Menu

How long would it take you.....

Hmm well if it was near tax return time, it would be very quick. :)

But not using tax returns...it'd probably take about two years, and that's just saving enough after each month's salary after bills, food, and every other necessity and fun, non-necessities are paid for. However, more could be saved if we really buckled down and cut some non-necessties.

(sorry for any sp mistakes...typing fast because I have homework to do!! lol)

It would really depend on how motivated I was. I could probably do it in a year if I had to (just by saving very strictly). I could do it in less if I really had to i.e. get a part time job or sell stuff. On my present saving rate, with no extra efforts, 2 or so years.

Now hubby has work, we think we should be able to save that amount, give or take a little, by this time next year. If you'd asked me last week, I would have said "a year or so after hubby finds work." But I've only got two kids and they're too small to cost much yet.

Rosie

How do you know I'm trying to save $6,000? :D I started in January and my goal is to have this money by April. We're having a house built and that's what I need for July at closing.

You can do it! Do you have anything around the house you could put on ebay/craigslist to get going on your savings?

I set a financial goal for each month and I set up the automatic transfer each week from our checking into our savings.

Good luck with your goal (if that IS your goal)!

We could do it in 3 mos. BUT that is only because we have no house payment right now. And because we live overseas and my husband works for the gov't our off-base housing is covered. That being said, we have enjoyed (too much) the freedom we have had the past few months (since we've had no house pmt.) and haven't saved a dime. Starting this month, we are working hard to save all that we can before moving back to the US (in 2012, probably). It's very easy to nickel and dime every dollar away...

Before getting rid of the house back in the US, I would think it could have taken 9-12 mos to save that kind of cash.

Yeah are we talking emergency NEEDNOW or just more of a want-to-have?

Okay lets assume emergency. Then how long would it take you all?

It would take us just as long to fund an emergency as it would a vacation. We have dealt with this situation as of late. LOL we called my mom and she gave a sob story blah blah blah. Then she left this morning for an impromptu week long vacation in California (funded on Tuesday and not from taxes).....but don't worry she is totally broke.

The situation just made me wonder if most people are like us and life doesn't care if it is an emergency or Tahiti. :)

Are you counting credit? I mean, if my car needed repaired and we didn't have 6K, I would use my credit card (which has an credit line of over 30K). We have excellent credit. Generally we put 8-15K on our credit cards each year and pay them off monthly.

If we truly had to come up with it from scratch - I would say we could do it in less than a year with just "extras" (as in left over money each month) or about 3 paychecks (so 1.5 mos) with cutting back and really "trying."

Edited by Tree House Academy

Okay lets assume emergency. Then how long would it take you all?

It would take us just as long to fund an emergency as it would a vacation. We have dealt with this situation as of late. LOL we called my mom and she gave a sob story blah blah blah. Then she left this morning for an impromptu week long vacation in California (funded on Tuesday and not from taxes).....but don't worry she is totally broke.

The situation just made me wonder if most people are like us and life doesn't care if it is an emergency or Tahiti. :)

Saving? At this point, never.:D

Tax refund? Hopefully next Friday.

True emergency (life and death?) However long it would take CarMax to cut me a check for my van or dh's truck. Both are worth (trade-in) about that much. We could sell both and have the $6000 plus an older minivan. We won't all FIT in a minivan, but we'd get by. My next door neighbors have gotten by without a car at all for a year.

Reality? We generally make do and/or generous relatives have helped us out. We have never needed that much and I can't see a situation where we would (life or death, not preference.)

Paying the bills and cutting corners? About five months.

Someone's going to die if we don't find the money so eat beans and skip bills? A month and a half.

And this is an example of a really good question. Because frankly, it should show me how fast I can pay off DH's car.

We always have something we could sell if we had to. There is a whole crop of calves right now that would cover more then half of it. Throw in a couple of mamas and there we go. We've got a barn full of hay we could sell. Taxes coming soon. So, I could have it close to immediately or on the outside, a month.

Life or death - a day, two max. I could ask for help from family.

Emergency, but not immediate life or death emergency - 2-3 months, but I would have to go back to work.

Important, but not an emergency - about a year, but we would have to drop karate, cell phones, internet, etc.

Just for fun - 2-3 years, but we would have to go back to paying the minimum on our other debts.

I would likely take us several years if we were doing it. Dh brings home about $2500 a month, and we barely make it on that each month. Rarely is anything left over to go to savings. If it was an emergency, I could call several family members and ask for help. We are putting $1000 of our tax return into savings this year to have that.

Def. depends how badly I wanted it and how urgent it was.

I could slash groceries if needed, stop buying anything, cut cable, stop contributing to savings if necessary, etc....and get it in just a few months.

But living just with our normal budget, it would take several months.

Oh, and if you allow instant use from savings, immediately.

Dawn

Emergency - we could borrow from a relative and get it pretty instantly

Crucial - a couple of months if we cashed in our mutual funds and held off on paying a one or two bills

To save up - close to a year if we cut back on spending and only covered the essentials