Menu

Do you dress modestly?

I do--but no head cover, no "only dresses."

Just

no cleavage

no belly

no piercings (these are included in some people's definition, which I didn't know until recently) except ears (and I do have double)

I do wear a bathing suit, but no bikinis (which you'd know the reason for if you read a recent post of mine...LOL)

That's fairly modest, to me.

It's sort of more by default than by design.

It's hard to find really trampy, I mean UNMODEST, clothes for a size 18.

Yup. Unless its just Wolf and I, kids in bed...;)

What do you mean by modest? I think I do. But, I'm sure others may not think I do (I'm thinking the Duggars may not like my above-the-knee skirts).

What are you going to do with this information? LOL! I think that I do dress modestly, but not frumpy.

this is me.

I do not dress to call undue attention to my body.

"Modest" is completely a matter of personal interpretation based on your understanding and acceptance of whatever cultural/religious standards you feel are applicable to you. I don't wear really short skirts in public (well, excepting that outfit I save for gaming conventions) orhave my breasts falling out of my shirts or wear very skimpy clothing (excepting a bathing suit in bathing suit-appropriate places), but I have no compunctions about showing my ankles, knees, collarbones, elbows, or hair. I mostly wear jeans and rather unremarkable solid-color fitted, but not tight, V-neck tee shirts. Plenty of people on this forum would say that isn't modest. Plenty of people would say it is.

Personally, since I dress to a standard that makes me feel comfortable and attractive, I'd say it's modest enough. I'm not dressing to woo others' attention, but I'm not dressing to repel it, either.

My dh thinks I dress appropriate and modest.

I wear pants and fitted jeans. So I don't dress like the Duggars.

What I don't wear is:

Short Shorts. My shorts come to mid-thigh or lower.

Mini skirts. My skirts are never more than 2 or so inches above my knees and always well below my finger tips.

Tank tops by themselves. I do wear them with a shirt or jacket over. I do wear sleeveless shirts.

Shirts that show midriff.

Tight Shirts. Unless it is a tank under a shirt.

I don't show cleavage and wear a tank if my shirt gaps.

Is this modest?

Edited by Tabrett

If it weren't for my tattoos and facial piercing, I would say yes I do dress modestly. But I recently learned, on this board actually, that those are considered freaky by some people. So no, I don't dress modestly. I try not to show too much of my muchness though. :)

Edited by Nakia

If it weren't for my tattoos and facial piercing, I would say yes I do dress modestly. But I recently learned, on this board actually, that those are considered freaky by some people. So no, I don't dress modestly. I try not to show too much of my muchness though. :D

We should have a shout-out post for tattooed homeschoolers. ;)

We should have a shout-out post for tattooed homeschoolers. ;)

Well darn, I edited my post, but you caught me. I remember that other thread got really heated, and I didn't want to bring up hard feelings. Oh well, too late. It's public now. :lol:

I put it back.

Edited by Nakia

Short Shorts. My shorts come to mid-calf or lower.

Do you mean mid-thigh? Because if your shorts are mid-calf, they're capri pants. :lol:

To answer the OP, I wear pants most of the time, but tops are not low-cut, pants are not tight, no tanks or spaghetti straps and I only wear shorts around the house.

Well darn, I edited my post, but you caught me. I remember that other post got really heated, and I didn't want to bring up hard feelings. Oh well, too late. It's public now. :lol:

I put it back.

I didn't realize there was a post about tats that got heated. I can't imagine why it's anyone else's business if any of the rest of us have ink or why they'd see fit to tell us it's immodest (not that I really care if someone with a completely different values system thinks I don't dress "modestly" enough).

I didn't realize there was a post about tats that got heated. I can't imagine why it's anyone else's business if any of the rest of us have ink or why they'd see fit to tell us it's immodest (not that I really care if someone with a completely different values system thinks I don't dress "modestly" enough).

I don't *think* it started out about tattoos. Oh, yeah, it was about someone's son who was being mistreated because of his clothing and piercings. It just got way out of hand.

Personally, I'm a hippie...skirts only (though my daughters are no longer), part time headcoverer, love my hoop earrings, no tats (I think I'm one three siblings that don't...the other seven do), and the most immodest I got this year was borrowing a swim skirt and tankini top from a friend for the beach...and that was a major step for me! I don't consider that to be the be all/end all definition of modest though. I think there are plenty of modest women that wear other things ;)

BTW, thanks to all of you that caused me to snort in a very immodest fashion :D

Edited by mommaduck

Do you mean mid-thigh? Because if your shorts are mid-calf, they're capri pants. :lol:

To answer the OP, I wear pants most of the time, but tops are not low-cut, pants are not tight, no tanks or spaghetti straps and I only wear shorts around the house.

Oops!:lol: Yes, mid-thigh!

Off to edit.:D

Originally Posted by LibraryLover viewpost.gif

I dress like a hooker who likes Yoga.

