Menu

Do your kids play sports?

How important to you feel it is to have children involved in sports? Mine aren't, except for one season of baseball for oldest dd. I've been thinking of this recently, and wonder if I should make this more of a priority. They haven't asked, but is it important to try them in different sports? What do you consider the value of team sports to be?

Of course, all the kiddos had well visits this week and were all asked if they were involved in sports. I left kinda feeling like the strange homeschool mom who doesn't really involve the kids in much outside the house. Of course, we are all happy as larks and they all have their own interests, but none have really asked about sports and I really haven't thought much about it. Oldest dd volunteers at a nursing home twice a week, dd 5 takes horse back riding, dd9 loves everything science and animas and usually has her face in a book or outside in the dirt. But we don't have much organized activity outside of the home.

Thoughts?

Dd does karate. It is mostly an individual sport but there are times she has to work with another person.

Being an only child that is homeschooled I think her dance and karate help her in many ways, one being working with others since she doens't do that much.

Depends on the child. My oldest wasn't interested at all. My second was. He was involved in baseball, basketball, and lacrosse very early on. My third has been too. All three are involved in karate (the two oldest are black belts).

But, my oldest decided to try baseball for the first time when he was 10 (VERY nearly 11). I was SO scared!! He's got Aspergers and I was worried about bullying. But, he was AWESOME!!!! Seriously, he was AMAZING!! It was awesome to watch. Around here, kids start baseball at age 6, so these kids KNOW baseball!! But, d.s. was awesome and played for three years. He quit this year because he was noticing that his arm was hurting when he pitched (he was a great pitcher).

If you want your kids to be more involved in sports, what about karate or golf? Individual sports? If your younger ones want to try a team sport - go ahead and try!!! You might be surprised at how well it works out!!

Think' about this too, mine are only 6 and 4 but we've been in a 8 week soccer program for 4 and 5 yr olds. The 6 yr old program was just too competitive and my DD6 didn't want to play, plus because of being in the hospital we missed so many practices and the basics that she was so far behind the others, I didn't mind taking her out if she wasn't into it. However, I just get this feeling like she's gotta BE IN SOMETHING! Why?? I don't know? Because everyone's in SOMETHING! That's a dumb reason huh?? Well, we do quite a bit of family things, canoeing, camping, hunting, boating, traveling, snoeshoeing, crafting...you'd think I'd be satisfied with that....but since its not an organized sport I feel like we are weird. Was going to have DD in dance classes like she was interested in but the YMCA decided to only hold classes that we wouldn't paticipate in---like Hip Hop! or "dance like a pop star" class. For heavens sake---she's 6!!:glare:

How important to you feel it is to have children involved in sports? Mine aren't, except for one season of baseball for oldest dd. I've been thinking of this recently, and wonder if I should make this more of a priority. They haven't asked, but is it important to try them in different sports? What do you consider the value of team sports to be? But we don't have much organized activity outside of the home. Thoughts?

I think children should be involved in organized sports to the extent of their interests. These activities consume "their" free time. As such, it should be their choice. My children are involved in activities they personally chose. My son fences with a club, and my daughters dance at a ballet school.

I don't personally place much value on team sports. While developing physical and mental discipline is vitally important IMO, it can be accomplished through individual or group-based athletic activities. If the group context is important to you or to your children, I would pursue more opportunities along those lines. Otherwise, I don't think it matters.

My 11 yo daughter does fencing, and now my 8yo is interested. It's expensive and time consuming, but she gets so much out of it. I can't be in the sun, so fencing works well for me in that way. We've also done a lot of (casual) ice skating, and now we found a $5 home school roller skating day.

I can't stand sports, and my daughters never showed any interest in them. But I have to say, I think we've seriously improved the quality of home schooling by going. Ice skating and roller skating are for home schoolers, but you go when you want to. There's no pressure, and that's what I was worried about. Also, it feels good to leave a class where they've had a good work out.

The boys are active in tae kwon do and archery. They're taking a break from soccer. They aren't big on running around at home so this is a way for them to be physically active. Plus, for 4-5 months out of the year it's too hot to play outside so bikes and the trampoline are out of the picture unless it's before 9 or so, hence indoor sports.

My dh grew up playing 5-6 sports a year. Really. I don't know how his mom kept up with them all. Especially seeing as he is one of seven and all of them were involved in different sports. So, it is important to him that our boys are active in sports.

We do not belong to any homeschool groups. We use team sports to learn team work, like they would learn in a co-op or homeschool group or classroom. We use individual sports to build confidence and self reliance. The kids have fun with both types but lean toward individual.

