Menu

How important do you consider piano (or any music) lessons?

DS7 and DS6 and getting to that age where I am considering signing them up for music lessons. My DH really wants them to take piano lessons and I know it teaches patience and discipline. My niece started playing cello and age 10 and ended up in a children's orchestra so some musical talent runs in the family. I played clarinet in High School, but I don't think it ever really did anything for me. I had an organ and lessons when I was younger and the teacher was evil (used shame as a teaching technique).

So here are my specific questions:

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are?

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons?

3) At what age to start?

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids?

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform).

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well?

DS7 and DS6 and getting to that age where I am considering signing them up for music lessons. My DH really wants them to take piano lessons and I know it teaches patience and discipline. My niece started playing cello and age 10 and ended up in a children's orchestra so some musical talent runs in the family. I played clarinet in High School, but I don't think it ever really did anything for me. I had an organ and lessons when I was younger and the teacher was evil (used shame as a teaching technique).

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are? For us, it's just below reading and math as far as importance and we consider it mandatory.

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons? It depends on what it is. We do piano and one sport only.

3) At what age to start? We started at 2, but I think we could have started at about 4 and been fine. I think it's important to start young so they have the idea of "this is what we do". They do not know any different.

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids? My guy is still too young to answer this, although I do think it teaches him that practice and hard work pay off.

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform). I'm not sure if they are vital. My son enjoys them. It gives him a chance to share his skills with other family members and friends and to be proud of what he has accomplished.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well? We have lessons once a week, but practice daily. My husband had to learn right along with my son in order to help him during practice. We have never tried something without a teacher.

:)

I think it depends on the family and their interest in music. We are a musical family, so it's important to us. One of my best friends grew up without any musical talent in the house and is now facing a child who really, really, REALLY wants to learn to play violin. It's presenting several challenges to her, not the least of which is finding the time to help her practice.

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons?

No. I do not consider music to be a MUST (though musical education of some sort is listed in the state requirements and done through schools, so I would at least do the basics anyway). I only enrolled DD in violin on her wishes and am teaching DS piano for the same reason.

3) At what age to start?

Depends on the instrument and the kid. DS (age 8) really wants to learn banjo, but his fine motor skills need some major improvement before I will allow him to take lessons, so he's doing piano for now. DD (age 5) started violin when she was barely 4.

DS' fine motor skills have improved already. Before we began, he had no independent movement in his fourth digits and couldn't play those notes without also hitting the key his fifth digit was on. Now he has progressed to being able to play those keys at one volume and one tempo. When he has full independent motion, we'll talk banjo. DD is learning to overcome her chronic perfectionism. At her first concert, she messed something up and came bawling to my lap. End of concert. At the second concert, she screwed up but kept going and didn't cry. I call that improvement.

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform).

I think they are at some level. I'm not talking big huge public performances, but even just playing for extended family is helpful. I think it's a good idea to get kids used to performing in front of groups because eventually most people wind up having to speak in front of a class or group setting somewhere, and if they have recital history under their belt, it can take some of the pressure off.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well?

I'm comfortable teaching DS piano but not DD's violin because I know how to play piano but not violin. I'm not familiar enough with any online music programs to really answer, though.

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are? I think they are very important. In addition to the music itself, there are changes in the brain of children who play stringed instruments that affects other types of cognitive activity for the better

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons? Music and a sport would both be priorities. We did not do Scouts when they were young.

3) At what age to start? Your kids are at a good age to start

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids? Well, yes. I discovered two of my kids are gifted musicians. One more might be. One just had fun. I am not musically inclined. Dh has ability, but never developed it. It was a total surprise to me that my sons had that ability, which would have been undiscovered if we hadn't done music.

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform). When my kids took violin, it was mandatory. Since they started recitals really early, the kids took it as a natural thing. When my sons switched instruments, there were no recitals. I wish my son's music teacher had done these. It's my only complaint. It did impact the comfort with being able to perform.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well?Yes. I think lessons from a teacher are needed.

Answers inserted above.

It's too early for me to answer most of those questions, but one of the most important reasons I can see for encouraging my children to take up music is because it is a healthy hobby that doesn't involve a screen! Not that I object to screens, as evident by my post count :glare::D but none of us want our kids glued to screens for every minute of free time. If they play suitable instruments, there are service opportunities available too. I'm not sure there will be much to sacrifice in favour of music lessons here. They will have to learn to swim and go to Saturday school. They probably won't have more opportunities outside our SCA involvement (so there's archery and dancing on offer) for logistic reasons. Who knows the future though? :)

Rosie

I must respond, but am in a rush, so I'll just give a general answer. I consider basic musical training to be very important -- as a PP said, just after math & reading. And by starting young, as a PP said, it is just "what we do." That was my mother's attitude way back when my brothers and I were young -- we thought everyone played piano and another instrument. On the other hand, I think we knew we could quit if we absolutely hated it (for example, my brother's three weeks of trombone is still remembered fondly :D).