This is my new favorite line. Now to create opportunities to use it.....

I know, right? That one was brilliant.

keptwoman: Yes, I dress modestly. My nipples are always covered and I make sure I have at least one inch of skirt below my knickers.

And another great one!

Depends on your definition.

I wear jeans and t-shirts (long or short sleeve) or hoodies mostly.

I have a tattoo but it's only visible in the summer when I do wear tank tops.

I do have double pierced ears and used to have a cartiledge piercing.

Much of my so-called modesty is probably due to the 50 extra pounds I'm carrying around.

]I don't show midriff.

I don't wear short shorts - usually a couple inches above the knee.

I don't wear what I consider short skirts although they are usually slightly above/at the knee.

I don't show cleavage because I have really small boobs. :tongue_smilie:

I dress like a hooker who likes Yoga.

:lol::lol: I read Yoda the first time too. I was going to Yoda, little green muppet type warriors. Kermit the frog will always be the original though.

Modest? probably not. Age appropriate? sometimes. I wear t-shirts that say things, actually the shirts don't speak, they just have words printed on them. Aside from my foray into talking t-shirts I try to not dress like a what not to wear candidate.

I'm 37 and overweight, no one wants to see what I've got but my dh so

I save them the view. :)

If I looked like Angelina Jolie, maybe I'd dress less modestly. :drool:

I always wanted a bat tat on my shoulder but I hate pain. I don't even have earrings due to a strong allergy to nickel so no piercings for me. But I didn't think of those as modesty issues.

I was thinking about this question. Do any of you dress differently when you are on vacation? I have a number of clothing items that I'll wear on vacation but not here at home. The skirts are a little shorter and I have one dress that is just smoking hot. I feel good in these things and feel it's okay to wear in certain situations. Just wondered if anyone else's standards are different when away from home?

I'm a group exercise instructor. modesty means very different things in my industry.

I'm strapped in up top with a Tee instead of cami or plunging tank. (very modest for exercise industry and I look good.)

city length shorts or capri (not booty shorts - ew, I don't want to shave my thighs and besides most of my customers don't wear them either.)

shoes match socks which match shorts. (ankles show)

no lines visible on undies. ;) (no further comment)

but if certain crowds of homeschoolers saw me, they'd think I'm the hooker in yoga. giggle. It's not yoga. and I ain't that. that's a great line in this thread.

oh where's my headset. I'm starting class today with Beyonce's Diva. lots of time to shake the hips on that one. and we won't talk chest pops or pelvic tilts. ;) what? can't a conservative, Christian homeschool mom have some fun in class too? There's not enough songs like Shine from Newsboys to go for whole class.

ok, when I go to homeschool convention... it's "modest business causal" from coldwater creek. Same with church. I wear jeans. make up. short hair.

I dress 21st century modern modest for the mid south.

-crystal

I'm a jeans and shirt kinda gal.

Some articles of clothing I don't wear simply because I'm not comfortable wearing them at my current weight. It has nothing to do with modesty.

I think of modesty as being more about not drawing undo attention to yourself and dressing appropriate to the situation.

I'm a jeans and shirt kinda gal.

Some articles of clothing I don't wear simply because I'm not comfortable wearing them at my current weight. It has nothing to do with modesty.

I think of modesty as being more about not drawing undo attention to yourself and dressing appropriate to the situation.

I am pretty buttoned up. I don't look good in skimpy clothes, it's just not me. Even in the hot summers here, I always have a T-Shirt or top that has a decent neckline. No shorts anymore - used to wear them before my legs looked like I had the tributaries of the Mississippi tattooed on them -read lots of spider veins. I love longer, flowing skirts in the summer.

By the definition 'modest' seems to have on this board, probably not. It's certainly not the goal I keep in mind when choosing clothes.

I dress primarily to be comfortable chasing a highly active toddler, because that's what I spend most of my time doing.

On the other hand, too many years of watching What Not to Wear convinced me to make an effort to dress in a way that makes other people take me seriously. I try not to dress to young or too casual, because people don't take me as seriously if I do. It's been an interesting experiment...

Life was easier (and cheaper) in high school when combat boots and a leather jacket were the fundamentals of my wardrobe. :tongue_smilie:

Well I don't think I've ever dressed like a hooker.:confused:

But I have legs and boobs and I don't care if people know it.

Though I try to not show thigh high stretch marks or the near occasion of nipple exposure or my belly.

Is that modest enough?

Probably 50/50 in opinions here.

My dh likes what he sees and isn't embarrassed, so that's good enough for me.

Yes, I dress modestly. My nipples are always covered and I make sure I have at least one inch of skirt below my knickers.

:lol: That's seriously funny!

I'm too much of a fashion junky and how modest an item is, is not one of my shopping criteria. I pick pieces based on how they look on me and how I feel in them. As long as I'm comfortable, feel confident and I look put together I'm not concerned with what other people think of my fashion choices.