Menu

Do you dress modestly?

First of all: Hilarious posts on this thread! Reading them just made my afternoon! :lol::lol::lol:

Secondly: It's impossible to answer the point blank question because modesty is absolutely relative. (Yes, I know; oxymoron!)

Modesty is a courtesy we extend to other people, and how we practice it depends on our present company. Obviously I don't wear the same things around my in-laws that I might wear at the beach with my family, and I don't wear the same pajamas around the house that I [don't] wear in the bedroom.

Even the Bible, which asks women to dress in "modest apparel" doesn't actually go on to define that very specifically. That leads me to believe that it's just a guiding principle, and is expected to change with time, morphing to new eras and circumstances.

Plus, my personal choices really aren't (and shouldn't be) used as a plumb line for other people. There aren't any hard and fast rules about modest clothing in society, but there are certain expectations of etiquette and courtesy. It seems to me that most people fall into line with those basic concepts. Beyond that, it becomes about personal choice and often religious beliefs.

.. as do certain parts of my body. Ahem.

Anyway, here's my definition of modest, to which I adhere when in public:

1. My breasts are not practically hanging out. There are a few women at church :001_huh: who DO wear their breasts, I mean -- who DO wear their shirts low and loose. My husband is horrified by this, seriously. He says he would never let me out the door looking like that. As if I would! :lol:

2. My belly and butt are not practically hanging out (would NOT be pretty, trust me).

3. My head does not need to be covered, but if I went to another country/culture that expected me to cover it, I probably would (for example, I've been in a few churches overseas that expected a woman to cover her head, and I have no trouble complying with this, within the context of that culture).

4. I wear pants/slacks/jeans, but they are never tight. I am not sure if that's because I just hate tight clothes, or if it's the way I was taught to dress modestly.

5. I like the way my daughters look in dresses and skirts, but they don't always wear them. It is more feminine, in a way, :001_wub: and they do look sweet, but we just are not "dress only" people.

6. I, personally, don't wear many dresses, simply because I don't have a decent dress that fits. And no money for anything new in the wardrobe. A new dress would be nice. Sigh.

7. I don't wear make up. Not really sure why. I don't want to bother? I have good natural color? My husband just came along and said, "You are beautiful, you don't need no stinkin' make up!" ;)

8. I wear a modest (to me) one-piece swimsuit with a skirt, and I cover up around strangers (not counting my kids, my husband, his brother, and my parents -- they are all family).

I agree with the poster who said that modesty is a courtesy we extend to others. That is why my "modesty" might change around a different group of people. It isn't relative, in that there is a standard below which I will not go, but I could comply with moving my standard higher to not offend. I have lived and traveled overseas in countries where women must wear skirts/dresses. Adhering to this was never a problem for me, because the standard wasn't rooted in legalism, but in the sincere modesty of the people. I have also worked in a restrictive religious setting (USA-Midwest) in which women were required to wear skirts/dresses. This was intolerable. The requirement was a paternalistic control measure, rooted in legalistic, judgmental authoritarianism!

Edited by Sahamamama

Modesty is relative indeed. I mostly dress modestly, dh would say boring and drab, but about 10% of the time I like to glam it up and dress a bit sexy. Dh LOVES it. He always asks that I dress like that more. He says I have a great body and that I look better naked than clothed :D:glare:

In any case, he likes it when I do dress a bit more sexy (a bit of cleavage, not much since I'm 34B, a bit of leg and thigh but not too short). I, on the other hand, would live in khaki pants and comfy cotton shirts in different colors. I see nothing wrong with spaghetti straps. I have a few. My 34B breasts can go without a bra and I still look very decent and modest. I live in South Florida too, where it's hot 80% of the time.

Nope. Not according to most of you. BLUSH.

I typically wear jeans (NOT Mom jeans), fairly tight shirts and boots. No cleavage or I would show it off! Dh loves when I look sexy - hee hee.

Other than that, I am very boring in the way I dress. I like solid, dark colors and wear very little makeup. No one around here would call me inappropriate. I dress like a typical, kinda hip suburban Mom. :D

It's hard to find really trampy, I mean UNMODEST, clothes for a size 18.

Someone should tell that to some of the customers at the store where I work.

Seriously, I dress quite modestly. I wear at least 3/4 length sleeves (sometimes, in winter, I'll wear short sleeves out of the house, but not to work), I cover my hair, and I wear long pants or skirts that come at least to mid-calf.

