Menu

How do you start your school day?

Family devotions? Recitation of memory work? A read-aloud? Or do you jump right in to some of your more demanding subjects, say math or latin?

Up until now, we've done the latter-- having my 2 older boys tackling their math lessons while I tend to our 3 yo and newborn seemed to make sense, but now that we're getting back into our groove, I'm thinking I'd rather begin our day w/ some "together time," so to speak... some time on the sofa, perhaps, gathered around a good book or a Bible lesson before the boys head in their separate directions. Do any of you do this? Does it work well for you? What do you do?

Any insights into your day would be wonderful... I learn so much that way! Thanks!

We usually start w/ math or spelling. My dc need to get the math done as early as possible, before their brains turn to mush for the day! Occasionally we will do something together first, but mine don't always get up at the same times. It's also easier to get my oldest started on his day before I start doing anything w/ my 3rd graders.

HTH

For years, we used to started with our Bible time altogether, including scripture memory, prayer, Windows on the World for missions. I purposed to make tat the foundation of what we did for the day, rather than just another subject. It was very good for *me* to establish that habit, as I can get busy with my day and not get back to devotions.

But about two years ago, I did decide to move Bible and start teach math and grammar to my younger dc. With the birth of my 6th and 7th children, I needed to use the very early morning for one-on-one teaching before the baby woke. So, now, I teach math, grammar and a short preschool time for my 3-yo (hopefully) before the baby wakes up. Then, we all gather together for Bible.

Moral of the story -- do what fits for your family. If you are feeling the need to gather together first, go ahead! I *love* that our homeschool schedule can change to fit the needs/desires of our family!

HTH,

Lisa

Mmm, I start with a spa with my husband (outside spa) while the kids do their many chores.

Then they start with maths while I get dressed and have breakfast.

I like to start with maths, it is our longest subject and the one I insist on every single day, Latin coming straight after, although that is only 3 days a week at the moment.

:D Dc are up before me, eat breakfast, clear table, do other chores (dishes, sweeping) so when I get up, I don't have to look at a messy sink and table. I'm such a slave-driver. :) Core subjects are all done in the am in whatever order the dc choose...as long as they all get done. I help when necessary, give spelling tests, etc. I imagine this will ALL change once this baby decides he's had enough of his watery home. HINT, HINT, baby! Perfect world? I'd love to start the day all curled up on the sofa, reading Scripture or some sort of devotion or character study or at the very least...a read-aloud. Perhaps the new baby will inspire us. Oh, and Peela? Very jealous. Very. A spa w/ dh! How cool.

I put the sit down work on the table and I sit in between the girls. I do math with the first grader while the 3yo plays with blocks or scissors or whatever she chooses from her stack. Once math is done, the older starts copy work and I give attention to the 3yo. We usually break for a story on the couch after math and copy work. Those are the two subjects that I plan to do year-round so we do them first and consistently.

I used to insist we do math first, while we were fresh.

But for the past several months or so we've been starting out with history or science. I've found that, as those are my son's favorite subjects, it puts him in a better mood for the rest of the day, something math first did not!

I work with my 11 yo while the 6 yo gets ready and does some work on the computer.

A typical sequence for the 11 yo is: spelling, grammar with me, math with me, science with me. Then on to independent work--grammar, Latin, writing, math, and science. Then we're back together for history read alouds.

The sequence for the 6 yo is: get ready and work on computer until the older one is on to independent work. Then math, language arts, history, and science. Then he plays while I read history to the older one.

Next year we will be doing a Bible study all together. I haven't decided when in the sequence we'll do this.

I grab the first kid who passes my way after I am sufficiently caffienated. I git a hold of the victim and say "Come on you, let's smarten you up a bit" and haul him or her to the classroom.

I am not kidding. That really is what I do and that really is what I say. They are used to it.

I get one kid going on math usually. We go over the lesson and then I set him or her to doing the exercises. Then I walk around the house and holler "Where are my scholars?" while children scream, laugh and try to hide. I find one, and haul him or her to the classroom and do it all again.

Some people have a less chaotic way of starting their day, but this works okay for us. We are kind of chaotic people anyway.

I grab the first kid who passes my way after I am sufficiently caffienated. I git a hold of the victim and say "Come on you, let's smarten you up a bit" and haul him or her to the classroom.

I am not kidding. That really is what I do and that really is what I say. They are used to it.

I get one kid going on math usually. We go over the lesson and then I set him or her to doing the exercises. Then I walk around the house and holler "Where are my scholars?" while children scream, laugh and try to hide. I find one, and haul him or her to the classroom and do it all again.

Some people have a less chaotic way of starting their day, but this works okay for us. We are kind of chaotic people anyway.

I love it. :thumbup:

We're very similar, but we don't start school until after lunch so my "snag and teach" starts with the first one to finish eating. We don't do any subjects in a specific order. The kids each have a weekly binder so after I snag them they take their things for the day out and look them over. Whatever they pick is what we do in whatever order they want. The only thing they have to agree on is doing history and science as they are combined for that.

followed by a short read aloud, Bible reading or devotional, singing, prayer and memory. Then we move to the school room for math, reading, spelling, etc. After lunch we finish up any memory or piano we didn't do in the am and do history or science.

I love it. :thumbup:

We're very similar, but we don't start school until after lunch so my "snag and teach" starts with the first one to finish eating. We don't do any subjects in a specific order. The kids each have a weekly binder so after I snag them they take their things for the day out and look them over. Whatever they pick is what we do in whatever order they want. The only thing they have to agree on is doing history and science as they are combined for that.

SNAG AND TEACH!!!!!! I LOVE it. It sounds so official. It could go on a real list of homeschooly terms.

Classical

Latin Centered

Unschool

Snag and Teach........

Fabulous, thank you for giving it a real name. Can I use this on my highschooler's transcript?

It used to be bible first with both boys but the little one has decided to eat really... really... slowly. So now he gets to sit and eat while we do math and poetry and reading and...

When he's finally done (it may take him 20 minutes to drink 4 oz of water), it's usually time for some read-alouds. And lunch. :)

I'd go for it and try the change in routine! You can easily switch back, right?

This year we have been starting with logic and a critical thinking activity to wake up our brains. We then take a walk to wake up our bodies.

After this we will do the subjects that are done together (right now history, science, word roots) and then the kids can move on to individual subjects. Usually one will pipe up with what they want to do and depending on if they need me this is when I work with one while the other does independent work.

This has been working out really well and has been a nice way to start our school time.

Oh, Kelli ... this is so close to how we start our school day, it's scary. LOL!

I bring all the school books to the kitchen table, in a big pile. I find that we are more likely to get to it all, if it's all there in the first place. Then I begin the snagging. And we're kind of chaotic people, too. Heh.

We don't start with any particular subject, any more. Once I've snagged them, they can choose the order, pretty much.

We don't start with any particular subject, any more. Once I've snagged them, they can choose the order, pretty much.

I usually make them hit the math first, while their brains are fresh. But after that I will let them choose the order of their day except for group lessons. History is our only group lesson right now.

I love the 'snag and teach' term. I think I do this as well, though I didn't recognize it until this illuminating thread.

Technically the morning is supposed to start with a rosary, then breakfast where I try to read the daily Mass readings (scripture) while everybody eats. This happens maybe twice a week though at best!

Right after breakfast though I tend to be more consisent with copy work. Then everybody goes and does whatever subject they feel the need to do. My older ones work on homework or get prepped to go to a classes. My younger ones get snagged by me and I read aloud to them or we work on some kind of language arts and/or math. We don't do every subject every day. We just started Latin for Children a couple weeks ago and that happens either right before lunch or right after lunch.

Lately I've been typing up 'to do' lists for each child and posting them on the fridge. Then as we proceed through the day I cross off the items. This has been working, because each does differ in many ways and I can't seem to fit it into a nice calendar/schedule/planner type thing.

It's funny that everybody likes to do math first thing in the a.m. My kids are not morning people. They like to do their math at night! This probably also became the habit because my dh was far more likely to help them with math than I am, so they tend to wait until he gets home.

I also used to insist on doing Math first, but found it put dd in a bad mood for the rest of the morning. We begin the day with reading, and it seems to puts her in a good mood and she does the rest of her school work.

I wished I had figured this out years ago!

