Menu

Okay... this is gonna be weird... but how to be ready for Christmas next year.

I am so tired of trying to be organized for Christmas and not succeeding!!!

So I am vowing to get it better for next year-LOL. I am wondering if any of you have tips on how to be more organized for Christmas.

I have so many people to buy for (that live with us or spend Christmas with us as they don't have any family). And I always forget something for someone or buy two of something for one person and miss someone else. Or I buy way too much for a few people and not enough for others.

Thankfully no one seems to notice this but me... or they just don't say anything. But I feel bad about it!!!!

I try to have a list... but that doesn't seem to work out too well... Partly it is because I really don't always know what I want to buy before going out shopping, and then I get so darn tired (I have health issues and I get exhausted easily) that I just want to hurry up and get it done.

Usually I love shopping for others... but the last few years I have been dreading it. This past Christmas I have been so sick with my asthma that I just didn't have any fun shopping for others. Usually this is my fun part of Christmas... and seeing everyone being surprised and pleased with their gifts.

I hope that you all have some ideas of what I can do to make it better for next year.

When I start Christmas shopping (or thinking about Christmas shopping) I make a new "Notepad" on my desktop. I list each person and what I think I would like to get them. I list what Idid buy and put an astrik by it so i know what I have bought. It helps me a lot to make sure I get and equal amount for my dc and not forget good ideas when they come to me.

You're right that it all starts now.

I review what I used the most and what I think I'll need for next year. If you give people cookies in tins, then buy tins after Christmas. I have a sack of 'keeper' tins which I store the christmas cookies in (these tend to be big tins) and I have the ones to be given away. Review paper, gift bags, tags, christmas cards and anything else you might need.

I have a Christmas notebook that I use to keep organized. It has my list of addresses for christmas cards, list of recipes for cookies, etc, and list of gifts. Also it has what is in each storage box.

Since you get so tired shopping. I would try to do research and looking things up on-line. That way you can maximize your energy.

Like you, I have been thinking about how to be more prepared and organized for Christmas next year and in the years to come. For us, the main change in 2011 will be spreading out the financial aspect of purchasing gifts for Christmas, gifts for January/February birthdays, AND home school supplies. We realize we just can't get hit with ALL of it in November/December.

Here are some of my ideas that I want to try in 2011:

January

• Buy wrapping paper, tissue paper, boxes, bags, tags, cards, and other Christmas items on clearance. Store away in a Christmas closet, attic area, or in a used dresser or trunk in the garage or basement.
  • Take advantage of January "White Sales" to stock up on sheets, pillows, pillow cases, bed covers, blankets, towels, washcloths, pot & pan sets, and more. Sometimes these sales have the best deals online and offer free shipping.

February & March

• Buy winter clothing that begins to be on clearance (depending on when winter ends where you live) -- coats, jackets, gloves, mittens, warm socks, hats, scarves, boots, sweatshirts, and sweatpants. Store away.

April

• Set aside a portion of your tax return so you can give some cash gifts at Christmas time (if this simplifies your life). Put it in a Christmas bank account. ;)

May & June

• Buy welcome household items that are often on sale during the bridal shower and wedding season of May & June. Store away.

July

• Look for Christmas-in-July Sales at stores such as Toys R Us, Target, Kmart, Sears, and many online retailers. Buy ahead of time and store away.

August

• Look for Back-to-School Sales at retail and office supply stores, and stock up on crayons, markers, pencils, colored pencils, pens, gel pens, tape, stickers, glue, glitter, fancy papers, paints, wall calendars, planners, craft kits, backpacks, notebooks, and more. Some of these gifts make great stocking-stuffers for kids and teens. Also, if you have clothing items on your list, now might be a good time to purchase these at the Back-to-School Sales that feature discounts on kids' and teens' clothing. Store away.

September

• If you have any sewers or crafters on your list, September is National Sewing Month (USA). Look for sales at fabric stores and craft supply stores. Sometimes you can find patterns for $1 or $2 each (instead of $16 per pattern). :glare: Store away.

http://nationalsewingmonth.org/

October

• If you have book lovers on your list, October is National Book Month. Look for sales at book stores, obviously. :D Store away.

http://www.nationalbook.org/nbmteachers.html

• Also in October, do your "walking around" shopping in small doses. Whatever you have to go out to the stores to find, now is the time when you can go at your leisure with it and quit when you are tired.

November

• Time to get it organized. Decide who is getting what. Wrap and DOUBLE LABEL -- this means (1) the label on the front says To: Aunt Annie, From: Me; and (2) a small, round sticker (the colored dots for yard sales?) on the back of the package is where you note WHAT is in the package.

December

• Pass out the gifts, enjoy, and do NOT give way to guilt. You've done your best all year and you deserve to have fun with giving to others.

HTH. :grouphug:

Like you, I have been thinking about how to be more prepared and organized for Christmas next year and in the years to come. For us, the main change in 2011 will be spreading out the financial aspect of purchasing gifts for Christmas, gifts for January/February birthdays, AND home school supplies. We realize we just can't get hit with ALL of it in November/December.

WOW! That's impressive. Thanks for sharing the tips. We too start planning for next year as soon as Christmas is over. Last year, we got several gifts during the after-Christmas sales. We have a cupboard that is used for gifts and we just add to it during the year. We've even learned this last year to label who the gift is for so we don't forget come Christmas.;) By the time the holidays roll around, there's very little shopping to be done.

I think you should consider doing your shopping online.

:iagree: I did 99% of my shopping online this year through Amazon and was done by Thanksgiving. I am not usually done that early, but it seems to get easier and easier to just make a list and then buy the things online. If I don't know what someone wants, and they won't tell me, they get a gift card. I even bought those online. I don't agonize over finding the perfect gift anymore.

Lisa

Not weird at all. I find that this is the best time to jot down things for next year -- I put everything on my computer calendar. For presents. I am now shopping almost entirely online. I put stuff in a cart, then add it to the spreadsheet I keep on my desktop. That way, I can play around with how much i want to spend before I actually buy anything. I use Amazon Prime, so I can do a lot of things at the last minute, if need be, all in the comfort of home.

I do a lot to get ready for Christmas, and I already have it organized into lists and categories since I've been doing it for such a long time.

Next Christmas I am going to try something new. I'll write the lists, and everyone in the family will sign up for their share of it. Since the kids are in school and DH works long hours, I plan to get rid of 1/2 my list that way.

I'll still have plenty to do -- I never get to do everything I want to because I run out of time and energy.

Best thing I did this year....I got a free trial of Amazon Prime and did a ton of online shopping through them. I had majority of Christmas shopping finished by the beginning of December.

Wrap as soon as you bring the gifts home. If you buy it in July....go ahead and wrap it! This saved me from a marathon wrapping session.

Go shopping the day after Christmas. That's what I did this morning. I got wrapping paper, labels, boxes, bags, etc. That way, I'm all set for next Christmas.

Start a list. I listen for people's ideas all year long. I jot down their likes, things they prefer, etc.

November is when I really begin shopping. All the new Christmas toys have been released, the kids usually know what they want, and I really begin my shopping at the beginning of this month.

I do Black Friday. I can find lots of things for my "odds and ends" people....you know, the ones where you don't really purchase them something personal because you don't know what they have or really want. So you purchase them something more general. On this day, you can get those sorts of gifts for deep discounts.

Decorate early. I used to decorate the weekend right after Thanksgiving. That weekend got to be too hectic with Thanksgiving, family get togethers, Black Friday, etc. So I began decorating the weekend before Thanksgiving. I don't care if it is early....it saves me from stress later on.

WOW!

That is one list. And, weirdly, I actually do a lot of that already which kinda makes me wonder how much I'm already saving. I said in another thread (Christmas letdown thread) that I'm starting to buy and make in July and have everything wrapped by Thanksgiving. I want to really focus on the house and kids next Christmas--don't get me wrong, this year we had more fun than ever--but I can do better and I know it. I don't want that pressure and three am marathon sessions anymore.

NEXT Christmas? Moderator, can we close down this thread? Delete it? ;):D:D:D

What I did was group all the kids gifts together by child so I knew what I got each, because all too often I'd buy too much because I forgot what I had already gotten. Then, for everyone else, I just bought their gifts and wrapped them, keeping them by all the other gifts. We actually have a locked area where I keep everything. I also color coordinated all gifts. If a person got several, they got many gifts with the same wrapping paper.

I kept a list of it all on my computer, password protected, so that I knew who got what.

I'm finding that I do more and more shopping online. Buying gifts this year was a breeze, I only went on two separate trips! The rest of the stuff was bought online. I could see all I bought at a click of a button.:001_smile:

online shopping is also cheaper. We walked out of Best Buy because we had checked prices on Amazon before hand and found they were in fact cheaper. So we didn't have to look though 3 stores that didn't have the game we were looking for. We ate sushi, went home, got in jammies and let our fingers do the walking.

(we've had amazon prime forever so the prezzies got here in two days and I wrapped as they came)

Like others have said make a list of everyone you need to buy for - I do this in Sept. I start figuring out what I am going to buy people and sometimes begine Sept/Oct. I write if it is ordered or already bought. I do a lot of shopping online like others have said. I use amazon because their returns and customer service is wonderful, and the businesses that work through amazon are very good to work with because the alternative is a bad rating.

I try to finish buying by Thanksgiving. This year I missed my goal but it was still by early December. Wrap before Christmas eve. Buy extra gifts if you think you might need them, make them generic. Try to get everything mailed off the first week of December.

Plan an easy Christmas eve that makes memories. We had one of the best Christmas eves this year and it wasn't stressful at all. We made a ton of memories without a ton of work.

online shopping is also cheaper. We walked out of Best Buy because we had checked prices on Amazon before hand and found they were in fact cheaper. So we didn't have to look though 3 stores that didn't have the game we were looking for. We ate sushi, went home, got in jammies and let our fingers do the walking.

(we've had amazon prime forever so the prezzies got here in two days and I wrapped as they came)

I check even Amazon's prices against at least two or three others (often times Walmart online) because I last year I actually had some over priced Amazon stuff.

~snip~

Thank you for all these fantastic tips! I'm definitely printing this out! :)

And I always forget something for someone or buy two of something for one person and miss someone else. Or I buy way too much for a few people and not enough for others.

Thankfully no one seems to notice this but me... or they just don't say anything. But I feel bad about it!!!!

I had this exact problem this year (well, I have it every year, but it was more exaggerated this year... I found something I had bought my sister two years ago but forgot to give her). I have a place where I store presents as I buy them through the year, but it was hard to get to (so little people wouldn't snoop) and disorganized. This year, I am going to get five containers to store gifts in - one for each of my children and an "other" box. As I buy gifts, I will put them in the appropriate box. I will label gifts in the "other" box, so I remember who I intended it for. I am hoping that the ability to remove the box easily will help me go through the box a few times a year and inventory. I also have a list on my iTouch where I write down items people have expressed interest in, sizes, sources, etc.

I'm looking forward to reading others' ideas as well. I really need to get more streamlined this year with organization in general.

Thank you everyone for such awesome tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am writing/printing all these tips and plan to implement them right away.

I do shop some on-line.. but I find that too often I don't like what I bought. I need to see the stuff before I buy it. I bought some bowling ball bags for Ds one year.... we hate them. They were just cheap made and I rather have paid a bit more for better ones. I just can't "see" the items on line. Pictures just don't work for me.

I bought my sister a flameless candle/waterfall and when I got it... I hated it. It was so cheap looking for the price ($20). I returned it. I was browsing a discount store and found the exact same flameless candle/waterfall for half the price. But I still didn't get it as it was still cheap looking (but the price was much better). I found another flameless candle set for only $5 and it was made much nicer than the other one.

Edited by AnitaMcC

This year, I am going to get five containers to store gifts in - one for each of my children and an "other" box. As I buy gifts, I will put them in the appropriate box. I will label gifts in the "other" box, so I remember who I intended it for. I am hoping that the ability to remove the box easily will help me go through the box a few times a year and inventory. I also have a list on my iTouch where I write down items people have expressed interest in, sizes, sources, etc.

I love this idea with the containers!!!

I do try to keep a list for my youngest two... they ask for so many things and often they forget about it. So I put tally marks next to items each time they ask for it. It gives me an pretty good idea of what to get them. But everyone else it doesn't work so well... they just don't tell me what they want anymore.

also check out organizedchristmas.com

it has lots of ideas of gifts to make and there are several blogs out there also that has gifts you can make. this year, i made journal jars and they could have been made months in advance. the fact that i made them on the 24th is besides the point!:tongue_smilie:homemade gifts tend to be big money savers and very personalized...and if you made a few at a time, you could be very ready for next year. hth...

seema

Shop now.

