Menu

VENT...Is it just me or does anyone else cannot stand Kindles, Nooks, E-Readers??

I am very dissapointed to hear that Borders is going out of business.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way I could ever read a book from a Kindle, Nook, whatever they are called. I certainly hope this is not going to be a thing of the future, and REAL books a thing of the past.

I love browsing through bookstores. Getting books, and cracking them open The SMELL of books(okay, weird..but....:lol:)...........

Sitting in a comfy chair, reading a book or reading aloud to a child. Who does that with a Kindle?????

I am so sad that those things ever came around.

I really, really hope that bookstores and libraries will not be a thing of the past.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen, sista :D I thought I was the only one. I LOVE curling up with a physical book. I know the readers are "convenient", can store a lot without taking up much room, but they just don't have appeal to me! I love going to the library, I love going to bookstores! I agree with you on the smell, love the "smell" of books..I will NEVER give them up..lol!

I have a kindle and I still love going to the bookstore and going to the library and checking out books. I have a stack of library books sitting next to me right now.

I have a newspaper subscription that I read on my kindle everyday. I probably buy 1 book a month unless I am going on vacation and then I may splurge on 3 or 4 book downloads.

I haven't read much about the trouble with Borders, but what I have read hasn't linked their trouble to ereaders. Do you have links about that connection?

I remain torn on the issue of ereaders. Like you, I love the feel of books, I love bookstores, I love libraries. I don't want to see any of those things go away.

And yet, ereaders increase the number of books available by allowing authors to bypass the traditional publishing industry and put their books directly in the hands of readers. So although physical books might be fewer, written works are increasing.

Likewise, ereaders make available books that were in print but are no longer being printed. I could pay an arm and a leg for a used paperback of a light-read mystery series I discovered, or I can download an electronic copy for $2.99. And often authors make the same amount of money on a $2.99 ebook as they do on a hardcover printed book.

So, I'm torn. I have concerns, but I can see advantages of ereaders and ebooks as well, for both authors and readers.

I haven't read much about the trouble with Borders, but what I have read hasn't linked their trouble to ereaders. Do you have links about that connection?

I remain torn on the issue of ereaders. Like you, I love the feel of books, I love bookstores, I love libraries. I don't want to see any of those things go away.

And yet, ereaders increase the number of books available by allowing authors to bypass the traditional publishing industry and put their books directly in the hands of readers. So although physical books might be fewer, written works are increasing.

Likewise, ereaders make available books that were in print but are no longer being printed. I could pay an arm and a leg for a used paperback of a light-read mystery series I discovered, or I can download an electronic copy for $2.99. And often authors make the same amount of money on a $2.99 ebook as they do on a hardcover printed book.

So, I'm torn. I have concerns, but I can see advantages of ereaders and ebooks as well, for both authors and readers.

:iagree: What she said.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I don't know about the rest of you, but there is no way I could ever read a book from a Kindle, Nook, whatever they are called. I certainly hope this is not going to be a thing of the future, and REAL books a thing of the past.

I love browsing through bookstores. Getting books, and cracking them open The SMELL of books(okay, weird..but....:lol:)...........

Sitting in a comfy chair, reading a book or reading aloud to a child. Who does that with a Kindle?????

I really, really hope that bookstores and libraries will not be a thing of the past.

Amen, sista :D I thought I was the only one. I LOVE curling up with a physical book. I know the readers are "convenient", can store a lot without taking up much room, but they just don't have appeal to me! I love going to the library, I love going to bookstores! I agree with you on the smell, love the "smell" of books..I will NEVER give them up..lol!

:iagree:

DH tried to get me a kindle/nook for Christmas but I refused. I don't want to read a book from a computer thingee... I've tried to read books on my computer and I HATE it. I've played with the kindle-type things before and I just don't like it.

I need the feel and the smell of a real book.

I got one this week and I'll admit I don't care for them either but I do see where they have their place. I got mine so I could take advantage of the sale Yesterday's Classics was having to own their collection of 225 books as ebooks for $99.00. I already had 10 of those books in my RR wishlist to buy for next year (cost was in and around $100 just for those 10) so it made good economic sense to get them as ebooks (there were more titles I wanted but was holding back due to cost). I know I can read those books for free on mainlesson.com but the one thing I like even less than an eReader is reading off a computer.

I'm also finding an absolute ton of books that are on my "want to read" list that are available for free so I can see how having an eReader will save me some money (and bookshelf space). I'm currently almost maxed out on bookshelf space- I only have room for one more in my house before I will need to start boxing up and rotating books. Likely 1/2 of the new shelf will be filled by the time I'm done getting my materials for next year so the more I can get for free as eBooks, the better.

