1. 1. Can your kids choose PS

• K-4 Yes, they get to choose
    • K-4 No, I make the decision
    • 5-8 Yes, they get to choose
    • 5-8 No, I make the decision
    • 9-12 Yes, they get to choose
    • 9-12 No, I make the decision
    • Other

I'm the first "Other"! DD doesn't choose (she's 3, for crying out loud), but I do take her opinion into consideration. When we sent her to a couple of different summer camps last summer I saw definite preferences in what she did and didn't like (as well as very strong reactions against certain set-ups), so we've learned to take her preferences into consideration.

I guess I would say I make the decision (well, DH and I), but she is and will continue to be part of the conversation.

Mine have shown no interest in going anywhere but if they did, I would say no. I will take into account their interests and goals later when choosing high school curriculum but they still will have no say in where they go to school. When they are college bound, if I am paying for it, we will make the decision together.

My answer would be K-8 I choose, and 9-12 they will have a say, but I (and dh) have veto power. So, I will make the final choice, but not without taking their feelings/opinions into account - it's not either/or.

My mom never considered homeschooling, but when I begged to go to a private high school (our ps was abysmal), she listened, and I'm very glad she did.

Edited by matroyshka

Do they get to choose (at all during the K-12 process) no. Do I ask for and consider their input esp. as they get older? Very definitely.

:iagree: I can't imagine ds every expressing a desire to go to school. We're not morning people and I think the high school bus came by at 6:50 today. I was just making coffee.

His opinion would be heard and discussed, but dh and I still hold veto power.

Do they get to choose (at all during the K-12 process) no. Do I ask for and consider their input esp. as they get older? Very definitely.

Right. *Ultimately* the decision is mine, k-12. But their well-reasoned arguments hold more weight as they grow and mature.

I voted other. We haven't faced this yet and so far my children beg to be homeschooled!

My beef with letting them choose is that I don't want us to all be on different schedules right now. I don't want to have to be home at 3pm because the school bus is coming or I have to go pick up, etc.....

Ultimately, I don't have a problem with our local public schools, although I would still prefer the charter school or a magnet program should my children wish to attend school.

Now, we don't have high school aged kids yet, so I can't really say for sure I won't change my mind for high school, but so far, my boys are VERY involved in their homeschool activities and friends and have no desire to go to a brick and mortar school.

Some days I wish they would! Then I could go back to work and we could live less frugally! I miss working.

Dawn

My current thought (DD is only 6) is DD can choose for high school. But, I'm thinking it will be more along the lines of we'll talk about it and try to find a consensus. I can't imagine her wanting to get out of bed though.

Elementary and middle school is, ultimately, the parents' decision, while children may be allowed to voice some general preferences.

I do believe, however, in allowing children to choose high school (grades 9-12, -13 in Italy), especially in allowing children with some definite preferences and talents doing so. I cannot replicate an artistic lycee at home, for example. Nor can I replicate a good science magnet school with fancy labs and projects. Basic classical lycee I could do at home, but I would still take into account the child's desire to have a more interactive surroundings in a good school. The only thing which would definitely make me pull the child out of a B&M high school by force are serious health and social issues (getting into a bad company, starting the path of self-destruction in some way, etc.).

K-8... No!

9-12... I chose other. My oldest went to public school for 9 and 10. It was not a good experense, but I couldn't teacher her and take care of my littles. I felt that she would get more out of school than what I could give (I was very wrong!) She now attends a public boarding school, 4 hours away, for exceptionally talented dc. It is not like any "public" school I have ever encountered. The school is very strict. If your behavior and grades are not exceptional, you will not be allowed to attend. ALL the dc at the school study hard and behave. It is really what public school should be.

When my next in line reaches high school (she is in 1st grade this year), I will have to see what the schools where we live are like. I can't answer the question until we get closer to having to make the decision.

It's not a yes or no question for us.

When the kids were little, the parents pretty much made the decision. But we always solicited and took into account the kids feelings and opinions. Sometimes, even when they wanted something different, we stuck to our original decision. But we always, always listened and explained.

When my daughter was 12, she chose to go into a residential, early entrance college program in another state. I had concerns and would certainly have preferred to keep her home longer. But she was adamant, and we understood her position. So, we supported her choice.

My son is now 13 (today!). He flirted with the idea of going to our county's performing arts magnet school next year. He felt he was ready for new horizons and very much wanted the training he thought he would get in that program. Again, we had concerns, but I understood his position. So, we agreed to do some research. We got as far as submitting the application and attending the open house before he changed his mind. So, happily, I'll be kepping him home, after all.

We made it clear from the first moment we discussed the high school thing that we would support his choice as long as we felt it was working. We told him we reserved the right to pull him out of the school the minute we thought it was not working, whether our concerns were academic or social or anything else.

K-8th her father and I made the decision. When dd started highschool, we gave her the option of attending a christian highschool. For 9th grade, she chose to homeschool. When we moved to northern VA, she asked to attend a traditional highschool. She picked the christian highschool she's now attending.

This is funny because I'm trying to talk my 4 year old into going to preschool! She does not want to go! I really have so much to do with the 2 boys I just think it would be so much easier for me. I think I will go show her and see what she thinks.

When the kids were little, the parents pretty much made the decision. But we always solicited and took into account the kids feelings and opinions. Sometimes, even when they wanted something different, we stuck to our original decision. But we always, always listened and explained

This

Older dd is attending school next year. She really, really wanted to go. That wasn't our deciding factor, but it went on our(dh and I) list of pros and cons. But if everything else had pointed towards staying home, that's what we would have done.

My son was accepted to two magnet programs. Clearly I approve of these or he would not have applied. We did not apply to the $20,000 private school. So does he get to choose - yes, he gets to make a choice based on what I put in front of him. AND I would only present him with choices that I think are best for him and his needs. These are not the same choices that my next daughter will have for high school. Every kid is different and every kid needs their own platter (even if there is only one selection on it) - she gets to choose her summer camp options for now.

I gave my children the option to try school starting in middle school. One child took me up on it for one year, one did not, one went - is doing great and still there, and one went and didn't do so great. I pulled her against her will and will probably let her try again in 8th grade if she wants. The oldest dd came home in high school. SO far everyone has been pretty happy with their choices.

I voted other because while the ultimate choice lies with dh and me, my daughters' input is welcome however, it depends on the reasoning. When dd9 was about 6, she said she wanted to go to school but her reason was so she could play on the playground at recess. Ah. No! However, she now has expressed sustained interest in attending a new STEM science school beginning in 6th grade. The reasons here are more sound. Science is her thing and this school has a lot of opportunities for her that she would not have at home. We are seriously weighing this option for her. DD7 currently has no desire to go to school and I can't ever see myself forcing her to go.

My dc didn't go to school. :D

Any Official Learning Stuff started out at the kitchen table, but learning happened all over the house (and outside the house, for that matter, since everything we did was part of their education, whether it looked like "school" or not).

So I voted "other," since we didn't Do School. :)

I voted no for K-4 and then "other,' because my oldest is only a kindergartener and it seemed silly for me to project that far forward. I have to imagine that it would be extremely difficult to homeschool a 17yo who was dead set against it. Not that you couldn't refuse to enroll them in school, but I can't think that you'd get much done at home, either. Although come to think of it, I do remember reading one book -- I think it was Paula Penn-Nabrit's book? -- about homeschooling middle and high schoolers who hated homeschooling.

In any event, I'd like to think that as everyone gets older, we'll be able to decide together.

Edited by JennyD