What I would say is this -- knowing the basics of music is part of being an educated person. If a child wants to pursue piano or another instrument in greater depth, that's wonderful, but up to them. My boys learned to sight-read music so they can sing in parts, and started with piano around age 6. I told them that once they were 13 they could choose to continue or quit, but that by then they would have reached a level of skill where it would be possible to pick it up again as an adult. One of my sons, at age 13, recently "took a break" from violin, guitar, and piano because he's gotten busy with other activities. And frankly, although I enjoyed hearing him play piano, his violin wasn't the greatest -- b/c his ear just can't hear the slight differences in pitch. OTOH my other son, who is 15, is happiest when he's playing violin or viola in an orchestra -- he has played in high-school, community college, and church orchestras this year, as well as three pit orchestras for local ballet & drama productions. He just LOVES it. He has thanked me many times for "making him" start violin in 4th grade -- being able to play reasonably well (he doesn't practice much :D ) has opened a LOT of doors for him. I can't emphasize this enough -- he has found so much joy and camaraderie and his "niche" through music (however amateur) that I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn't "made" him start violin.

Best wishes to you and your children! Music is a wonderful gift you can give your children. Making music is a joy. I myself started cello a few years ago (it certainly helped that I had been playing piano all my life, but a string instrument was a new adventure!) and I am having a blast. Yes, I'll never be very good, but it's so much fun.

And about teachers -- my son has had private teachers, but he enjoyed the group lessons at the local public school the most (they let homeschoolers participate), in particular the performances twice a year in the local gym :001_smile:. Something about the buzz of being in a show. If he had taken lessons only from a private teacher or a home-based program, he wouldn't have realized he loves that excitement. It certainly makes practice more meaningful if there's a goal. I know there are good home-based programs, but we gave up pretty soon with me teaching them piano, b/c our personalities clashed and we didn't have continuity. I shudder to add up what I've paid teachers over the past 8 or 9 years, but it's worth every penny. But anyway, if you do go with private or home-based instruction, try to look for performance opportunities -- maybe at a homeschool talent show or holiday party? -- or just getting together with other kids to "jam." (It helps to have someone in charge, however.)

Anyway, best wishes!

~Laura

I think that basic musical literacy is important. What I mean by that is a basic ability to read music - rhythm and melody. And a basic ability to appreciate the basic musical styles and their forms. I love music and have always sung and played music for the kids. It has been natural to incorporate musical games into our school at a young age. And it has been natural to teach them to play the recorder and then an instrument of their choice (classical guitar for ds13, piano for dd9). I don't think that recitals are important, though both kids have sung with me (duets and trios) at church.

I have certain skills/areas I feel are required to be a well-trained mind in the area of music.

1) Thorough knowledge of and understanding of European and American musical styles, periods, and composers and how they relate to other areas of history and have influenced history.

2) Knowledge of and understanding of world music from a range of cultures, with awareness and appreciation as to how this has influenced World history and Western music.

3) Music reading, up to and including sight singing melodies within the individual's singing range, and sight-playing melodies on a single line or keyboard instrument, to a level that allows lifetime social music making opportunities.

4) Understanding of basic harmonization and ability to play a basic harmonization on a chording instrument or keyboard, to a level that allows lifetime social music making opportunities.

5) Understanding of basic music forms and structures, and recognize same by sound.

6) Perform music individually and in a group, on voice and instrument, to a level that allows lifetime music making opportunities.

7) Understanding of the psychology of music and how music can be and is used as a tool to influence human minds.

I don't really care HOW my daughter meets these goals, but if she has not reached them by the time she finishes high school, I will not feel that I have successfully educated her in this area-even if she's a virtuoso pianist.

I think far too many music programs and parents tend to focus on performance-but leave out the understanding of the history, culture, and psychology of music. I admit, though-I'm biased-one of my degrees is musicology.

For my kids, they're very important. Academics come very easy for them and this gives them something they really have to work at in a piece meal way. They are definitely mandatory for my kids and I consider music a big part of our schooling experience.

Definitely. The music stuff gets priority over anything else for scheduling typically. They actually need to do music and one "sport" activity. Sometimes they have more going on. We have many, many activities on the books right now. But music is always a constant.

3) At what age to start?

My son started piano at 5 1/2. My daughter started violin at 4. The younger they start, the more parental involvement that is required for a successful experience. It really is about coming back to the instrument day after day. My kids actually started kindermusik at one, so that was a great set up for private lessons. Suzuki is a great approach/philosophy for younger kids. But the parental commitment required is large. I would in general say that unless you are committed to the process as a parent, you shouldn't commit to lessons until your kids are asking for them.