That all said, if there's a book I want and it's not free for my eReader, I will buy the print version- I just can't see myself paying for an eBook. I don't care for it and much prefer holding a real book. In fact, all our school books for next year will be print- I'm not even looking to see if any of them come in electronic format.

My kids, OTOH, seem to prefer the novelty of the eReader and I can see the advantage to my dd having one so she can have multiple books with her when we go out (she likes to have several on the go at a time). I never get to read when I'm out of the house because I always have someone under 2 with me and I can't ever take my eye off them.

My days of spending lots of money on real books is far from over, even if we do have an eReader in the house.:tongue_smilie: I can't say that I can't stand it, but I most certainly don't prefer it at all.

Edited by plain jane

I didn't think I wanted a kindle either. My brother in law got me one for Christmas. He was so excited to watch me open it! It was an extravagent gift and one I never expected. (I think he got a deal from his work.)

I love bookstores. My first paycheck ever went to a glorious 100 year old copy of Folk Tales. I have books in every room of my house. I love the smell, the feel, the ideas.....

But, I love my kindle. I love the convenience of sticking it in my bag and it being able to hold stories I can read to the kiddos if we're stuck somewhere AND a book for me at soccer practice or the TKD studio.

Yes, I could bring those books with me, but, man, that kindle is light!

I never thought I would want one, either. My mom bought me one for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it. I do cuddle up with the kids on the couch and read to them from it. I also use the library for many books, but if I need a book right away the kindle is great!

I didn't think I wanted a kindle either. My brother in law got me one for Christmas. He was so excited to watch me open it! It was an extravagent gift and one I never expected. (I think he got a deal from his work.)

I love bookstores. My first paycheck ever went to a glorious 100 year old copy of Folk Tales. I have books in every room of my house. I love the smell, the feel, the ideas.....

But, I love my kindle. I love the convenience of sticking it in my bag and it being able to hold stories I can read to the kiddos if we're stuck somewhere AND a book for me at soccer practice or the TKD studio.

I don't really want one either, but I've put one on the list. I am a book nut and that will never change. However I often buy two copies of books for lit for ds and me. Many of those books are available as free e-books. I think ds would like the technology of reading like they do in Star Trek. I'll keep my real copy with bent pages and notes in the margin though.

Now we just can't decide which device to get. I want a dedicated e-reader with e-ink and dh things it's better to get a tablet so it can do other things. Another reason I like books, it's a book, it's not designed to do other things. You just read it, that's its purpose. Okay maybe you can stack them and make a decorative arrangement. I don't want my ds to have the capability to do 140 other things while reading, kwim.

I love my Kindle! The other day a friend handed me 3 hardcover books that she thought I'd enjoy. They do look like books I would like to read, but as I put them in the car I was thinking how bulky they were, and wondering where I should store them until I get around to reading them. :001_smile:

Since I've had my ereader, I've discovered many independent and self published authors whose work I enjoy. They wouldn't have been able to sell their books in a big store, but they can sell electronic versions.

Borders has been in a war with B&N and Amazon for some time now, and it started before the ereaders became popular. They've been in a slow decline for about 3 years. It was their business practices that put them out of business, not ereaders. Also, big box bookstores put independent bookstores out of business long ago, so I don't think they deserve our sympathy (although I do feel sorry for those who will lose their jobs).

I don't think it has to be an either/or kind of thing. I love real books, but I also just love reading. I used to always carry at least a paperback in my purse, but now I have books on my iPod Touch and my Kobo. E-books will never replace books for me. It's just an additional resource to fuel my reading addiction.

I think Amazon, and Borders "business plan", had a much larger role in Borders demise than e-readers. I have a Kobo, which was supposed to be Borders' e-reader. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Kindle and Nook have, which is why I love it :D, but many others may not.

Now we just can't decide which device to get. I want a dedicated e-reader with e-ink and dh things it's better to get a tablet so it can do other things. Another reason I like books, it's a book, it's not designed to do other things. You just read it, that's its purpose. Okay maybe you can stack them and make a decorative arrangement. I don't want my ds to have the capability to do 140 other things while reading, kwim.

I chose a Kobo because it is *totally* a dedicated e-reader, preloaded with 100 classics. No distractions like games or web browsing. It does have wi-fi for purchasing books, but no web browser. I prefer the e-ink technology over tablet devices that are back lit because it's much easier on my eyes.

