Menu

Who else wears "regular" swimsuits?

This is absolutely in no way disrespectful of those who posted to and agreed with the modest swimwear thread. If you feel that's right for you, great. I think they are very cute but not for me.

It did end up being such a big thread that I'm beginning to think I might be all alone in my swimsuit choice. :) Please tell me someone else on here wears regular-old one piece or two piece swimsuits! If I had a girl I wouldn't put a 6yr old in a swimsuit Britney Spears would wear but, for me, I wouldn't put her in the shorts or dress ones either unless she wanted.

I wear bikinis and one pieces depending on what I'm doing in the water. Anyone else?? :)

We wear regular ones, and I have been known to wear a bikini in days gone by (WAAAAY by). But we have a pool in our backyard. DH & I have discussed it and pretty much decided that when we are swimming with just the 4 of us, (2 girls, mom & dad) we can wear whatever we want. If we have company, we wear more modest swimwear. Right now, the girls both have 1 piece swimsuits from lands end (it's the only brand I can get to fit dd, who is ultra skinny). Our girls are 6 & 3 though. We've discussed that in the next couple of years we will probably cover dd6 up a bit more in the presence of others (surf shorts or skirt).

All that to say that NO, you are the 'only one'. Currently, I wear skirted suits because of that blasted bikini line.

My swimsuit choices are pretty mainstream. I wear a "tank top" style two-piece which covers as much as a regular one piece. I chose it because I am nursing.

I just purchased a pretty standard one-piece swimsuit with skirt combo which has what I would consider reasonable coverage for 9 year old dd. While we were shopping I had told her I would allow her to choose a tankini, but I would not buy one of the string bikini type swimsuits. We also saw one-piece swimsuits that I felt were not appropriate for a little girl. They were cut so low in the back, and some of them scooped toward the waist. They were clearly designed to draw attention to a little girl's body. Not happening.

"Regular" swimwear here too. I can show you the exact swimsuit I wear, although sadly I don't look nearly as good in it as this model!

http://www.northshoreswimwear.com/nssw/index.cfm?fuseaction=sitecontent.default&objectID=3047&sectionID=95

I hope that link works. It's the one called "The Nicole". This is, actually, the most modest suit I have ever worn! I decided recently that my bikini days are over. :crying: And I NEVER had the kind of body where you can wear a "string" bikini! My bikinis were pretty modest as bikinis go.

I really love that swimwear company. Every suit is custom made to order and is really high quality. They're really great for two-piece suits because you can mix and match your tops and bottoms -- and not all of them are bikinis! Some of them are what I consider to be quite modest, but still very cute!

Just plain old Lands End tank suits here. I have a tankini, but I wore it while pregnant with ds (born in June) around the backyard for dipping in the wading pool. Got kind of stretched out around the belly. One-pieces are nice for me. I would like to try some of the cute ones I have seen in Lands End with the sports like skirt sometime.

I posted in the thread in question that I wear a skirted bottom with a bikini top. Showing off my fat is less bothersome to me than having a white stomach. :tongue_smilie: eta: that is beach-wear for me, sitting on the beach, snorkeling, etc. If I'm swimming laps I wear a one piece swimsuit and show off the chub on my thighs instead. ;)

eta: my girls each wear a two-piece tankini.

This is absolutely in no way disrespectful of those who posted to and agreed with the modest swimwear thread...It did end up being such a big thread that I'm beginning to think I might be all alone in my swimsuit choice. Please tell me someone else on here wears regular-old one piece or two piece swimsuits!

Of course you're not alone. Consider that this board has nearly 3800 registered members, only a handful of whom contributed to that thread ~ including quite a few who said the suits were too modest for their preferences. I think the very modest swimsuit crowd is a minority, which is why the previous thread was great; it allowed them to talk to some like-minded folks. (And share some great links; I still think those suits for Muslim women ~ Amy in TX shared the link ~ were pretty cool!)

Btw, I wear a tankini.

Regular suits here as well. I used to wear a two-piece with a bare midriff until my youngest decided that there were enough stretch marks south of the navel and had to make her own above the navel :). Now, I am more covered up because no one wants to see what I have going on.

