Menu

Have you seen these shoes?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I saw them on several lists on the Christmas list thread. I can never find a decent walking shoe that fits properly so I was initially intrigued by these. I have a very high arch though, so I wonder about their arch support. If my arches are not properly supported, they get injured and I can barely walk (and not at all for exercise) until I heal.

The people that have them love them. They say it is feels exactly like walking barefooted but the bottom of your feet are protected. They do point out that these are not running shoes. If you look at the bottom there is only a very think layer of rubber, thus helping it feel like you're barefooted. The shoes are recommended in situations or light hiking, rock climbing, water sports and general use. The company recommends that the shoes fit snuggly against the top of your toes and that they are not bent, therefore helping to give the barefoot feeling. The problem my son has is that his second toe is taller than his big toe so his toes don't slop naturally down. Therefore he'd have to get a bigger shoe and they wouldn't feel the same. He also needs to use them in situations of heavy water flow like white water rafting and they say not to use them in those situations as the water might force the heel loose and you would lose the shoes. As to the arch, I would think if you have no trouble walking about barefooted there shouldn't be a problem but in answer to your question about arch support no there is none. These are form fitting shoes almost like wearing gloves only for your feet.

I know several people who swear by these, one of which is my brother-in-law. We all teased him mercilessly, and then he was wearing them one day while rock climbing and broke his foot when he fell a few feet. His foot would have been fine if he had been wearing normal shoes. Needless to say, we teased him even more after that. :001_smile:

They are great for every-day stuff if that's what you want, but I would not recommend them for athletic activities.

I have seen them in person on people around here a few times. I think they look comfy because I am a person that would be perpetually barefoot if polite society allowed it. I hate shoes! They are very weird looking though.

It is my understanding that those who were them for running are proponents of the bare-foot running movement. The biomechanics of the foot strike in bare-foot running is totally different than what most people are used to. Many believe that the design of modern running shoes has led to poor biomechanics and bare-foot running is more natural.

I have seen them in person on people around here a few times. I think they look comfy because I am a person that would be perpetually barefoot if polite society allowed it. I hate shoes! They are very weird looking though.

It is my understanding that those who were them for running are proponents of the bare-foot running movement. The biomechanics of the foot strike in bare-foot running is totally different than what most people are used to. Many believe that the design of modern running shoes has led to poor biomechanics and bare-foot running is more natural.

Yeah you strike with the toe of your foot rather than the ball of your foot which is supposed to be more natural to our bodies.

I have looked at them and considered it...I just can't decide.

I have a pair and I love to work out in them. I'm not much of a runner, but I am able to run in them without feeling like I'm going to be jarred to pieces. They are very comfortable, but I am quite aware of looking like a dork or as Dr. Mercola says, "sartorially challenged".

I have seen them, but I can't imagine they'd feel good.

They look like those rainbow striped socks my friends used to wear. I wouldn't be able to get past the awful feeling of something between my toes.

I used to wear those toe socks, too. They actually sort of hurt after awhile. Toes are supposed to be together. When they're spread apart, it's uncomfortable.

But, maybe these shoes aren't as uncomfortable as the socks were. The socks made between my toes itchy, too.

My husband has them and LOVES them. Got my boys some for school this year and they say they're super comfortable.

My husband has not had any knee pain since running with them. He's able to run more miles and more days per week because of these.

Val

My husband has them and LOVES them. Got my boys some for school this year and they say they're super comfortable.

My husband has not had any knee pain since running with them. He's able to run more miles and more days per week because of these.

Val

I'm considering these for running shorter distances. How long does your dh run on them? I guess I just worry that when I run longer distances, I'll need the support of "real" shoes. But, I'd love to try them for my shorter runs!

I see them a lot in my area on runners!

I'm considering these for running shorter distances. How long does your dh run on them? I guess I just worry that when I run longer distances, I'll need the support of "real" shoes. But, I'd love to try them for my shorter runs!

I see them a lot in my area on runners!

I've seen lots of marathon runners wearing them.

I just got a pair. I haven't used them much yet, but I diid a ton of research before I bought them. There are people who run ultra marathons in these things, so that says something to me about whether or not they can work.

I saw them on several lists on the Christmas list thread. I can never find a decent walking shoe that fits properly so I was initially intrigued by these. I have a very high arch though, so I wonder about their arch support. If my arches are not properly supported, they get injured and I can barely walk (and not at all for exercise) until I heal.

According to their philosophy/research, if your feet hurt without supportive shoes, it is because your foot muscles are weak from not using them. There are many small muscles in the feet and legs, and traditional shoes restrict the natural movement of said feet and legs. Going barefoot, or with this type of shoe, allows those muscles to do what they are meant to do. If you are used to heavy supports, they will be able to do very little at first. You should go very, very slowly. At first, you should just walk around town in them whenever possible, and NOT attempt running or anything else, or yes, you certainly will get injured! Here's a site with links to several of their studies and articles: http://birthdayshoes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Links_to_press_on_barefoot_or_minimalist_footwear_running

Edited by RaeAnne

:iagree: This is why they say it is better for your feet. They say that, when you walk and run naturally, the impact is absorbed through the leg, rather than a hard impact on the foot and knee. There are videos of this online, and I think it's a very interesting idea. One common example given is that of the South African runners, who don't use shoes. Their gait is completely different than the average shod runner.