I am also torn. I LOVE having lots of books in my home. I love looking at the covers, seeing them on the shelved just ready to be enjoyed! However, dh travels a bit and he has mentioned seeing a TON of travelers with Kindles or iPads (mostly iPads) and how convenient they look. He really wants one. I admit that I would love an iPad, too. I can see the convenience factor. Lots and lots of books on one easy-to-tote e-reader. Great for traveling. It's like a take-along library! :D I know I would still keep my at home library, though. For the kids especially.

I am a book lover and love "paper" books but my dh and I are unequally yoked in this department :). So the kindle is our compromise. I buy books on my kindle that are likely to be one time reads and still buy hard copy books that become part of our library . . . i.e. books I want to share with my kids or reference books.

Our house is small with limited free space. (For some reason my dh doesn't agree that stacks of books lying around make a home, homey.)

Another advantage is maybe best felt by those of us living in rural/remote areas. I can read right away rather than wait a couple weeks for delivery.

So, I do love my kindle but I still buy books and still use the library. I don't see my kindle as a replacement but as a supplement. (My dh, reading over my shoulder laughed at the word supplement and said "you mean you still buy books and you have a kindle that's why we need more bookshelves".)

I travel a couple of weekends a month with my boys, and I was always hauling around tons of books.

Now, I just take my Nook. I love it. And yes, of course you can snuggle up in a chair and read outloud to a child from it.

One thing I really appreciate is that Nooks are clean. I know it sounds trivial, but I have severe dust allergies. I am planning to move all of my books out of my bedroom and just keep the Nook there. Sure, there are things I have in paper that I will never get rid of. I have many books, and always will. But I do pay a price for them in terms of dust/sneezing.

Anyway, for a man who travels, if he wants a Nook or Kindle, I would get him one. It's made a great change for the better in my life. But I still love paper books too.

I read too fast to use one - I would need to enlarge the text (old eyes) so there would be even less to read on each page and would get too impatient with clicking to turn pages. I can read faster with a book. Plus it is easier to balance a book against the large white cat that climbs onto my lap when I sit in the comfy chair to read. :-) Am not sure he would get as much satisfaction rubbing his chin and ears against an e-reader, either.

I read too fast to use one - I would need to enlarge the text (old eyes) so there would be even less to read on each page and would get too impatient with clicking to turn pages. I can read faster with a book. Plus it is easier to balance a book against the large white cat that climbs onto my lap when I sit in the comfy chair to read. :-) Am not sure he would get as much satisfaction rubbing his chin and ears against an e-reader, either.

Well I have to tell you that my 20 pound lap dog still jumps onto my lap when I'm reading and my 80 pound Bernese Mountain Dog does try to rub her chin on my reader :).

There is no substitute for paper but there is a place for the technology. Maybe not for everyone but definitely for some.

(I read fast too and have not felt hung up by clicking to turn the pages.)

:iagree:

To me, there is nothing more comforting than curling up in a big comfy chair with a cup of tea and a good book. Books have a distinctive smell and feel, and I find my eyes go a bit funny if I read off a screen for too long anyway!

It may be controversial to say so, and perhaps it's down to my own experiences, but I do feel that technology prompts one to be more selfish.

Edited by Hedgehog

I think Borders' problem was more likely online book sellers, not e-books. Why buy at Borders when you can get it at Amazon.com for much less, shipped to your door in two days? For example, there's an app on my Android phone that lets me zap the bar code of a book in a bookstore and instantly order the title from Amazon. I still "need" to buy some books immediately :D, but I've bought quite a few used for $.01 plus shipping with the Amazon app.

Our Borders is surviving by making smart use of their cafe (it's always packed,) book clubs, great personal service, a huge magazine and newspaper section, etc. They can't compete for price, so bricks and mortar book stores will have to find other ways to make themselves needed.

Dh bought me a Kindle for Valentine's Day. I wasn't sure I wanted one, but ultimately, dc and I have many, many OOP books we want to read that we just can't get. Now we can get them for free through Gutenberg, Amazon, etc. It will never replace real books, and we certainly have many of those (I've bought at least a dozen real books in the week I've had my Kindle, even,) but the Kindle adds something extra.