Absolutely. I can see the lessons learned from music in many other areas in their life. I can see listening skills being built, teamwork comes into play at times, learning to take constructive criticism, learning to work at something over and over, working with a mentor. Music study at our house crosses into history and art at times. I think many important life skills can be reinforced through musical study.

A good teacher that is experienced with young kids will make recital/performance opportunities light and fun, especially the early ones. Learning to be confident in front of a crowd of people and presenting your hard work for them is definitely one of the up sides of music lessons for my kids. And now both my kids absolutely clamor to perform. They love it. If it's presented in the right way at the right age, it can be a great thing.

I would say if you want to teach your kids music appreciation, some basic theory, you can definitely do it on your own. If you really want them to learn piano, I would recommend a teacher. I know a number of people who tried to switch to a teacher after starting their own child and had a very hard time. Often teachers have a very specific view of how technique should be taught and switching over to a teacher can be painful. My son has had 3 different piano teachers and even those transitions were very painful.

Very important. They are our highest priority behind academics.

Yes.

3) At what age to start?

Suzuki lessons begin at 3 years old.

Yes. They are developing a work ethic and discipline.

5) Are recitals vital?

Yes. We take any opportunity to perform because children do their very best in front of an audience.

We have only used live teachers so I can't speak to online or homeschool programs. We love our teacher. My concern with online programs is the instant feedback necessary when learning an instrument. How does an online program provide this? For example, correcting hand position.

Wow, you are all inspiring me so much. I am totally on board with them having music lessons (and I am trying to find art lessons too seeing as I can barely manage a stick figure) while I will do the appreciation/history part of it. Some of you mentioned methods, and while searching for piano teachers here in San Antonio, I came across this method and wanted to see if anyone had heard of or used this theory. DH definitely wants them to take 2 years of piano and then either stick with it or move on to a string instrument. I think he envisions our own tiny little quartet eventually.

I'll be the odd one out. We do music appreciation in our hs, but there hasn't been any interest in taking lessons by any of the kids. They are all gym rats:) With the cost of gymnastics, something they are passionate about, we can't even afford music lessons if we wanted. So, in our case, I want to expose my children to music history,etc., but don't plan on pushing them to take lessons.

Very! It's non-negotiable.

Yes, indeed I would.

3) At what age to start?

4 For a while I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not but now I'm glad.

Well, the jury is still out on that. It's a part of something she really loves to do but how it shaped her future is hard to say at 11.

IMHO, recitals are not vital. Some years she does recital, some years not. She does, however, play in a group at a pub and does fiddle contests.

I think a tchr is necessary.

So, in our case, I want to expose my children to music history,etc., but don't plan on pushing them to take lessons.
:iagree:

My mom forced my sister and I to take piano lessons for years. I hated them. I wanted to take dance lessons instead.

As an adult, I would love to learn to play an instrument but I can.not. figure out how to read music for anything. I'm teaching myself Latin and Greek, so I know I am capable of learning - but I still cannot get music. My son's music instructor thinks I put up a mental block, since I was forced into lessons as a child.

Now, in our case, music lessons have been the absolute best thing ever for our son. He has been very musical from a young age. I included a great deal of music history and appreciation into our schooling, but could not supply instruction that he desired. We searched for an instrument together (electric guitar) and found an awesome teacher. DS loves music lessons and we are not "pushing" him to practice or learn new pieces. With DS taking outsourced lessons, it has eliminated the stress I was feeling over not "fulfilling" his music interests.

Music lessons are important, I think, to the degree that the child is interested. If it is an ordeal for the child, it probably is counterproductive.

If a child were interested, then - Yes, I would sacrifice other activities for music lessons.

DS hasn't been interested in doing recitals, though he will invite friends over to listen and he 'cut' a CD to send to his grandparents recently.

In our family, music instruction is purely interest based. Dd12 took piano on and off for a couple of years. She's in a 'break' period but is talking about returning to lessons.

FWIW, dd18 didn't have a positive experience with being forced to have music lessons. Her dad (my ex) is a musician and didn't give her an option. She couldn't wait to stop, just because it was a control issue. I find that so sad because she plays quite well. She hasn't touched her viola in 3 years.

I think that basic musical literacy is important. What I mean by that is a basic ability to read music - rhythm and melody. And a basic ability to appreciate the basic musical styles and their forms. I love music and have always sung and played music for the kids. It has been natural to incorporate musical games into our school at a young age.

:iagree:

I am encouraging my kids to be interested in music, but not pushing them to choose an instrument to play. I've been teaching them to read notes and play the recorder, but unless they express an interest in a specific instrument, I won't make them take any extra lessons.

