Menu

Old-fashioned Southern seasonal rules for fashion-am I the only one who can't let go?

I simply cannot:

1) Wear white on the bottom half of my person before Easter or after Labor Day

2) Wear open-toed shoes before Easter or after Labor Day

3) Wear linen or cotton voile before Easter or after Labor Day

4) Wear velvet before Thanksgiving or after Valentine's Day

Am I the only one who has the rules so deeply rooted that letting go is impossible?? Do you have any other such seasonal "rules" related to fashion to which you are a slave?

I followed them until I moved to Florida. It gets too hot here to wear closed toed shoes that much of the year, and once that one went it was easier to let go of the rest. I still don't wear white on the bottom half before Easter or after Labor Day though, so I guess I haven't completely let go. ;)

I simply cannot:

I won't wear white on the bottom half of my person, full stop.

I wear flip flops or Chuck Taylors, almost exclusively. I have 2 pairs of dress heels, 1 open toed and 1 not. I don't decide which I'll wear seasonally-- it just depends on the outfit.

I'll wear linen skirts any time. They're so comfy.

This one... I think of velvet as a "winter weight" fabric, so I tend to stick with that idea. Corduroy, too.

Am I the only one who has the rules so deeply rooted that letting go is impossible?? Do you have any other such seasonal "rules" related to fashion to which you are a slave?

I put comments in red.

I am TOTALLY with you! I bought my kiddos Easter shoes, and the lady asked if we wanted to wear them home. I replied "no, we don't wear white shoes before Easter, so we'll put them back in the boxes to keep them nice until then". She replied "oh, you are REALLY old-fashioned!". This was an upscale children's shoe store in South Carolina. I was shocked - I would have thought most of her clientele would have felt the same way!

Me, too!

it's still super hot, though, I wear my flips. I think they are exempt because they are open foot shoes, not open toe shoes.:lol::lol:

The white before Easter/after Labor Day is really a big one for me - it stands out to me a lot when others do it.

I followed them until I moved to Florida. It gets too hot here to wear closed toed shoes that much of the year, and once that one went it was easier to let go of the rest. I still don't wear white on the bottom half before Easter or after Labor Day though, so I guess I haven't completely let go. ;)

I only wear closed shoes if I have to - usually because I'm going hiking or doing some other activity in which open shoes might be unsafe.

I wear white year round. I dress for the weather, not for someone's idea of what colors go with what months. Sometimes it's 85 degrees in December. Light colored clothes, including white, are simply cooler.

Some years back (maybe 10 years or more) the Florida Tourism industry came up with a slogan that said "The Rules are Different Here". A lot of people criticized it, and they dropped it after a short time, but in terms of fashion, the rules really are different here.

Some years back (maybe 10 years or more) the Florida Tourism industry came up with a slogan that said "The Rules are Different Here". A lot of people criticized it, and they dropped it after a short time, but in terms of fashion, the rules really are different here.

I think this is true in Southern California too. It got up into the nineties yesterday. I'm in a sleeveless cotton shirt and shorts, no shoes. When I go out today, the most I'm putting on is sandals. But that's normal here, and people have nice clothes that follow those weather rules - so you'll see people wearing sleeveless shirts, shorts and sandals, but they still look really pulled together, not sloppy.

Anyway, around here, if you don't dress for the weather, you melt. Unless you work in a.c., of course.

I am with you. And now that I live in a colder climate, I'm like Mariann, Memorial Day has become my benchmark rather than Easter. Light shoes on Easter still okay, though, just for the day, unless by some freak of nature it is actually warm.

I simply cannot:

You are not the only one. Some things are drummed into you so hard it doesn't matter how far away you move. :D

We don't have Memorial Day.

Other than that, I agree. Course, may have more to do with the piles of snow that don't even vanish until after Easter than anything else...heck, my 8th wedding anniversary is on Sunday. I ended up having to wear winter boots under my wedding gown to get into the church. Talk about schmexy! :lol:

I am in the PNW, so some of the rules make sense here...but I wouldn't follow them based on 'a rule' but due to seasonal clothing needs.