HTH

Both girls do gymnastics and just finished up a round of soccer. Becca also did 2 years of baseball. I think it's important for them because they are soooo active and generally full of energy. They need a constructive outlet or they'll just spontaneously combust. Or I will. :001_huh: That may not be the case for every kid though.

Although my husband and I come from athletically inclined families, neither of us gives a hoot about sports. It was a surprise to me when our boys expressed interest in playing team sports. They've done soccer, flag football, kickball, baseball and basketball. It looks like both are most interested in and have the highest aptitude for baseball. So...we'll seek out opportunities for them to play as long as they're enjoying it.

As for it being "required," I'd say physical activity is important, but team sports is not so much. Getting the kids out on bikes, running, swimming, skating, etc. is good for their health. Martial Arts are great for self discipline and exercise.

I think it is important for kids to try many different things, but if sports is not something they like then there is no reason to push them IMO. I did not grow up in sports other than a season of softball. My kids have each taken soccer for a year or two, but sports is not for them so we moved on.

I don't find it important. My kids played soccer one season. They had fun. We might do it again in the future if we have the time and money.

What I think is important is that children are active with their bodies and experience group situations.

I don't think that HAS to be a sports team.

And I do think there is some benefit in being familiar with various sports, if for no other reason than an understanding of our culture. Again, that doesn't have to be done in a sports team setting. We just play as a family and teach the game.

My kids do non-competitive gymnastics and swimming year-round, and there's an annual 10-week sportsmanship oriented basketball league at our community center. Skating is a new thing... my idea it to just to get them good enough to do spur-of-the-moment free skates at a nearby mall (and roller skating at Oaks Park), but if they want more, that's OK. I'd like them to be skilled in things that they might do for fun as they get older, and the gymnastics is mostly for balance and to help with co-ordination. They both want to try fencing, archery, and sailing, and will probably try these in the future as well.

Edited by nmoira

I think it's of low importance.

What I would like is for them to learn that it's fun and healthy to get our bodies moving, but it's not necessary to be competitive and you don't have to beat other people to be a winner yourself. I'm not rabidly anti competitive sports, and I would not prevent my children from taking part, but it's not something that I see as essential or even that important. A healthy, well-rounded person needs to be physically active, but it doesn't really matter whether that is through organized sports, or through other activites like hiking, gardening, dancing or whatever the person most enjoys.

Dh is keen to teach the kids the basics of the major sports (aussie rules football, football, tennis, etc). He feels that it's a huge disadvantage for a kid to be totally ignorant about the rules, so he wants them to know enough that they can take up the sport socially later on without feeling stupid, if they want to.

Edited by Hotdrink

Our oldest started with baseball at 4, moved on to soccer for a few years, did a year of competitive cheerleading, played more baseball and then he found swim team. He loves swimming! Swimming will be done after July and start again in Jan. He will try some martial arts and keep up his swimming.

Our daughter did 2 years of competitive cheer, horseback riding and is now on the swim team with her brother. She will try rec cheer after swim, pick back up horseback riding before swim starts again in Jan.

Our youngest son has just completed a year if gymnastics. He will start martial arts when big brother does and will be on the swim team in Jan.

We don't make our kids participate. They are encouraged to be active and find something they love to participate in. I find sports/activities good for the whole family in many different ways.

Yes. My son plays team-sports. Thus far just Association Football (soccer) and Baseball (technically T-ball).

It won't be a popular opinion to express on this forum (when will I learn? :banghead:) but I believe there is something character building to the blend of competition and cooperation that comes with learning to be a member of a team.

Both boys and girls benefit from learning the life-skills that come with dealing with others on the playing grounds that are hard to reproduce else-wise. The ability to be part of a team, both as a leader, and as a team-mate and having a natural way of dealing in groups is second nature with children who have a good exposure to being part of a team (granting that bad coaches, and bad situations exist).

I think most men I know know it when they are dealing with another man (or woman) who knows "how to play ball" and when they are dealing with an individual who does not.

Man am I in trouble :tongue_smilie:

PQR I need you! :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

It won't be a popular opinion to express on this forum (when will I learn? :banghead:) but I believe there is something character building to the blend of competition and cooperation that comes with learning to be a member of a team.

I agree with Bill. I have 3 athletic kids, and they get a lot out of their respective sports. My swimmer has developed an impressive work ethic that has paid real dividends in the school room. It also has been wonderful to see her excel and become a leader on her year-round team, where the fast kids are the popular kids, and they all know that you get fast by working your butt off. With girls, especially, it is important to be admired for what you do, not what you look like. This summer, in addition to her year-round team, she is also swimming with our neighborhood team, for her 6th year (she's 10), and the little® kids look up to her, and their parents hold her out as an example of what hard work will do. It has been a joy to see her find the intersection of her talent and her passion.

My 12 yo gymnast has learned that no one gets it right the first time or the hundredth time, and she also has learned to appreciate her body for what it can do, not what it looks like. She also has had the (unfortunate) experience of setting a wonderful example of how to respond to hardship when she's been injured.

I could go on and on, but I think it is helpful for girls to have an identity apart from the usual adolescent nonsense about who's pretty and who's popular and who has a boyfriend. That doesn't have to be from sports, of course, but that is how it has worked out in our house.

Terri

You don't have to do sport to learn co-operation and team work tough. You can learn these things just as well by being in a landcare team or a spelling bee team or a jazz band. Plus there are some situations where kids' sports become unhealthily competitive.

If I could make an unfounded wild conjecture [ducks] I would guess that the people who extol the virtues of team sports would be the same people who can do team sports. If you have never been the child who is slow, fat, weak, uncoordinated and/or doesn't understand the rules of the game, and gets picked last for teams every time, then you simply don't understand how traumatic (and I don't use that term lightly) sports can be for some children.

Why should sports hold a position of privilege over other activities? Many (most?) parents and teachers would not compel children to do chess, knitting, sponge cake baking or music at a competitive level if the child had no talent and no inclination for these activities, yet a lot of children are turned off sport for life by being made to do it in school. I believe that sports, like singing, should be viewed as a worthwhile activity that everyone can enjoy, not something that you escape as soon as possible if you can't keep up with the elite.

Edited by Hotdrink

My children are not interested in the traditional sports. We hike as family and both the older children have expressed an interest in rock climbing and rappelling. They are both interested in archery, so we've been trying to attend the free classes and group get-togethers with the local archery club.

Dad would like to see all the kids take akido eventually. It just doesn't fit our current schedule.

You don't have to do sport to learn co-operation and team work tough. You can learn these things just as well by being in a landcare team or a spelling bee team or a jazz band. Plus there are some situations where kids' sports become unhealthily competitive.

If I could make an unfounded wild conjecture [ducks] I would guess that the people who extol the virtues of team sports would be the same people who can do team sports. If you have never been the child who is slow, fat, weak, uncoordinated and/or doesn't understand the rules of the game, and gets picked last for teams every time, then you simply don't understand how traumatic (and I don't use that term lightly) sports can be for some children.

Why should sports hold a position of privilege over other activities? Many (most?) parents and teachers would not compel children to do chess, knitting, sponge cake baking or music at a competitive level if the child had no talent and no inclination for these activities, yet a lot of children are turned off sport for life by being made to do it in school.

Which is why we don't do little league (which around here has a terrible reputation for bad coaches and hard feelings)- just soccer and it is a rec. league so no try outs. My son could play on a competitive team and do fine but we play sports for the fun and exercise and team work and friendship of it. I want him to be able to be a team player and for us learning that means sports. I totally agree there are other ways to learn those principles.

I do make them because I think they need the exercise and they like the friends and socializing and the sense of accomplishment. Both my boys play(ed) soccer and one daughter dances (ballet and ballroom) and the other runs (24 hour 178 mile team run 2 weeks ago). I want them to have something physical to do that they can look back on and be proud of and do as they get older, more of a hobby I guess.

I feel your pain about being picked last and not being good at sports - that was totally me. My one and only moment of glory was catching a high fly ball in kickball, kicked by the cool, popular boy in 4th grade. I was in the outfield, as usual. :001_smile:

I think it's important. I homeschool to keep their minds working...I require them to participate in some sort of physical activity to keep their bodies working as well. And it gives them a chance to explore new things. You can't decide if you like something if you've never tried it. :) I limit them to two activities at a time (unless it's a week-long camp or something) because my DD would be in 4-5 things if she could and I don't know that that's healthy either. ;)

DD did dance and swimming this year. In the summer, she usually does a soccer camp as well. She used to take gymnastics. She plans to continue dance next year and wants to join a swim team next summer.

DS takes swimming and can't WAIT till he turns 4 so he can do soccer, t-ball, basketball, etc. at our local YMCA.

I don't think organized sports are as important as getting physical exercise. You know the exercise where your heart rate is elevated and your working up a good sweat.

My kids are pretty involved in sports I guess for their ages (4 and 7). They ask for it and want to play it isn't anything we push on them we actually have to limit it to 2 sports so they don't go overboard with activities.

DD 4 does gymnastics and swimming one time a week each.

DS 7 does gymnastics and baseball/soccer (depending on the season), with swimming in the summer.

No doubt true. However, it is much more likely that a child who doesn't play sports from early childhood will be (to use your terms) "slow, fat, weak, uncoordinated and/or doesn't understand the rules of the game."

Athleticism is to some degree a product of natural gifts, but it can not be underestimated how transformational hard-work and athletic training can be. I believe it as important to discipline ones body as it is ones mind (well, maybe I'd put the mind first :D). Physical fitness and athleticism has always been part of the "classical ideal" as I see it.

Why should sports hold a position of privilege over other activities? Many (most?) parents and teachers would not compel children to do chess, knitting, sponge cake baking or music at a competitive level if the child had no talent and no inclination for these activities, yet a lot of children are turned off sport for life by being made to do it in school. I believe that sports, like singing, should be viewed as a worthwhile activity that everyone can enjoy, not something that you escape as soon as possible if you can't keep up with the elite.

Talent rarely comes sorely as a gift from above. Usually the talented are good because of hard-work and dedication. It is true with music lessons, chess, or ballet.

I'm sure many parents on this forum have children doing piano lessons as a "non-optional" activity. And probably few of those children will be concert pianists. Does that mean music won't enrich their lives?

I'm not one for "forcing" children. But kids are pretty early on figure out what their parents priorities are, and if a parent gies off the vibe that sports are not valued (or are viewed with some hostility, or resentment ) then the children may not treat sports participation with enthusiasm. Where in a "sporty family", they might. KWIM?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

My husband is one of those guys who was forced to be on team sports because his dad was the public school coach. He hated sports. Outside of a fun pick-up game at a picnic, he still can't stand sports.

He's very manly (builds with wood, rides motorcycles, etc.) but he is NEVER going to just hang out and watch a football game with the guys.

That said, he is totally a team player. I'm not convinced he learned that standing on a field playing with the B team or if he learned it by building houses in Mexico, teaching youth camps, working with annoying co-workers, etc.

I don't think organized sports offers any particular set of skills that can only be found in that environment.

And when it comes to teaching my children to be active, I actually prefer they choose something OTHER than group sports. As an adult it is much more difficult to be active that way. I'd prefer they develop the habit of roller-blading, biking, running, hiking, gardening and other activities that are easier to maintain as an adult.

My husband is one of those guys who was forced to be on team sports because his dad was the public school coach. He hated sports. Outside of a fun pick-up game at a picnic, he still can't stand sports.

He's very manly (builds with wood, rides motorcycles, etc.) but he is NEVER going to just hang out and watch a football game with the guys.

That said, he is totally a team player. I'm not convinced he learned that standing on a field playing with the B team or if he learned it by building houses in Mexico, teaching youth camps, working with annoying co-workers, etc.

I don't think organized sports offers any particular set of skills that can only be found in that environment.

And when it comes to teaching my children to be active, I actually prefer they choose something OTHER than group sports. As an adult it is much more difficult to be active that way. I'd prefer they develop the habit of roller-blading, biking, running, hiking, gardening and other activities that are easier to maintain as an adult.

Watching sports, of course, has nothing to do with playing sports or having been partially shaped by playing sports in ones youth.

I obviously don't know your husband, but I'd suspect some of the skills forced on him my his old man (on the playing field) do inform activities like building house in Mexico or getting along with co-workers. I could be wrong.

Bill

I have five kids and they keep us really busy especially since we live hours from all family members but we make it work somehow. DD, 14, has always played soccer year round. She is on the highschool team now. DS, age 10, started out playing soccer and baseball but then decided to play basketball and football. Due to overlapping schedules of the sports, he plays soccer, baseball, football, and then back to soccer again. DD, age 9, has played soccer since 4 and is now in judo. My 4yr old DD will start soccer this year too. Ds, age 1 is still to young. Thank Goodness! Oh and ds takes piano lessons as well. My oldest daughters took it for a while and decided it wasn't for them.

I think sports are extremely important but only if the kids are interested in it. Some kids are just not sports minded and that is great. As long as they are active in some way rather than sitting in front of the tv and have other interest, I wouldn't worry.

I am of the mindset that team sports teach children so many valuable lessons and give them experiences that are different from those which occur in other settings. I would never force my kids to do sports if they truly weren't interested, but I think that in early elementary school, kids can join a soccer, baseball or basketball team for a short season and try it out. My boys have both played Upward basketball (a fabulous program) since kindergarten and it has been so beneficial for them. They also love it. :) I will sign up my youngest dd when she is old enough to play. My oldest is now almost 15 and has taken the fine arts/music path, which is her choice to make. But yes, I think it is important to expose kids to at least one short season of a team sport at some point in elementary school. My parents signed me up for any sport I wanted to play and while I didn't continue with any of them, I recall the experience fondly and was glad I had the chance to try these out. :001_smile:

How important to you feel it is to have children involved in sports? Mine aren't, except for one season of baseball for oldest dd. I've been thinking of this recently, and wonder if I should make this more of a priority. They haven't asked, but is it important to try them in different sports? What do you consider the value of team sports to be?

Of course, all the kiddos had well visits this week and were all asked if they were involved in sports. I left kinda feeling like the strange homeschool mom who doesn't really involve the kids in much outside the house. Of course, we are all happy as larks and they all have their own interests, but none have really asked about sports and I really haven't thought much about it. Oldest dd volunteers at a nursing home twice a week, dd 5 takes horse back riding, dd9 loves everything science and animas and usually has her face in a book or outside in the dirt. But we don't have much organized activity outside of the home.

Thoughts?

This can be an extremely competitve sport!!!!! As soon as she's old enough for 4-h, there's all kinds of practices. and shows...depending on how involved you guys want to be. My dd has 2 riding practices a week + her lesson and then when she practices with me ( I give other "lessons" just not my own kid :)

All of my kids are athletic...so we do sports...part of me wishes we didn't do so many, but it has kept them very connected to their friends. I think you can find that thru a variety of venues, clubs and artistic pursuits.

On the other hand I do believe regular physical exercise that is training the larger muscle groups is a great thing!!!!

No doubt true. However, it is much more likely that a child who doesn't play sports from early childhood will be (to use your terms) "slow, fat, weak, uncoordinated and/or doesn't understand the rules of the game."

Athleticism is to some degree a product of natural gifts, but it can not be underestimated how transformational hard-work and athletic training can be. I believe it as important to discipline ones body as it is ones mind (well, maybe I'd put the mind first :D).

The author of A Running Start : How Play, Physical Activity And Free Time Create A Successful Child thinks that too often kids are not explicitly taught the basics of movement that actually would lead to athletic development in organized sports; they are just expected to know how to the sports/movements. I have to say, I see something true about this....And incidentally Charlotte Mason has sort of the same "beef" with most educational systems with regard to habit training, i.e. some kids have certain abilities (being organized, prompt, tidy and so forth), while others don't; those who don't, are rarely actually taught these skills.

Physical fitness and athleticism has always been part of the "classical ideal" as I see it.

Especially for young men. Cough.

Both boys and girls benefit from learning the life-skills that come with dealing with others on the playing grounds that are hard to reproduce else-wise. The ability to be part of a team, both as a leader, and as a team-mate and having a natural way of dealing in groups is second nature with children who have a good exposure to being part of a team (granting that bad coaches, and bad situations exist).

I think most men I know know it when they are dealing with another man (or woman) who knows "how to play ball" and when they are dealing with an individual who does not.

Man am I in trouble :tongue_smilie:

PQR I need you! :D

Bill

And, from Stripe: too often kids are not explicitly taught the basics of movement that actually would lead to athletic development in organized sports; they are just expected to know how to the sports/movements. I have to say, I see something true about this....And incidentally Charlotte Mason has sort of the same "beef" with most educational systems with regard to habit training, i.e. some kids have certain abilities (being organized, prompt, tidy and so forth), while others don't; those who don't, are rarely actually taught these skills.

I haven't read all of the other responses. I agree with what Bill and Stripe have written above. IF the child wants to play whatever sport it is the parent is offering. THAT being said, sometimes the child might actually 'want' to play if they felt more comfortable in their own skin -

My dad was athletic, my mom was/is not (pushing MahJongg tiles around the card table at the swim club is not athletic, imo :glare:). I 'wanted' to be involved in sports, but my dad was always working and my mom had NO interest. Thankfully, a PE teacher in public school (the ONLY year I attended public school) saw 'something' and had my classroom teacher and my friends encourage me to try out for 'track.' (funny, I did not know at the time that my dad had been a track star in high school).

The basic training involved in track opened the door to lots of stuff I was good at and I enjoyed immensely....that was a huge confidence builder for me. For my younger sister, sports were and still are anathema to her.....but my nieces played t-ball and stuff and had fun -- b/c if you cannot have fun doing that stuff, one shouldn't be doing it.

My advice would be to listen to the child, impart wisdom, and give them the benefit of the doubt if necessary.

DD11 was given the opportunity to play back-up goalie on an "A" league Lacrosse team this spring. DH and I looked at each other, didn't say a word, and asked dd what she thought of it. She LOVED the idea. (trust me, she is not typical goalie physical build). We were concerned, but we know and trust the coach, and decided to let her try it.

After two games, she was named THE goalie - the starting goalie decided after the first practice that she HATED playing goalie and playing lacrosse. DD stepped up BIG TIME - she welcomed the challenge and she has wowed coaches on other teams and has made a name for herself. She wowed us -- she really showed us what she is made of.....in the goalie cage. In sports, she has found her 'niche' and she is thrilled. We would not have seen this side of her without this foray into sports.

Just my .02

Edited by MariannNOVA

My dc do play sports, but I don't feel it is necessary to play organized sports. Of course, I don't have much faith in organized sports anymore after seeing the goofiness that is modern children's sports programs. :glare: and a :confused: A lot has changed since we were kiddos, and I think the type of leagues that build our character are rare, at least here. That's probably another thread altogether.

Dh does coach ds's baseball team, he wrestles and will play soccer starting this fall, and the girls want to join the school's cross country team this year. Ds would like to wrestle competitively in high school.

I think sacrificing a large amount of family time to high pressure leagues for young children is not a road our family would ever go down. We are watching that play out in several families we know.

I think learning the basic rules and techniques of sports played socially (basketball, softball/baseball, tennis, etc.) is important, though, however that happens: camps, leagues, classes, dad or mom, etc. That is a goal for our dc. Another of our long-term goals for dc is that they know and enjoy a sport that can be done on their own for life: swimming, running, etc. They spend daily time on overall physcial fitness.

The author of A Running Start : How Play, Physical Activity And Free Time Create A Successful Child thinks that too often kids are not explicitly taught the basics of movement that actually would lead to athletic development in organized sports; they are just expected to know how to the sports/movements. I have to say, I see something true about this....And incidentally Charlotte Mason has sort of the same "beef" with most educational systems with regard to habit training, i.e. some kids have certain abilities (being organized, prompt, tidy and so forth), while others don't; those who don't, are rarely actually taught these skills.

I don't know the book you are recommending, but I certainly share the sentiment that there are precursor skills in body movement (and just basic conditioning) that need to be developed before (or concurrently) with participation is sports.

Especially for young men. Cough.

True. However this man believes sports are equally important for girls and women. One of the life-changing experiences in my life was coaching the "girls" (flag) football team in High School. Ever after my estimation of women and their abilities has been seen in a different light than it was before that experience. And 30+ years later I still have women tell me the experience changed their lives.

So call me a neo-classicist :D

Bill

Watching sports, of course, has nothing to do with playing sports or having been partially shaped by playing sports in ones youth.

I obviously don't know your husband, but I'd suspect some of the skills forced on him my his old man (on the playing field) do inform activities like building house in Mexico or getting along with co-workers. I could be wrong.

Bill

True enough, Bill. I don't know.

I talked with my husband last night and we actually had a good conversation about it. Even though he hates sports, he thinks our son (especially since he never stops moving) WOULD benefit from more sports. He totally surprised me because he has never once mentioned it, encouraged it, etc! He thinks it would help him develop better self-control. So maybe this thread wound up being good for us.

The only thing that is going to stink is if I'm the one who has to deal with all of it. I don't know the first thing about sports. Never played a day in my life except for the dreaded gym class.

True enough, Bill. I don't know.

I talked with my husband last night and we actually had a good conversation about it. Even though he hates sports, he thinks our son (especially since he never stops moving) WOULD benefit from more sports. He totally surprised me because he has never once mentioned it, encouraged it, etc! He thinks it would help him develop better self-control. So maybe this thread wound up being good for us.

The only thing that is going to stink is if I'm the one who has to deal with all of it. I don't know the first thing about sports. Never played a day in my life except for the dreaded gym class.

Lets say I anticipated you'd have this conversation, and I'm unsurprised that you were surprised ;) :D

Now your good (and probably tired) man is going to have to step-up and internalize (and externalize) the best of what he got from his father. Just don't tell him it was my idea :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Lets say I anticipated you'd have this conversation, and I'm unsurprised that you were surprised ;) :D

Now your good (and probably tired) man is going to have to step-up and internalize (and externalize) the best of what he got from his father. Just don't tell him it was my idea :tongue_smilie:

Bill

It will be a while. He has cervical surgery in less than five days. Sigh. None of us is thinking about joining a sports team tomorrow.

Epiphany! Maybe the lack of sports interest all these years is due, in part, to the fact that he has psoriatic arthritis (finally diagnosed this past Sept). Hm, I bet he's never thought about it.

Edited by Daisy
because I had an epiphany, of course.

It will be a while. He has cervical surgery in less than five days. Sigh. None of us is thinking about joining a sports team tomorrow.

Epiphany! Maybe the lack of sports interest all these years is due, in part, to the fact that he has psoriatic arthritis (finally diagnosed this past Sept). Hm, I bet he's never thought about it.

My most sincere well-wishes for a successful surgery and full recovery.

My wife need a hip replacement years back (very arthritic) so I know what it's like to see ones partner suffer.

All my best,

Bill

Athletics are very important to me. As a woman. I feel like every success I've had in life has been due to my parents' encouragement to make sports an integral part of my life. It taught me how to handle losing gracefully, and how not to be a "sore winner." It taught me that every setback isn't the end of the world. I could go on for pages. I'll resist! :D

I already see it doing positive things in my daughter, who's 6. She's so quietly confident after swimming on the town swim team for a year. She's bloomed into a lovely young girl, who's now willing to try new things (Hello surf camp in a few weeks!). She's now interested in health and nutrition, and caring for her body. It has built an active awareness of physicality that's a delight!

BTW, OP, I think horseback riding is quite athletic. Maybe if you focus on athleticism (sp?) v. whatever you're defining as "sport", it would widen your world? Just musing....

We haven't actively pursued team sports yet. Then, this summer I enrolled my dd in softball and my oldest ds in soccer. While watching dd's first practice, I realized that I have been neglecting a piece of her education. I think knowing how to play common sports is important in our culture. My dd is somewhat behind the girls her age, so we will have sports training at home this summer. Little ol' pregnant me will be doing the best I can with my little guys, and I think it will be fun.

Those of you who didn't play sports or were awkward with sports, I wonder if your experience would have been different if your parents had taught you the very basics? I think my dc should know how to adequately catch, hit, and field a baseball; catch and throw a football; and dribble and shoot a basketball. They don't have to enjoy it or be good at it, but I bet they put those basic skills to use at some point in their lives.

Sports are a large part of our cultural identity where I live. I don't want my dc to be embarrassed when all the other kids start a pick-up game of something and my kids don't even know how to run bases.

My kids play sports, but it is really low key. They do soccer all year with the YMCA. The coach tries to keep families together and so we have one practice time a week and one game time usually. We do intense soccer clinics so the kids can get a taste for the very competitive side of soccer. They learn a lot and decide they don't want to play super competitive soccer. We do flag football and baseball that is a homeschool pe co-op. My kids have also played basketball via weeklong clinics given by students earning money for missions. It's wonderful to learn all about sports and not have it take up your life. My high schooler played soccer at the local hs and loved it but it almost killed his love for soccer.

We are bigger into academics, music, drama, church, and friends. I have friends that spend their lives at game fields. They love it and so do their kids. Not me.

I never did a team sport and neither has my DH...yet all of our kids love sports. They do soccer, flag and tackle football, and wrestling. They'd like to add swimming and I think that's probably the best skill they could develop.

My DH and I love having our kids in sports and seeing how it's changed them...it has exposed them to valuable life experiences, especially social ones that I see as vital to homeschoolers.

We both feel a bit gyped that we never played anything. My mom told me that she never thought to put me in because she thought I was uncoordinated and I didn't ask because I was the kid picked last who didn't know the rules. My husband always felt too small...yet 2 of our tiny sons placed 1st and 2nd in their wrestling divisions out-of-state their first year!

It's opened our previously judgmental eyes. Really, we abhorred sports and those that played them. We still think, why do people sit and watch sports their kids aren't playing, but we can see the value of participation now.

My DD is 5, and has done sports only when she's asked to do them. So far, that was one season of t-ball, and she just started rec league cheerleading. In both cases, it was because she had a friend involved and wanted to do it with them, but I think the cheerleading might stick (although I don't want her to go beyond the sidelines, cheer, wave pompoms, and simple dance routines of rec league. Competitive is just too much in all aspects-money, time, and risk). The t-ball, on the other hand, convinced her that she could find something better to do with her time :).

My oldest dd, 13, does swimming and did dance for many years. She also took karate and gymnastics for a while. She takes P.E. during school so she has learned sports rules and skills that way. She is not into any team sports because she has coordination issues and is not athletically inclined. She would love to do horse riding and has taken some lessons in the past but it is a sport we can't afford right now.

My youngest dd, 6, is also doing swimming and dance. Swimming will be only during the summer, when that's done I am contemplating putting her in something else, maybe soccer, gymnastics or martial arts. Fortunately she does not have coordination issues, so hopefully she will be able to enjoy sports more fully.

My dh learned sports as a young adult and has played recreational flag football, cricket, volleyball, squash, tennis and golf but he doesn't have a lot of talent if you ask me :001_smile:!

I didn't do sports at all at school. I started taking fitness classes as a young adult. I would love to be able to play ball sports but I have very poor depth perception so it's useless!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Sports are a requirement at our house, but the kids get to choose what they want. I think sports help with physical activity, they teach discipline, and respect for authority.

My ds9 does baseball year round here. My ds5 does competitive level gymnastics. As a family we go hiking and swimming often. My dd2 can hike 3, almost 4 miles before needing to be carried. She can also swim the length of a pool.

I wanted to add that my dh played baseball through High School. I played Soccer and was on the Cross Country team throughout school.

Edited by mrsjamiesouth

My dc have participated a little bit. We did a homeschool soccer "class", they have done golf, and this spring they were part of the town baseball/softball teams. We do it for social reasons, physical fitness, exposure to a sport, and for learning how to be part of a team. Soccer pretty much bombed here. DD loves softball and golf and ds could take or leave any of it. I don't think either child would have initiated any of these just because it's not top of mind for them. Now that I've signed them up for some things and they've completed them, I will continue mentioning opportunities and if they want to sign up, we can.

We have discovered that we just are not a sports family. We have tried several sports with a lovely homeschool sports group but ended this last season thrilled to be done! I used to think they were very important, but now I think just finding some physical activity is enough. We have discovered that we love to ride our bikes, and now that our youngest has moved beyond training wheels we can get in some good bike rides.

Thoughts?

All our kids are required to do a sport/physical fitness... either individual or team. Dh and I feel it is important all around. Good for self discipline, mental and physical health, and just gets the kids out of the house to do something positive. Which sport/activity they do is determined by cost and if the schedule is do-able for Dh/me.

Right now all four of our kids do Kung Fu. It is so convenient as I just take all four at the same time 2-3 times a week. And it is only a 1.5 miles from our house. It is economical as we get a family discount since all four of the kids and Dh do this. After the 2nd one joined the Kung Fu school.. the rest are free. I love the flexibility because if we can't do a week... no problem, we can make up the missed classes. Also if I just don't feel like taking them one day... no problem, we just don't go. For my Dd it isn't so easy since she competes at tournaments and she goes 5-6 days a week for a class or team training. Also on Mon/Tues she teaches two classes each day.

The three boys do bowling league once a week. Sometimes they do tournaments. One other benefit is that they earn scholarship money. But they have to have continuous membership in bowling membership, even if they don't bowl that season, to be able to collect on the annual members scholarship. Tournament scholarship winnings are theirs to keep.

We do not do organized sports in baseball, soccer, football, basketball, etc. I sometimes let them join the YMCA or park district leagues but not often. Usually this is something they have to do via middle/high school sports programs. But since we homeschool for high school it isn't an option once they get to 9th grade. It is just too much money, too much contol over our lives (requires volunteering at concession stands, required fundraising), and often it is the parents who have poor sportmanship behavior. I just don't see any reason to put ourselves as a family through such experiences. I loved sports when I was growing up (played softball and did allstar team), but never did I experience anything like it is around here now days.

In the past our kids participated in cross country track, basketball, wrestling, volleyball, track & field through the schools.

Edited by AnitaMcC

Currently Just my ds. He plays (and loves, loves, loves) soccer. Everyone has tried tball, soccer and basketball but the girls weren't interested in continuing to play. My ds wrestled for a couple of years and my oldest dd was a competitive synchronized swimmer for two years. All three of my dc dance though (tap and jazz).

Dh and I didn't do sports (other than neighborhood games) until college where we played intermural sports (basketball, soccer and ultimate freesby). Our kids have done sports (soccer and later karate, swim and dive). They all think it has been a worthwhile activity. They have chosen to do these sports though when they were young, it was our idea to sign them up (they all started soccer around 4). It never became the biggest thing in their lives but has been a valuable part of their upbringing. Getting along with others, team spirit, developing skills, perseverance, etc. I agree with Bill that one of the reasons they aren't the kids who are so slow and last picked is because they did do sports since they were young. It certainly wasn't genetics and they don't have natural athletic talent but they all developed a lot of skill to help make up for lack of innate talent and it has been a great thing to watch.

I believe there is something character building to the blend of competition and cooperation that comes with learning to be a member of a team.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bill. I see great value in playing team sports (and notably, my own athletic endeavours are individual- rather than team-oriented;)). I have to admit that I can't imagine life without sports on some level. I do think team sports should be part of a child's repertoire. Equally important ~ or moreso ~ is orienting children toward the outdoors in general.