I was forced to take piano lessons for 7 years, and while I can read basic music, I really don't have any talent for the piano, and can't play well at all.

I think music lessons for me are very important. I started at 12, but only really got into it at 15 and I am enjoying it so much!!!! I am probably going to major in msic, so it is very important that I practice everyday and try my best. I am getting better and I am not going to give up ever!

I would highly consider music lessons with a private teacher.

I will preface my answers with the fact that I've been a piano Mom for 15-16 years. I think orchestral instruments are easily picked up later than the age of five. These are "social" instruments. Piano is best started early. It can be a social instrument, but it is typically a solo adventure and longer hours of practice.

Music lessons are very important.

No.

3) At what age to start?

We started piano at age 5.

Yes! Son#1 needed to have one place where he could learn to focus and work hard on a daily schedule. Son#2 learned the same thing, but he transferred this to playing baseball. Knowing how to perform on stage at a young age in front of a large audience helped him keep his composure on the pitching mound when many of his fellow pitchers just could not take the attention of all eyes on them.

Yes! In my opinion, learning how to practice for a recital is different than just practicing for a lesson. The student must not only know their piece, but they must also learn how to play beyond just this point and play for artistry. Even young children can do this. Starting young helps kids get past the nervousness of playing for an audience before self-consciousness sets in during the tween years.

I value the interaction my kids get with another adult. Even after 15-16 years of shepherding my kids through their daily piano lessons, I never studied piano as a child so my skills are not great enough to teach the subtle nuances of piano to my kids.

I agree with everything WildIris responded with above.

We believe music is very important and having a fantastic music teacher is a must for us. We've been spoiled with our teacher.:001_smile: And notice I called her a music teacher and not a piano teacher. She is our piano teacher and only teaches piano (she has about 18 other students and has been doing this all her life) but she truly wants her children to love and appreciate music and the beauty it brings into our lives and the lives of others. We're moving very soon and I truly want to bring her with us to our new state!:D

We started my older dd at 8 and younger dd at 5. We started later with my older dd since we didn't have our piano until then. I would have loved to have started her earlier but I don't think almost 8 (she was actually 7 but was only one month from being 8) was in any way too late.

My dds have gained from playing piano in so many ways. There has been little else to compare with the skills and confidence and virtues they have gained from playing these past years. The understanding that their music is a gift to others as well as themselves has been invaluable. They have learned perserverance (pushing through a piece that has caused much struggle and then smiling with satisfaction when they have accomplished their goals), the ability to present themselves in competition and in being evaluated/judged, the value of balancing time and self-management, and the value of bringing joy to other people through their music. I could go on I think...:lol:

I've made mistakes as a homeschool mom that I wish I could go back and redo, but the music in our lives has been exactly what I hoped and much more.

Wow, you are all inspiring me so much. I am totally on board with them having music lessons (and I am trying to find art lessons too seeing as I can barely manage a stick figure) while I will do the appreciation/history part of it. Some of you mentioned methods, and while searching for piano teachers here in San Antonio, I came across this method and wanted to see if anyone had heard of or used this theory. DH definitely wants them to take 2 years of piano and then either stick with it or move on to a string instrument. I think he envisions our own tiny little quartet eventually.

If you are in San Antonio, there is a Yamaha school there. I've heard good things about that method. http://www.jensensyamahamusic.com/

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are? Very.

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons? I would sacrifice all other activities for music lessons.

3) At what age to start? Depends on the instrument. We started music lessons at a very young age (2 yo) and then transitioned into instryments.

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids? rhythm, discipline, math, logic, an appreciation of beauty and culture...

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform). Not to the music lessons. Recitals are an opportunity to learn another skill set: performance, handling nerves, etc.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well?I think the first choice is lessons with a teacher. I have friends who teach but have other people teach their own dc. It is a great way for dc to learn a specific type of relationship skills. I do think that early music exposure/appreciation can be taught at home, though.

Music is everywhere in our world. My dc's lives have been greatly impacted by understanding and appreciating music and being able to really, fully embrace that. I know also (from reading research and watching them) that their brains are different (better!) for having learned to appreciate and produce music. I started them early in music lessons, and they understand it as part of being in our family. They have each had a month her eor there where they felt like slacking off, but overall they absolutely love the accomplishment, the joy of producing music that is enjoyed by others, etc.

My oldest plays the flute with the local youth symphony, my middle plays piano and clarinet (and wants to add French horn,) and my little guy plays piano. None of them plan to go into anything music related as a career.

Edited by angela in ohio
can apparently only type 'insturment'

The lack of substantial music education with instrument lessons has been our single biggest mistake in educating our children - and, possibly, one of the biggest differences we intend to work on with the next child.

I never found it that important. I found it important to have a basic level of music literacy - the ability to read notes, general familiarity with classical music, the major works and composers and even some structural qualities of those - but nothing which would exceed an hour to two weekly and attending a concert, opera, ballet or something of the kind at least several times yearly, for cultural exposure. I really never thought it was such a big deal, since both DH and I gave up on instruments as children and never felt we were lacking educationally because of that. Because of that, we agreed that music and arts would be simply an area of exposure for the kids and that anything more substantial was offered, but never insisted on.

Looking back, though, we do feel somewhat at loss - not only music does teach valuable lessons which extend far beyond the actual content, but it's also much harder for a child who decides in their t(w)eens to take up an instrument, as was the case with one of our daughters. Ultimately, there will always be a way to learn things later for your own joy, but maybe we should have insisted on music, or at least on kids trying music before they decide it's not for them.

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are? In my family, they are very important.

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons? Yes.

3) At what age to start? One of mine started at age 7, the other at age 10. Lessons began at the request of the individual children.

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids? Yes. One child has become quite accomplished at one instrument, and is becoming proficient at another. The other child is developing musical skill and understanding.

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform). I think so. If the child becomes proficient at his/her instrument, there will be opportunities to perform. Recitals help the child feel comfortable with performing in front of a group. They also emphasize preparation for the performance.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well? I think lessons with a teacher are vital. I cannot see how my wind-instrument-playing child, who takes weekly lessons with a local teacher, would receive the same kind of instruction from a DVD or online program. The teacher gives face-to-face feedback, helps with positioning the instrument, works on trouble areas, tempos, alternate fingerings, trill and embellishment options for specifical genres of music, coaching for auditions, assisting with preparation for upcoming performances...

I don't imagine that the pianist, violinist, etc. would have any different situation. Finger positioning, bow hold, working on challenge areas -- how could a DVD or online program really work with a student on these things?

One more thing about homeschool programs. One of my children played a wind instrument in a homeschool group lesson program. The program admitted new students each quarter, and the continuing students basically started all over again so the new students could "catch up" with them. It was very frustrating for my child. We had this happen in a foreign language class also. In the future, I will never enroll my kids in this type of setup.

My comments in purple, above.

My dh grew up in a home saturated in music, so my answer, by marraige ;) is ...wait for it....essential. Music is more than it's notes.

I did read this today, which may or may not apply to any situation posted on this thread, but which made me weep. (So many good and decent people are everywhere!) :) :

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/27/134057057/free-music-lessons-build-a-priceless-community

Edited by LibraryLover

My daughters are 15,13, and 5. They began traditional (as opposed to Suzuki) style lessons are ages 7,6, and 5. All were separately evaluated by the teacher before they were allowed to start.

Here are a few more questions for you and some answers to the ones you asked.

What are your goals with piano lessons?

We want our daughters to master the instrument.

Why do you want it to be the piano in particular?

We consider the piano the "phonics" of music. Once you learn the piano you can fairly easily learn many other instruments. A student learns to read both clefs, learns to play chords him/herself (not possible on most other instruments-those instruments play one note at a time in a chord with other instruments completing the chord.) Pianists can solo or accompany other instruments (most other instruments cannot do this.)The highest and lowest ranges of notes can be learned (most other instruments have a shorter range of notes.) Some music theory is more concretely learned on the piano compared to other instruments.

What level of proficiency are you expecting your child to achieve?

We want our children to be fluent in piano. That means being able to pick up most piano music and being able to play it very well. To achieve this we an expect a minimum of 10 years of weekly lessons 9-10 months a year, an hour of practice a day a minimum of 5 days a week. It also means studying music theory (something conspicuously absent in most private piano lessons these days) systematically on a regular basis. We want our girls to be able to easily transition to college level music classes if they are interested.

Music is very similar to learning to read a language. If you want to read fluently you're going to have to have the long view and learn to master decoding and comprehension at a higher level. If you just want your child to be able to read cute little readers you won't have to invest as much time and energy, but your child will be limited in what (s)he can read.

What do you think your role is in practice?

Many parents start children out on an instrument to "see if they're really interested." That's fine, but understand that most advanced musicians did not fall in love with an instrument right away and have a burning desire to practice daily without being told to do so. If you are not committed to requiring your child to practice daily, odds are your child won't.

I have been asked more than once, "How do you get your kids to practice?' I answer with the question, "How do you get your kids to brush their teeth?" It's in the same "not optional" category for us.

If you really want your child to do this, then you should figure out a regular practice time. Ours practice as part of school. Make sure it's not when your child is doing other things or when you have the child doing chores. It may take a little adjusting at first to figure out when a good time is. That way you only have to decide on practice time once as opposed to deciding (and possibly debating) every day.