Get all your Christmas stuff now while it's on clearance--that means tins, napkins, baskets, ornaments, wrapping paper, ribbon, candles.

Make a list of everyone you buy for and how old they will be next Christmas (for the kids). Also note their interests.

Shop for them at the sales now, and wrap the gifts and put them away on a tall shelf. Use post its to label these with the item description and price. Add the items to your list, and check off those people.

Then during the rest of the year, pick up other things as you see them on sale or if they are very specific, order them online. This will give you time to find them on Ebay at a discount, maybe.

Also, think about whether you want to make any gifts ahead, like knit,sewn, or crocheted items, dry bean mix, etc. And start them now. At least make a list that is specific.

My Christmas giving is pretty simple... but I'm starting to run into the "teenage boy" quandry. I hate buying for boys, even my own. UGH.

We are moving this spring into a new home... complete with locked room for my Christmas/Birthday bins.

Children will each have their own bin for me to stash presents throughout the year. (I hope to take one day a month to pre-wrap, as well)

I have already started a list. I know what the two little girls are getting as their "big gift," and what my oldest DD is getting. I know what the girls are getting from their grandparents as well. I even have an outfit for each of them already purchased ;-)

My boys... that's pretty difficult. Mainly because I don't feel like they need more "stuff." They pretty much have one hobby (other than computer games), and that's LEGO. I'm so sick of LEGO. So I will be really looking/paying attention.

Our stocking stuffers are pretty much PC items/and crackers, cookies, sugar cereals we don't normally buy. During the year, we pretty much just have oatmeal or plain Cheerio's... but for Christmas I buy all the junk cereal (Fruit Loops, Sugar Corn Pops, Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms). Now that I'll have my storage room, I'll be couponing for this stuff like CRAZY, and sticking this all in our locked room.

Our extended family only receives a White House Christmas Ornament and Baked Goods/Candies. I just can't buy for 21 nieces/nephews, plus parents, grandparents, etc. We usually get something "different" for the two unmarried brothers... and a little "extra" for our parents. I'm not usually lacking ideas there. The White House Ornaments I purchase in November through our swim team, the other stuff, I purchase food bags, tins, etc. on-sale as much as possible.

But, it all starts with a list. Or several lists (as the case may be).

Thank you everyone for such awesome tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am writing/printing all these tips and plan to implement them right away.

I do shop some on-line.. but I find that too often I don't like what I bought. I need to see the stuff before I buy it. I bought some bowling ball bags for Ds one year.... we hate them. They were just cheap made and I rather have paid a bit more for better ones. I just can't "see" the items on line. Pictures just don't work for me.

I bought my sister a flameless candle/waterfall and when I got it... I hated it. It was so cheap looking for the price ($20). I returned it. I was browsing a discount store and found the exact same flameless candle/waterfall for half the price. But I still didn't get it as it was still cheap looking (but the price was much better). I found another flameless candle set for only $5 and it was made much nicer than the other one.

I buy A LOT online, and make very good use of my Amazon Prime membership (every year I worry they won't LET me renew, because I get more than my money's worth of shipping from them!). But, online shopping works best, I have found, for brand name items that aren't going to differ online of in the stores, like books, movies, games, toys, electronics, etc. Or some clothing that I already know and trust, like adjustable waist pants from Old Navy, in the next size up or my husband's favorite tennis shoes.

But I agree, some items are best bought in person, like most clothing, and decorative items, and many handmade or personalized items. I generally don't buy brand names I am not already aware of online, because the quality can be questionable.

I have a document called "Gift List 2011" in my computer (and "Gift List 2010" before that!) where I have listed first all of the birthdays under their months, and then all of the people I buy Christmas presents for.

I've already started shopping. Whenever I buy something, I write it under the person's name, and stick the gift in a designated shelf in the closet. I used to keep a list like this in my purse, so I could check it while I was in the store, but now I do so much shopping online that it's easier just to keep in in a Word doc. on my computer.