I'd go barefoot all the time if I could, though.

By the standards I see here, probably not.

I'm a size 16 and love my curves. I wear clothes from Anthopolgie, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc. My skirts hit right above the knee and I love heels and wedges. My shirts are often v-neck, but show very little to no cleavage -- NONE when I am teaching. I wear a lot of jackets, bold accessories, and scarves.

When I wear jeans, they are Joe's, Paige, or Gap-- always boot cut. I love my Pumas and Modesto clogs for daily wear -- and nice button down shirts or t-shirts.

I would never wear long skirts, unless they are pencil skirts or flowly Sundance skirts, kwim?

I am 41 and love clothes :D

I'm a size 16 and love my curves. I wear clothes from Anthopolgie, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc. My skirts hit right above the knee and I love heels and wedges. My shirts are often v-neck, but show very little to no cleavage -- NONE when I am teaching. I wear a lot of jackets, bold accessories, and scarves.

When I wear jeans, they are Joe's, Paige, or Gap-- always boot cut. I love my Pumas and Modesto clogs for daily wear -- and nice button down shirts or t-shirts.

I would never wear long skirts, unless they are pencil skirts or flowly Sundance skirts, kwim?

I dress casual and some of these responses are funny! I love scarves! Where do you get your favorite scarves?

Sounds like me!!! Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. V-neck. Funny. I thought it was modest!!! But, maybe not. I'm okay with that.

"Modest" is completely a matter of personal interpretation based on your understanding and acceptance of whatever cultural/religious standards you feel are applicable to you. I don't wear really short skirts in public (well, excepting that outfit I save for gaming conventions) orhave my breasts falling out of my shirts or wear very skimpy clothing (excepting a bathing suit in bathing suit-appropriate places), but I have no compunctions about showing my ankles, knees, collarbones, elbows, or hair. I mostly wear jeans and rather unremarkable solid-color fitted, but not tight, V-neck tee shirts. Plenty of people on this forum would say that isn't modest. Plenty of people would say it is.

Personally, since I dress to a standard that makes me feel comfortable and attractive, I'd say it's modest enough. I'm not dressing to woo others' attention, but I'm not dressing to repel it, either.

Yeah, that! (esp. the bolded) Since I have lost weight, I can wear more form fitting shirts, but I don't show cleavage. I wear one-piece swim suits (because no one wants to see my "topography map of the Rocky Mountains" where my abs used to be.) I don't wear short shorts. I wear skirts above the knee, but not too far. I try to look feminine and casual. No va va va voom, but I definitely work not to be frumpy.

Yes. I am no longer dresses only, but I don't wear anything near or above the knee. I wear capris in the summer and jeans in the winter. I don't wear anything that shows cleavage. I wear a bra. :) Being small-br**sted, though, I can get away with wearing lots of tops without my br**sts being the first thing a person notices about me. Anyway, they would probably notice my big hair first. LOL

I wear capri sweats and sporty v-neck fleece around the house a lot, but most of the time I dress nice and sort of preppy, I guess.

I was thinking about this question. Do any of you dress differently when you are on vacation? I have a number of clothing items that I'll wear on vacation but not here at home. The skirts are a little shorter and I have one dress that is just smoking hot. I feel good in these things and feel it's okay to wear in certain situations. Just wondered if anyone else's standards are different when away from home?

Yes I do, especially on cruises. My dh calls them my "hoochie mama outfits." :001_smile: Even though they really are not that much over the top!

I dress in whatever makes me full comfortable and pulled together. I certainly don't dress to draw attention to myself, but I like to look nice. I do have tattoos that are visible in the summer, so many people on this board probably would not consider me modest.

Yes I do, especially on cruises. My dh calls them my "hoochie mama outfits." :001_smile: Even though they really are not that much over the top!

I dress in whatever makes me full comfortable and pulled together. I certainly don't dress to draw attention to myself, but I like to look nice. I do have tattoos that are visible in the summer, so many people on this board probably would not consider me modest.

:svengo:;)

That reminds me of Max and Stephanie's wedding day when I was so nervous to come to your house because of my nose ring and tattoos. Then I got there and saw Stephanie, and I was soooooooo relieved!! :lol: And THAT reminds me that we all need to get together again!!

:svengo:;)

That reminds me of Max and Stephanie's wedding day when I was so nervous to come to your house because of my nose ring and tattoos. Then I got there and saw Stephanie, and I was soooooooo relieved!! :lol: And THAT reminds me that we all need to get together again!!