Recitals

I think it's important for a child to learn to play in front of people. A good teacher will give a child PLENTY of time to master the piece. Ours requires the child to memorize it before the recital but allows the children who prefer it to use their music during the recital.

Teachers

I think it's vital to have a really good teacher. (Don't go with just nay teacher when you could pay the same money for a really good one.) It's very easy to be unaware of bad habits and misunderstanding a concept as a student. Teachers can also customize the child's learning. Some children need more practice with a new concept before moving to the next while others will be bored when they learn it quickly.

For Life

Music is great for brain development-especially when theory is included. It's can opportunity to be expressive and creative. It opens doors for collaborative efforts (ensembles.) It can be used to minister to others (church accompaniment, church solos, and entertaining the elderly.) It can be income (weddings, teaching lessons, employment, scholarships.) It can teach a work ethic, long term gratification, and persistence with literally beautiful pay offs.

Like some of the other posters, music falls right behind math and language arts but this is because my kids have a high interest in it. I had each of my kids pick the instrument they wanted to play then provided them lessons. I thought it was important for them to learn an instrument, though the actual instrument was not important to me.

We have sacrificed a lot for music...not because of my ideas of its importance but because of my children's interest. If their interest were not so high, it would just be another thing they do rather than the all consuming activity it has become.

3) At what age to start?

My kids have started as young at 3yo on violin and at 6yo for guitar and 9yo on drums. I took piano for about 10 years, though I don't play very well...didn't like to practice. I started at 8yo.

There have been many benefits to the kids because of music. They have learned to be in front of an audience, worked through perfectionist issues, learned the benefit of practice and hard work in achieving any goal they might have, and they actually now make a little money playing. We have had wonderful times as a family travelling for their music, spending time together practicing, attending music camps, listening to them play and taking them to hear others play, and met some wonderful people who have become friends as a result of their involvement with music. They will each have a skill they can teach to others or use to make money later in life and even if it isn't used for monetary benefit, they will have the skill for their own stress relief and happiness.

I completely understand your issue here. I hated to perform which is probably why practicing was never something I looked forward to. My kids love performing and recitals/performances are vital to them because they love to do it. They started very young so it just became something they did and I think they inherited some outgoing gene from my husband that I do not possess. I don't think recitals are necessarily vital to the learning of an instrument but they do provide kids an outlet for their music and an opportunity to see what other kids are doing which may motivate them or interest them in different pieces. Many times my dd has heard another, older musician play and made that piece her goal or been motivated to practice to be like that person.

There may be some instruments that are more easily self-taught. I would never recommend violin without a teacher because bad habits learned early and practiced well are difficult to break and I suppose the same would be true with piano.

Edited by Donna

Growing up we had both an organ and a piano in our house. I watched my older sisters learn how to play the organ and really really wanted to learn how to play too. Then they started in band, one learned the saxaphone and the other the trumpet. Finally I was deemed old enough to take lessons (I was probably about 9 when they started). After a month or so I absolutely HATED it. Cried, whined fussed my mom wouldn't let me quit. I had to take at least 3 years of piano or organ (my choice). Choir in grades 6-8 band in grades 6-8 and then choir for 9-12. Those were my mom's rules (which I didn't know when I was little and wanted to take lessons). I did manage to get out of choir in high school by taking band (which was only marginally better).

To this day I HATE music. Not only do I refuse to play or sing anything, I can't stand listening to it. Hubby loves listening to music but he either has to use headphones or listen at work.

So. While it's okay to encourage a child to try out music and maybe keep it up for a year (just to encourage persistence) but I would never ever force a child to take music lessons if they don't want to. I even wanted to but quickly learned it wasn't for me and it has totally turned me off of music for life. I'm not sure I would even let me kids take lessons if they wanted to because it would truly drive me batty to have to listen to them practice. I'm very thankfully that so far no was asked to learn anything and I won't ever mention it as a possibility.

Being forced into and for long term had the totally opposite result from the one my mom was trying to instill. It still bugs her how much I hate music but I tell her it's her own fault.

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are? very important

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons? because of a full schedule or lack of money? I would remove something else from the schedule if necessary. I am not sure what kind of financial priority to place on it, but the fact that your husband considers it important is an indicator.

3) At what age to start? We started at age 4, but it depends on your kids' interests and the teacher. Some teachers prefer kids to be older and won't work with younger kids.

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids? I think they are great for confidence, brain development, etc.

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform). No but they can be a very good experience and really motivate the child to do his best. Try not to project your anxiety about this onto your kids and they may surprise you! And if they don't want to do the recitals, at least they'll have an understanding parent. The only issue I can think of is if a teacher requires them but I doubt that -- you're the one paying for the lessons so you should be able to decide if recitals are optional. My sons have always done recitals unless they conflicted with sports events or family trips. They are not the end all be all IMO.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well? You could probably start with a home program for some fun exposure, but a teacher will be needed to get very far. At least I know *I* could not try to teach piano myself, and I usually am willing to give anything a try! My mother plays and she tried to teach me at home and it was a dismal failure. A friend of mine is a piano teacher and she can't teach her own kids either... I'm sure this is not true across the board but given that you had a bad experience yourself, I would be wary.

My kids started with Yamaha Children's Music School -- group keyboard classes. After 4 years of that then they started private lessons with a teacher that comes to our home. The group classes made was a very fun way for them to learn, no dragon teachers or uncomfortable sitting for a half hour lesson at a young age and it gave them an incredible start. The parents are in the classes too. You might want to look into that if there is a school near you.

Knowing how to perform on stage at a young age in front of a large audience helped him keep his composure on the pitching mound when many of his fellow pitchers just could not take the attention of all eyes on them.

This never occurred to me before. My son has been in some very pressure filled pitching situations and he has never cracked up on the mound, unlike almost all of his teammates. I wondered where he got this from (certainly not from me!!!) and maybe the piano recitals since age 4 helped him learn to keep his cool out there.

Younger son starts pitching this year, we'll see if the same holds true for him! :)

Also to the OP, the younger you start with this kind of thing the better -- as in when they are too young too even realize they should be nervous!

Very important!!

No, but we're sort of crazy with the extra-curriculars so I'd find a way to fit it in.

3) At what age to start?

DD started at 6.5. DS will probably start around the same time.

It's given her more of an appreciation for when she hears others playing music. Or when she hears classical music.

DD doesn't do recitals. I don't think they're important as long as they're getting to show off what they've learned to you or someone whose opinion they value and get some positive feedback.

We started doing piano lessons at home and it was a miserable failure, LOL! So, for us personally, having a teacher is vital.

Hope this helps!

3) At what age to start?

1) Vital to us. (Not piano per se, but some instrument) I don't think it's vital for everyone, but for us, it is vital.

2) Absolutely. Do it all the time. Choosing one thing always means choosing NOT to do something else. This is life. We sacrafice A LOT for music. It is 100% worth it.

3) 3 or 4

4) Absolutely. Hugely.

My kids have learned patience, perseverence, hard work, diligence, etc. . . They experience the progress that results in long term consistent effort. Music can't be hurried. You must learn little by little every day.

They've had great social/emotional experiences. Experiencing successes due to their long term, consistent, hard effort.

They have had earned failures, too. The lessons when their respected teacher gives them the what-for for poor effort/practicing. Deserved every time, and the what-for results in renewed effort. These failures are very important to their growth.

They've had performances when they 'messed up' but still won the contest! They learned that making an error was not the end of the world. That making a mistake did not ruin their performance, that the big picture was what mattered. In these experiences, they learned that their ability to stay focused on doing their best despite an 'oops' moment allowed them to succeed despite their error. Big lessons there.

They've had lots of good social experiences. Through group classes, orchestras, chamber groups, etc. Also informally through jam sessions, etc. Super fun. All my kids primarily study classical music, but they've branched out into old time, rock, etc. Super fun, lots of great social experiences. When the kids get together with friends, they are often playing tunes together. What a nice passtime!! (A lot better than wii!!)

They've earned money! LOL, this is a rarity for kids I am sure, but my olders both earn significant money gigging and in contests. Although we spend a lot more on music than they earn, it is still very valuable for them to have job that they earn $40-150/hr for! It should be very good part time jobs through schooling, even if they don't continue doing it for pay as adults. Sure is more fun & educational than most teen jobs. :)

5) Yes. Performing publicly is one of the great benefits. Teaches confidence, calm, focus, and give kids sth to focus on perfecting a piece, which is very hard for kids.

6) A real live teacher is a must. Other stuff can complement, but having a real live teacher is vital.

Originally Posted by jenr viewpost.gif

Important, for many reasons. Some of the most beneficial reasons are that learning to play an instrument requires learned patience and problem-solving. Reading music is akin to learning a foreign language, especially if you venture into other instruments that require the different clefs.

If it was baseball, no.:tongue_smilie: It would depend on what the end goal is. I would like my kids to learn to play as part of being well-rounded individuals.

3) At what age to start?

Most studies say the earlier, the better. I learned to play both organ and piano at a young age. I did not stay with it, but can still pull out the sheet music and play if I want to. I played percussion all through high school and college. I still have fun with it occasionally.

N/A. I know that my own piano teacher was quite mean, but I did learn to play.

5) Are recitals vital?

