Menu

What words really get under your skin?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It bugs me when people end their sentences with so. (Except for that one. ;)) I think they just get tired of talking and don't know how to tie it all up.

"My panties are in the warsher (did I mention I also hate when people put an R in wash or Washington?) and I'm all out of EVOO and want to make Rach's new recipe for sammie stoup, so..."

"My bad" also makes me crazy.

Edited by WordGirl

While I realize that posting this may result in angry WTM villagers chasing me with torch and pitchfork, but I cringe every time I read "accomplishate".

And referring to employees as "team members". Believe me, when people don't have nearly as much power as those at the top, they don't feel like 'team members', they feel like employees.

enhance

utilize

"tenant" for tenet

supposably

I've had a relative visiting for two weeks who does this, so I'll include my weird peeve about people who are unable to say two consonants together in the middle of a word, so skip the first one and double the last:

reckonnize
for recognize

avvertise
for advertise

Wahgreens
for Walgreens

Wahmart
for WalMart

avvocate
for advocate

scup-shure
for sculpture (this person's internal linguistic rules must get completely overwhelmed by three contiguous consonants)

asso
for also

vayyue
for value

and on and on and on until I'm quite certain the universe wishes me nothing but ill.

Edited by cani e porci
Fixed bone-headed error

Most words that Rachel Ray abuses. Her little giggle as she explains, "I call it stoup because it's thicker than a soup, but not as thick as a stew....hehehe" makes me want to HURL A LA CRUESETTE AT HER HEAD!!!

and yummo

and evoo

and sammie

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Oh, and I hate how my some people pronounce enchilada....he says "ANchilada". ick. And people who say "hamburger meat". ick Again, we do not say 'hampork' or 'chickenpoultry'.

:lol:

I am cracking up! These are the exact things I was going to post when I finished reading all of these (except the "anchilada" thing...haven't heard that)! My current Facebook status (posted BEFORE I even saw this thread) is "Every time I see Rachael Ray I want to reach through the TV and smack her." :D

"ginormous" :ack2:

"Giant" is a real word. "Enormous" is one, too. Pick whichever one floats your boat, but please don't run them together. It doesn't make you look cool, just ignorant.

"Yummers."

"Preggers"

"mommy" refering to me used by anyone except my children.

And "pooter" for computer.

yummo

sammie

orientate

conversate

I also don't care for Va-jay-jay

'anyways' for anyway.

"Could of" instead of "could have"

And pretty much every other word everyone else here has already pointed out. Especially "compooter," "prolly," and "supposably." Ack! Makes my eye twitch.

Aint

Babydaddy

"It's all good"

Gots

For cheap

I'm not even going to touch the mispronunciations.

Edited by Dawn in OH
I remembered two more!

This is great. :D

I'm with ya Nance, I can't STAND - 'We're due", We're pregnant". :ack2::ack2:Give me a break. Do you think a guy would ever say that if pregnant? Not a chance.

As I guy, I can state with absolute confidence that you are correct.

I have obviously never been pregnant, it looks like it hurts.....a lot.....and I give full credit to the female for her condition. My wife was pregnant, my wife was due, I was just a spectator at that point.

"engineer"

unless you are an actual engineer. Don't try to make yourself look more important by adding the word engineer to your job title.

(my dh is a bit sensitive about this one since he is a civil engineer and worked very hard to get there)

"ya' know"

If you listen to many professional athlete's press conference this gets completely overused.

I too HATE 'pooter/puter' for computer. I almost gagged just typing it!

I despise 'at' when it is used as the last word in a sentence.

"Where are my keys at?" :mad: This really bothers me! The 'at' is completely unnecessary. It will still be a complete sentence if you remove it!

I have a friend that has started saying I.D.K in place of saying 'I don't know.' :001_huh: I guess it is too much effort to throw out those last few syllables. It makes me shiver inside.

I also do not care to hear people refer to babies as 'it.'

"We don't what it is yet." I know what it is. It is a baby.

But, how do you pronounce V@@@@@? :001_huh: I've never thought of that word as hideous. I simply HATE va-jay-jay. too cute for such a noble body part, imo.

(I'm guessing V@@@@@ is pronounced "Vuh-at-at-at-at-at"?)

Va-jay-jay is playful, VAGINA is just horrid. I HATE that we get that word!

Along with another poster's "baby daddy", I despise "baby momma".

Gifting. As in, "Someone is gifting us a large sum of money." No, they aren't. They're GIVING you a large sum of money as a GIFT.

Gift = noun

Give = verb

Using "gift" as a verb makes you sound like you're trying to sound sophisticated, but in reality, it sounds dumb.

Anyways. No matter how you slice it, it just sounds dumb.

Ect. It's ETC. Et cetera.

And myriad other examples listed in previous posts.

"dropped the ball" and "thrown under the bus" I hate those two expressions. They've been used to death and I always feel like I'm going to fly to pieces when I hear someone say it, YET AGAIN!. :rant: ;) :D

Oh and I totally agree on the vajayjay. Horrible. Truly horrible word! :)

Gifting. As in, "Someone is gifting us a large sum of money." No, they aren't. They're GIVING you a large sum of money as a GIFT.

Gift = noun

Give = verb

Using "gift" as a verb makes you sound like you're trying to sound sophisticated, but in reality, it sounds dumb.

And myriad other examples listed in previous posts.

Same here.

My dd has been saying, "So, um. Yeah" to end her sentences lately. :banghead: This will end in Jan, though. :)

For some reason, I can't stand cliches such as

That was pretty. NOT.

We are SO GOING to the mall.

Been there. Done that. (I do understand how BTDT is an abbreviation on a board, though)

Does anyone remember MFS getting people to say Mea Culpa instead of my bad? :lol: