Menu

Islam and terrorism

It's my impression that most (not all) terrorism in the Western world is committed by Muslims. What do you teach your children about the reason for this association, at what age do you teach them, and using what books?

The whole topic is politically incorrect but vitally important IMO.

Oh hello there cute little Larvae. :D

Please, allow me to bless you with alligator skin... you will need it for this post. Suit up, put that armor on, and try not to fall. The dragon may sound vicious and sure it can snarl, but ultimately, it's just a fairy tale dragon: gone when you turn the monitor off. ;)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Please, allow me to bless you with alligator skin... you will need it for this post. Suit up, put that armor on, and try not to fall. The dragon may sound vicious and sure it can snarl, but ultimately, it's just a fairy tale dragon: gone when you turn the monitor off. ;)

Lol! I was wondering where the ten foot poles were.

OK now for a serious answer LOL...

give your dc what they can handle, when they can handle it. The world is full of evil PEOPLE who do evil things. Some of them do things because they're wacko, some of them do things because they have a belief system that makes them think they'll be rewarded. Tread lightly; do not create hate for one particular group: Hitler tried that and look what happened. Rather, create compassion in their hearts for all of mankind.

My dd is 10 and because of Tapestry, she does know about other worldviews and their motives for doing things. We pray for all the different groups of the world and we don't fear them. We are not afraid of terrorism, but understand that some people can be fanatical beyond reason.

:lol:

:D I lubs you soooo much :001_wub::001_wub:

Guest Cindie2dds

:lol: I'll have to remember this! So true.

OK now for a serious answer LOL...

give your dc what they can handle, when they can handle it. The world is full of evil PEOPLE who do evil things. Some of them do things because they're wacko, some of them do things because they have a belief system that makes them think they'll be rewarded. Tread lightly; do not create hate for one particular group: Hitler tried that and look what happened. Rather, create compassion in their hearts for all of mankind.

Wise advice, momma.

We talk about world view almost daily. Not as a "subject" but in response to people, situations, news, interests.

We read the Bible outloud and discuss it and we read a LOT of history and discuss it almost every day. We study church history and we study various religions and we are diligent students of our own faith "system."

We try to teach that there is no: "us" vs. "them" or "muslim" vs. "west" or "black" vs. "white," but we do teach there is "clash of ideas and values and beliefs" and people are willing to live and die for those vaues and ideas and beliefs.

And we pray for our world and those who are driven by anger, fear and hate and that God would protect us from the dangers and fears and bitterness that drive actions that kill, steal and destroy.

I am going to step back and watch from a distance. (see photo below)

THIS: give your dc what they can handle, when they can handle it. The world is full of evil PEOPLE who do evil things. Some of them do things because they're wacko, some of them do things because they have a belief system that makes them think they'll be rewarded. Tread lightly; do not create hate for one particular group: Hitler tried that and look what happened. Rather, create compassion in their hearts for all of mankind.

My dd is 10 and because of Tapestry, she does know about other worldviews and their motives for doing things. We pray for all the different groups of the world and we don't fear them. We are not afraid of terrorism, but understand that some people can be fanatical beyond reason.

.....is an excellent response. Unfortunately, you can pretty much count on your original question getting buried and the thread will digress.

83317347.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DIWSAsset%26k%3D2%26d%3DEDF6F2F4F969CEBDBA86359C25AE57F76A4C5076FDD63861FF281D60973C6E01ETA: Let me know if the photo doesn't show up -- I actually picked this photo b/c it looks like ME! I jumped when I saw it b/c it could be me.......watching the neighbors!:smilielol5:I just crack myself up!

Edited by MariannNOVA

It's my impression that most (not all) terrorism in the Western world is committed by Muslims. What do you teach your children about the reason for this association, at what age do you teach them, and using what books?

I am betting this thread gets deleted pretty quickly but here is my two cents.

Terrorism is just today's news. I try to teach a bigger view of history. There have been thousands of acts of violence committed by all kinds of religions. There still are all kinds of thugs, dictators and lunatics all over the world committing horrific acts of violence but right now what pops to the top of most news source radar is Muslim terrorism. It is just one more era in a fairly violent world history. We wait until the kids are a little older to talk about the details of wars and destruction and it pretty much comes up in any history curriculum we use. We wait until nearly highschool to do in depth studies of the two world wars because there was a lot of really ugly stuff going on then, for example. We have mostly used SOTW and it gives a pretty big picture view of the sweep of world history without getting too detailed about specific acts of violence.

