Menu

Looking for a baby name

We are looking for a 1st name for a girl. The middle name will be Ruth. My husband says he wants a nice old fashion name like Abigail,Madeleine or Hadassah. We thaught about Emaleigh but there is so many Emilys in this world and want something more different. He likes names Like Sidney or Alexia too. We want something common But not over used Like Isabella or Sophia. and help?

I love Charlotte, Catherine, Susannah, Caroline, Annabelle, and Margaret.

The Social Security Admin. has a website with all the top ten/top 100 baby names for each state over various periods of years. Maybe go and see what is current and choose something NOT there?! :)

A sweet friend is Naomi Ruth.

Other possibilities I like for the first name:

Victoria

Eliza

Clara

Mary

Sarah

Evelyn (pronounced ev uh lynn)

Geneva (nickname Genny)

Illora

Julia

Nancy

Opal

Quincie

Stella

Mamie (rhymes with name -E)

Phoebe

Samantha

Ursula

Yvonne or Yvetta

Well two of my daughter's names are old fashioned, Annabelle and Evangeline. If we had another girl her name would be either Esme Coralie or Josephine Claire which I think would fit the old fashioned vibe. I also love Etta and Odette. Magdeline Ruth is another that may work for you.

Awww, Hadassa, I second that! :) I LOVE that name. Too bad it didn't really fit our latest name combination for the next child, otherwise she could have been Hadassa.

But for some reason, with Ruth, I'd opt for Ruth Hadassa rather than Hadassa Ruth. Or maybe not? :confused: I don't know, both sound good now when written.

Regarding other names that might have that "old" flavor, I can think of a few that would go well with Ruth: Brigitte, Claire / Clara, Michelle, Dolores, Therese, Marcella, Otilia, Elvira, Gertrude, Genevieve / Ginevra, Agnes, Daphne, Berenice, Sebastienne, Aurelia, Sylvie. Hm. Running out of imagination. :D

As you can see in my siggy, we have a new baby girl. She's our foster daughter (the bio sister of the 2 little guys we just adopted) and if we are blessed to be able to adopt her also her name will be Claudia Grace (I put Claudia in the siggy even though it's not legally her name yet - positive thinking!). Claudia would sound nice with Ruth! We chose it because it is uncommon but not unusual.

We're in a similar boat. We have a Lydia Rose and I'm less than 3 weeks with our second girl and we cannot for the life of us agree on a name. We like Abigail, Annabelle, Charlotte, Savannah, etc.

One place I found very helpful for finding names in similar style is http://www.babynamewizard.com. It's the best baby name website out there, imo. I hope you figure out what you want to do!

Naomi Ruth (honoring the Naomi Ruth biblical connection)

Anna Ruth (one of my favorite ladies was named Anna Ruth)

Mary Ruth (I like)

Miriam Ruth

I second the person who voted Lydia Ruth...(nice also)

Let us know what you go with to satiate the curiosity BUZZING around here!

(I'd stick with the biblical names as your other kiddos).

Edited by mhg

So, I pm'd you... I swear you have the same names as a person on the Christian Mothers Yahoo Group... Possibly Yes?

Anyway, I always like to think of... what your baby will like :) How bout Evangeline Ruth.... with the nickname "AY va". I love it... Evangeline Ruth. I think your baby... when all grown up... would love it :)

:)