I also list ideas for people - and I'll highlight them or italicize them so I know they're just ideas, and not a physical object I already have in the house! :) This works well for handmade gifts, because you can un-highlight them once they're made.

I'm starting to craft now for next year, because I know I don't want to make things in a rush in Nov. and Dec. The list keeps this organized. I know what I want to make, what I am making, and what I have made.

I also subscribe to several frugal living blogs (Hip2Save, The Thrifty Mama and the Krazy Koupon Lady are my favorites) and so their posts about good online sales show up in my feedreader. I was able to get some great stuff online this year that way (a gorgeous Coldwater Creek shawl for my MIL, for example - over half off and free shipping).

Anyway, when November comes around, I usually have about 2/3 of my shopping/crafting done, and I can look at the list and see who I need to really search for - there are some people who I always have to work on (male relatives mostly - I'm always seeing stuff that's perfect for my female relatives, but the brothers and dads? harder.). But at least then it's not everybody! It's a lot less stressful to be looking for a few presents in Dec. instead of for presents for everyone on the list.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Britomart
forgot one part of the tip!

I was thinking about ths too.

I am going to make a list this week of all the Christmas Traditions we did and document it.

Like we always have Cheese Fondu Christmas Eve but no one can remember how much cheese to buy each time and so we either have too much or too little. 1.5 pounds of both cheeses was perfect for 16 this year.

Also we always forget that Grandpa doesn't like paper napkins. Cloth. Cloth. Cloth will save a few uncomfortable moments.

Putting all the Christmas traditional recipes in one spot: Cranberry pudding, the sacred gingerbread recipe, stolen, etc.

Anyway, you get the picture.

I try to have a list... but that doesn't seem to work out too well... Partly it is because I really don't always know what I want to buy before going out shopping, and then I get so darn tired (I have health issues and I get exhausted easily) that I just want to hurry up and get it done.

I make my list on a notepad, by person and also with categories such as "stockings". I have a pretty good idea of what things I'm getting for the kids, but if something turns up that wasn't on my list, I write it down as I buy it, so I'm keeping a going tab on who is getting what. I also have a couple of gifts that will work if someone unexpected turns up or if I'm down to the last few days without something for an Aunt or whomever that I just found out is coming. (I'm talking small token like a mug or candle, or for a kid, a package of moon dough.) I do shop on Black Friday and I knock out the major amount of gifts. (I don't go out super-early, though; 7ish.) I also like cyber-monday for things that didn't work out on Black Friday.

What I didn't organize early enough was our photos/Christmas cards. I threw it together on Shutterfly on Dec. 18th from photos I already had, had to pay for expedited shipping and still doubt that everyone got theirs by Christmas. And my special Christmas labels arrived today. :tongue_smilie: That's the thing I resolve to work out early next year. I'm putting a reminder on my phone for mid-November to take that special picture that didn't work out this year. I also put a reminder on my phone not to buy any more heaven-help-me wrapping paper! I have enough to wrap gifts for ten more years! :lol:

I'm not the queen of Christmas organization, however, these are some things that have helped me:

Buy all presents online. This year I took this a step further and bought every last present at Amazon (I have Amazon Prime and free 2 day shipping).

Try to cut down on who you need to get presents for. The only people I ship presents to are elderly folks who are having Christmas alone.

Drastically reduce the number or type of presents given to adults and make sure all adults are on board with the rules. My parents and I have developed a system where we only give used things (like a book we've read), things the person can use up (like food), something we've made (my mom gave us a cookbook of all of her favorite recipes one year), or a service (like babysitting). Somehow this has reduced my stress level, but it may make another person more stressed.

I hope something here helps.

I have done many of these things in the past, and they all work. However, this year my best help was cutting the list in half. Honestly, look and truly evaluate who and why you are exchanging gifts with. Approaching someone early in the year with your intentions to make changes for this coming Christmas (maybe talk in Spring) will greatly simplify the process and maybe a relief for many.

Wow -- great ideas!

January

• Buy wrapping paper, tissue paper, boxes, bags, tags, cards, and other Christmas items on clearance. Store away in a Christmas closet, attic area, or in a used dresser or trunk in the garage or basement.
  • Take advantage of January "White Sales" to stock up on sheets, pillows, pillow cases, bed covers, blankets, towels, washcloths, pot & pan sets, and more. Sometimes these sales have the best deals online and offer free shipping.

