Menu

So funny I nearly hyperventilated...

Wow! In some ways, I feel that is a little like the church we left last summer. We were actually on staff part-time. We found a church that we love. We got a 10 minute sermonette at every offering time. We love the church we found, and guess what...there's no offering taken AT ALL. There are boxes on the wall by the doors, but it isn't even mentioned.

Refreshing!

Ok, I giggled too. And now I feel a little bad about it because I don't appreciate it when people mock my faith or worship choices, and I don't really want to be mocking someone else's, even if I do think they're a bit strange and off the mark. Funny video, well executed satire, but maybe not a nice thing to do?

Ok, I giggled too. And now I feel a little bad about it because I don't appreciate it when people mock my faith or worship choices, and I don't really want to be mocking someone else's, even if I do think they're a bit strange and off the mark. Funny video, well executed satire, but maybe not a nice thing to do?

I don't know..this feels a little like laughing at ourselves, to me. A bit different than mockery.

I think it's very different than mockery, because it was put together by North Pointe media. North point is one of the mega churches out there...so there making fun of themselves, in a way :)

Thank you for telling us that! I feel so much better now. Now I can admit it was funny. :D We went with friends to their mega church, and it was very much like that. But if that's what got some people to church praising God and reading the Bible, then that's okay by me. :)

The best part was the awards at the end! :lol:

Yes, I loved the little awards! The first one mentioned the Papyrus font and my dh adores that font. He is given the pastor's sermon pts ahead of time so he can prepare them for the big screen every Sunday and he always uses that font (unless I intervene and insist on a different one every now and then). It always leads to an amusing conversation. Other then that and maybe the offering thing, I am glad that video did'nt look too much like my Sunday morning. Although, there are some in our church who wish it did. And then there are those who would fall over dead of heart attacks if we had that much contemporary music.:D

This isn't mocking anyone's faith. This is mocking a service style that is popular right now, but didn't exist a generation ago and probably won't a generation from now. It's not mocking Christianity.

This isn't mocking anyone's faith. This is mocking a service style that is popular right now, but didn't exist a generation ago and probably won't a generation from now. It's not mocking Christianity.

Right. So that would fall under "worship choice" rather than "faith" in my comment that you quoted. It bothers me when people poke fun at either the content or the style of my interactions with God. And I wouldn't want to do that to someone else regarding either their faith or their choice of worship style, because I know what that feels like. Quite frankly, the service style spoofed in this video makes my skin crawl. It, in itself, seems to me a mockery of Christianity. That's not what I meant by my comment, however. I do certainly realize that most people do not see it that way, and certainly many people enjoy that style of worship, and I can respect that this is their choice. So as distasteful as I find it myself, I would not want to participate in an act of mocking either the content or style of someone else's relationship with God. This is what I was getting at. I feel a little bad about laughing at it, in spite of the well-executed satire, because in some ways this worship style does represent someone else's deepest relationship with their maker, which ought to be given the respect it deserves.

That said, though, from the comments that have been given, and with a little more insight into the background of the makers of the video, I now understand that it is intended to be a good natured, humorous look at themselves and an invitation to others who do appreciate and/or participate in that worship style to join in the jovial introspection. I get that now.

Edited by MamaSheep

True confessions :) Our church looks a lot like that, except for the pastoral manipulation, giving manipulation, some of those things.

So last night, we were hosting a young adult small group in our home...and dh and I showed them the video. We were all laughing hysterically!!!

They all pointed at dh and were like "hey that's you!!!!" cool guy with tatoo welcomeing everyone. It was FUN!

Love that video! Dh showed it to me earlier this week.

I'd like to gently remind everyone to play nice in the sandbox. Some of these comments are a little much. I understand that this style of worship isn't for everyone (especially people who are rooted in the christian community and want church to always look like what they grew up with). The truth is, whatever church you attend was the new flavor at some point. Just as Paul stood on Mars Hill and engaged with the culture around him on their terms, this new generation of churches is engaging with the current culture. The American church is becoming increasingly obsolete and this new generation of pastors and church planters are desperate to reach people. What this does NOT equal is a watering down of the scripture. My dh is a pastor who has a forearm tattoo (lol!!) and wears jeans and t-shirts on stage. He is also a pastor who just spent 3 weeks teaching on the cannon and the inerrancy of scripture. So, I'm totally ok if this type of church is outside of your preference, just try to be respectful when expressing that. Thanks!

ETA: Ok, so the line that prompted this was "makes my skin crawl," but after rereading the post, I think I understand what Mamasheep was trying to say. At first read I took it differently. Sorry for the rabbit trail!

Edited by Shannon831
clarification