to the dry cleaner and also picked them up? I realize it's a hassle, but if he is anything like my DH, that "one extra stop" in the morning is what is throwing him off. Traffic in the morning makes him tense enough. Dropping off and picking up his clothes sounds like less of a hassle for you than washing them....

My husband is active duty military and for the past few years has just been wearing cammies to work so, yes, we wash those at home. The new cammies don't wrinkle and they have permanent creases, so they don't have to be ironed and starched repeatedly like the cammies of old.

When he was recruiting he had to wear a more formal uniform and I did not clean that at home. The pants, I believe, are dry clean only, and the shirts need to be ironed and creased just so. It looks better when the dry cleaner does it.

DH wears the same type of clothes your DH does. He used to take his shirts the cleaners, but never his pants. I've now started washing and ironing his shirts (with spray starch) in order to save money. The shirts are not as crisp, but DH has not complained. For his pants, I just wash them then hang them up as soon as they come out of the dryer.

The clothes do look nicer when they come from the cleaners, but I don't think it's worth the money. If DH was seeing clients and such, it might matter, but he's in his office all day and just sees co-workers, so I think it's perfectly adequate.

Your DH is the one who's going out to work each day, so he should know what's appropriate. If it's just a matter of appearance, let him decide. I realize it creates more work for you, but you didn't mention that as one of your objections, so I'm assuming that's not a concern.

Thanks for sharing. I highlighted some point that stood out to me. Basically, your post really helped it sink in the my husband has different standards for what he thinks looks good and how much he's willing to pay for it than I do. He doesn't even like it when I use spray starch. He doesn't think the dry-cleaners is worth the money, and you're right that he's the one who goes to his work each day so he should know what's appropriate.

He dresses appropriate for his job, but he complains about not being promoted to the position he wants. His company has had seminars on dressing professional--and I take it that means they want their people dressing better. He's a skilled engineer, but engineers aren't exactly know for their fashion sense. If it were up to me, I'd dress him in a suit and tie most everyday, with heavy starch on his shirts. :D

My husband is active duty military and for the past few years has just been wearing cammies to work so, yes, we wash those at home. The new cammies don't wrinkle and they have permanent creases, so they don't have to be ironed and starched repeatedly like the cammies of old.

So lucky!!! I hated ironing Dh's cammies back in the day-LOL. I made Dh iron his cammies and dress uniforms (I hate polyester and wool uniforms!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Now my Ds and I have to iron cammies (oops, BDU's) for CAP-LOL.

Didn't read everything...I work PT as a nurse. I hs my dd. I wash my dh's work clothes which are similar to your dh's. I also iron them. I do not think it is as nice as the dry cleaners, but I do feel it is my responsibility. If we had a lot of surplus $$, I probably would go that route.

My husband is a Professor. I wash my husband's clothes the same way everyone elses get washed. I do not iron, he does if he has time. I really do not notice a difference when he has the time to iron vs when he does not. I read something somewhere that said once the person sits down in their car to drive to work (10 minutes for him here) it is wrinkled again anyway.

I have noticed that some Docker type pants wash up better than others. There are pants with a no iron finish on them and they wash up without as many wrinkles and look crisper. I think the ones I like the most come from Eddie Bauer. Some cottons just shrink more and show their wrinkles worse. Even ironing does not make the worse ones better, imo.

I would not use a dry cleaner because of the chemicals and cost either.

The only thing we take to the cleaners is dh's alb, b/c it is worth the $10 to not have to iron it ourselves. But everything else dh does himself, and it turns out well enough, I think (yes, he does his own washing and ironing, poor man :tongue_smilie:- he even does *my* ironing if I need it :001_wub:). Honestly, it never would have occurred to me to take regular washable clothes to the cleaners - even aside from the expense, it just seems superfluous somehow.

DH is a Vice President of a generic pharmaceutical lab. He wears Eddie Bauer pants similar to Dockers and mostly Eddie Bauer wrinkle-free button down shirts. I wash these all at home and hang them right up from a hot dryer. No ironing at all.

