Menu

Are you a secular or Christian homeschooler?

Are you secular or religious in your homeschool & materials?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you secular or religious in your homeschool & materials?

• Strictly Secular homeschool/ no religion wanted at all
    • Secular homeschool/ some religious materials acceptable
    • Strictly Christian/ Christian worldview & materials only/ no charter
    • Christian/ secular materials or charter school acceptable
    • Strictly Catholic
    • Strictly Mormon
    • Strictly Amish/Mennonite
    • Religious/ flexible about materials & religion
    • Other/ please describe

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are Christian and we spend time in the Bible and prayer every day, but I use secular materials for everything other than Bible. I agree with a PP that it would be very hard to match our theology/worldview with Christian materials available, so I prefer using secular materials and teaching religion on my own.

*sigh* There are people of faith on this board who are not Christian, and who might not appreciate being thrown into the equivalent of "other" when you've chosen to break down flavours of Christianity to such a degree. "Religious" doesn't necessarily mean "Christian."

We are atheist and homeschool secularly.

ETA: I don't know how to answer the poll, because I don't know what is meant by "religious materials." Learning about different faiths is part of our homeschooling experience. Using, say, Rod & Staff math is not.

:iagree: I could not vote because the poll says "Christian" in the title, but uses "Religious" in the poll options and appears to be conflating both.

This seems to happen too frequently. Why are Catholics, Mormons and now even the Amish separated from the Christian category?

Funny, I have asked my Catholic friends why they call themselves "Catholics" as opposed to Christians, or Catholic Christians... When you ask someone who is Baptist, if they are Christians, they don't say "I'm Catholic" :)

As far as Amish, I'm thinking that not too many of them are on this forum :)

Infidel who teaches about religions from a cultural and historical perspective.

PS - Amish, Mennonites, Catholics, and Mormons A R E Christians. The pollster omitted the other two Abrahamic monotheistic faiths, Judaism and Islam, along with other major and minor faiths (major and minor being used to refer to comparative number of adherents).

Edited by annandatje

I am an adherent Catholic and I love and adore Jesus Christ and appreciate that my religion gives me the tools to have a more fulfilling relationship with him.

I've found as I've sifted through the vast landscape of homeschool curricula that as a Catholic I would rather use secular materials and tweak them to include religion than deal with trying to tweak Christian homeschooling materials that are largely unsupportive or even hostile to Catholicism. I am also definitely not YE and I refuse to even look at science curricula that supports that view.

Funny, I have asked my Catholic friends why they call themselves "Catholics" as opposed to Christians, or Catholic Christians... When you ask someone who is Baptist, if they are Christians, they don't say "I'm Catholic" :)

Probably because they don't want to be associated with "those" Christians. I do the same thing. If I'm asked if I'm Christian, I'd probably say, "I'm Episcopalian," just so it was clear to the person asking that, no, I don't think they're going to hell, no, I don't hate gay people, and, no, I don't vote Republican. ;) The idea isn't that I'm saying I'm not Christian, but just trying to clarify things.

Infidel who teaches about religions from a cultural and historical perspective.

PS - Amish, Mennonites, Catholics, and Mormons A R E Christians. The pollster omitted the other two Abrahamic monotheistic faiths, Judaism and Islam, along with other major and minor faiths (major and minor being used to refer to comparative number of adherents).

:iagree:That's us too. But I like 'heathen' better than 'infidel'.

We are secular. I don't teach about world religions as a separate subject, though of course we do study them in relation to history and current events. I have been known to use materials by religious publishers and secularize them, but I prefer not to do that unless I can't find something better.

Probably because they don't want to be associated with "those" Christians. I do the same thing. If I'm asked if I'm Christian, I'd probably say, "I'm Episcopalian," just so it was clear to the person asking that, no, I don't think they're going to hell, no, I don't hate gay people, and, no, I don't vote Republican. ;) The idea isn't that I'm saying I'm not Christian, but just trying to clarify things.

While there are people who believe this way it is an incorrect stereotype that really irks me. I'm a Christian, protestant evangelical even - & I don't believe any of those things. If someone asks about religion then it has nothing to do with how I vote. In my denomination there are pretty equal Rs & Ds - if I had to guess it would be more likely to be skewed to Ds. Just trying to clarify things as well.

I'm LDS/Mormon and consider myself Christian in faith. However, I tend to choose mainly secular homeschool materials because (a) I don't think EVERYTHING has to be permeated with religion and (b) my beliefs don't necessarily go along with some of those of mainstream Christianity (for example, we believe in a Godhead of three separate members rather than a Trinity).

I am an adherent Catholic and I love and adore Jesus Christ and appreciate that my religion gives me the tools to have a more fulfilling relationship with him.

I've found as I've sifted through the vast landscape of homeschool curricula that as a Catholic I would rather use secular materials and tweak them to include religion than deal with trying to tweak Christian homeschooling materials that are largely unsupportive or even hostile to Catholicism. I am also definitely not YE and I refuse to even look at science curricula that supports that view.

I could have written exactly them same thing, except that it wouldn't have been worded so well. :) I voted "other" since secular curricula are more than just acceptable, they are preferable.

I'm a protestant, an Anglican, but I find exactly the same thing. The Christian materials are often the least appropriate as they don't reflect my faith, church or world view.

The only religious material I'll be using this year is (hopefully) Telling God's Word and Lingua Mater, a Catholic writing program. I suppose some might think it's a little funny that a protestant would feels HEAPS more comfortable using a Catholic program rather then a protestant one.

I voted Christian with some secular materials acceptable. Where Christian content is relevant I make a point of seeking curriculum with a Christian world view.

For subjects like Phonics, Math, Latin, Music, or Art I do not see the need for Christian influence so long as the materials are not anti-Christian. For subjects such as History, Literature, & Science I see it as important to present the Christian worldview, but to do so to the exclusion of other worldviews would, I believe, be a disservice to my children's education. Without knowledge of other worldviews how are they to be equipped to defend their own?

Before people get too hot under the collar over the wording of the poll, this is a 1 year old thread.

:lol: :iagree: I was struggling trying to figure out my answer because we don't really fit a category exactly and then noticed it said I had already answered! Wondered how that happened and then saw the date. I wondered what I put last year?

Mary

I chose strictly Christian. We do some secular supplements when needed (because there are a ton of good secular supplements), but our curriculum is Creation based, Christian worldview. We would not do a charter school though (if we were to do that, IMO I might as well have them in PS)

Just our views!

Pretty much the same here. I wouldn't use secular history materials, but will use math, grammar, and the like that is "secular". I will use strictly Christian, creation based, young earth science and history.

I'm a protestant, an Anglican, but I find exactly the same thing. The Christian materials are often the least appropriate as they don't reflect my faith, church or world view.

The only religious material I'll be using this year is (hopefully) Telling God's Word and Lingua Mater, a Catholic writing program. I suppose some might think it's a little funny that a protestant would feels HEAPS more comfortable using a Catholic program rather then a protestant one.

I've found that in some cases the RC materials are closer to an Anglican viewpoint than the Christian materials. But until you said this I wondered if it was just me. :001_smile:

I've found that in some cases the RC materials are closer to an Anglican viewpoint than the Christian materials. But until you said this I wondered if it was just me. :001_smile:

Nope. :) Not just materials either. I often feel more comfortable around Catholics when discussing religion. Funny.

So, the options are basically secular or Christian? I don't get it. Where are the options for other religions? Am I missing something? Am I supposed to fit into category secular or category Christian? My avatar might hint at me being neither.:confused:

:iagree:That's a good point.

We're Christian and teach from a Christian worldview, however, if I couldn't find what I needed that was religious in nature, I wouldn't have a problem using and tweaking a secular curriculum. So far, except for a bit of math, I haven't had to do that, but it's not something I would worry about, either. It is much more important to me to have a Christian worldview in science and history, though, as it is in, say, foreign language, math, or LA.

I'm sorry, but every time I see this topic come up, all I can think of is this exchange (and I probably already put it somewhere in the previous 14 pages):

Glinda, the Good Witch of the North: Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Dorothy: I'm not a witch at all. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas.

Glinda, the Good Witch of the North: Oh. Well, is that the witch?

Dorothy: Who, Toto? Toto's my dog!

a

I put Secular, some religious materials acceptable because I plan to teach about all religions at some point. I don't plan to use any Christian homeschooling materials (Science, History, Math, etc.) but I will at some point use Religious materials of various denominations to teach about those religions.

:iagree:

This is us, too. I won't use any materials either, but as a family we operate with wanting our children to make up their own minds about religion, so we will be teaching many different religions. If they agree with us, great. If they do believe in a God/Gods, good for them. :001_smile:

I thought this was a Christian forum.

No. The owner is Christian and probably most of the posters are Christian but it's open to all.

I find that refreshing myself as most of the homeschooling forums I've been involved with have been overwhelmingly Christian.

And I'm Christian myself. :)

"Other"

Strongly drawn toward the principles of classical education (history, reading of excellent books, writing), but not interested in the four-year cycle done over-and-over.

The driver for curricula selection is how good quality the material is. A good-quality secular product trumps a bad-quality Christian product.

Orthodox Christian materials are nearly non-existent, although the "History Portfolios" and the work-in-progress "Ages of Grace" are high-quality materials and God-sends for us E.O.s The former are for students younger than my current student, and the latter came out after I already had made my choices for her upcoming year.

Most of the time, a non-religious (which label I prefer to the label "secular") product is much easier to make compatible with an Orthodox worldview than is a religious product. We often use religious-affiliated curricula which require minimal tweaking, if the products are good for the subject matter being taught.

I chose other because we are Christian, but we use whatever we best feel suits our children's needs (and our budget). We also use public school for part of our children's education so I am not opposed to secular materials. I do prefer to use Christian science curriculum however because I feel like nature is such a reflection of God as Creator that I hate to see it taught without reference to a Creator, and I tend towards a belief in a young earth; however, I am not a stickler about it since His handiwork is evident to me without any overt mention of Him.

this is tricky to answer... I am pretty committed to using Curriculum that line up with my worldview in certain subjects, (Bible, History/ Social Studies & science) and not so concerned about others.

We did do a secular charter school with DD in K.. but it was only with the understanding that I could alter or skip any objectionable material. I won't be using it again, but it was ok.

My reasons for homeschooling are religious, I hope to pass on a biblical worldview in many areas to my kiddos.

Edited by lcelmer

Strictly Christian. I do this first and foremost because God has led me to do it, so everything I do will be to guide them towards loving the Lord with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength and to have a Biblical, Christ-centered worldview, to see the world, creation, history, science, etc., through God's eyes. An excellent education goes hand in hand with this goal, so finding Christian materials, in most cases, is important to me. I say, "in most cases," because I think some "skills" can be accomplished well without being Christian in nature...math, for instance.

• 1 month later...
Guest kdaniele

We are secular and while we choose mostly secular materials, we do teach all religions as I do not believe that we can give my daughter a holistic worldview by ignoring any religion.

Wow, this poll shows where each person voted; not use to that. Anyway, I'm strictly Christian and believe that each person projects their worldview on their children's studies. Those who are fortunate realize this and choose their subjects with this in mind; I truly believe that you can not have a "no worldview".

I prefer to have material that is from a worldview that is Christian, although what that means is debatable. I would have no material that is "anti-Christian" without explaining how this goes against Christian belief.

I do believe that God chose how math would work; but, I don't need a Bible verse on the bottom of each Math page.

I chose strictly Christian. We do some secular supplements when needed (because there are a ton of good secular supplements), but our curriculum is Creation based, Christian worldview. We would not do a charter school though (if we were to do that, IMO I might as well have them in PS)

Just our views!

puts it about perfect --

We don't Homeschool for religious reasons. It is to provide the best education possible for our children. We are Christians. I include Bible and Christian history in our studies. We use classical conversations. But I also use secular materials - Real Science 4 Kids, SITE, and Core Knowledge lit.