Menu

Washroom bathmat location...

Where in the bathroom do you keep your bathmat?  

1. 1. Where in the bathroom do you keep your bathmat?

• At the shower/bath point of exit. D'uh. Where else would it go?
    • At the sink because one should brush in comfort!
    • Both! Livin' in the lap of luxery my friend!

OK so there's a little war going on in my home. I get out of the bathtub/shower and slip on the floor. Why? Because my wunnerful hubby moved the bathmat. Again. :glare: He moved it to the sink because he thinks it belongs there, "so it's comfortable to stand brushing your teeth." I moved it back to the bath because that's where I think it belongs. It has rubber grips on the bottom, it's absorbant, it makes sense to keep it at the bath exit, after all, it's called a BATHmat. Next day, it's moved to the sink again. After 12 years of marriage you'd think I'd have just bought another mat! :lol: So, if you have a bathmat, where in the bathroom do you keep it?

Edited by specialmama

I firmly believe bathroom rugs should come in pairs.

I'll do you one better and tell you that I have one in front of the shower which doubles at one in front of the tub, one in front of the sink and one in front of the toilet. Dh hates cold to walk on a cold floor.

Ours is a towel type mat and at the tub. However, I wouldn't argue about this. Mats are cheap--buy another so he can brush in comfort. Alternative: move it each time (both of you) or you dry off in the shower and put your towel on the floor to step out. Hubby and I did that (use towel to step on) prior to kids. I don't like to re-use a towel I put on the bathroom floor now though I never gave it a thought back then.

Edited by sbgrace

OK so there's a little war going on in my home. I get out of the bathtub/shower and slip on the floor. Why? Because my wunnerful hubby moved the bathmat. Again. :glare: He moved it to the sink because he thinks it belongs there, "so it's comfortable to stand brushing your teeth." I moved it back to the bath because that's where I think it belongs. It has rubber grips on the bottom, it's absorbant, it makes sense to keep it at the bath exit, after all, it's called a BATHmat. Next day, it's moved to the sink again. After 12 years of marriage you'd think I'd have just bought another mat! :lol: So, if you have a bathmat, where in the bathroom do you keep it?

Why not just get two bathmats?

Uhh... in front of the bathtub. It is a BATHmat.

We call that thing in front of the sink that keeps our toes warm a "rug".

At my house we dry off IN the shower, but if anyone wants something down on the floor so they don't slide, we call that a towel.;)

OK, I have a bath mat in front of the shower and I have a bath rug in front of the sinks. Two different things. The absorbent one goes in front of the shower to absorb the water as you dry off. The rug goes in front of the sinks so you're not on bare floor while brushing teeth.

No bath mat here. They tend to collect hair too fast on my bathroom floor. Am I the only one? Is that why my mom looked at me like I was crazy for not having one by the tub. I told her to use a towel, and she looked at me like I had two heads.

We don't have one either - I can't stand carpet of any sort in the bathroom. (Especially the toilet rugs!)

We just toss a towel down. :)

This is absolutely hysterical to me. I KNOW it goes in front of the bath (that's why it's called a bath mat, d'uh!) but my dh moves it to in front of the toilet??! What's up with that? I don't even want to think about why he thinks one should be there.:eek: But we keep moving it back and forth. Yes, I also have slipped getting out of the shower because the mat is in the *wrong* place.

So tell your dh, now that you know the correct answer for sure, that it belongs in front of the BATH. After he has really absorbed this information and learned to leave it in the correct place, perhaps he can give my dh a little tutorial.

Just my 2 cents.:D

I like Charles' suggestions. :)

We have a tile floor so the bathmat is a safety measure. I've stepped out of the shower or bathtub before without it and nearly taken a tumble.

But if your DH insists on it by the sink just use a towel. I used to hang up the towel I'd just used after a shower/bath over the rod/shower wall. Then next time I'd throw it on the floor before I got in the shower/tub. Thsi worked especially well when we had just one small bathroom and I was unwilling to leave a bathmat down for fear my tinkling toddler would contaminate it. :)

I need a 'neither' option on the poll! We're all really allergic to mold so I refuse to keep carpets or mats in my bathroom. I keep a folded towel in front of the tub and wash it every time I do a load of towels.

My husband doesn't like to stand on cold or hard floors, but I buy him very nice slippers for this reason. ;)

Target has these cheap bath mats, a little over the size of a hand towel. They come in all colors, are not too heavy (so they dry quickly). I have ended up using them not just outside of the shower, but also as mat for drying dishes. They were either 2.99 or 3.99 which isn't a bad investment for your safety. I purchased them gradually and now I always have some clean and some dirty:lol:

PS: If I only had one it would be at the shower/tub.

Edited by wbtx
forgot something

Do you really need a vote proving who's right about such a silly thing.

I'll pretend that is a question and answer NO, of course not. Sometimes I get all crazy and want to do something (like start a silly poll) for FUN. If I were really trying to prove something, I'd have done it years ago.

Go buy that man another mat!

:lol: I wish I could, but the one I have is so lovely but unfortunately, discontinued... I simply can't have mismatched mats!! :svengo:I mean, what will the bathroom police think? :lol:

We are thinking luxury by moving it from one place to the other... Not splurging just yet on a second one :)

Funny how one woman's luxery is another's war :lol: It's all in how ya look at it! I usually consider myself an optimist, but here you got me beat!

Why not just get two bathmats?

