Menu

Vent: Humane Society made me sooooo mad!

I can't tell you how frustrated we are. Our family has been wanting a dog ever since we moved onto our acreage. We decided yesterday was the day, and we piled into the van for a 2+ hour drive to the humane society in the nearest large city. We thought they would want to adopt to us - young family living in the country with lots of love for a dog. Seemed simple. Well, we weren't good enough.

We found the PERFECT puppy for our family. I filled out the application and we were rejected. Why? Well, first, our two cats aren't spayed or neutered. I told them we wanted to have kittens - we live on a farmette in the country and we want the experience of having kittens. Our kittens will be spayed and neutered, well taken care of, and loved more than they could want. Not good enough. They treated us like lower life forms for even considering letting our two adopted cats breed. Why does our status with our much beloved cats have anything to do with taking care of a dog? Our chickens and guinea fowl aren't fixed either. Dh & I aren't fixed either for that matter. We agreed and planned on having our dog fixed, so I don't get the problem.

Then, we wanted an outside dog. They decided that the YELLOW LAB puppy we picked had to be an inside dog. What? We have five beautiful acres perfect for a large, active dog and five active children. A yellow lab is a large, active dog.

Anyway, we walked away disgusted after being rejected and treated like vermin. Our kids were crying. It was just horrible.

We will be going to a breeder next time since we aren't good enough for a rescued dog. Unbelievable.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we were ever questioned that much when we adopted from the Humane Society last time. However, the dog we adopted ended up having mange and cost us a ton of money before we took her back a year and a half later. Never again- We have bought from breeders since and will from now on.

The Humane Society near us is the same.

They want you to sign away your Constitutional rights against unreasonable search and seizure (give them the right, in writing, to come in your home at any time to make sure the pet is being cared for properly - without a warrant or even any reasonable evidence of abuse) and take the pet back if they DON'T LIKE how you're caring for it (even if you are not legally abusing it).

As far as they are concerned, no dog should ever be allowed outside except for a walk on a leash.

The dogs must have a non-employed adult available to be at home with them at all times.

You can't be planning on moving or have moved recently (too unsettling for the dog.)

You must have vet records proving you have had all previous pets neutered and vaccinated, since the beginning of time.

And, of course, your FARM animals must be neutered!

It's a wonder they ever find any "forever homes" for their pets!

I think Humane Societies can be unreasonable and I do know many people who have been rejected for reasons that make no sense.

Why can't a large dog live inside your house and enjoy all your acreage with your kids?

I have to agree that your cats need to be spayed/neutered. If you want kittens there are shelters overrun with them.

Labs are pack animals - they are happiest inside with the family (who is their "pack".) We have 2 that we got as puppies 8 years ago. They sleep with my dc - sometimes even in their beds. Yes, they are 80 and 100 pounds!:lol: They would be miserable outside all the time. Is your five acres fenced?

As for the other, my father and stepmother wanted to adopt two kittens but the SPCA required that they have their dog fixed first. They had not done it because they were going to breed her (pure bred and they had no intentions of selling puppies.) They did it anyway because they really wanted the kittens.

I know that these organizations often have CRAZY requirements. I don't think this one's requirements are all that bad. Trust me, if you live in the country and get your cats fixed, you most likely will still get to experience kittens - there are tons of un-fixed strays that will be happy to have kittens under your porch, in your shed, etc. One of the cats we have now is from a stray cat that had kittens. We kept one of them and my mother took in the mama.

The Humane Society near us is the same.

They want you to sign away your Constitutional rights against unreasonable search and seizure (give them the right, in writing, to come in your home at any time to make sure the pet is being cared for properly - without a warrant or even any reasonable evidence of abuse) and take the pet back if they DON'T LIKE how you're caring for it (even if you are not legally abusing it).

As far as they are concerned, no dog should ever be allowed outside except for a walk on a leash.

The dogs must have a non-employed adult available to be at home with them at all times.

You can't be planning on moving or have moved recently (too unsettling for the dog.)

You must have vet records proving you have had all previous pets neutered and vaccinated, since the beginning of time.

And, of course, your FARM animals must be neutered!

It's a wonder they ever find any "forever homes" for their pets!

Yes, some of the organizations are absolutely CRAZY in their requirements! I have heard of some of these as well.

It is standard practice for the Humane Society. They have put stringent rules in place. All logic and reasoning ability have left the building. Animals must be treated like humans. (Other than the forced spay/neuter, of course.) Let the kids experience the birth of kittens. I know you are planning on keeping them all and stopping unwanted births after. Get a dog and treat it like a dog. Let it run with the kids on your farm. (I would suggest letting it be an inside/outside dog. If not, I'm sure you have somewhere for it to bed down and be safe from the elements.