I have 2 kids who wake up extra early with their Dad.....too early for me. They like to get all work done way before lunch. After breakfast, we say morning prayers, they take turns reading the saint of the day and mass readings. I spend most time teaching the little one, then rotate through the older ones as and when they're ready for me to help them. It somehow works itself out..... most days. There have been times when they've all come to me at the same time.,,, it can get a little harried then.

For Faithr, our alarm clock in the den is set for 7:15pm (and it rings pretty loudly) so everyone know it's time to say the rosary. In the mornings, my little one has the privilege of ringing a small bell to let everyone know it's prayer time (just like in the monasteries) I think I got the idea from a MODG newsletter.

We begin with Bible and memory work, then on to math, Latin/grammar, spelling and copywork. My ds loves history and science so I use them as carrots to get him through the subjects which require writing. Ds thinks he is allergic to pencils :-)

We used to start our day with math and since that is their least favorite subject, I moved it back to 2nd or 3rd subject and moved Bible or independent reading up to the front. We wake up around 6:45 and they watch a 30 minute program they love and I have my dose of coffee and Fox News. They then get up for breakfast and a few minutes of nature. We live on a lake and I find if they get out and walk around for a few minutes that they are ready to settle in until lunch. It has been a great habit for them and I find they want to go out in ALL types of weather just to see what is out there. I am always amazed how they "see" things in nature that I find many of our friends' children that are not homeschooled do not see. I find that many kids seem to be "nature deficient" and my kids can find amazing things. I find that it is better to start them with reading or even an audio tape. Sometimes we get interesting emails from my dad(their grandfather) and we go thru these!

I try to get my dc up by 8:00 and they do chores first.

Then we do Bible and devotions while they eat breakfast.

Then we generally do our read aloud time and the older one then listens in while the younger one and I read Apologia Elementary.

Then my 6th grader goes off to do independent work and my 1st grader and I do her school subjects that she needs me to do with her and her Apologia lapbook.

Many is the day we don't make it up by 8am but the day proceeds exactly the same regardless.

Wait, let me clarify, many is the day no one but me makes it up by 8am. I am up at the proverbial crack of dawn feeding critters, cleaning the kitchen, making lunch for my dh, setting the coffee machine and the kettle to work and writing the weeks school assignments. Then I do my email and run the church prayer chain. Then I work out and then, my favorite part of my morning, coffee in my Peace Hill Press mug and my check in on these boards!

So, thats how mornings go around here, I like routine, the dc do well with routine and some days get thrown off no matter what you plan. ;)

I get up before the crack of dawn, and work for 3-4 hours on my "paid work" (online teaching and editing). I get my 13 yos up at 7:30--he has an hour and a half to practice viola, get himself ready for school, and do his morning chores (trash, animals--indoor and outdoor).

If the boys are much slower at lunch than I am, I read poetry and our read aloud while they eat lunch. If we're eating at the same pace, I will ask them fun quiz questions pertaining to our current studies.

When lunch is over, they start with math.

DD eats and watches a TV show first thing in the morning...sometimes two if I wasn't up before her and haven't had adequate time to caffienate myself. Then one or the other of us declares that it's school time, and I drag her away from the TV or she drags me off the computer.

We start with a read-aloud of our Aesop's fable for the week, which DD will narrate or respond to with a story of her own (the latter usually having nothing to do with the fable, but she IS practicing narrating something with a beginning, middle, and, eventually when I insist, end). After the fable we do our memory work, which is a Havamal verse tied to the moral of the fable. Sometimes DD will color during the fable, especially on the first day of the week (Tuesday because she has art class Monday morning).

Once I get in Wee Sing America, we'll probably start off with a patriotic song/poem to precede the fable. It'd be circle time, but there's only the two of us so it's more of a line.

I'm teaching two young ones, so I turn on the campy cheerleader and sing "Good Morning To You."

It goes like this, to the tune of the Happy Birthday Song:

Good morning to you,

Good morning to you,

Good morning to you, dear children,

Good morning to you,

And yes, it is every bit as hokey as it sounds.

After that is singing, then memory work, then violin. We do singing first to wake everyone up and memory work next because it's a natural transition. We do violin next because it's my least favorite.

After that, I try to break up listening with activities, so we have history, penmanship (with copywork for older and Explode the Code 1 for younger), lunch, science, Bible, and Spanish. Then I do math with the younger one alone, and he naps while I do math, spelling, grammar, and reading with the older. At the end of the day is art,