I assume your question was innocent and you are just asking how to teach about current events but this really has the potential to ruffle some feathers and turn ugly. I know this sounds cliche (some of my best friends are...) but we have known, worked with, been friends with, many Muslims (middle eastern and otherwise) over the years and not a one of them condones the acts carried out by a minority that have co-opted the religion and used it for their own purposes. I think the problem is when there is a broad brush that paints people as a group, not as individuals. If we discuss it, again when they are older and can think about personal choices and morality, we talk about most things in the context of personal choice - why did this person do that particular thing - not as a group think mentality or when things appear to be people getting caught up in a current trend, about how those trends get started and how people get drawn in to and caught up in them. A study of the follow herd mentality more than the specific event.

Edited by jcooperetc

I guess you aren't from Oklahoma City:confused:

Really, think hard before you post questions that are OBVIOUSLY going to rile up folks and remember things are sometimes politically incorrect for a reason.

I teach my children that fundamentalism, fanatacism, and extremism of all kinds often lead to violence.

We are atheists. A lot of my fellow atheists like to point out all the evil done in the name of religion throughout history. What about Stalin? I say. It's not religion in general nor a specific religion that is the cause of evil. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

What about the pogroms of Eastern Europe? Or the Inquisition? How about the Crusades? Stalin? Hitler?

Terrorism and other atrocities are not confined to one religious group. This is what I teach my children.

Actually I think reading Three Cups of Tea would be a great place to start. Greg Mortenson does an excellent and informal job of presenting the Islam that leads to terrorism and the Islam that doesn't.

My daughter and I just read it and enjoyed wonderful conversations.

I agree with others that there are people in every group who will use their beliefs as an excuse to cause harm.

We would prefer not to assume that ALL contentious threads will immediately go downhill. We will give the board members the chance to respond in a mature and thoughtful manner. Those who don't will be banned without warning.

Administrator

LOLOL!!!:lol::lol:

Actually I think reading Three Cups of Tea would be a great place to start. Greg Mortenson does an excellent and informal job of presenting the Islam that leads to terrorism and the Islam that doesn't.

My daughter and I just read it and enjoyed wonderful conversations.

I agree with others that there are people in every group who will use their beliefs as an excuse to cause harm.

Excellent excellent idea! dd and I just read it and then we watched GM on an interview on PBS a few weeks later. Excellent springboard for SO many discussions.

Are you familiar with Ireland? Christian v. Christian?

Peru? Shining Path? Maoist.

Sri Lanka? LTTE? Nationalist

Spain? Basque separatists? Nationalist

Uganda's LRA is a guerilla organization which also perpetrates acts of terror though they tend to stick to Ugandans.... They're very Christian.

I'm an atheist and I teach that much evil has been perpetrated by followers of many religions.

I also teach history - ancient and modern.

And I teach that it's sometimes very hard to tell a terrorist from a freedom fighter. Were Nicaraguan Contras terrorists or freedom fighters?

Edited by admin
Make your points without accusation

I'm just popping in to say that when I saw the original post, I thought "OH no..."....but I am SO impressed with the answers that have been given to this point...really, really impressed ! :hurray: :cheers2:

This could have gone bad, but I see very thoughtful posts, well-made points, and real attempts to address the original question of how to explain what ends up in the news to children, in a way that is not disparaging to one group of people. :thumbup1:

Accurate teaching of world history shows political incorrectness and it's impact on world events. However, it is vitally important to teach it. Doing so in a respectful, accurate, and intelligent manner will also show the initial point being made by the op is moot.

I tell them just what I would if it didn't involve the word terrorism.....there are bad people in every race and in every religion they claim to be a part of.

There are also wonderful people in every race and religion. I teach them not to judge based on color of skin or on religion but rather on character of person.

I am a Christian, so this next statement is very Christian, but my father always says that the only people we have to love and care for are those Jesus died for.

This does not negate consequences for wrong behavior, but it does cover 100% of the population of the world when it is delineated by race or creed.

Dawn

Uganda's LRA is a guerilla organization which also perpetrates acts of terror though they tend to stick to Ugandans.... They're very Christian.

I'm an atheist and I teach that much evil has been perpetrated by followers of many religions.

And I teach that it's sometimes very hard to tell a terrorist from a freedom fighter. Were Nicaraguan Contras terrorists or freedom fighters?

To which I would add: before 9/11, the State Department's statistics showed that the most terrorist attacks against US citizens/property/interests were perpetrated by various Central American groups. And the most suicide bombings were carried out by the Tamil Tigers, a Sri Lankan separatist group. That's right, they were doing more suicide bombings than the Palestinians.