The Humane Society has these rules because so many people let time slip up on them and don't get the cats fixed fast enough repetitively. They end up bringing in the kittens. They get a dog thinking that it will be fine outside playing with the kids all day, and then the dog ends up lonely because the kids don't go outside that much. The weather is nasty for long stretches keeping them in, or they just get older really fast and don't want to roam the acreage. Dog gets bored and ends up being a nuisance. Dog is returned. Because they see it happening, they don't realize that there are a lot of families who DO what they are saying they will and have animals that live long, happy lives. They never see those animals. I think they have trouble believing that they exist.

Um, are you serious?

This is an organization who gets in millions of animals worldwide that are unwanted due to people not fixing their pets. They think it would be fun to have pups/kittens, then don't know what to do with them once the cuteness wears off and no one adopts them.

And as far as an outside dog, well of course. If God forbid I had to rehome one of my dogs, I would be the same way. Oh, we really really want a family pet to love, but by the way, it has to live outside. Yeh--thanks, but no thanks.

Really, I don't understand your outrage. Sounds like they were doing the responsible thing to me.

Why can't a dog live outside?? It is dog.

I can't tell you how frustrated we are. Our family has been wanting a dog ever since we moved onto our acreage. We decided yesterday was the day, and we piled into the van for a 2+ hour drive to the humane society in the nearest large city. We thought they would want to adopt to us - young family living in the country with lots of love for a dog. Seemed simple. Well, we weren't good enough.

We found the PERFECT puppy for our family. I filled out the application and we were rejected. Why? Well, first, our two cats aren't spayed or neutered. I told them we wanted to have kittens - we live on a farmette in the country and we want the experience of having kittens. Our kittens will be spayed and neutered, well taken care of, and loved more than they could want. Not good enough. They treated us like lower life forms for even considering letting our two adopted cats breed. Why does our status with our much beloved cats have anything to do with taking care of a dog? Our chickens and guinea fowl aren't fixed either. Dh & I aren't fixed either for that matter. We agreed and planned on having our dog fixed, so I don't get the problem.

Then, we wanted an outside dog. They decided that the YELLOW LAB puppy we picked had to be an inside dog. What? We have five beautiful acres perfect for a large, active dog and five active children. A yellow lab is a large, active dog.

Anyway, we walked away disgusted after being rejected and treated like vermin. Our kids were crying. It was just horrible.

We will be going to a breeder next time since we aren't good enough for a rescued dog. Unbelievable.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry that happened to you. Some friends of ours had a yellow lab who preferred being outside. They had a very nice doghouse for him, gave him lots of attention, walked him a few times daily, discussed safe temps with their vet, etc. But their whacked-out neighbor stole their dog because he thought the dog was being abused by being outside. So ridiculous.

I think Humane Societies can be unreasonable and I do know many people who have been rejected for reasons that make no sense.

Why can't a large dog live inside your house and enjoy all your acreage with your kids?

I have to agree that your cats need to be spayed/neutered. If you want kittens there are shelters overrun with them.

:iagree: I was also rejected by a Humane Society for rediculous reasons. I pitched a fit, called every person on the board of directors and won my case, getting the puppy I had applied for. Many "animal rights" people are quite judgemental and self-righteous! (not all, just saying many) But just so you know, the reasons you were rejected are completly normal and customary.

I happen to agree about the kittens. The world is so over run with cats that NO ONE should ever intentionally plan to breed them. It could be assumed that you just don't "get it" if you plan to breed your cats and may make other decisions that would contribute to the horrific over population of animals. We've had a farm for 7 years. My kids have begged me to let them have a litter of puppies or kittens. My concience would never allow it. The answer will forever be no! It truly is irresponsible.

I vehemently DO NOT agree about the outdoor dog reason. This is something that sticks in my craw. It has been discussed here many times. There are those folks who think that ALL dogs must be indoor dogs. We have even had people on this forum say that euthanasia would be better for a dog then being adopted out to a loving family that would keep the dog outside. Ludicris. I have very happy, very healthy, outdoor dogs. It's a farm for goodness sakes, and they are farm dogs. They would be misserable in the house!

So, I'm with you on one reason, against you on another. But I just wanted to tell you that, right or wrong, almost all animals shelters would have done the same thing. All except here in Arkansas. Here, they don't ask questions. You come in, you pay $25, you get a pet, at least at the one here in Russellville. (I'm not saying that's right either.)

My suggestion: why don't you look on craigslist for a give away or inexpensive dog or puppy. There are many.

:grouphug: I am very sorry that your family had such a terrible experience and that your kids, who simply can't understand, were so upset. I hope you are soon able to have a wonderful, happy, puppy bringing home day!

I do understand the spay requirement even though you have your reasons. So many times people have the best intentions and their cat has kittens which get taken to the shelter. The shelters need this rule in place because they are overrun with animals.

where I disagree is that the dog has to be inside. Not all dogs are happiest inside.

We have a Great Pyrenees and a pitbull/beagle mix, both of which are inside only dogs. They are only allowed outside on a leash since they always manage to run off when off leash. We have two acres, one of which is fenced. These dogs would love to be "let loose" outside more often but are definitely inside dogs. However, we used to have a black lab, Giddeon. We actually adopted him from the local shelter with intent on being an inside dog. He just loved it outside too much even though he loved being with us too. He would go to the door and moan and wail until allowed outside and then he would curl up in the corner of the carport. We finally built him a house in his favorite spot and he never went inside. He would sleep outside the door of his house underneath the carport. In the morning when we came outside, he was right there ready to run over. He never left our two acres, the only dog allowed to roam beyond our one acre fence. He never ran off. He played with the kids regularly and was just a great dog. He passed away of old age a few years ago before we got the Great Pyr and beagle/pit. I loved Giddy and know he preferred it outside. He was well cared for and loved. I wouldn't change a thing about how we cared for him.

We had another dog when we first married, Tess, a australian shepherd. She was an outside dog primarily but we let her inside every day after work. She would lay with us and play but when we got ready to go to bed, she would go outside the doggie door and lay on our front step. We locked the doggie door on bad weather days and she would seem miserable. She loved to run and run outside. We got her from the local vet that was supposed to put her down because she had lost her hearing. We taught her signs and never had an issue with hearing. However, we didn't have lots of yard or time home during the day and she would get bored and destroy things. If we kept her busy, she was fine. It is her breed. we ffinally decided to give her away to a great elderly couple that had 14 acres. They wanted her as a companion more than anything and she would have room too roam. We saw her a few years later and she seemed very happy, as an outside companion dog.

I gave those two examples because I don't think it is as cut and dry as some people make it out to be. Yes, a dog needs shelter from the elements whether that means their own home or inside. If the dog is outside, you must make sure they get daily interaction from you the same as if they are inside underfoot all the time. For me, it is easier to have the dog inside than outside. Less cleanings (LOL), always there to pet, and when I am too busy, they are still getting interaction somewhat by just being near. However if you have the outside dog, it too can work and be a great home. Better than the other option of a lifetime at the shelter or death. JMO.

I would suggest having the cats altered. One experience you will likely get to enjoy :glare: living in the country, is nice people 'gifting' you kittens.

People drive around looking for a spot to dump off unwanted cats, they often target out of the way houses, or houses with barns. Since this housing crunch has ramped up, we have been gifted with quite a few. Some of the kittens were barely old enough for solid food. You don't want to add to the overabundance.

With the dog, a dog does need to be with the family. A dog running at large in the country can get hit by a car, irritate neighbors, sprayed by skunks, get into mouse poison, you name it.

Could you set up an area in say, your utility room for the dog, place the dog's dishes and bed in there? You do not have to let the dog sleep with you. Even being the major dog people we are, none of the dogs here are allowed on any of the beds, and they know that.

Often you can find dogs being given away on the 'pet' section of Craigs List, even purebred.

If you end up spending money by going with a breeder, make sure the parents are tested for Hip dysplasia, make sure you see the certificate. Hip problems are major issues in Labs.

Look for someone who has a hunting background/history. Watch out for a person who says they are not interested in those types of things- just bought labs and bred them.

They are your cats, you should be able to do with them as you see fit as long as they aren't abused. I perfectly understand not wanting to buy kittens when your cats are perfectly able to make kittens.

I also think that you are capable of making a decision of whether you want an indoor, indoor/outdoor, or outdoor dog.

The SPCA is known to way overstep their authority. I don't know if breed rescue groups are the same way or not, but that is another option in addition to craigslist and the newspaper.

The sad thing is unless they find someone to take that lab puppy, it will be put down. How is that better than being adopted out to a loving family?

Why can't a dog live outside?? It is dog.

as long as it's pack also lives outside:) Since I sleep inside, my dog does too.

Actually, I have no problem with a dog living outside under the right circumstances and as long as it has shelter and is not a barker. Most does would probably think all that acreage was a great trade off. But unless it's fenced securely, the dog may not really get to enjoy the land so well.

Sorry, but the world has plenty of kittens and it is irresponsible to bring more into the world just for your own experience - -as you noted, you have other farm animals that serve the same purpose but aren't regularly euthanized.

As for the lab, most labs are active and wonderful pets that need lots of exercise so a farm would be awesome! But dogs are meant to be in packs -- human or other dogs. They were not meant to fend for themselves in the wild, and you do have wild animals that would prey on him!!!! Why get a dog???? Do you have a fence to protect him? Would you bathe him regularly? Walk him? Bring him in to play with him? How would he be integrated into your family?

I

I was rejected too, and heard of many others, e.g. the 60 year old woman who walked every day might "end up in a nursing home, and the dog would be back at the kennel" (she was very youthful looking).

I finally lied. I did have to purchase a fence, which I did not put up and sold to a friend the next day. Go to the papers, ask around.

I am guessing too many horror stories have burnt these people, because I've had trouble in 2 different states, and I am an extremely diligent pet owner.

Go to Craigslist, many times there are FREE puppies there that need homes...we live on a farm and 'drop offs' are frequent...we just don't have the funds to spay/neuter every cat that gets dumped here and two of them were dumped when they were pregnant! Our dogs are all indoors..from big to frou frou...but they routinely go out in our pastures with no leashes...the first year we had them leashed every time until we knew they knew the lay of the land....now they go out, it's way too hot for a dog to be outside (100 everyday) so they last 5 minutes of play and are exhausted...

Good luck...we still have 2 kittens we're trying to find homes for and I make sure they are getting spayed/neutered b/c I don't want others to go through what we have raising other people's accidents..

Tara

Our local Humane Society received over 2800 cats and kittens last year. That's why they want cats altered. You may not like it, but they have a right to set that requirement. It has nothing to do with you personally and everything to do with the horrendous, horrendous overpopulation of unwanted cats. I agree with others that it is irresponsible to allow your cats to breed.

I grew up on three acres and my dogs roamed the land, but they could come in any time they wanted. Dogs want to be with their family, and a single lab that lived outside would be an unhappy dog. It would be lonely. We had labs the whole time I was growing up, and they have a strong need for companionship.

Tara

Guest Dulcimeramy
Sorry, but the world has plenty of kittens and it is irresponsible to bring more into the world just for your own experience.

Some people say the same thing about babies. Maybe this mother wants her children to learn that mama cats have baby kittens, as God and nature intended. She's not going to neglect the kittens.

As for the lab, most labs are active and wonderful pets that need lots of exercise so a farm would be awesome! But dogs are meant to be in packs -- human or other dogs. They were not meant to fend for themselves in the wild, and you do have wild animals that would prey on him!!!! Why get a dog???? Do you have a fence to protect him? Would you bathe him regularly? Walk him? Bring him in to play with him? How would he be integrated into your family?

I guess my farm childhood was in a different time (or universe). Our outside dog was part of the family. He slept on the porch, came in when the weather was horrible, rode in the truck every time we left home, had the run of the farm, and was cared for VERY well.

Of course we bathed our dog, of course he saw a veterinarian, of course our property was fenced.

We didn't walk him!!!! How silly. He ran and leaped and played, outdoors, all day long.

He didn't need "brought in to integrate with the family." The family was outdoors with him most of the time.

Shaking my head, here.

I have to chime in here. I had a dream last night that three kittens wandered (or were dumped) on our homestead. We currently have two that we got from a friend. Well, lo and behold, we wake up this morning to THREE KITTENS under our van. I couldn't believe it! Now I don't know what to do with them. I mean, we already have TWO of our own. I DON'T want three more!

I vote for spaying/neutering your cats. Please. Like I said, I don't know if these three were dumped or wandered, but I DON'T WANT THEM, lololol. Off my soapbox now!

As far as experiencing the birth of kittens go, I'd call around and see if there are any local shelters or pet foster families that would be willing to give you a call when their abandoned cats go into labor. It's happening ALL. THE. TIME., without intentionally breeding.

It's also important to remember that many cats run and hide to give birth, so an intentional breeding may result in missing the whole thing, anyway.

And kittenhood is over SO fast, yet comes with years of responsibility. We've adopted two puppies (at about 8 and 12 weeks old) and two kittens (claimed 6wk, but we think they were probably younger). My kids barely remember anything about that time.

While we love our adult cats and dogs, there was nothing inherently special or lasting about their baby periods. There was nothing babyish about them after 6-8 months, and now they're our responsibility for years to come (which was the whole point).

If you want your kids to experience kittens, humane societies and cat rescue organization often look for temporary foster homes for pregnant cats and the kittens until they are old enough to adopt out. If you fall in love along the way you could always adopt the cat and/or some of the kittens. If you're willing to keep & spay/neuter an entire litter of kittens from your current cats then you probably don't care if you have several cats.

I agree that sometimes the rules can be over-the-top (I've known MANY people with bad humane society experiences) a lot of the time these rules are in place for a reason.

That is ridiculous.

I'm frankly tired of having other people think they can legislate everything.

With all the libertarians on this board, I'm amazed so many people think that the Humane society should be allowed to dictate to you whether or not you allow your OWN animals to breed. Your cats, your kittens, your problem. They should stay out of it.

Dogs have lived outside for thousands of years. The bigger problem is that people have moved inside. Maybe the Humane society should just start dictating that people get their butts back outside with their dogs. LOL.

Edited by Daisy

That is ridiculous.

With all the libertarians on this board, I'm amazed so many people think that the Humane society should be allowed to dictate to you whether or not you allow your OWN animals to breed.

Dogs have lived outside for thousands of years. The bigger problem is that people have moved inside. Maybe the Humane society should just start dictating that people get their butts back outside with their dogs.

But none of this is legislated. I live in one of the biggest puppy mill states, with huge animal abuse issues, and little is ever done about any of it. People are free to do pretty much whatever they want with their animals, and sell or give away to whomever they like.

Many organizations set higher standards, and are perfectly entitled to. Don't like it? Go elsewhere. There's a seller out there to suit just about any ethical standard (or lack of standard) imaginable.

That is ridiculous.

With all the libertarians on this board, I'm amazed so many people think that the Humane society should be allowed to dictate to you whether or not you allow your OWN animals to breed. Your cats, your kittens, your problem. They should stay out of it.

Dogs have lived outside for thousands of years. The bigger problem is that people have moved inside. Maybe the Humane society should just start dictating that people get their butts back outside with their dogs. LOL.

:iagree: :lol::lol::lol:

I think they do it based on the sheer principle of their business - ours kills several unwanted cats each month because there are so many and placement for a cat is far and few between. I think it's just a basic rule for them that they don't want an animal (or it's offspring) back so they can euthanize it. I would suggest bypassing them if you don't want to spay or neuter your animals. Check your local paper. You might even have luck with petfinder, especially if your area is primarily rural.

And, yellow labs need to be loved a great deal - and they love to be outside and run and play. Just my opinion, but if you choose a dog like that, I'd at least have him be an indoor/outdoor guy.

But none of this is legislated. I live in one of the biggest puppy mill states, with huge animal abuse issues, and little is ever done about any of it. People are free to do pretty much whatever they want with their animals, and sell or give away to whomever they like.

Many organizations set higher standards, and are perfectly entitled to. Don't like it? Go elsewhere. There's a seller out there to suit just about any ethical standard (or lack of standard) imaginable.

Ahhh, my mistake in assuming it was most places. It is tightly legislated here in CA or at least in my county. From how many animals you have per square footage to how you transfer ownership to another family is all legislated here.

With all the libertarians on this board, I'm amazed so many people think that the Humane society should be allowed to dictate to you whether or not you allow your OWN animals to breed.

They don't. They merely set criteria for whether someone can adopt from them.

Tara

I think they do it based on the sheer principle of their business - ours kills several unwanted cats each month because there are so many and placement for a cat is far and few between. I think it's just a basic rule for them that they don't want an animal (or it's offspring) back so they can euthanize it. I would suggest bypassing them if you don't want to spay or neuter your animals. Check your local paper. You might even have luck with petfinder, especially if your area is primarily rural.

And, yellow labs need to be loved a great deal - and they love to be outside and run and play. Just my opinion, but if you choose a dog like that, I'd at least have him be an indoor/outdoor guy.

My understanding is the shelter is upset that the family already owns two unfixed cats. Even when told they would breed once and then be fixed, this was unsatisfactory to the shelter. I can completely understand a shelter only giving away spayed & neutered animals (and that is how it works in my county) but to demand that all other previously owned animals be fixed seems over-reaching.

They don't. They merely set criteria for whether someone can adopt from them.

Tara

This family was told they could not adopt a dog because the cats they ALREADY owned were not yet fixed. That is a whole different ballgame, imo.

This family was told they could not adopt a dog because the cats they ALREADY owned were not yet fixed. That is a whole different ballgame, imo.

You said that the Humane Society was setting criteria on whether or not a family could allow their own pets to breed. They are not doing that. They are simply saying, "If you allow your pets to breed, you can't adopt from us." That's not the same thing as dictating whether people can allow their pets to breed.

Tara

I understand the wanting of the "experience" of having a cat have kitties. You might get a close experience by having a foster mama that has kittens. Often, you can have both mama and kittens after. There are just SO many. I have a friend who has a farm... who keeps cats .... and they keep having kittens. She's a wonderful lady... just doesn't feel the same about this. To ME means... have a cat... have it fixed.... BUT, perhaps it's not all of our responsibility to take only the "unwanted" and not have any "wanted". One thing I would say, is that if you have kittens, you might have the new owners pay for a spay at their vet before taking them. While YOU might have room for kitties and be ok with keeping them forever.... the city is not so lucky! We have SOOOO many kitties born around here... that become ferrel... we don't have enough room...

About the dog, I agree that a dog can be outside a ton of them time, at night.... consider putting them in the crate in one of your children's rooms. There's a ton of reasons this is important, including bonding, and keeping the pup safe. If you don't have fencing... that is an issue at well. Though it can't keep animals from getting YOUR animal, consider invisible fencing which is pretty inexpensive if you run the wire yourself.

I would consider a dog that could come inside each night, trails behind the children in for goodies... etc.... an inside dog... Really, you might be surprised at how your dog develops if you make it a part of your family, instead of just a "farm dog". BUT, yes... like your children... it will want to spend a ton of time outside. :)

I'm sorry about your experience. Our local animal shelter used to be extremely strict about who could adopt. I think they changed their tune. This summer I adopted a kitten and they asked very few questions, they just wanted them to have homes. It was a great deal, too. They have an arrangement with local vets to spay for the cost of adoption. We'll probably adopt another kitten before long.

By outside dog, do you mean inside/outside dog?

You said that the Humane Society was setting criteria on whether or not a family could allow their own pets to breed. They are not doing that. They are simply saying, "If you allow your pets to breed, you can't adopt from us." That's not the same thing as dictating whether people can allow their pets to breed.

Tara

Okay, I apologize. I assumed too much shared information which is not the case. Sorry. My animal shelter never adopts out animals that are not already spayed and neutered, so they are in effect making the decision for the adopted family. I have no problem with that.

My problem was with the shelter telling the family that because they have cats they want to breed, they will not be allowed to adopt a fixed dog. Yes, I suppose it is the shelter's right to say that, but I feel it is legislating in that our shelter is owned by the county. Perhaps it works differently in other cities. Our shelter was taken over by the county.

So basically our shelter (which has similar rules) is saying, we'd rather add that dog to the nearly 12,000 animals (accurate number taken from local article) that are euthanized in our county every year then let you adopt it.

Jennifer,

I hope this helps. We live in a free country so do as you desire, but please take this into consideration.

We have our second female yellow lab. Our first one passed away and we had her 11 years. Our 2nd lab now turns 7 this Oct. We love dogs and labs! We have a cat too.

As you know cats are more independent (not as social). Dogs are highly social and run with the pack. The family they are adopted into IS their family "pack". I do agree that the lab would fare better by being "mostly" an inside dog, but that does not need they can't be outside. 24 hours outside is a looooong time for a social animal. The fowl and other animals you have is "not" their pack.

I just mentioned we have our 2nd lab. A little about our cat...we adopted our cat via an internet animal posting site. My allergies after many years subsided. I was highly allergic to cats then it stopped. Has been so now for 4 years. Well, my 11 yo dd really wanted a cat years ago. I gave it 2 more years of being allergy symptom free then decided that we could now get a cat. Our cat was at a high kill shelter in CA/Bay area. A college student there also volunteers at that local shelter. She volunteers with an older woman who is a flight attendant. Ashley (college student) posted the cat as she was keeping Lucy, our cat, and other animals as a foster Mom. I repied to her post. I did NOT tell her about our lab b/c I thought she would not give us the cat. However, honesty is the best policy.....so, I did tell her and she was relieved b/c our cat was being socialized with dogs she was fostering. She chose us to adopt Lucy. Her friend who volunteers who's the flight attendant, Maria, flew Lucy here on her day off from work all the way from CA to NC. There was NO charge for our cat and the airline did NOT charge us. Truly she was a gift. She's a Ragdoll purebred and the best cat. Why would someone surrender to a kill shelter is beyond me...but I'm an animal lover. Now Ragdolls are known to break the mold and actually act dog-like....so they are a "little" more social. Our cat and dog get along fine b/c our cat has a few dog characteristics.

All of this to say, I searche on the internet high and low for a cat. Try Petfinder.com. Google search: "Lab shelter" or "Labs to adopt" and see what comes up.

In closing, enjoy your dog. But, please keep in mind that labs are affectionately called "lap" dogs b/c they LOVE to sit on your lap and cozy up with you with would be hard to do if they were outside all the time. ;)

Sheryl <><

Dog gets bored and ends up being a nuisance. Dog is returned. Because they see it happening, they don't realize that there are a lot of families who DO what they are saying they will and have animals that live long, happy lives. They never see those animals. I think they have trouble believing that they exist.

This is like public schools and homeschooling. When all they see are the ones for whom homeschooling didn't work out, they get a bad view of homeschooling.

I do agree that shelters/rescue societies have gone way overboard in their restrictions. We were turned down twice for a dog EVEN THOUGH it would be an inside dog because we don't have a fenced yard! We had a dog line out back that would be sufficient for a dog to be outside for exercise, but that wasn't good enough. I've had dogs my whole life, never had a fenced yard, and somehow my dogs were healthy and happy!

However, I would never take all my dc to a shelter and tell them we were getting a puppy that day. What if there hadn't been an appropriate dog?

I know my dogs would hate not being allowed in the house. They love to romp and play on our acreage, but they come in when they are done. One of the dogs is resting at my feet right now. Our next door neighbors have a dog that is not allowed in. It has it's own heated/air conditioned little cottage/studio, so it's not out in the elements at all. Their kids do play with it sometimes, but that poor thing whines and cries periodically througout the day and night from lack of companionship. It's so sad. I have no idea why they have an animal at all. I don't know how one could have an animal and then simply ignore it's pitiful cries.

I'm sorry this was so hard for you, but they really do have some good points. Right now they are euthanizing healthy kittens EVERY DAY because there are not enough homes for them. And yet you want to make more kittens. Can you see how that would be heartbreaking to the people that have to euthanize healthy cats every single day?If you want your kids to experience kittens how about neutering your cats and fostering or adopting one of the MANY pregnant cats that shelters have? Pregnant cats get turned in all the time, or are found, and no one wants to foster them or deal with them, so they also get euthanized. Also, if your male cat is outdoors, un nuetered, he isn't just going to impregnate your cat, he will more than likely be wandering and impregnanting every female for several miles. Are you going to track down those kittens and fix them and vaccinate them and love them too? Cause otherwise those kittens will end up at the shelter....which is why the shelter workers want your cats fixed. Also, if you haven't fixed your cat they don't have any reason to believe that you will do so with the dog, who is going to be outside and able to wander and impregnant all the female dogs within miles, again adding to the burden the shelters face. They are not saying you aren't good people. They are saying that they can't ethically adopt a puppy into a situation that could cause further pet overpopulation problems down the road. Puppies are very adoptable and they can find someone that will meet their requirements. As for the indoor outdoor issue, I think that they are fine with a dog roaming your fenced in area most of the day , playing with the kids. But they want this very social animal to have indoor time too, especially because lets me honest, most adults don't spend hours a day outdoors interacting with the dog, especially in inclement weather. The best way to make sure the dog gets adequate socialization is to make sure it has access to the indoors, where the people are. SOOOOO many dogs end up back at the shelter at about 1 year old because they have been left to run wild in the yard and not taught manners. Yes you can teach manners to an outside dog, but its harder because you aren't with the dog anywhere near as much. And if you ever do have to bring him in because of weahter or whatever, he won't be housebroken!

OK, I'm going to jump in again AFTER reading the responses. Regarding political choice, most of you know that I'm conservative and a Jesus follower. However, when it comes to animals I swing in the other direction. I do know God gave US the animals. As much as I can NOT stand it....deer are hunted. I actually saw this on TV yesterday. A hunter shot and down went the deer. I can NOT NOT NOT stand to see that. On the other hand, about EVERYONE tells me some animals are overpopulated and it's better for them. I'm not an expert there so I don't know...just repeating what I heard. I like animals so much it's hard to hometeach the predator cycle, but I know this is God's provision. The larger animals hunt/feed on smaller ones. I know all of this is not to much to the point, so anyway...............

Bottom line is, you are "adding" to your family. Different scenarios for different animals. Deer are not pets...they are wild and live outside.

Let the dog play outside, but let it "live" inside.

Our cat came to us spayed. That was fine as we can not care for more kitties. We would LIKE them, but we can NOT and know it. Also, if your cat did have kittens you really don't want them outside as owls, yes, owls can attack small puppies, kitties and other animals. You would not see them again. :confused:

Lastly, some breeds are more suited for outside work....like border collies. I think that's the one, right Hornblower or Library? They are a breed that is only content if they have a job. They are sheep herders. They round up sheep and quite successfully. I do believe they are "meant" to be outside 24/7, from what I heard.

Truly be at peace with your decision, but I did want to share these things with you for your consideration. Thanks. Sheryl (Jesus follower) <><

I

About the dog, I agree that a dog can be outside a ton of them time, at night.... consider putting them in the crate in one of your children's rooms. There's a ton of reasons this is important, including bonding, and keeping the pup safe. If you don't have fencing... that is an issue at well. Though it can't keep animals from getting YOUR animal, consider invisible fencing which is pretty inexpensive if you run the wire yourself.

:iagree:

Whatever you do, inside dog or outside, please know where your animal is at all times.

Five days ago my daughter's pet bunny was injured by a roaming dog (or dogs). I knew something was up when our dog was restlessly roaming the house instead of settling down to sleep. I heard a dog barking (Not mine--she never barks. Not even when she should. :glare:)

It grabbed at the rabbits toes through the bottom of it's hutch and if I wasn't a light sleeper, my daughter's pet rabbit would be dead right now. My little girl's only pet would die a horrible death because someone let their *&^% dog out and fell asleep.

As it was, bunny was pretty bloodied, and I was certain he was missing toes (It was just toenails that were ripped out.). I have seen rabbits (mine when I was a kid) killed by dogs this way. It would only have been a matter of time.

I brought the rabbit in and spent the rest of the night listening for them to return and harrass our chickens (They didn't). He is still in the house until I can make some changes to his cage. The kids are loving it, but he is not litter trained, and I don't want a house bunny (What next? Chickens indoors? :lol:).

