Menu

Homeschool isn't the same as school.....

"Homeschooled students only interact with their parents and/or siblings that they see on a day to day basis. This does not allow a child to learn and practice social behaviors and cope outside of the home with others their age."

That's all I needed to read to see that the person who wrote it is utterly clueless about homeschooling. (Which would be fine, I was too before I began homeschooling - but then he should not be writing articles like this.)

I met a socially awkward publicly schooled student once. She was overwhelmed. She said that people did not like her because she was quiet and because she did not know how to interact with other students. This was a difficult change for her and she even struggled in her classes.

She was too shy to ask her professor questions....

One anecdote does not a case make. Just sayin'

"Homeschool isn't the same as school".... No, it's not. Thank Goodness!! Loved the replies!

The commenters really take the article apart, don't they? Heh.

And what's the story with the accompanying photo? Are we to believe that Michael Jackson's kids seem unusual because they've been homeschooled? Because that's been the only out-of-the-mainstream element of their lives?

The commenters really take the article apart, don't they? Heh.

And what's the story with the accompanying photo? Are we to believe that Michael Jackson's kids seem unusual because they've been homeschooled? Because that's been the only out-of-the-mainstream element of their lives?

:iagree:

I wonder how any of our kids would look with flashes going off in their faces after their father had died. I'm just guessing that mine would definately look a little "deer in the headlights."

"Public schools provide qualified teachers, suitable learning facilities and proper social interactions between students."

Seriously??? Proper social interactions between students??? Since when?

That that article made it into a paper is beyond ridiculous.

I guess they are talking about the bullying, the bully texting, the fights, the drugs, the questionably dressed... wow, sounds like a GREAT social environment to put my kids in. :lol:

No, we are to believe that if only they went to school, all of that other out-of-the-mainstream elements wouldn't have mattered!:tongue_smilie: The public school with their qualified teachers, suitable learning facilities and proper social interactions between students could have fixed all their problems. :001_smile:

This really reads like an essay someone was required to write for school. It is written at a middle school or early high school level. Can you imagine the assignment? "Compare and contrast public school with homeschool". Or, "Compare and contrast two opposing veiwpoints, taking the side of one of them".

So I wouldn't take this article too seriously.

Good grief, I haven't read anything so poorly written in quite a while. And this baffles me:

Homeschools can provide “special needs services, (but if) a student (does) not fit neatly into the system (they) can fall through the cracks,†according to the book “The Unofficial Guide to Homeschooling†by Kathy Ishizuka.

I haven't read Kathy Ishizuka's book, but I've got to think this must be a statement she made about public school, and the author of this piece took it out of context and tried to make it fit. Bizarre.

Well, DUH! If it were the same as public school, why bother to do it?

I expected homeschooling to be better than traditional schools for my DD academically, but I'm amazed at how much better it has been socially, even though I would have said school was a social success for her last year. It's the difference between being stuck with people and choosing to be with them-and it's dramatic.

Edited by Dmmetler2

I met a socially awkward publicly schooled student once. She was overwhelmed. She said that people did not like her because she was quiet and because she did not know how to interact with other students. This was a difficult change for her and she even struggled in her classes.

She was too shy to ask her professor questions....

One anecdote does not a case make. Just sayin'

I was that child. TCK going through culture shock, stepped into a school that felt like a pit of vipers, everything that came out of my mouth was the "wrong thing" to say, and it took me YEARS of torment in that school to get a social, let alone personal, grip. Homeschooling would have been a blessing for me.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I'm thankful I didn't bother continuing my journalism degree - I'm frequently reminded that it doesn't require an education, in fact, it appears that less is more in this field these days. :) imagine all that debt for nothing.

"It [public school] also provides interaction between teachers and students, providing students with an essential part of communication and experience of how to interact in different situations."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep, cause my kids don't talk to anyone (well, except the jackets hanging in whatever closet I lock the children in, does that count).

Guest RecumbentHeart
The author's writing skills alone are evidence that public school isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sheesh.

I think this is understated.

I experience involuntary shuddering at the thought of my children growing up with such impaired thinking and reasoning skills.

"Homeschools can provide 'special needs services, (but if) a student (does) not fit neatly into the system (they) can fall through the cracks'..."

To me this was hilarious--this is exactly why we are now homeschooling two of our four children--because students who do not fit neatly into the public school system fall through the cracks. My eighth grader is very academically gifted--he was entirely frustrated by middle school and needed more of a challenge. My fifth grader has dyslexia and other learning struggles that make public school a nightmare for her. She simply does not learn the way they teach.

So these two are at home this year while the other two more "traditional" students remain in school (at least for the time being). :001_smile: