Menu

Anyone have NO nursing difficulties at all?

I was discussing this with a group of women recently. Not one of us had heard of the multitude of potential breast-feeding problems prior to the birth of our first child. We all felt that we would have been better off knowing what we were in for. And we wondered why we -- a group of well-educated adult women -- had been soooo clueless.

I don't know how to set up a poll, so I'll just ask:

Did any of you have trouble-free breast-feeding? By "trouble-free" I mean no pain, no soreness, no cracks/bleeding/scabbing, no infections, plenty of milk, baby gaining steadily, no latch issues, no engorgement, no thrush.

I nursed all three, and never had an issue. Seriously, it all went pretty smoothly. Well, wait, Ds#2 did have a latching issue at first, but then he was 2 1/2 months premature, which means his "suck" reflex was weak to begin with..so it was not unexpected...I don't count that cuz it was extenuating circumstances.

Yes, I had a trouble free experience with my first child. He was in NICU and I did have to use the pump to start with, but putting him on the breast was easy peasy and I didn't have one problem. Well I did get engorged, but that's par for the course is it not?

With #2 and #3 I had lots more problems, #3 was really tough!

I've actually always wondered if the fact that I just expected to breastfeed and had no idea it could be difficult or problematic is the reason #1 was so easy. I'd heard all the horror stories by the time I had the other two.

Did any of you have trouble-free breast-feeding? By "trouble-free" I mean no pain, no soreness, no cracks/bleeding/scabbing, no infections, plenty of milk, baby gaining steadily, no latch issues, no engorgement, no thrush.

Not with my first..she was a disaster...the LLL leaders left my house thinking for sure I wasn't going to make it. My mom (a former LLL leader) was ready to go out and buy formula. She was sick, I was inverted.:glare: I had to use a pump and then tube feed....she weaned at 3 years 2 months.... Seriously....:)

my second was born a few months later. Piece of cake. she nursed whenever she wanted. the only problem I had was that she went from 9pm to 9 am without nursing. at the beginning I pumped at about 11pm but stopped that as soon as possible. she weaned herself at 18 months and I wasn't ready!!! I wanted to go longer, but those things happen.

robin in nj

Well, it came quite naturally to me so by the time I had my first issue I was already pretty experienced. The third one refused to nurse on one side for a small period of time once and she weaned herself when I became pregnant with her sister. I had one case of mastitis with #5 but I was a pro by then. The last two nursed 2.5 and 3.5 years respecitively.

My dd also did quite well and she didn't even like her breasts touched before that. He son did the refusing of one side for a small bit as well. I told her to just keep trying and they worked it out just fine.

I have always been surprised to hear that so many women have had problems. I always wonder what we did back before bottle feeding. But then I remember that times were different and most women had lots of other women around to teach and encourage them that we don't necessarily have that now.

Compared with most people, I seemed to have a pretty trouble-free run. But I was still shocked at how hard it was the first time. I couldn't believe how HUGE I got at first and how painful that was. I made too much milk and all the gulping meant my daughter vomited copious amounts of milk back at me every time she nursed. I got mastitis occasionally. I got sick of stinking like sour milk and sweat from the marathon nursing sessions (and vomit, LOL). I had a couple that didn't gain very well, but they are still so lean. I think they are just blessed with a high metabolism set-point. It caused me no end of worry though.

But no thrush, no bad latches, nothing of that nature. Then again, the worry about reflux, allergies, and lactose intolerance can stem from or be exacerbated by jumpy pediatricians. Doctors want to fix things, and when moms are confused as to why things are harder than they expected, they are going to want to find something they can diagnose. Reflux is easier to fix than breasts that flow too fast, lactose intolerance is easier to understand than a newborn with a generally irritable or high-strung nature, and slow weight gain is usually always blamed on breast feeding first instead of natural growth curves and watchful waiting. Not to say that those aren't real issues with some people, just that they are all so overdiagnosed in recent years. I've been pregnant or nursing for the past 21 years and I've been online on message boards since 1993. So these are just observations based on how I perceive breastfeeding advice has changed over the past generation (!) or so.