:iagree::iagree: My sentiments exactly. I also travel a lot, and spend the summer elsewhere. I used to have to bring a plastic storage tub full of books (summer), and a separate, rolling suitcase of books (traveling). Now, upon leaving my house I just slip my Kindle into my purse. While I still love my books, and have many, many bookcases full of them, I've also come to appreciate my Kindle. Did I say appreciate? I mean "love"... :D

I didn't think I would like an e-reader but I got a Kindle for Christmas and I love it! I can take multiple books with me everywhere - in my purse! When we went to the beach last fall I had 2 backpacks filled with books to read - now I could take so many more books, and in a fraction of the space. Of course, 3 of those books were Harry Potter which are not available in ebook format which is a shame since they are very cumbersome to carry around.

I am able to bookmark a page in my Kindle and don't have to worry about my youngest pulling it out! I am able to type a few notes about a book or paragraph and can go back and delete or edit it later - if I write a note in a paper book, it's there forever, regardless of whether or not I'd want it to be! And that keeps me from making notes in my paper books in the first place!

As for Borders, if they did to other stores what they did to the ones in our area, it's not surprising they are losing money. It used to be a few years ago that when my group of hs moms had a Night Out we would end up at Borders. Then they took out the majority of the kids chapter books and replaced it with a huge section of teen junk books and anime'. Then they took out the majority of the kids' picture books and replaced it with toys. We couldn't walk in and browse for worthwhile books anymore, so we stopped going. It's a shame.

The only thing that concerns me about my Kindle is that if we are going to have times where electricity is hard to come by/prohibitively expensive (I've been reading those threads, too LOL), then how will I charge my Kindle. But the battery has seemed to last me for a month or so at a time, so I guess I'd just pay the money to be able to access my beloved books! :)

I used to feel the same way. My house, like many others, is lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves; the living room, kids room, bed room, kitchen, etc. My garage is filled with boxes of books that do not have a home in our tiny house. I didn't want an e-reader. I love to hold books, smell books, re-read and pass on books. Gadget guy dh does not feel the same so he bought me a kindle. I pretended to be excited. Now that thing is my best friend! If I get a book recommendation, in 30 seconds I can read the first chapter for free and decide if I want to buy it or request it from the library. My emergent reader loves to take it & read "Go, Dog Go" to her little brother. My teenager who is taking a Shakespeare class at our local community college can use it to read any play for free or for less than $1. Plus, she can get an immediate dictionary definition for any word she doesn't recognize, she can take notes and highlight any part she wants and those are always there when she comes back to the book. We took an anniversary trip that involved 4 airports, 2 layovers and several delays due to weather. How many books/ magazines would I have packed for such a trip? It makes my arms hurt to think about it. The Kindle never slows me down with page turning and I am a very fast reader. My slightly arthritic hands much prefer to hold the Kindle in its soft gel skin than all 800+ pages of "The History of the Ancient World." Now I can lend books out of my digital library to other Kindle owners (like the 4 in my extended family) If something happens to my e-reader all my books are there on Amazon to re-download. That is something that doesn't happen when a DTB (dead tree book) gets damaged. I just bought a Literati from Bed, Bath and Beyond for the kids. It is the most bare bones e-reader out there. It cost $28 after my usual clearance price/ coupon song and dance. It came pre-loaded with 25 classics with the option to download over 100 more at the Kobo store. They can also download library books in seconds without having to go out in the horrible wet weather.

This is not to say we have replaced regular books. We still go to the library weekly and check out our limit. I still haunt used book sales, garage sales and thrift stores for great reads. I still enjoy paperback swap and the actual brick-and-mortar bookstores. I also enjoy having every reading option available.

Amber in SJ

I think Borders' problem was more likely online book sellers, not e-books. Why buy at Borders when you can get it at Amazon.com for much less, shipped to your door in two days? For example, there's an app on my Android phone that lets me zap the bar code of a book in a bookstore and instantly order the title from Amazon. I still "need" to buy some books immediately :D, but I've bought quite a few used for $.01 plus shipping with the Amazon app.

While I agree with this for the most part, I feel that actually going to the bookstore is the greatest thrill.

It is like going to the library. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Also, I love going to used bookstores. You just never know what kind of gem you might find. You could find a book signed by the author, or a book with an inscription dated back to the early 1900's. You can't get that on an E-Reader.

Yes it is cheaper and easier to order from Amazon, which I have done myself. I just wouldn't like to see bookstores get replaced over technology.

Now, I just take my Nook. I love it. And yes, of course you can snuggle up in a chair and read outloud to a child from it.