He does on rare ocassion wear a suit with dress shirt and tie. These all go to the dry cleaners but it's only about once every 3 to 4 months, sometimes less.

I would do whatever my dh wanted unless it was a lot more work for me. He knows what he feels comfortable in and what is normal where he works.

You said your dh doesn't like starch or the dry cleaner. Could it be irritating to his skin? Most dry cleaners use some pretty heavy chemicals that can be very irritating to skin.

My husband is a bi-vocational doctor & pastor. His one suit goes to the cleaner about 2x a year or as needed. I wash his dockers and dress shirts. He'll ONLY wear 100% cotton shirts. I try to get him shirts that don't look too bad if I rescue them immediately from the dryer. I'm more finicky about the shirts he wears to church than to the office. His office shirts are covered by his white coat, so as long as the collar is ok, I don't worry too much. I'll iron as needed when I have the time, but I care more about his shirts than he does. He has been known to pull a wrinkled shirt out of a basket and wear it wrinkled because he didn't feel like wearing the shirts hanging in the closet. :001_huh: If he complained, I would iron, but he also knows how to iron, or he could wear some non-100% cotton shirts.

We don't have a local dry-cleaner and right now, $30-40 a month is more valuable to us than my time.

My dh is also an engineer, and yes, I was his work clothes at home. He usually wears jeans and a nice shirt, but I wash his church clothes (khakis and button downs) at home and would do the same if he wore them to work. It wouldn't even cross my mind to not do it, especially if it was important to him.

He dresses appropriate for his job, but he complains about not being promoted to the position he wants. His company has had seminars on dressing professional--and I take it that means they want their people dressing better. He's a skilled engineer, but engineers aren't exactly know for their fashion sense. If it were up to me, I'd dress him in a suit and tie most everyday, with heavy starch on his shirts. :D

If he wants to be promoted, and his company prizes professional appearance, then that is a bit different to me. However, it sounds like if he's not willing to go the whole distance (starched shirts, tie, etc), it doesn't matter if you or the cleaners are doing the clothes. Have you discussed it with him from this angle? i.e. how he needs to dress to meet his own, personal goals - not what you want, but what he does.

The only things that are dry cleaned are his suits (I even wash his pants myself sometimes) and his ties.

Everything else is done at home.

I am very, very picky about what fabrics I buy and look for the most wrinkle free I can get. HE DOES HIS OWN IRONING. I will iron for him occasionally, but my effort toward his wardrobe is to buy him high quality, low-iron clothes. I wash, dry, and hang up as soon as they come out of the dryer. The rest is up to him.

I would not do dry cleaning on regular clothes due to the chemicals. I would consider a laundry service if dh didn't iron his own.

Thanks for sharing. I highlighted some point that stood out to me. Basically, your post really helped it sink in the my husband has different standards for what he thinks looks good and how much he's willing to pay for it than I do. He doesn't even like it when I use spray starch. He doesn't think the dry-cleaners is worth the money, and you're right that he's the one who goes to his work each day so he should know what's appropriate.

Generally speaking, you are supposed to dress like the person/position you aspire to be. If he wants to get promoted, he needs to dress like the people in higher up positions.

My engineer hubby wears Land's End Trousers with a button down shirt and tie most days.

We just got a new washer. My husband made the request this morning that I re-wash some of his work pants. The last time I washed them in our old washer, they came out looking worse than they had when I put them in and he hasn't worn them since. I declined to re-wash the pants, and suggested he take them to a dry-cleaner. Long story short, we had a big argument this morning.

If it was a suit or dry-clean only garment, then I wouldn't wash it at home. But Dockers and Dress Shirts can be laundered at home.

I wash and iron with starch at home. That's all the pro's will do! I also only buy wash and wear/wrinkle free men's clothes! That really helps keep them in shape but it really only lasts for about 40 washes. Land's End has the best line for this, IMHO.

And it gives him warm fuzzies when iron his clothes and hang them in the closet all ready to wear! :)

PS: DH is a systems engineer & consultant for a major software company. After going to the office, I was assured that he fits right in with his "relaxed" attire.

