Menu

How do YOU spell home school?

I *do* spell it hoe school, how did you guess, LOL? I think it's still officially two words in the dictionary, but it's also one of those instances where, through lots of usage, it's becoming combined over time into one word, so you see it a lot like that, too. So at this point in the game, you can choose whichever suits you....

Verb: homeschool

Noun: home school

We homeschool our children in our home school.

Home education takes place in our home school.

To homeschool one's children is a challenging undertaking.

Show off! :tongue_smilie:

Actually, Pam, that makes perfect sense. I will be remembering that in the future. As it stands, my instinct is to make it one word, but when I type that, spell check always corrects it to two words. But like I said, I'll be remembering these rules. Thanks, Pam.

Would home schoolers be one or two?

That's one I go back and forth on. I don't use it in any writing that will be "read" read, I used "home educated students" or "students educated at home" instead. Or if talking about the parent, "home educators."

But for here on the boards and such, I think I usually type "homeschoolers."

Show off! :tongue_smilie:

Actually, Pam, that makes perfect sense. I will be remembering that in the future. As it stands, my instinct is to make it one word, but when I type that, spell check always corrects it to two words. But like I said, I'll be remembering these rules. Thanks, Pam.

LOL, I just made it up. I'm not exactly a shining example for correct usage most of the time. :001_huh:

But that does work for me and keeps me consistent.

I write it solid (one word, no hyphen) in most contexts since that is the preferred usage among those of us who actually do this crazy thing. ;) It makes it clear that I'm part of the community I'm writing about.

If I'm writing for a publication that prefers another spelling (usually two words), I tend to use alternative phrases like "home education." "Home school" looks outdated to me at this point, like "on-line" or "car phone." English usage tends to move from separate words, through hyphenation, to solid compounds, so I figure I'm just ahead of the curve. ;)

One word. It seems like most of the people who home educate their children spell homeschool, while the people that don't (including the media) use two words. Kinda like breastfeeding. Those who do it use one word. The media and medical literature use two words.

I didn't even realise there was another way to spell "breastfeeding".