Yes, and no. Recitals give a chance for students to build their confidence, learn from mistakes, and present themselves in a professional manner in public. If you have a shy child, there really isn't a need to force him/her to participate until he/she is ready. I know that sometimes it is just as beneficial to sit in the audience at a recital and watch the other performers.

There are great teachers and bad teachers. If the teacher does not have the same heart and goal as you do for your child, it is not going to be a good match. There are lots of wonderful self-teaching programs out there. It is most definitely a personal decision. If there is not an experienced musician in the family, I would recommend starting off with some basic lessons and see how it progresses from there.

Both of my daughters play piano and violin.

-It's very important in our family. There's math, grammar work, then music. Those things must get done everyday.

-I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice other classes. The only other class that's as important is fencing.

-Mine started at maybe.. 6 and 8?

-Hmm.. did it ever do anything for my kids? Interesting question.. I guess to some degree, it gave them an identity. They are musicians.

-I think recitals are important. They only do them for violin, and it's always with other kids. They play the piano (and violin) at all family get togethers as well. Both my girls have Tourettes, so sometimes it's hard to tell if I make things too easy for them, (as far as not challenging them to do things that can be rewarding but might set off their tics). Recitals are something they can conquer and feel pretty good about when it's all over. At home we all like to sing along to the music, or do "interpretive dance" (:D), and yes we bust out the opera voice too. The recitals are only once a year, I want them to feel comfortable sharing the fun and the emotion of the music on a daily basis.

-Our family is full of musicians, and my husband's business is in the music industry. But, there was no way they were going to learn from dad or grandma, or anyone else related. They have great relationships especially with their piano teacher. He's got soul, and he gives rich music lessons. It's an important relationship in their lives.

We didn't do organized sports (except summer swim team), scouting, or other extracurriculars, but we have invested time and money in music. With seven kids, three play violin, two viola, one piano, one cello, and a budding musician on the recorder :). When they were young (elementary age) we started with lessons. By middle school all were playing in orchestras. Our three older girls have played on worship teams as well and consider their music to be part of who they are.

So, here are my answers:

1) How important do you think piano (or other music) lessons are? Very. Our goal was to give the kids musical skills they could carry into adulthood.

2) Would you sacrifice some other activity to have your child take these lessons? Yes, and we have.

3) At what age to start? Most started around 7 or 8.

4) Did the lessons ever "do" anything for your kids? Definitely. Without the lessons they would not have grown as musicians. There have been times, like right now, that we can't afford lessons, so their orchestra participation has to suffice. They may not substantially progress without lessons, but they are practicing and playing regularly.

5) Are recitals vital? (this is what really bothered me about the thought of lessons after the organ fiasco and why I refused...I wanted to learn to play but didn't want to perform). Not at all. I think it depends on the child. Some kids are motivated by performance. For mine playing in an orchestra, with an ensemble, or on a music team has added substantially to their enjoyment.

6) Do you think actual lessons with a teacher are needed or are there some online/homeschool programs that do just as well? I can't imagine that an online program could take the place of a real live teacher.

Let us know where you land with this!

Very. I think it's an important part of a good education.

Yes. We don't do high cost sports (gymnastics, swimming) to have room in the budget for piano.

3) At what age to start?

I've heard to start when they can read pretty well. Mine started piano at 7 and just shy of 6 (but reading well - Stewart Little, etc.).

Yes. For us, as Christians, we believe music should praise God. So music lessons have given then another way to praise our Savior. Since my husband and I are patently useless with musical instruments - it's helped out whole family to be able to enjoy the hymns of our faith more fully. Lesson have also helped them to learn about consistency, diligence, sticking with something that's hard, the rewards of sticking with something hard, and being challenged. I have one who is rarely challenged, so having a teacher who weekly stretches him is a great thing!

5) Are recitals vital?

Yes, for us they are. As Christians, our gifts were given to us to share with others. So, if playing at a nursing home would bless others - they will play. If helping out in church would help someone - they will play. If being in a recital is a way to show honor to our teacher and get ready to be able to comfortably play in church at an older age - they will play. For us, it's about sharing and making others comfortable.

I am IN.COM.PE.TENT with music. Awful. This is our 3rd year in lessons and we've had 3 teachers. The first moved after year 1, the second wasn't a great fit (though we used her for a year), and the third is an angel sent from God. Really. She's AMAZING. The difference in my kid's playing and music reading is insane. They LOVE her. She works them HARD and just loves them. She's a retired 4th grade teacher so she is great at keeping my wiggly but very talented boy in check. TIGHTLY. I drop them off for their lessons and then pick them up an hour and a half later. It's so worth it to pay more and have that time to myself. She has them learn hymns, do recitals, and play WELL before moving on to the next lesson. It's great. So, my long winded answer is YES - a great teacher is an amazing resource and one that's worth the trial and error of finding!