I grew up with skimpy bikinis and never thought anything about it. To us, it wasn't about trying to attact attention, but trying not to attract attention (everyone wore them.) The whole immodesty thing was so far off my radar. It never occured to me that anyone would think impure thoughts as a result of my tiny swimsuits. But then again, I was pretty much flat as a board and scrawny until after college :)! My sister, who was well-endowed, however, did attract all sorts of attention, but that was her intention - not just the attire, but her whole attitude screamed that she was available.

I grew up with skimpy bikinis and never thought anything about it. To us, it wasn't about trying to attact attention, but trying not to attract attention (everyone wore them.) The whole immodesty thing was so far off my radar. It never occured to me that anyone would think impure thoughts as a result of my tiny swimsuits. But then again, I was pretty much flat as a board and scrawny until after college :)! My sister, who was well-endowed, however, did attract all sorts of attention, but that was her intention - not just the attire, but her whole attitude screamed that she was available.

You know what I grew up with two-piece swimsuits also. It was either a different world, or we were still naive. I am sure my parents weren't worried about some perv checking out their 9 year old daughter :(

I'd say we wear relatively modest "normal" suits. How's that for weaseling my way out of an answer? ;)

No, really, I wear a one-piece or a tankini (where the bottom of the top comes well below the top of the bottom, lol). Dd has one-pieces or rashie+bottoms, and I'll let her wear a tankini if I can find one with a long-enough top. There are plenty of suits in any given store that don't fit my criteria, but I don't have *too* much trouble finding standard suits I deem acceptable for myself and the kids either. I don't even necessarily think that bikinis are "wrong" in all circumstances, though I do think they're inappropriate for little girls (mine is 6) or women with pouchy post-baby tummies (me!). (And I'll probably continue to discourage my dd to wear one until I'm beyond having a say in the matter.)

I like the Lands End Tankini. I am smaller on top and hippie on the bottom so one pieces do not look right on me.

Last summer, we went to the beach. On the second day, my suit was soaked by an early morning rain. My DH offered me his swim trunks. My preggo girlfriend was wearing her DH's swim trunks so we were twins. I fell in love with swim trunks. No more sand in uncomfortable areas. I also did not feel so exposed due to my hippie tendencies.

I figure, I am now 40 and I do not have to dress to impress. I love my swim trunks and all its pockets. So, is that modest or practical??

This is absolutely in no way disrespectful of those who posted to and agreed with the modest swimwear thread. If you feel that's right for you, great. I think they are very cute but not for me.

It did end up being such a big thread that I'm beginning to think I might be all alone in my swimsuit choice. :) Please tell me someone else on here wears regular-old one piece or two piece swimsuits! If I had a girl I wouldn't put a 6yr old in a swimsuit Britney Spears would wear but, for me, I wouldn't put her in the shorts or dress ones either unless she wanted.

I wear bikinis and one pieces depending on what I'm doing in the water. Anyone else?? :)

I wear a one-piece tank with a skirt that covers the tops of my thighs.

I would like to wear one of the rash-guard type suits b/c I'm very fair-skinned and b/c my upper arms and upper thighs are flabby -- not b/c of a wish for greater modesty. Unfortunately, I haven't found any suits like that have the amount of tummy control I like, so skirted suit, it is. ;-)

Lisa

I really like my one-piece but my books got smaller when I lost weight so the tankini is working better now. My dd's wear regular one and two pieces but I do have to admit, when we were at a waterpark last week, it made me uncomfortable seeing my 9yo in a two-piece. There were young boys around whom I'm afraid saw (and liked) way too much.:001_huh:

This is absolutely in no way disrespectful of those who posted to and agreed with the modest swimwear thread. If you feel that's right for you, great.

I wear normal suits, but when I was a child I wore culottes and a top.

Now that I'm older, I find I'm more comfortable with [color-coordinated] swim shorts on over my one-piece.

We wear regular suits. Thong bikinis, mostly. Especially my seven year old daughter. :D

Seriously, I wear a tankini with a skirt to hide my big bo-hinia. I know it doesn't hide it, but it's like how I feel about my big hair. Somehow, mentally, it balances out my proportions. :001_huh: My dd7 wears a tankini because she has such a long torso. I really wasn't kidding above. Her one pieces turn into thongs because of the pull.:o

I love swimsuits although I have rare occasion to use them. I just got a 2-piece tankini at Ross when I was on vacation in Arizona, and I can't wait to actually wear it. (The snow is still melting here and there are no pools in our town). In June we are camping on the coast, so I'll get my chance.

OH, come on!! I'm the only person who wears a bikini top? How embarrassing. I promise you I'm not the most in shape mom on the board. I tan very easily, I'm Native American, I don't want a stark-white stomach, I just don't! :lol:

I would wear one, but I'd like to lose a few pounds first :D

I haven't read the other responses, but my dw and dd wear standard one-piece bathing suits. We do most of our swimming at the Y, so the focus is on swimming for fitness, not playing in the water or sunbathing. When they are out of the water, they cover up with a towel and then go directly into the locker room to change. If we do go to a beach, they wear T-shirts and walking shorts (or scooters in dd's case) over their suits, both for modesty and for sun protection.

I wear a T-shirt and board shorts to swim.

The kind with the little skirt that I like to pretend hides my thighs.

If I had the figure for it, I'd likely wear a reasonably-modest-by-contemporary-standards-but-still-"regular" one piece. For me, it's not a religious or moral imperative. I'm just not comfortable showing a lot of skin in public. It feels tacky for someone my age, let alone for a mom.

Similarly, my daughter has never worn a bikini, even now that she does have the figure for it. She's always worn a one-piece with a fair amount of coverage, because that's what feels comfortable to her. We've done nothing to discourage that choice.

I haven't read the other responses, but my dw and dd wear standard one-piece bathing suits. We do most of our swimming at the Y, so the focus is on swimming for fitness, not playing in the water or sunbathing. When they are out of the water, they cover up with a towel and then go directly into the locker room to change. If we do go to a beach, they wear T-shirts and walking shorts (or scooters in dd's case) over their suits, both for modesty and for sun protection.

I wear a T-shirt and board shorts to swim.

Cindy screams, throws a robe over her bikini top (glaring at Mrs. Mungo for talking her into wearing it...) and shooes Plaid Dad away.

I wear a regular tank suit. 'Course I'm not exactly attracting lots of attention--I'm either at the gym or at a private pool with other mommies.

Last year I found a really cute surfer-type swimsuit for my 7yo, very athletic and modest-looking. And it had a skirt that she loved, too. I hope it still fits her this year.

where I now love my body. In the past, I wouldn't have been caught dead in a one-piece with even a hint of daring, but now I'll wear one with high-cut thighs to show off my long legs and a plunging neckline to show off the "girls." No problem. I even found the cutest suit last year, a two piece that was a bikini top and tiny short-like bottoms. It is fantastic! FWIW, no one has lodged complaints against me so far. ;)

The bottom is cut like boy shorts and the top if full coverage with buttons up the front. It really looks like something from the 20s. I haven't replaced it in 10 years because I can't find anything like it. I don't wear it much but I am really in need of a new one. If I knew how hard it would be to replace I would have bought a spare. I recently saw a draped dress shaped one that I might buy.

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/prod_detail_catalogquickorder.aspx?eff1=dd&styclr1=C7713&eff2=&styclr2=&eff3=&styclr3=&eff4=&styclr4=&eff5=&styclr5=&item1=ddc7713&item2=&item3=&item4=&item5= Hope that link works.

I wore a tiny bikini as a teen and young adult but it has been about 20 years. I love some of the new two pieces with boy shorts and full coverage tops but I really can't even pull that off anymore. Even if I could, I don't wear anything that requires shaving my bikini line. Old fuddy dud, I guess.

One of my teens hasn't worn a swim suit since she was a teen and the other covers as little as she can get away with. The two littles wear modest two pieces. The adult dd is a healthy girl and wears a two piece that I would be uncomfortable in but she doesn't look immodest.