Yep, read a few chapters of The Secret Garden to my youngest when we were out at an appointment and had some unexpected time on our hands but I hadn't brought our school books with us. Next week, my oldest will start The Call of the Wild, and he will read aloud from his paper copy and I'll follow along on my Kindle. I do think I'll be buying a Kindle for our school use though. My mom is considering buying a Kindle for my middle child for her birthday.

And I will forever love Kindle because it got my non-reading Dad to read for the first time in more than 40 years! :)

::sigh:: I guess I am just old fashioned in a lot of ways. There is SO much new technology today to make everyone's lives easier. Of course, I do like some of the things available today. But not all.

I was saddened to see that the book market has been included now. I only worry that this is just the beginning and books will be a thing of the past.

"Remember when we actually had to DRIVE to the library to get actual books??"

:confused:

I love my books and there is no way I'm getting rid of my extensive library. However, I travel a lot and, because I read so fast, I usually had to drag along one case JUST for books! :tongue_smilie:

My Kindle has lightened my load considerably!

And as for the cat - he'd much rather have me rest my kindle on his back while he's curled up on my lap than a heavy book! :D

So, not an either/or situation here - just loving my options!!

Anne

I used to be one of those people who swore she'd never leave books for an ereader ... but now that we're looking at moving back overseas, there's no question that it's a smart decision monetarily. Invest in an ereader/ebooks or spend hundreds JUST on shipping. There's no English library/bookstore where we live, so electronic downloadable books will revolutionize things for us. We weren't homeschooling last time we lived overseas, but I vividly remember how bored I was with the ONE pitiful little three-shelf bookshelf of books we owned. I read them over and over and over until I could find another foreigner to trade books with ... or could get out to some place where I could buy more books. But not too many or I'd have to pay for luggage overage. Now that the amount of checked luggage has decreased and the price of shipping has increased, ebooks are the way to go, I'm grateful they exist, and we'll be getting 2-3 ereaders for the family!

I don't have an actual e-reader of any type. What I have is an app for my smart phone. I'm enjoying it, but I only load free ebooks. I can't fathom spending money for a digital book.

It might be because I'd reading on my phone, but what does one do when one finishes? Erase the download? What if one wants to reread the ebook a year from now? Download it again? If it isn't a free book, one has to buy the book each time one wants to read it unless one has unlimited storage.

I don't know enough about real kindles/nooks to know how one stores ebooks.

The books I want to read again and again, or highlight or write in the margins or whatever, I purchase the actual book.

I do (re: the bolded).

We live in Brazil. English books are very hard to find, and pricey to get, here. Of course we brought our "library" with us when we moved, but the boys have grown up since then.

Thanks to my Kindle, I was able to download Little Men (because my copy has just about worn out) and read it, out loud, to my boys all snuggled around me on the couch.

Thanks to my Kindle, I have been able to, at the click of a button, purchase the next 3 books in a series my sons are reading. I buy them 3 at a time, as they need the next set. Thanks to the Kindle, the books are here in the house ready for reading pretty much the moment my son is ready to read.

Thanks to my Kindle, my husband can take Lord of the Rings (all 3), The Children of Hurin, a book of short stories by John Grisham, and more to read when he goes on business trips. All of that, in one electronic device tucked in his laptop bag, so that as he's waiting in the airport, riding in the back of a taxi, etc. he can read whatever he's in the mood for and not have to lug 6+ books around with him.

Thanks to my Kindle, I can buy one copy of any of those books and then everyone in the family can read it, all at the same time, on different devices. So, dh can take it on his business trip (by reading on his ipod touch or his blackberry, or even on his laptop), I can read it on my Kindle. I don't miss out on one book because that's the book my husband wants to read while traveling. It's great.

Thanks to my Kindle I can get Reader's Digest (and several other magazines/newspapers) in English, even down here in Brazil.

I understand that not everyone wants one, and I doubt that "real books" will ever go completely away, but e-readers definitely have their place and purpose, and a great deal of benefit for a variety of people.

I don't have an actual e-reader of any type. What I have is an app for my smart phone. I'm enjoying it, but I only load free ebooks. I can't fathom spending money for a digital book.

It might be because I'd reading on my phone, but what does one do when one finishes? Erase the download? What if one wants to reread the ebook a year from now? Download it again? If it isn't a free book, one has to buy the book each time one wants to read it unless one has unlimited storage.

I don't know enough about real kindles/nooks to know how one stores ebooks.

The books I want to read again and again, or highlight or write in the margins or whatever, I purchase the actual book.

I think this might be a factor of reading on your phone.