Barb

Typical soreness and engorgement with the first and then less but some with the second. So I'm not really sure if that should count as trouble as those are expected and I knew about those. The fourth was pretty straightforward too. But the third was horror! She had a very small mouth and really sharp tongue and that created troubles galore! But they all gained well, ate well, and I never had milk issues.

But yea to be educated, knowing successful women and have no clue about breastfeeding issues or troubles has always bothered me too. Even the books didn't tell you much just kind of glossed over it all. I always felt "why didn't I know that or have a clue about such?"

I have always been surprised to hear that so many women have had problems. I always wonder what we did back before bottle feeding. But then I remember that times were different and most women had lots of other women around to teach and encourage them that we don't necessarily have that now.

:iagree: So true.

All three of mine were trouble free. I did have mastitis with all three, but nothing that inhibited nursing or caused any problems other than not feeling well. Ds#1 weaned early; I was working and my school did not allow me time to pump each day. He actually weaned himself off the bottle at 12 months because a cup was faster. I finally weaned ds#2 at 4 years, after nursing him while pregnant with ds#3 (that was tough as I had no milk and my booKs were quite sore, but given that he wasn't really nursing, our actual nursing was still "trouble free" ;) ). Ds#3 was weaned at 3 1/2. I'm going out on a limb and thinking Little Bean will probably nurse until at least 3 as well. Even with mastitis, I would consider my nursing experiences completely trouble free - all three latched on immediately and were great nursers.

But then I remember that times were different and most women had lots of other women around to teach and encourage them that we don't necessarily have that now.

:iagree: My mom was a huge source of encouragement. She breastfed in the 60's and 70's when it was completely passe, so she didn't get a whole lot herself. I was a confident breastfeeder even though I was young. It sounds like the relationship you have with your daughter.

As for what they used to do when breastfeeding was a problem, my grandma said they'd feed the baby cow's milk with the cream sweetened with honey or sugar or corn syrup. They'd also dip a washrag in sugar water and let a screaming baby suck on it. They called it a sugar-teat :lol:

Barb

I had no problems at all. No soreness, plentiful supply but no engorgement, no infections. I nursed my first until 10 months but worked full time so she had some formula (about 1/4 of the time). I had a lumpectomy before my son was born so I was worried about nursing after but that ended up not being a problem. Ds was an emergency csection and couldn't nurse for about 6 hours after birth but had no problems and nursed until 20 months when I was pregnant with dd. She nursed about 17 months. All 3 had some jaundice but my ped was supportive of continuing nursing.

I guess the only problem I had was a complete lack of sleep.

I nursed my first baby in 1984 when he was born and I was only 17 years old.

I lived at home with my parents and I had no idea how to parent, breastfeed or anything. Up to that point in my life I never even babysat a baby, so I was totally clueless what to do with a helpless newborn that relied on me for everything.

I breastfed because I didn't know I had a choice, I never knew I could give my baby formula or that breastfeeding could be difficult. My mentor (my next door neighbor) never told me such things, she just told me that I was going to breastfeed the baby to give it everything it needed, because breastfeeding was best for my baby's health. She promised me that she would be there every step of the way to guide and help me.

My neighbor was a wonderful very hippy, very crunchy natural parenting Le Leche League Leader and she came over to my house daily to teach me how to breastfeed. She gave me tons of support and encouraged me to keep at it and keep with it. I adored her, she was my hero !

She taught me all about attachment parenting (back then they just called it "natural parenting" doing what came naturally.

She taught me about co-sleeping, baby wearing (we used big denim carriers back then called snugglies), cloth diapering and gentle discipline.

I am the parent I am today because of her presence in my life :001_smile:

I later married and went on to have 5 more children. All my children have been breastfed until they naturally weaned themselves around the 2 1/2 year mark. I co-slept with all of them and wore all of them in assorted slings, they are all still gently disciplined.

I think because I had such a great first time experience with a wonderful mentor who gave me so much support, that I never developed any kind of breastfeeding problems or hang ups (fears) about breastfeeding and it never entered my mind that breastfeeding could be difficult. Sure, I dealt with bad nipple soreness those first few weeks of each baby's life and I had one severe bout of mastitis, but it never, ever, occurred to me to give up breastfeeding. My mentor had taught me how to adapt and overcome in those situations.

Maybe my luck was that at such a young age as 17, I was highly impressionable and easy to persuade into doing something that went against the norm in those days. :lol: Natural parenting was no longer "in", it was 1984 the "me generation" and most everyone around was using formula for convience feeding.

I think the most important thing a new nursing mom can do is to find someone who will be there and offer support in helping her to adapt and overcome all breastfeeding problems and difficulties, so she can make it through the hard times.

I am very thankful to this day for my wonderful and very dedicated mentor, she meant the world to me back then when I was so young and trying to figure out how to "get it right". And today, when I look at my incredible children she means even more to me ! I truley believe she was a special angel that entered my life when I needed her most.

I think we all need those special angels that will support and help guide us when we need them.

Compared with most people, I seemed to have a pretty trouble-free run. But I was still shocked at how hard it was the first time. I couldn't believe how HUGE I got at first and how painful that was. I made too much milk and all the gulping meant my daughter vomited copious amounts of milk back at me every time she nursed. I got mastitis occasionally. I got sick of stinking like sour milk and sweat from the marathon nursing sessions (and vomit, LOL). I had a couple that didn't gain very well, but they are still so lean. I think they are just blessed with a high metabolism set-point. It caused me no end of worry though.

But no thrush, no bad latches, nothing of that nature. Then again, the worry about reflux, allergies, and lactose intolerance can stem from or be exacerbated by jumpy pediatricians. Doctors want to fix things, and when moms are confused as to why things are harder than they expected, they are going to want to find something they can diagnose. Reflux is easier to fix than breasts that flow too fast, lactose intolerance is easier to understand than a newborn with a generally irritable or high-strung nature, and slow weight gain is usually always blamed on breast feeding first instead of natural growth curves and watchful waiting. Not to say that those aren't real issues with some people, just that they are all so overdiagnosed in recent years. I've been pregnant or nursing for the past 21 years and I've been online on message boards since 1993. So these are just observations based on how I perceive breastfeeding advice has changed over the past generation (!) or so.

Barb

Wow, I have pretty much had the same experience all the way around! I had some trouble with my first staying awake long enough to nurse, but once he got that down, I never really had any issues with any others. Except for all the Barb mentioned of course, LOL--getting huge, spraying milk with let-down, mastitis occasionally (3 times out of 7 children).

And I've also had a few that haven't gained much weight with nursing. My second was like this, and I weaned him at 5 1/2 months because I was scared (the peds kept being vaguely disproving, and I thought I was doing something wrong). Once I started him on a bottle and solid food . . . he kept gaining very little weight (always below the 5th percentile in weight), and now at 11 he is still very skinny (but now almost up to the 10th percentile!). Sooo . . . obviously it wasn't the nursing, and that has given me the assurance to just keep on nursing my other skinny babies and not worry at all about what the doctors say. My 6th child, a girl, didn't consistently stay over 20 pounds until she was almost 2, and she is still a light little puff of air, LOL.

I agree with the jumpy pediatricians sometimes exacerbating problems as well. "Let's just medicate--must be reflux" often seems to be the solution (not saying there aren't legitimate cases of reflux at all!). Reminds me of ADHD!

I have nursed seven babies.

- 1st had latch-on problems for the first month, + mastitis once.

- Perfect experience with 2nd.

- 3rd bit me when he got startled when 1 day old. I bled for a month; he drank it anyway. I also got mastitis a couple of times.