I used to wear those toe socks, too. They actually sort of hurt after awhile. Toes are supposed to be together. When they're spread apart, it's uncomfortable.

But, maybe these shoes aren't as uncomfortable as the socks were. The socks made between my toes itchy, too.

I don't like those either, but Vibrams don't bother me. The material inbetween the toes is much thinner than those socks, and is much smoother. If you try some on, I think it's a good idea to walk around a little in them, to see if you still notice the sensation. I really enjoy how light my feet feel, and this outweighs any feeling of fabric around my toes. YMMV

For those who don't like the look, they also have this style with laces: http://birthdayshoes.com/speed :D

http://www.theshoemart.com/vibram-fivefingers/bt-fiv.html

As someone who prefers to go barefoot, they sort of appeal to me. But they make me laugh, because they look so.....wierd.

They look like they would be very light and that may be one of the reason's they look appealing to you, I am guessing.

If I don't wear something with a lot of support I will have trouble with my feet. I like to go barefoot sometimes, but I can't do it for long or it gives me problems.

Val

:iagree: Barefoot running is why my dh can run today...he hadn't run in 20+ years due to knee pain. Barefoot running is a fascinating topic.

I just got a pair. I haven't used them much yet, but I diid a ton of research before I bought them. There are people who run ultra marathons in these things, so that says something to me about whether or not they can work.

According to their philosophy/research, if your feet hurt without supportive shoes, it is because your foot muscles are weak from not using them. There are many small muscles in the feet and legs, and traditional shoes restrict the natural movement of said feet and legs. Going barefoot, or with this type of shoe, allows those muscles to do what they are meant to do. If you are used to heavy supports, they will be able to do very little at first. You should go very, very slowly. At first, you should just walk around town in them whenever possible, and NOT attempt running or anything else, or yes, you certainly will get injured!

I don't think this statement is true for me " if your feet hurt without supportive shoes, it is because your foot muscles are weak from not using them." I first started having trouble with my feet when I was very young, and I was doing a lot of walking because I did not get a ride to school. I also walked to my part time job. Since I was young I have not been able to walk on a beach barefoot where the sand is dry and gives no support to my foot without it feeling like my foot is being painfully overstretched. My dad also had problems with his feet. I think it may be hereditary.

I don't think this statement is true for me " if your feet hurt without supportive shoes, it is because your foot muscles are weak from not using them." I first started having trouble with my feet when I was very young, and I was doing a lot of walking because I did not get a ride to school. I also walked to my part time job. Since I was young I have not been able to walk on a beach barefoot where the sand is dry and gives no support to my foot without it feeling like my foot is being painfully overstretched. My dad also had problems with his feet. I think it may be hereditary.

There MUST be exceptions to any of this. I mean, I need contacts, even though according to nature, my eyes SHOULD work right. :tongue_smilie: I can only relay what I've read. If you posted this on a barefoot forum, I can guarantee most of them would still say it's the shoes. Going barefoot, according to them, would allow those muscles to strengthen, which would make your feet NOT hurt anymore. If your feet feel overstretched, that would be evidence that your foot is not at all used to moving in a natural way. Apparently, many people with foot problems tries barefoot because nothing else worked, and they were finally able to be pain-free. I think that idea is very interesting, which is why I'm in this conversation in the first place. I really don't care on a personal level what kind of shoes other people wear. :D

There MUST be exceptions to any of this. I mean, I need contacts, even though according to nature, my eyes SHOULD work right. :tongue_smilie: I can only relay what I've read. If you posted this on a barefoot forum, I can guarantee most of them would still say it's the shoes. Going barefoot, according to them, would allow those muscles to strengthen, which would make your feet NOT hurt anymore. If your feet feel overstretched, that would be evidence that your foot is not at all used to moving in a natural way. Apparently, many people with foot problems tries barefoot because nothing else worked, and they were finally able to be pain-free. I think that idea is very interesting, which is why I'm in this conversation in the first place. I really don't care on a personal level what kind of shoes other people wear. :D

Sorry, guess i'm just being too chatty.

I would imagine those shoes would be a lot better to grip with, for example, if you were rock climbing.

Sometimes you can find out more info about a product by going to sites that sell it and reading reviews by the purchasers. I do that sometimes.

Sometimes you can find out more info about a product by going to sites that sell it and reading reviews by the purchasers. I do that sometimes.

I do that with any major purchase (minor too, if possible). My dh is always telling me about some new product that does amazing things and, almost without fail, it's the product's manufacturer making the claims. That's how we ended up with a Ron Popeil rotisserie. Never again, I say!

These shoes are sort of cool looking in the picture, but I'm another one who couldn't stand to put her toes into little individual toe pockets. :ack2:

I do that with any major purchase (minor too, if possible). My dh is always telling me about some new product that does amazing things and, almost without fail, it's the product's manufacturer making the claims. That's how we ended up with a Ron Popeil rotisserie. Never again, I say!

These shoes are sort of cool looking in the picture, but I'm another one who couldn't stand to put her toes into little individual toe pockets. :ack2:

Same here. I'm not putting my toes in individual toe pockets. :tongue_smilie: