Menu

How much would you pay a 14 yo boy to babysit

9 days, 6 hours per day, babysitting 2 boys ages 10 and 12? (12 yo is developmentally delayed). I've got an idea in my mind, but curious as to what you would pay. (ds has been hired for this job, and money hasn't been mentioned, yet - they are generous people and we're not worried that he won't be paid).

My 13yo makes $4 an hour to babysit one child while her mom works, but this girl is 8 and is *easy*. My 16yo makes closer to $7-$10 depending on the number of kids. But she provides the meals and does bath and bedtime when necessary. Without looking at the rest of the posts, I would say $40 a day is about right. $30 is possible too, but almost too low. Depends on your location though. Rural usually is cheaper.

Barb

The Federal Minimum Wage for adults is $7.25 per hour. I can not conceive paying a 14 year old anything approximating that.

I understand that in some areas this is the norm but it is also quite simply nuts.

I was thinking like $200 altogether. In my old area, I generally would have gotten $130 or so for it plus charged a little extra as it's a temporary job. A 14yo would make a little less as he couldn't offer the same opportunities or experience I can.

It's sad, but childcare pays almost nothing in a lot of areas. I think $6-15/hour would be great, but unrealistic in most places I've lived.

It would depend on the disability of the 12 yo and how much extra care that required, but generally here it is $6-8 an hour based on the ages of the kids and how experienced the babysitter is. I wouldn't expect him to be able to cook though.

I agree. Pay at least minimum wage. You are not just asking him to work, you are asking him to be responsible for two boys, one with a disability.

I don't know it that factors in??? He'd be happy with $3 per hour - anything more will be amazing to him (me, too).

It would for me.

I would expect minimum wage- I think it's only right to pay someone a fair wage. If he was working at a restaurant for that time he'd get minimum- and that's less responsibility!

It would for me.

I would expect minimum wage- I think it's only right to pay someone a fair wage. If he was working at a restaurant for that time he'd get minimum- and that's less responsibility!

I think it is only fair to pay an ADULT min wage, not a 14 year old.

Once a minor has worked at a place for more then 90 days they, too, are required to be paid minimum wage. Legally, babysitting is exempt- but I'm just voicing my opinion. I think babysitting two kids- one handicapped- is a big responsibility. I think big responsibilities should equal decent pay.

Once a minor has worked at a place for more then 90 days they, too, are required to be paid minimum wage. Legally, babysitting is exempt- but I'm just voicing my opinion. I think babysitting two kids- one handicapped- is a big responsibility. I think big responsibilities should equal decent pay.

Understandable.

I guess these things vary so much by community. . . As a teen in the DC burbs, I got abt $7-10/hr for sitting 2-4 kids back in the 1980s. . . Never less than minimum wage ($5/hr), for sure, and the kids were sleeping half the time and my bf was allowed to come hang out with me, and my cooking/cleaning duties were limited. . .

Sooooo, I guess I see minimum wage as the minimum for mom-gone babysitting for anyone who I feel is competent enough to sit for my kids. Now, if it is a "mother's helper" deal with a younger teen and mom is home, then I can see under that. . . Or, if it is an insanely easy sitting job (say one kid, late evening, kid sleeping most of the time while the teen is watching movies on HBO. . .), then maybe a bit lower hourly rate. But, to me, daytime sitting is the hardest b/c the kids are active and the sitter is WORKING most/all the time. . .

FWIW, I pay $10-11/hr for adult babysitters and that is very good for my area, so I guess I don't see a very big diff between paying a teen and an adult. . . Are they really *doing* something diff?

:lol:

I used to get $2 in 1984! And that was considered by the families I sat for to be a bargain.

That is what I got too! I babysat a girl with cerebal palsy and she was quite unruly most of the time. I made meals and even cleaned the kitchen afterwards. One time I babysat overnight. Wow, have things changed! :)

:iagree:. I don't understand why age would affect pay. I'm all for EQUAL pay for EQUAL work. Can you imagine if we said, "let's pay older people less because their kids are grown and they don't need the money as much as those raising families.":lol:

How is it fair to pay a person LESS simply due to their age? Isn't the job the SAME whether you have a 14 or 24 year old doing it? A job is a job. Paying a teen less simply because of their age is like, well, paying a female less than a male due to gender. Equal pay for equal work.

How is it fair to pay a person LESS simply due to their age? Isn't the job the SAME whether you have a 14 or 24 year old doing it? A job is a job. Paying a teen less simply because of their age is like, well, paying a female less than a male due to gender. Equal pay for equal work.

No it is not.

One is an adult, be he male or be she female, the other is a child. Children are treated differently under the law and under pay scales attached to said law.

Edited by pqr

I pay babysitters $10 an hour for my two dds, 10 and 8. Sometimes I would do a long term (summer and trips) job and would get less than $10/hour but it was still good money. I did a summer job for $100 week (a while ago). I would think $200+ would be really nice for a 12 year old.

The Federal Minimum Wage for adults is $7.25 per hour. I can not conceive paying a 14 year old anything approximating that.

I understand that in some areas this is the norm but it is also quite simply nuts.

I have been unable to find teens near me willing to work for 10$/hr, even when offered gas money plus food. Adults want something more regular. We never go anywhere without kiddo, as a result. Never have. Now he's so mobile and helpful, it isn't a burden anymore.

Usually, a parent says "My kid would LOVE that much" but kid really doesn't want to work at all, and comes up with excuses, never calls, agrees but doesn't show, etc.:glare:

FWIW, I pay $10-11/hr for adult babysitters and that is very good for my area,

Babysitting wages always vary by area :) ~ I used to babysit a lot in our old town (we moved almost 2 years ago) and most of the people that I babysat for were barely making that (or less) at their full time adult jobs, so they certainly couldn't pay the same for a sitter.

W

No it is not.

One is an adult, be he male or be she female, the other is a child. Children are treated differently under the law and under pay scales attached to said law.

No they aren't. A 14yo working at dairy queen makes minimum wage the same as a 24yo doing the same job. Which country are you referring to?

Barb

W

No they aren't. A 14yo working at dairy queen makes minimum wage the same as a 24yo doing the same job. Which country are you referring to?

Barb

I have never known an employer to pay less than minimum wage to a teen even though they can for the training period. As a teen, I would not have *worked* for less than minimum wage unless there were no other jobs available. My 17yo makes $10 when working manual labor because that's what they get paid where he is. He does the work of a man, he gets paid as a man.

If I hire a babysitter (which I have twice in the past year), I pay her approximately $8 an hour. I want her to come back and she is someone I can really, really trust. I only pay a babysitter, though, when I can't get family to help out.

Dang. Maybe I'm undercharging. I babysit about 18-20 hrs a week for a family with a 5 yr old and an almost 2 yr old. I have a LOT of experience in early education. I'm starting to potty train their 2 year old. I bring in art supplies and do projects. I'm working on beginning reading skills with their 5 yr old.

I charge $10 an hour. And I think their mom, who is constantly spending hundreds of dollars on shoes and thousands on new furniture and redoing their kitchen/ basement/ etc (that are in great condition to start with), resents it........

How is it fair to pay a person LESS simply due to their age?

You're not paying them less because they're younger. You're paying someone older a bit more because (presumably) they have more experience. It's the same reason I pay a landscaper more than I'd pay the kid down the block who mows lawns during the summer.

About 12 years ago, I was a nanny to a couple with one child during the summer when she was not in school. The wife was a pharmeuctical rep and husband had a huge plumbing business. I was sixteen years old and the only gave me $50 a week for 8 to 10 hours days. I feel like I got ripped off.

Edited by susancollins

You're not paying them less because they're younger. You're paying someone older a bit more because (presumably) they have more experience. It's the same reason I pay a landscaper more than I'd pay the kid down the block who mows lawns during the summer.

In which case, you will get what you pay for.

I absolutley and 100% agree. Although I know that is not how the real world operates. I was shelving books after school for minimum wage not too long ago. My oldest babysat for about an hour until dh got home. A couple of times the issue of hiring an outside sitter got brought up when my oldest was out-of-pocket. But I knew the sitter would expect more per hour sitting my 6 kids than I made at the library. :glare: Ridiculous!

Our teen babysitter charges $5/hr for the first child and $1/hr for each additional child. So we pay her $7 per hour for our three girls. I think that is a great price, and she is absolutely fantastic!

So for what you are asking, I think $36 per day, and $324 total, is fair.