We don't wear white when it is raining.

If you don't step in a mud puddle yourself, you are likely to get splashed by the person next to you, who does.

Those would be some cold toesies in the 20-40* weather between those two dates.

Linen and voile would only be warm enough if you wear long underwear under them, so again, the weather wins.

4) Wear velvet before Thanksgiving or after Valentine's Day.

This one.....well it gets broken because it is likely cold enough October through March to wear it. Add in the hippies to the moderate weather, and you will see velvet year round here.

I simply cannot:

Crazy Southern Belle right here! LOL To the point that even my girls know that we DO NOT wear white shoes after Labor Day. *Gasp* *Swoon*

Call me a bad mom if you want but I have sent them to change if their attire was not appropriate for the season. :tongue_smilie:

When one gets above single-digit sizes, wearing white on the lower half becomes counter-productive! :p

I don't wear white shoes. My former boss made the observation that they make your feet look big - and it's true! I haven't bought a pair of white dress shoes since (although cream is ok).

I'm on the fence about open-toed shoes. A couple of weeks ago it was in the 80's here, and flip-flops seemed appropriate to go with my outfit. :D Besides, it was all I had.

(My shoe wardrobe is in serious need of updating.) :D

I simply cannot:

I thought the white on the bottom was just shoes. But no matter, I don't wear much white in terms of pants, shorts or skirts anyway. Open toe shoes, never knew that one. Same with linen, cotton voile and velvet. I never knew those "rules". But I'd only wear velvet for a special Christmas dress anyway.

I guess having lived in FL my whole life I don't really pay attention. I still live by the old rules. :001_smile:

I should edit my last post to say I will let the girls start wearing sandals after the first warm week here which is usually in mid March.

I however will not compromise.

I simply cannot:

I agree w/ the poster who said that she does not wear white on her bottom half. Full stop!

I will wear flip flops every. single. day. that the temperature outside is above 70 degrees. I dont' care what month it is.

I own a few dresses made out of these fabrics. I will wear them anytime the weather is warm enough for flip flops (see above).

I honestly haven't worn velvet since I was probably 10 years old. I only have boys, and they don't own velvet, either.

I don't notice what people wear in terms of the season, unless they are obviously inappropriately dressed for the weather (as in, a 12yo who insists on leaving the house in a tee shirt and shorts despite 40 degree temps. outdoors).

i would have to agree with all of them.

except, if we have warm day in the 'winter' months, I have been known to wear flip flops with jeans.

i really do not even like white shoes, but my girls are still young enough that they wear them.

it seems so hysterical to think about them, but i cannot break the rules without feeling like a foreigner to the 'societal system'...

Those rules are not just Southern. :-)

Miss Manners says the rules are no white until after Memorial Day, and not after Labor Day. I don't think she specifies open-toed shoes, though. I've never heard that before. Or the one about velvet. :001_huh:

So, no, I don't wear white between Labor Day and Memorial Day.:001_smile:

I once wore light-colored clothes to church before Memorial Day and was told I looked "so spring-ish today". I have been paranoid ever since. What is funny, though, is that I go to a Greek church now and everyone wears black all.the.time no matter what season it is. That's made things a bit easier.

I tossed aside all those rules as soon as I left home and my mom couldn't boss me around anymore. She is still horrified if I let my girls wear shorts before May 1 or white shoes before Easter. I'm just a rebel like that. :lol:

rules :confused:

Nah, I wear weather appropriate, fairly modest clothing. That's the extent of my rules..lol. In fact, I probably have offended someone with my wearing of white capris several times the past couple of weeks. But when it hits 80 in February...you do what you gotta do.

I simply cannot:

I don't wear white at all.

A Morton's neuroma necessitates that I wear only tennis shoes made on a certain mold by a certain brand or flip flops/sandals. I typically own one pair of New Balance tennis shoes and one pair of flip flips. I have a couple of other shoes but I find them too uncomfortable, most of the time, to wear.

Sensitivities has me wearing cotton or cotton blends. My "uniform" is lightweight jeans and cotton tops. I've never owned linen and I don't know what cotton voile is.

I can't imagine ever wearing anything so thick and heavy, ever.

Unfortunately, my wardrobe is determined by medical problems, sensitive skin, and budget. I wish I could be fashionable, but I simply can't.

I simply cannot:

I am from The South and yes, I follow each and every one. The only mod is that we don't wear white b/t Labor Day and Easter on any part of our bodies. No white.

No only am I psychologically bound by these rule, I'm teaching my daughter to live by them!:eek:

I grew up here in NC, but don't really follow those rules. If it is hot I wear something cool, if it is cold, I wear something warm.

The only reason I don't wear flip flops if it is 80 degrees in January is because my toenails probably aren't polished! HAHAHAHA!

I went out with a bunch of gals for my friends birthday this past Oct. 14. I had on white linen dress pants. IT WAS A HOT DAY!!

Well these ladies are doctors and such (my friend is a meteorologist for a local news station) so these are ladies I look up to. One of the ladies said, "I can't believe Leigh let you ride in her car with those white pants on!" She was just kidding, but I got really embarrased. I hadn't even thought about it. It was just one of my "hot" weather outfits.

I really think those "rules" are kinda silly. JMHO. :001_smile:

I simply cannot:

I'm not from the the south and I follow these rules. My mom asked me the other day if these fashion rules still apply. The only exception I ever made to the above was the open toe shoes, while I was living in Florida. Even then, it took me two years of living there before I realized that I had to wear open toe shoes before Easter because I was just too hot.

I'm not even from the South and I follow (to this day) each and every one of the rules you mentioned.:glare: My mother was formidable.:glare:

ETA: I cannot do the white thing before Memorial Day though.

Me too! I'm recent transplant from New England to NJ.

I guess having lived in FL my whole life I don't really pay attention. I still live by the old rules. :001_smile:

I should edit my last post to say I will let the girls start wearing sandals after the first warm week here which is usually in mid March.

I however will not compromise.

I grew up in Florida, and I still follow all of these rules. But, my mama was not from Florida, so maybe that is what makes a difference??

These are really ingrained in me! I don't think I can change at the ripe old age of 47.

My daddy worked with a guy who wore a seersucker suit every day between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Now THAT is Southern!

I had a friend (also a Floridian) though his people came from North Carolina whose mother would not carry a purse with a strap after 5:00 p.m. THAT was one I had never heard of before, and it sent my friend from Ole Miss into a tailspin trying to make sure that one was "official," because she certainly didn't want to be violating any Southern dress codes.

I really think those "rules" are kinda silly. JMHO. :001_smile:

:iagree: They make absolutely no sense. Most etiquette rules make sense, as they are often rules about courtesy towards others. Others, like what you can wear when, are just downright silly. Many are leftover from another era. I live in the 21st century and I like it here. :001_smile:

I am in the "no white before Memorial Day" camp. This extends to purses as well as shoes and pants/shorts. Also, no straw purses before Memorial Day. You can add spectator pumps to that as well, although I haven't seen a nice pair of spectator pumps in years. And, I'm originally from Delaware...not exactly the deep South. LOL

I grew up in the south and heard and followed all of those rules. I still can't wear white before Memorial Day.

Did you hear this one: your shoes and purse must match at all times.

My mom took this a bit further: her bra and underwear matched her outfit, too!

I know all these rules, yet I refuse to uphold them any longer. One of my intentional personality changes is completely ignoring what others wear (I was COMPLETELY and OVERLY concerned about this in the past), and it's really hard if I focus on these rules.

ETA: I fail at this a lot, but I do try really hard!