- 4th had latch-on difficulties for about 2 weeks.

- 5th and 6th and I got thrush (twins nursed at the same time). Terrible!

- 7th was perfect.

Overall I think all but thrush were just bumps in the road. I believe the thrush was not really a nursing issue, but an immune/stress problem associated with carrying twins to full-term. The biting problem with the 3rd was a personality issue; he startles easily.

It was good overall!

GardenMom

I was discussing this with a group of women recently. Not one of us had heard of the multitude of potential breast-feeding problems prior to the birth of our first child. We all felt that we would have been better off knowing what we were in for. And we wondered why we -- a group of well-educated adult women -- had been soooo clueless.

I think this is interesting. I don't know anyone who did NOT know of the possible issues before the birth of their first child. They talked about all the possible problems and solutions at the hospital baby classes I went to when I was pg with my first. So when I cracked & bled, I knew to just go out and purchase a nipple guard.

I'm sure glad I did know, otherwise I would have stopped right then! That was crazy painful.

I don't know how to set up a poll, so I'll just ask:

I had no trouble with milk-I had too much, great latchers except for the preemie twins but eventually we all got the hang of a double football hold feed. :-) babies all gained, yes engorgement when my milk caught up with the growth spurts (but that what's it's supposed to do) and at the beginning of course my nipples cracked and bled but it was not a serious problem and it's kind of like getting a callous. Makes sense, no? I had a wonderful breastfeeding experience (that lasted FOREVER AND EVER AMEN) and nursed all mine for a least two years, with only one plugged duct in that time. I also had 6 pretty fantastic births.

BUUUT I also had an awesome woman in my life who when she found out I was pregnant-slapped Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin in my hands and that was my BIBLE.

Edited by justamouse

I think this is interesting. I don't know anyone who did NOT know of the possible issues before the birth of their first child. They talked about all the possible problems and solutions at the hospital baby classes I went to when I was pg with my first. So when I cracked & bled, I knew to just go out and purchase a nipple guard.

I'm sure glad I did know, otherwise I would have stopped right then! That was crazy painful.

Our theory is that people don't want to tell you because then you won't want to try. Also, I was one of the first in my group of friends to have a baby. I'm sure that contributed to my ignorance.

I had heard vague references to possible trouble getting started. But, really, I hadn't heard of bleeding, searing pain, bloody milk, or thrush so painful it felt like a knife in my breast.

Funny thing with me was the lactation consultants I encountered. Lovely, sweet, knowledgeable ladies all of them. I had terrible problems with bleeding. So, the consultants would tell me about a good latch -- wide open mouth, ram the baby on, etc. So I'd do that. They'd oooh and ahh about how perfect it looked. Sweet , encouraging, positive consultants every time. Meanwhile, I'd be sweating in pain trying not to cry. They'd say how perfect the latch looked now that I'd come in for help.

Then I'd take the baby off and they'd see all the blood. Miserable!

I made it through with both boys and kept on nursing. But it was plain terrible at the beginning.

I had quick, easy deliveries. Nursing was when I needed pain relief.

I've nursed 3 babies and have yet to have a problem-free experience. There was improvement each time, but I still had to work hard on supply issues and cracking with the last one.

But I never assumed it would be easy b/c everyone around me who *did* talk about bf'ing (and few did) told me nothing but horror stories that all ended with early weaning. Unfortunately, that "helped" me to give up early with my first two nursers.

It wasn't until I did my own research that I was able to nurse my last baby for an entire year, despite our hurdles. I definitely hope to go longer this time around, even knowing that it won't automatically be easy!

I had no abnormal engorgement, but milk did "come in" noticeably with all three babies (most noticeably with my first). Out of ten years of nursing, I've had one case of mastitis. Nothing else. Knock wood.

Totally 100% trouble-free here, with both of my babies. I nursed on demand (theirs, not mine :)), never even considered scheduling them. We also co-slept for awhile. I think that really helps with some of the issues that can cause problems when they are still little babies. We also practiced child-led weaning and also had no problems associated with weaning. They just stopped when they were done.