Gosh... I don't know... I kinda like the battle! I can picture us having this little battle till the day we die. Then, one sad day, the widow(er?) will stand there and shake their head at the silly lone bathmat, and wonder why it is still where they put it yesterday. A legacy! That's it! I'm doing it all in the name of leaving a legacy!

We don't have one either - I can't stand carpet of any sort in the bathroom. (Especially the toilet rugs!)

Ewww I know exactly what you mean! We are landlords, and one of our suites has industrial carpet GLUED on every square inch of the bathroom floor. Single men usually rent that one because it's so small, but I cringe every time I clean that bathroom before the next tenant comes. Makes me want to HURL! I don't know what possessed the previous owner to glue it down, but blech! Some men are just not that good at target practice, ya know?

I need a 'neither' option on the poll!

I knew someone would say that! :lol:

Edited by specialmama

those bathroom wars are DANGEROUS! Does he put the cap back on the toothpaste? Lower the seat? Fill the empty toiletpaper roll? I mean, there are ENDLESS reasons to declare war over bathroom issues.

:D

I personally do NOT like mats or carpets of ANY kind in the bathroom. I do have a bath mat, though. I have a very small, maybe 12 x 24, mat which is such a COOL color that I leave it right by the shower all the time. If it weren't a cool color, I'd put it inside the shower.

I answered "both," but in reality the bathrooms are so small that one mat is between the sink and the tub, taking care of things nicely.

I think it belongs in front of the tub to catch drips and prevent slips.

I didn't click on any poll responses, because I wasn't sure what you meant by bathmat. I have a bathmat in front of the shower and a rug in front of the sink, so I guess it would be both.

:iagree:

There is a spongy mat in front of the tub, and a rug with rubber backing in front of the sink. However, this is the situation in only ONE of our bathrooms. In another bathroom, we have no rugs or mats, just a thick terrycloth mat (bathmat? like a really thick, smallish towel, bought in the towel dept. and matches the towels) that we hang over the shower door and only put on the floor while we're in the shower, and then we step out of the shower and onto this bathmat/towel. The third bathroom is a half-bath, and since there's no tub, there's no bathmat, just a rug in front of the sink.

It goes by the tub--but please go buy another mat before you bust your bum because even though we do, he clearly doesn't agree with you. :D

No bath mat here. They tend to collect hair too fast on my bathroom floor. Am I the only one? Is that why my mom looked at me like I was crazy for not having one by the tub. I told her to use a towel, and she looked at me like I had two heads.

Makes perfect sense to me. The last bathmats I bought were acrylic (What was I thinking?) and I have to put a towel on top anyway.

I need a 'neither' option on the poll! We're all really allergic to mold so I refuse to keep carpets or mats in my bathroom. I keep a folded towel in front of the tub and wash it every time I do a load of towels.

My husband doesn't like to stand on cold or hard floors, but I buy him very nice slippers for this reason. ;)

Don't they go in the washing machine? Maybe that's what I destroy so many...

We normally have two. We have a claw foot tub which means there's no place to put shampoo bottles, soap, etc. So, I installed a glass shelf on the wall nearest the back of the tub. But them water dripped all over the floor whenever someone reached out to get something off the shelf, so a smaller bathmat goes there to catch those drips. A second large math goes in the space between the shower, toilet, and sink. The configuration of the fixtures and size of the mat covers the area pretty well.

If I were you, I'd just get another mat...or toss a towel on the floor to step on.

I have a bath mat that hangs over the shower door and a bath mat that hangs over the side of the tub, BECAUSE...it's for CLEAN feet!!! They go on the floor right before we get in. After we get out and dry off, they hang back up. This also helps them to dry out fast. :)

I have an old towel, chopped up to the size of a hand towel, that gets put on the floor just before hopping in the shower. After the shower, it gets hung over the shower rail, in the other bathroom, it gets hung over the side of the bath. It gets washed every few days. so I didn't click on any of your options, because I don't keep it on the floor at all.

We normally have two. We have a claw foot tub which means there's no place to put shampoo bottles, soap, etc.

Can I just say that I'm jealous of you right now? Such a silly thing, but I've wanted a claw foot tub forever!! :D

We have one that goes against the side of the tub where we step out, in front of the sink, and one that is in front of the toilet. It has two "arms" that "hug" the toilet but don't wrap all the way around.

I also have one that hugs my toilet, plus a big one that covers the floor in front of the sink and tub.

I clicked both- but it's not because we're living high and large here. ;) You can sit on the toilet with your feet in the bathtub AND reach the sink comfortably in my tiny bathroom. :D

:lol::lol::lol: The bathroom in our last place was like that. I understand!

I voted both, but I don't actually have any. :D We have a bath mat, like a glorified shower, that stays on the shower, but no rugs. We used to have a cat that would attack bathroom rugs when left alone, so we got rid of them after he shredded a couple of sets, bless him.

I would have a bath mat (towel type) for the shower, and rugs for by the sink, in my ideal world. I don't know when that will happen, exactly, but that's the goal.

We have a rubber-backed rug that I wash often. Our bathroom is small so it warms feet at the sink and in front of the toilet. When we take a bath or shower, we toss a towel-like bathmat on the floor. As soon as we are dried off, the mat gets laid over the side of the tub to dry off. It hides behind the shower curtain so it doesn't matter what color it is - it doesn't affect the look of the bathroom.