February & March

• Buy winter clothing that begins to be on clearance (depending on when winter ends where you live) -- coats, jackets, gloves, mittens, warm socks, hats, scarves, boots, sweatshirts, and sweatpants. Store away.

April

• Set aside a portion of your tax return so you can give some cash gifts at Christmas time (if this simplifies your life). Put it in a Christmas bank account. ;)

May & June

• Buy welcome household items that are often on sale during the bridal shower and wedding season of May & June. Store away.

July

• Look for Christmas-in-July Sales at stores such as Toys R Us, Target, Kmart, Sears, and many online retailers. Buy ahead of time and store away.

August

• Look for Back-to-School Sales at retail and office supply stores, and stock up on crayons, markers, pencils, colored pencils, pens, gel pens, tape, stickers, glue, glitter, fancy papers, paints, wall calendars, planners, craft kits, backpacks, notebooks, and more. Some of these gifts make great stocking-stuffers for kids and teens. Also, if you have clothing items on your list, now might be a good time to purchase these at the Back-to-School Sales that feature discounts on kids' and teens' clothing. Store away.

September

• If you have any sewers or crafters on your list, September is National Sewing Month (USA). Look for sales at fabric stores and craft supply stores. Sometimes you can find patterns for $1 or $2 each (instead of $16 per pattern). :glare: Store away.

http://nationalsewingmonth.org/

October

• If you have book lovers on your list, October is National Book Month. Look for sales at book stores, obviously. :D Store away.

http://www.nationalbook.org/nbmteachers.html

• Also in October, do your "walking around" shopping in small doses. Whatever you have to go out to the stores to find, now is the time when you can go at your leisure with it and quit when you are tired.

November

• Time to get it organized. Decide who is getting what. Wrap and DOUBLE LABEL -- this means (1) the label on the front says To: Aunt Annie, From: Me; and (2) a small, round sticker (the colored dots for yard sales?) on the back of the package is where you note WHAT is in the package.

December

• Pass out the gifts, enjoy, and do NOT give way to guilt. You've done your best all year and you deserve to have fun with giving to others.

However, this year my best help was cutting the list in half. Honestly, look and truly evaluate who and why you are exchanging gifts with. Approaching someone early in the year with your intentions to make changes for this coming Christmas (maybe talk in Spring) will greatly simplify the process and maybe a relief for many.

I actually don't have that many to shop for:

Our four kids,

my niece and two nephews (who we raised) ,

my niece's fiance (next year he will be her Dh),

my mom,

our friend who is like a sister to me and is Godmother to Ds#2.

my sister (she is niece and nehpews mother, she is disabled).

And of course Dh.

Then there are a few others I really want to give gifts to... but didn't this year.

my dad/stepmom,

my FIL/MIL,

Dh's Grandmother,

Dh's siblings (4 of them and they are all married and with kids)... This year Dh's siblings asked to not exchange gifts so we didn't. I want to give each a family gift next year. They have always been so generous with our kids over the years... and three of them didn't have children until the last 4 years or so. They all gave so much to our kids before they had spouses/kids and we just want to give to their families in return.

Next year I want to give something to everyone on these two lists.

This year was just too hard so I didn't get anyone gifts if they weren't with us in our home on Christmas Day... so I "only" bought gifts for 11 people plus my mom (the first list of people).

My siblings/stepsiblings (except my sister) we never exchanged gifts so that isn't an issue for me at all. We are content on seeing each other once every 5-10 years when we can get a family reunion together.

So I guess I do buy for alot but considering how many it really could be... not so much. We don't buy for friends and acquaintances nor cousins, etc. Just immediate family really. We just have a huge family- LOL. I am one of 5 kids + 5 stepsiblings, Dh is one of 5 kids. Then of course my two sets of parents and Dh's parents. I don't have any grandparents alive, Dh has one grandmother alive. We don't buy for our aunts/uncles (Dh's mom is one of 9 kids, my mom is one of 3 kids, FIL is an only child, I have never met my dad's siblings). So we always have avoided the extended family exchanging gifts. But also helps that we all live all over the states (and over seas).