I had minor problems but no major problems. Even though I read a lot and had a pro-breastfeeding mom (who gave me really bad breastfeeding advice), I definitely feel that at certain times I wish I had known more because I really could have saved myself and my kids a lot of trouble. I have gotten mostly ROTTEN or useless breastfeeding advice (or none) from, say, medical professionals as well as people I know. Books like The Nursing Mother's Companion and websites (like kellymom) helped a lot with dealing with the problems that did arise. I also felt under-prepared for the period when the baby both eats and nurses.

only brief problems w/ first and third. none at all w/ second.

w/ 1 and 3 I had a week or so of cracking and soreness, but lansinoh helped a lot.

w/ 3 I had some kind of infection that had to be treated w/ antibiotics, which did the trick. it was nothing dramatic, though.

all in all, i've had a terrifically easy time of it. Bet. the 3 kids I've nursed over four years and counting, so I consider my stats pretty good.

i did read several books about nursing, though, before and during the nursing periods.

I will have nursed for 11 years in row next month! Most of that time nursing two.

I have had little to no problems in the first 6 months or so of nursing each baby (I have 4 kids). I do get engorged for about 24 hrs around 5 days after, it doesn't matter how much my toddler nurses, or I prepare, I get it every time. But no cracking, bleeding, supply problems, infections, ect.

Of course in 11 years I have seen most of that, just not with new borns. When my first two were about 10 mo+ and 2y+ I did get mastitis twice and plugged ducts a couple times. When my 3rd was about 2yo and I was pregnant with my 4th I/we got thrush. It was terrible. I had never appreciated breastfeeding difficulties before this. I am very impressed with women who get through this with a new born. At least at almost 2 and low supply from my pregnancy it didn't matter if he didn't nurse at all on the sorest side, and even then he only nursed once or twice a day.

I truly believe the thing that made the biggest difference in my nursing was being around nursing lots as a teen. My brother and sis (yes the 14yo in my sig) were born when I was 14 and 17 and most all of my highschool years there was a baby nursing in our house. At the dining table, in the recliner when I got up in the morning, everywhere.

I had no issues with dd, and very early went to long feedings and long in between them.

Ds was a totally different story. He has a very small mouth and couldn't latch on right for 3 whole weeks. He nursed short and frequent for a very long time. He didn't sleep well and wanted to nurse a lot at night, too. Those were the most sleep deprived days of my life.

I had no troubles with my bio babies except them wanting to nurse too much.

With my first, the nurse said go as long baby will. Well baby never wanted to stop, so I didn't stop. Well then I learned she was thinking 15 or 20 minutes not the hour and half we'd just completed when finally said enough!

With next one, the only issue I had was getting him to take a cup or bottle. :001_huh: I think he was 18 months before he had anything out of cup. But nursing him was so easy. Pumping was hard - I have never been able to get much unless I pumped while feeding then I got a ton.

My adopted ones weren't so easy, but that's to be expected. Still no real issues other than latch and supply.

With my first we both got thrush. I seem to think I had mastitis also.

With my second I had cracks and bleeding briefly.

Engorgement? Nothing severe. Just a little in the first few weeks while the supply was getting regulated. The first and third nursed a lot, so if I went 30 minutes without nursing, I had milk ALL THE TIME.

No problems at all with babies 3 & 4.

I've never had a latching problem with any of my four babies.

Other than a brief stressful/traumatic event when baby #2 was 6 weeks old, I've never had a milk shortage. The lactation consultant referred to me as a Milk Goddess.

Pain and soreness? I cannot remember with the first 2, but I do remember with the second 2 being sore for about the first week. I would kind of twitch and make a face my eyes were going to pop out of my head during the initial latch. I just assumed that was normal though.

I was originally going to say that I had trouble free nursing. But given the descriptions of trouble you've given, I guess I did have a little.