With the Kindle, I download the books (free or paid, I have both). I have a HUGE amount of storage space, and many of the eReaders have expandable storage as well (ie, an SD card slot, or something similar; I don't think the Kindle has that yet, but not sure on the newest version).

Anyway, even if I delete a book from my Kindle device, anything I've bought (or downloaded free) from Amazon is stored in my Amazon account. So, if I delete a book, it's still there for me to reload onto my Kindle later, at no additional charge.

As for note taking, highlights, etc. I can still do that, and do. It's quite easy, really, at least with the Kindle.

I prefer the e-ink technology over tablet devices that are back lit because it's much easier on my eyes.

Me too. Reading on e-ink is not at all like reading on a backlit device such as a tablet or computer.

I don't know what constitutes a "real" book. To me it's the words of the author, not the medium on which it is read. And as someone who has often bought used books or borrowed from the library, I can say I'm happy to give up the smell of cigarettes that's often on old, used books.

There have been rumblings that JK Rowling will eventually give in to ebooks.

http://www.writerswrite.com/blog/531101

I don't care for reading e-books. I have some on my BlackBerry for when I have long waits, but I have no interest in purchasing an e-book reader. I usually have at least a paperback tucked in my purse somewhere, or I'll tote along a hardback. A hardback is about the size of a Kindle anyway, and although it's just one book as opposed to a thousand, I prefer the old-school chic of reading a real book.

I can enjoy both but I definitely want the ability to put a sticky note on a page in an ereader. At my age, I like having print size changeable..I am actually getting rid of favorite classic books from childhood because the mass market print is too small for me now. I like my library room, but I never had enough storage..the ereader I think will be as useful as the mp3 player in clearing dust collectors.

re: the bolded, you can (with a Kindle at least, not sure about the others) put a bookmark anywhere, as well as a highlight, a note, etc. and it saves it there. So, for whichever reason you're putting a sticky note, you can do basically the same thing with ebooks on a Kindle.

:agree:

To me, there is nothing more comforting than curling up in a big comfy chair with a cup of tea and a good book. Books have a distinctive smell and feel, and I find my eyes go a bit funny if I read off a screen for too long anyway!

It may be controversial to say so, and perhaps it's down to my own experiences, but I do feel that technology prompts one to be more selfish.

Hedgehog -- I hear you on the comfort factor, though I've found, surprisingly, that curling up with my Kindle is just as nice if not nicer (at least for me) as I can stay all scrunched up in my blanket and not have to take one arm out to turn pages. Easy to click the page turn button through the fabric of my blanket!

But, re: the bolded -- "technology prompts one to be more selfish" -- can you explain what you mean by that??? :confused: I'm a bit befuddled over that one. thanks.

I used to be one of those people who swore she'd never leave books for an ereader ... but now that we're looking at moving back overseas, there's no question that it's a smart decision monetarily.

(-snip-)

ebooks are the way to go, I'm grateful they exist, and we'll be getting 2-3 ereaders for the family!

Just be sure, Lightly Salted, that you research which do and don't work overseas. the Nook, for instance, makes it nearly impossible for those outside the US to actually purchase and load books. Stick with Kindle or the Sony eReader.

(probably you know this already, but just in case....)

I don't care for reading e-books. I have some on my BlackBerry for when I have long waits, but I have no interest in purchasing an e-book reader. I usually have at least a paperback tucked in my purse somewhere, or I'll tote along a hardback. A hardback is about the size of a Kindle anyway, and although it's just one book as opposed to a thousand, I prefer the old-school chic of reading a real book.

Not sure what hardbacks you are reading, but every hardback in my library is much heavier (and mostly larger, as well) than my Kindle.

Most of my paperbacks, for that matter, are heavier/larger than my Kindle.

I understand your preference for real books, but as for the size, the eReaders are smaller/lighter weight to carry around.

Just as an FYI for anyone else reading along who might think an eReader is as heavy/cumbersome as a typical hardback book.....

Not sure what hardbacks you are reading, but every hardback in my library is much heavier (and mostly larger, as well) than my Kindle.

Out of curiosity I just checked my Kindle against several average size hard cover books. Now, I have the K3, the newest version, so I don't know what size the older Kindles are. I do know the Kindle DX is large, but that's the point of the DX.

Anyway, the books are on average, 2 inches longer and wider than my Kindle. My kindle weighs a little over 8 ounces. The books weigh around 1-1/2 pounds (I used my digital postal scale that I use for selling used homeschool books). And just looking at it and estimating, the books are about 4-5 times as thick as the Kindle.