People don't realize what their beloved pet is capable of.

Oh, and just because you see the dog on the porch when you go to bed at night, and it's there in the morning, does not mean it never left. They do their roaming/hunting at night. This happened at about 2:45 AM.

Edited by darlasowders

Unbelievable.

This type of behavior is why I would never donate to an SPCA. I also do not like money being taken from me in taxes being used against my will to support organizations like that.

Okay, I realize people have loving reasons for crating their animals but it just seems weird to me that letting a dog RUN outside on a large piece of property and live outside is now unethical but putting it in a cage all night long isn't?

Is this just a huge difference between country and city living because it does not make sense to me.

Okay, I realize people have loving reasons for crating their animals but it just seems weird to me that letting a dog RUN outside on a large piece of property is now unethical but putting it in a cage all night long isn't?

Is this just a huge difference between country and city living because it does not make sense to me.

Unless they're up to no good, dogs generally sleep at night. Crate, kennel, laundry room, inside, outside--it's all the same to me. I just prefer people know where there predatory animals are at night. I also realize it will never happen, so this week I'll be building a bunny fortress. :tongue_smilie:

We didn't walk him!!!! How silly. He ran and leaped and played, outdoors, all day long.

He didn't need "brought in to integrate with the family." The family was outdoors with him most of the time.

Shaking my head, here.

But is this (bolded part) the case with the OP's family?

In my experience, although kids initially want to play with the puppy every minute of the day, their excitement about a puppy does fade over time. And then they revert to their usual pattern of behavior.

If the OP's kids spend hours and hours outside every day, then I think an outdoor dog might indeed get enough attention. But if they are generally inside, I think having an outdoor dog will not turn them into outdoor kids long term.

Although I'm sorry this was a bad experience for the OP, I do understand why the Humane Society didn't agree to the adoption.

Of course, we looked at dogs at the Humane Society several times and ended up going with a family breeder because almost none of the dogs at our Humane Society were allowed to be adopted out to families with kids under 10. Although I realize now that family breeders are not ideal, our dog is truly the perfect dog for us.

Okay, I realize people have loving reasons for crating their animals but it just seems weird to me that letting a dog RUN outside on a large piece of property and live outside is now unethical but putting it in a cage all night long isn't?

I thought it was weird too but a dog lover friend of mine told me it was a good idea to crate train the dog and we did. She explained it is like a den for them. We usually now keep the crate open most times and our dog goes in there several times a day to nap:) It is her safe place:)

Unless they're up to no good, dogs generally sleep at night. Crate, kennel, laundry room, inside, outside--it's all the same to me. I just prefer people know where there predatory animals are at night. I also realize it will never happen, so this week I'll be building a bunny fortress. :tongue_smilie:

And I do think that if a dog causes damage to another person's property, the owner should compensate.

I just grew up in the country. Our dog slept on the porch. He was a golden retriever and mostly lived outdoors, but then again so did we, kids. We played with that dog all day long.

We had cats out in the barn. They never came inside. They were fixed, but my Mom always made sure we had more cats than mice out there.

Just a different world, I guess.

And yes, we live in the city now. We have two INDOOR cats who are fixed and were adopted from the local shelter. But if I had a farm, I might would have kicked them out to the barn.

My two cents:

In the country, yes, kittens and cats are dumped constantly. We once had mice problems at the house because of all the barn cats we had. We took in two free kittens from another farm, one died and the other went farrow while we were away for a weekend (she was born that way to begin with and we were trying to tame her). Someone had dumped a Russian Blue (indoor/outdoor cat) at cousin's and we took him into the house. He not only cleared up the mice, but also ran off MOST, not all, of the barn cats (sad thing with the barn cats, many of the kittens would be found in the barn, dead at various stages, because of lack of food or abandonment...generally cats do well on their own, but not with that much competition). However, *I* will not go around and spade/neuter all the cats that are dumped. They may hang around, become part of our family in a sense, but I am not their owner and will not pay out money for something I'm not responsible for. All that said, I can understand some people's views, but I also believe that they are your cats, in the country, and you can do as you darn well please. (We've moved to the city, so not an issue anymore)

On the dog issue. Yes, there are certain breeds that should be indoors, but having lived in farm country, where many people believe in dogs being outdoors and living in the barn, labs are capable of being "outdoors". Just have a shelter for them and they WILL make sure you give them plenty of attention (sorry, but labs are the one breed I steer clear of as they are nuisances...they love kittens as squeak toys and snacks; your kittens would not have lasted if you kept them outside as well...and they tear things up regularly, especially pups). We owned one lab (but have experience with other people's as well) and he was only spared an execution because a neighbouring farm had lost their hog dog. He was of an age that the farmer felt he could be trained for herding (yes, you can herd free range hogs).