Menu

Goodnight Moon--Why do people like this book?

mo2

We always liked it when the kids were really wee. There's a repetitive, sleepy quality to it. Good memories :001_smile:.

A favorite around here was The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton. After getting the wiggles out in the beginning we finish with the beautiful line, "the moon is high, the sea is deep, we rock, and rock, and rock to sleep."

This is one of my favorite books! There is a rhythm to it when read aloud. That and just the idea of saying goodnight to all the things in the room is comforting to young children (at least it was to my small children). Even though my youngest is 8, I bet I could still recite most of it by memory.

:iagree:

I hear you! I had heard about this book for years before I picked it up....then when I did I was puzzled by all the good press for it. It has grown on me a little bit, as it makes a nice transition book for lights-out. It sets the stage for kind of a groggy "the world is going to sleep" mood. If you read is kind of slow and hushed, anyway. I would have liked it better with less counting and more .... story? description? emotion? I mean, what does counting telephones have to do with anything??? I like the illustrations, though.

This is one of my favorite books! There is a rhythm to it when read aloud. That and just the idea of saying goodnight to all the things in the room is comforting to young children (at least it was to my small children). Even though my youngest is 8, I bet I could still recite most of it by memory.

:iagree:

We enjoyed noticing all the details in the room. Wiki has a good list.

Goodnight Moon is classic children's literature in North America. The text is a poem, written in simple feminine rhyme, describing a bunny's bedtime ritual of saying "goodnight" to various objects in the bunny's bedroom: the telephone, the bunny's dollhouse, the bears, etc.

One aspect of this book is the wealth of detail in the illustrations. Although the entire story takes place in a single room, the careful reader or child will notice numerous details from page to page, including:

• the hands on the two clocks progress from 7 PM to 8:10 PM.

• the young mouse and kittens wander around the room. The mouse is present in all pages showing the room.

• the red balloon hanging over the bed disappears in several of the color plates, then reappears at the end.

• the room lighting grows progressively darker.

• the moon rises in the left-hand window.

• the socks disappear from the drying rack.

• the open book in the bookshelf is The Runaway Bunny.

• the book on the nightstand is Goodnight Moon.

• in the painting of the cow jumping over the moon, the mailbox in the right-hand side of the painting occasionally disappears.

• in the painting of the three bears, the painting hanging in the bears' room is a painting of a cow jumping over the moon.

• the painting of the fly-fishing bunny, which appears only in two color plates, appears to be black and white (or otherwise devoid of color). It is very similar to a picture in the book "The Runaway Bunny".

• the number of books in the bookshelf changes.

• the pendulum of the bedside clock disappears in the final room scene

• the stripes on the bunny's shirt change

• in the last page the word bunny is gone off the brush

• the red balloon hanging over the bed disappears in several of the color plates, then reappears at the end.
  • the socks disappear from the drying rack.
  • in the painting of the cow jumping over the moon, the mailbox in the right-hand side of the painting occasionally disappears.
  • the painting of the fly-fishing bunny, which appears only in two color plates, appears to be black and white (or otherwise devoid of color). It is very similar to a picture in the book "The Runaway Bunny".
  • the number of books in the bookshelf changes.
  • the pendulum of the bedside clock disappears in the final room scene
  • the stripes on the bunny's shirt change
  • in the last page the word bunny is gone off the brush

To me, this just seems like the illustrator wasn't paying attention to what he was drawing.

I didn't like it...but my kids loved it!!!! So, I learned to like it :001_smile:. I did eventually, have fun making my voice as low and soft as possibly, and snuggling with them to read. It's hard to find something little boys will calm down too, and for some reason, my boys loved it!

While obviously art is a matter of taste and some people won't like things that are considered by critics and popular audiences to be "great," I feel like there are many things about Goodnight, Moon that make it such a classic. Again, that doesn't mean it has to be to your taste, just that, as the quoted list above shows, there are things that make it a great example of children's literature, the same way Bach is a great example of a composer, even if you're not into his music or Mondrian is a great example of a modern painter, even if you personally think his work is just some silly colorful boxes on a canvas.

My kids liked finding the mouse as he moved through the house and ate the mush.

I personally find the way that the book slowly goes from concrete imagery (the house, the bears, the clocks, the socks) to more abstract concepts (nobody, stars, noises, air) to be one of the most charming things about it. I also feel like that reflects how many young children see the world around them - the socks and the stars are somehow on a par with each other because sorting things into big and small or details and big picture hasn't fully happened for them yet. It's all just stuff around you - you being the most important piece, of course when you're three.

A favorite around here was The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boynton. After getting the wiggles out in the beginning we finish with the beautiful line, "the moon is high, the sea is deep, we rock, and rock, and rock to sleep."

We never "got" Goodnight Moon around here, but both DD and I enjoyed The Going To Bed Book very much!!

All three of my boys have LOVED that book. I love it because of how much they have but I can't say why. There isn't anything earth shatteringly clever about it. They just enjoy it. :)

I don't see why anyone would even like Love You Forever (I think that's the name). It's just emotional torture and manipulation to me. Not to mention quite a bit creepy to me as well. ;)

All three of my boys have LOVED that book. I love it because of how much they have but I can't say why. There isn't anything earth shatteringly clever about it. They just enjoy it. :)

I don't see why anyone would even like Love You Forever (I think that's the name). It's just emotional torture and manipulation to me. Not to mention quite a bit creepy to me as well. ;)

I agree with all, especially the bolded part. My mother got my oldest son Love You Forever and I never liked reading it. Goodnight Moon, however I loved. They were all very snuggly when it was read. Maybe that is why I liked it so.

I agree that there is a certain rhythm to the words when read aloud. And it most certainly rhymes, at least in my opinion. I could recite it right here and now. I have recited it while putting kids to bed, but without the book. For some reason that makes them laugh.

In the great green room there was a telephone

and a red balloon

and a picture of the cow jumping over the moon

and there were three little bears

sitting on chairs

and two little kittens

and a pair of mittens

When I first read it with my oldest, it seemed a little awkward. But having read it aloud probably hundreds of times, it's comforting. Maybe it's an acquired taste??

I don't think that you are the only one who doesn't like it, maybe just one of the few who has verbalized it. Let's face it, that book is on almost every reading list written.

I remember reading it the first few times and thinking, why do people like this book? Although, I get the rhythmicity of the book, it always seemed boring to me personally. However, we read it many times and looking back on it, for really young kids, it is a great way to expand their memory and have a sense of reading themselves by having them finish some of the sentences. My son used to love to do this, my daughter not as much. He is a strong reader and she struggles more. I am not sure if there is any correlation, but interesting nonetheless.

Well, obviously you've never seen the Star Wars version.

http://www.dzignspace.com/goodnight/

:D

Oh, thank you!

We love Goodnight Moon. I've read it thousands of times, I think. :D Maybe all in one night. Maybe it's the soothing words, the deep contrast in the illustrations, but it's one of our favorites. Ds's copy is sitting on top the bookshelf in the classroom.

Don't like "Goodnight Moon" all that much, either. But, then again, Margaret Wise Brown has some other strange books I never understood. "Color Kittens"... Ugh! "Mister Dog", was just strange as was "Scuppers". I loved "The Important Book" and maybe a few others, but... well, she's real hit or miss with me.

I personally find the way that the book slowly goes from concrete imagery (the house, the bears, the clocks, the socks) to more abstract concepts (nobody, stars, noises, air) to be one of the most charming things about it. I also feel like that reflects how many young children see the world around them - the socks and the stars are somehow on a par with each other because sorting things into big and small or details and big picture hasn't fully happened for them yet. It's all just stuff around you - you being the most important piece, of course when you're three.

:iagree:I like the book and agree with this especially the bold. Even as an adult my thoughts drift as a go to sleep. The concrete to abstract mirrors this.

It is a lovely soothing bedtime book.

Along with Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? it is a book I like reading to ESL students, because there is so much to dicuss.

However, Little Critter's Just Go to Bed was a big favorite of my middle ds.

A bunch of sweet memories.

Mandy

It's okay....I guess I don't love it and I don't hate it. I always liked how the moonlight came through the room.

When my oldest child was little she really liked it. I can still remember her reciting it and coming to the part where she'd say, "and a yittle ol' yady wissering hussshhh". It was sooo cute. Awwww....the memories. This same little girl turns 18 tomorrow. :crying: