Menu

Are you a secular or Christian homeschooler?

Are you secular or religious in your homeschool & materials?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you secular or religious in your homeschool & materials?

• Strictly Secular homeschool/ no religion wanted at all
    • Secular homeschool/ some religious materials acceptable
    • Strictly Christian/ Christian worldview & materials only/ no charter
    • Christian/ secular materials or charter school acceptable
    • Strictly Catholic
    • Strictly Mormon
    • Strictly Amish/Mennonite
    • Religious/ flexible about materials & religion
    • Other/ please describe

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to happen too frequently. Why are Catholics, Mormons and now even the Amish separated from the Christian category?

Or what about all of the other religions that are left off the poll entirely?

For example, I'm a Unitarian Universalist homeschooler. I use primarily secular materials, because UU curricula don't exist. However, I've used some materials intended for Christians, too. And I would say that our religious beliefs infuse most of what we do, educationally.

Normally, I have no problem clicking "other," but in this poll I have a feeling that category will be too huge to make it meaningful. So, I can't answer.

We're Christians who Homeschool using primarily secular materials -- particularly science. We do not object to materials that contain (any) religion, as long as it does not detract from the material presented-- most subjects are inherently multidisciplinary anyway-- but we focus more on the quality of the content.

You cannot competently teach history without religion, as religions (note the plural there) have always shaped and influenced history. World politics and beliefs have also influenced the development of mathematics and science (sometimes slowing the progress of knowledge, at other times preserving and advancing it).

Some religious materials are simply excellent, such as R&S grammar, and even if they don't quite reflect our views, we aren't going to lose out on an excellent program to avoid discussing our differences in beliefs with our kids.

I could never use a science book that frowned on evolution or took ID seriously as anything but a religious, not scientific (testable by the scientific method) opinion, or a YE history program, though I am probably unusual because I do want my kids exposed to those ideas so we can talk openly about why some people believe in them, and why Mom and Dad do not. So, I'd say we are pretty selective about where religious curricula are and are not appropriate for our family.

We are Christians. We don't homeschool for religious reasons and usually choose secular materials, however most Christian materials don't offend me either. I try to choose the best fit for the child/family. Religion plays very little role, educational content and presentation are the factors I look for.

Guest nancy sv

We homeschool for the lifestyle it affords us (traveling the world on bikes) so religion doesn't enter into our reasons at all. Mostly we cobble together our own curriculum based on our travels so don't use preprogrammed curriculums either.

This seems to happen too frequently. Why are Catholics, Mormons and now even the Amish separated from the Christian category?

As for Mormons, almost all of the born again Christians I have encountered consider Mormons NOT to be Christians. I know this because I have spent hours, when I considered myself LDS, trying to get them to understand that I was a Christian.

I don't know how to reply! We're Christians, but we hs primarily secularly. I don't have anything against Christian material in theory, but in practice, most of it...I don't use.

"Christian for whom secular material is acceptable" was closest to a fit, but really, I'd replace "acceptable" w/ "preferable." Generally, practically speaking. Theoretically, there would be ideal curric. ;)

I voted Christian/secular stuff ok, but in reality we use mostly Christian based materials. We have been a part of a charter (although we are not currently) and I am not opposed to using some secular material. I don't think I would ever solely use secular materials.

This, except that we've never been part of a charter. I'll use secular materials if they are the right ones, but I won't use materials that conflict with our religious beliefs. Be a math book and talk about numbers -- fine, doesn't really matter whether God is mentioned or not; be a science book and discount Creation -- no.

We are Catholic, strictly and Orthodox. However, I use whatever materials I find to be the best Catholic or Secular. I do not buy from anti-Catholic companies though, period. We use SoTW and secular science but of course have religion, bible and catechism classes as well.