Edited by AnitaMcC

Loving all the ideas on here! :001_smile:

I agree about simplifying gift lists. Or if you have a lot of people in your home, maybe do a yankee swap or something similar? Everyone brings a $10 or $20 wrapped gift, and you draw numbers to determine the order...and you can "steal" gifts or keep what you unwrap. It is fun, and takes some of the pressure off of you (and everyone else) to buy so many gifts.

The biggest thing is to spread as much of the work as you can to months other than December. Wouldn't it be nice JUST ONE YEAR to be all organized so you could enjoy the holidays? Have fun at parties, eat the yummy treats you make, enjoy the kids with their gifts?? :tongue_smilie:That is my goal. One of these years. :glare:

Drastically reduce the number or type of presents given to adults and make sure all adults are on board with the rules. My parents and I have developed a system where we only give used things (like a book we've read), things the person can use up (like food), something we've made (my mom gave us a cookbook of all of her favorite recipes one year), or a service (like babysitting). Somehow this has reduced my stress level, but it may make another person more stressed.

I hope something here helps.

I love your gift exchanging rules with your parents!!!! Thanks for the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do shop on Black Friday and I knock out the major amount of gifts. (I don't go out super-early, though; 7ish.) I also like cyber-monday for things that didn't work out on Black Friday.

What I didn't organize early enough was our photos/Christmas cards. I threw it together on Shutterfly on Dec. 18th from photos I already had, had to pay for expedited shipping and still doubt that everyone got theirs by Christmas. And my special Christmas labels arrived today. :tongue_smilie: That's the thing I resolve to work out early next year. I'm putting a reminder on my phone for mid-November to take that special picture that didn't work out this year. I also put a reminder on my phone not to buy any more heaven-help-me wrapping paper! I have enough to wrap gifts for ten more years! :lol:

I shop Black Friday.. but I don't leave my house until 8am or so. I just can't stand going out to shop when it is still dark out-LOL. Plus there usually isn't any door busters that I want... other than PJ's and slippers and usually these are all gone in sizes I want-LOL.

I have generally avoided shopping on line unless I know exactly what I am getting. I did get a few things this year online... Ds camel water pack, Dd's mp3, a few books. That was it. Oh and the flameless candle set I ordered for my sister, but that I ended up returning because I didn't like it.

I haven't tried ShutterFly... how does that work?

How much do you think you want to spend next Christmas? (If you spent the same this year as you usually do, use that figure.) Divide the amount by twelve. Set aside that much money each month.

Try to have the bulk of your shopping done prior to Thanksgiving. If buying from Amazon try to order in September or October. Amazon prices fluctuate wildly in November and December. Smaller vendors also have issues that can be avoided by ordering early.

Buy gift cards. Pair with some candy for last minute gifts and hard-to-please relatives.

Like we always have Cheese Fondu Christmas Eve but no one can remember how much cheese to buy each time and so we either have too much or too little. 1.5 pounds of both cheeses was perfect for 16 this year.

I'm going to make "Christmas Notes" on my Microsoft Outlook calendar on the date of Thanksgiving 2011. That way I know I'll see it and not forget it, like I have in the past when I've used a Word document. I recorded "11 pound bottom round roast" just now. :)

How much do you think you want to spend next Christmas? (If you spent the same this year as you usually do, use that figure.) Divide the amount by twelve. Set aside that much money each month.

Try to have the bulk of your shopping done prior to Thanksgiving. If buying from Amazon try to order in September or October. Amazon prices fluctuate wildly in November and December. Smaller vendors also have issues that can be avoided by ordering early.

Buy gift cards. Pair with some candy for last minute gifts and hard-to-please relatives.

Sticking within a budget is a major issue for me. I never seem to succeed at staying under budget!!!! Thankfully I never use credit cards so that doesn't really bite me in the tush later-LOL. I still over spend in general and I really don't wan't to do that next year. I want to at least spend what I intend to spend. Not over spend because I am unorganized...

I did get a few gift cards this year. Then I had fun trying to figure out how to wrap them so it wasn't obvious. So I wrapped the card with a can of soda (their favorite soda flavor) then placed them in a gift bag. They were like "what is this?" when they pulled out the wrapped can/card from the bag-LOL.