Yes we do. Francesca promised to share her makeup with Cora. :001_smile:

I don't know if I would say I dress "modestly," but I definitely do not dress IMMODESTLY. I dress pretty casually and I don't have anything hanging out that shouldn't be. Soooo I guess it depends on your definition of modest.

:iagree:

I have also given up wearing shorts over the past few years. In the summer, I wear capris and in the winter jeans usually. I work at home as well so most of my wardrobe actually consists of sweats and pajama pants because that is what I usually have on at home.

:lol: GOOD!!! Yes - most of the vacations I wear my "hoochie mama outfits" are on cruises!!! (And, mine are not over the top either!) Good to know!

Yes, I do. I have always been considered the "boring" one of our family. But then grandma was in her 70's in heels and mini's with plunging necklines. Of course, she doesn't look 70. And her sister is the same way. I always grew up feeling self-conscious because of that. I also have always been rather endowed in the chest area, so that always made me feel uncomfortable too. There was a brief time, during my mid-20's, when I was in the midst of a separation, that I... well lets just say I got a little more comfortable with my body... LOL But even then it was just short shorts, not booty shorts, and large v-neck tees.

I am LDS, however, though I do not have my endowments I still honor the modesty code we teach our young women. No short skirts or shorts. I do have 1 pr of shorts that would not be temple garment appropriate, but they are by no means immodest. It just wouldn't fit the standards. No bikin's (not that I could anyway). No sleeveless tops or dresses. Most of my clothes are capri's, and polos, or tees with cami's under them. Winter is jeans and yoga sets. I'm a mom. I do miss the body of the 20's, but as a married mother I never really wantd the attention it garnered, except from my spouse :)

I dress casual and some of these responses are funny! I love scarves! Where do you get your favorite scarves?

My favorite scarves are vintage ones that I have found at estate sales, but for new ones, I love Anthropologie, Fossil (oddly enough), Nimli.com, Target can have some great ones on occasion, and J.Crew. Nimli is amazing, but I have to wait for sales :D.

I think I dress modestly. I never show cleavage. I never wear sleeveless outfits or shirts. I don't wear extremely form fitting clothes. I don't wear shorts out in public except longer bermuda types, although I'm usually in capris. I wear a very modest bathing suit, but only on vacations.

Fashion isn't a big deal to me, though. It never really has been. It's hard for me to find clothes that I like with the styles right now. I also think it's hard to find things that don't look too young or too old on me (I'm 43).

Yes, I dress modestly. My nipples are always covered and I make sure I have at least one inch of skirt below my knickers.

This is so funny. Reminds me when I was in Catholic school, and there's always some girl who's daring enough to show their "ahem" parts, especially when we know there's a group of boys from the list of "brother" Catholic schools coming for a visit.

Top is covered, no belly showing, don't wear tank top by itself, don't wear short shorts. I do however like fitted jeans and fitted long tops (Michael Stars shine) which can be tight but husband always loves the look on me so I continue. I just added camisole under to cover the deep v neck part.

Love clothes, always love clothes. Daughters are copying my style, and husband asked me to not influence them as they can be expensive.

I am more than modest right now because I am overweight and I try to hide it all.

When I am thinner I am still modest IMO, but I will wear shorts when thinner. I still wear a looser fitting top that doesn't cling or show anything though.

But I will wear a bathing suit to a pool and sometimes that does show cleavage.

I watched the Duggar's tonight with their modest swimwear.....I have an old pic of my grandmother in one of those! :lol: I do wear a what I consider modest swimsuit.

Dawn

By California standards, yes. By fundamentalist standards, no. I don't wear tight, low-cut, or tank tops but I will wear sleeveless so long as the neckline is modest. V-neck layered over a cami is okay by my standards. Skirts or shorts at the top of the knee except I do have one mid-thigh skirt that I pair with leggings. I wear a tankini with a high neckline & sarong and try to avoid places where there are lots of teen/young adult males congregated.

Well...

I rarely leave the house with sleeves shorter than just above my elbow, although I made a pretty big exception when I was in my best friend's wedding last month.

My shorts and skirts always hit my knee.

I enjoy the occasional v-neck shirt.

I want to get my nose pierced as soon as I'm not either nursing or pregnant.

You decide. :001_smile:

Edited by Annie