Edited by jannylynn

DH works as a university librarian. He wears the same 'uniform' of dress shirt, tie and Lands End pants.

He does all the laundry for the house. I do know he does his work clothes in their own load. He does them at some point over the weekend. he makes a point of taking them right out of the drier and on hangers. If it needs ironing, he's going to be the one to do it. I don't even know if we own an iron. I am guessing we do but I have never used it.

We would never consider taking those type of clothes to a dry cleaner. It isn't necessary, it costs too much and isn't good for the environment. If he needs a suit cleaned for a presentation etc then he sends that to the cleaners, but that is all.

My husband is an executive at a large company and wears suits to work. I always wash and iron his dress shirts and I don't have a problem making them look nice.

For a while, he wore more casual pants (dockers) and when he did I washed and ironed those, too.

I wash everything in cold water, except white dress shirts which get washed in a load by themselves and in hot water.

His suits get drycleaned, but only because they can't be washed.

I show my dh love by taking his clothes to the dry cleaners. :) He really prefers how they do them. Honestly, I would spend 20 minutes trying to iron a dress shirt to get it to look decent enough for him to wear...why not let the local cleaners do it for $1.35? I would only be "saving" $4/hour by trying to do it at home, and, they wouldn't even look as nice.

I wonder if you need a new or better iron? I use a Rowenta that I got at Costco. It is the cheapest Rowenta I have bought, but it works the best. They get hotter and put out more steam and I think his shirts look better. I do have some 100 percent cotton shirts that require a tad extra water, and I use a squirt bottle or some spray starch on those.

I learned to iron back in the day when everything was 100 percent cotton and everything was sprinkled with water and rolled up in the basket waiting for you to iron it. So my theory is, if it still looks wrinkled, add more water to the equation. Try taking the shirts out of the dryer before they are totally dry and hanging them up before the wrinkles are quite as set in.

100 percent cotton dockers are just beasts to make look great no matter what you do.

It could be time to invest in some better quality clothes or easier to care for clothes.

DH is a software engineer and dresses as you describe - dockers, dress shirt, sometimes tie. I wash everything at home and iron it. We both think they come out just fine for his work. I don't do anything special really except make sure the creases are in the right places and everything is pressed.

The dry cleaning chemicals and cost, not to mention the hassle of getting it there/back, are not worth it for us personally.

I'm another military spouse and until the last year-eighteen months my dh had to wear a khaki poly blend uniform. There was no need to iron it, before that I did have to iron his washed khaki's but he never complained that they looked bad or were wrong and I never used starch. Now they have they have the new Digital cami Navy Working Uniform, which is wash and wear, the part I hated was having to sew all the patches/collar devices on only to have to rip them all off and sew on new ones 4 months later when he got promoted. I told him they need to come up with a velcro system for the collar insignia so it isn't so hard to change. LOL

I honestly don't get it. My dh wears a suit and tie everyday. He's a VP at a large company. I wash and iron his dress shirts and when he wore more casual pants (dockers instead of a suit) I washed and ironed those. I seriously do not see how drycleaning could make his dress shirts look noticeably better than washing and ironing them at home.

And I'm the one who drops off and picks up dh's suits when they're drycleaned.

DH wears dockers and long sleeve button down or polo shirt to work everyday. I wash his work clothes, hang them dry (I don't put them in the dryer) and iron. I don't know why, but I think the clothes look better not going in the dryer. More work for me, but ironing is theraputic to me -- I'm weird :tongue_smilie:!!

My husband, an engineer, wears dress shirts and Dockers to work most days. ....

My husband is an engineer too, and wears the same thing, dress shirts and dockers (no tie). Golf/polo shirt on Fridays. I wash and dry them in our washer and dryer. Machines are less than two years old. Clothes are fine. I just pull them out of the dryer as soon as they are done so I won't have to iron them. I would not want to add professional cleaning to my budget. We could but I'd rather eat another meal out than pay for cleaning.