The pendulum of history swings back and forth, and an attack on US soil will naturally focus more attention from the US press than attacks elsewhere.

What appears on CNN every night is *not* all that's going on in the world.

I hope I'm not coming across as snarky here--I'm reminding myself of this as well as everyone else (and I'm Muslim). :)

I'd probably begin with something like this:

"Children... listen very carefully... when someone begins a sentence with the phrase it's my impression that... we have a solemn duty to investigate the impression of said person, and after good honest logical research and thought, determine if that impression is at all accurate, and if it's not accurate, we need to decide if we are honor bound to correct that impression, or to just learn from it and move on."

As for how I teach my kids about the faulty association that deems Muslims responsible for the majority of terrorist acts in the Western world, my children are still pretty young. Right now, I answer their questions as simply and honestly as possible, as those questions come up. Usually around Patriot Day when they see all the parades and memorials and such.

When we arrive at the Logic stage of their academic careers, we'll probably begin a more intensive study of such topics.

And hey.... good luck.

Now that you've been blessed with alligator skin... :lol:

Okay, we're doing history TWTM way, which means that before we even broach the subject of terrorism today (in a classroom situation) we've already learned about the history of the ME, as well as the bloody history of man in general. Learning history chronologically, imo, gives us a better perspective from which to see today's issues.

Of course, the kids hear about terrorism that is going on today, we don't live under a rock ;) When that comes up we discuss the individual episode. For instance, the recent almost bombing in NYC. The kids and I heard about it on the radio and then turned to the internet to read a few articles. If you look up articles from different countries then you'll get a better perspective. Together we try to muddle through the whys of it all.

We're halfway through SotW3 and ds already knows that there are many reasons in addition to any religious reason that someone might give. He knows that religious people that perpetrate such acts normally do so after having JUSTIFIED their acts, regardless of what where their religion might stand on such an issue. Also, it helps to remember that not all atrocities are perpetrated by religious people. Athiests can be quite as blood thirsty as the next fanatic.

If your definition is that "terrorism" = Muslims doing awful things, then you've defined your own parameters so that there is only one answer.

When I was a kid, the main act of organized violence that touched my life were anti-abortion protesters who shot doctors and Central American governments that tortured their people, and the frightening rumors of creepy people who stole children (or lured them away with poisoned candy) to harm them.

If your worldview is only American, it also tends to limit your perspective. I find the issue of violence as perpetrated by individuals, ad hoc groups, organizations, and governments to be disturbing enough as it is. But it's also interesting to study -- conceptually -- the process by which we decide someone is a laudable revolutionary who is morally entitled to commit acts of violence in order to advance his/her goals and when someone is a political terrorist who is morally contemptible for committing violent acts in order to advance his/her goals.

There is a much higher percentage of young black men who have been incarcerated (20%) than Muslims who have committed acts of political violence. Is it fair to assume black men tend to be violent criminals or should be assumed to be such unless proven otherwise?

I'd probably begin with something like this:

"Children... listen very carefully... when someone begins a sentence with the phrase it's my impression that... we have a solemn duty to investigate the impression of said person, and after good honest logical research and thought, determine if that impression is at all accurate, and if it's not accurate, we need to decide if we are honor bound to correct that impression, or to just learn from it and move on."

:001_smile:

Well, we are a Muslim family, so perhaps we have a different perspective.

With my own kids I echo what many others have already mentioned, that terrorism is not faith- or culture- or nationality-specific; when specific incidents occur we discuss them at age-appropriate levels. Dh and I are both avid news-followers, our kids are exposed to the tv news and several different print media; they read/listen, they ask questions, and we do our best to answer them in a straightforward manner.

Specific to Islam, we emphasize to our kids the importance of learning about their faith -- to hold knowledge for themselves so they may be critical thinkers, and not blind followers. This is one of the several reasons we have emphasized learning Arabic. We don't give them rose-tinted glasses to look at their fellow Muslims, we think it is important to recognize and discuss the fact that there are nefarious characters out there who have self-identified as Muslim. But what someone else does or says, is not formative or indicative of our own beliefs. We own, and are responsible for, our personal faith and beliefs.

First of all, I have emphasized that Arab does not equal Muslim nor Muslim = Arab. This is both a safety precaution and to teach we are not going to equate terrorism to all Arabs or to all Muslims. I also emphasize that the number one target of Islamic terrorists are other Muslims so obviously they aren't all terrorists. They have known Muslims so they have known people who aren't terrorists and don't support it. They have also had vacation plans disrupted three times by Islamic terrorism so this is certainly not something we could hide. However, as others have stated, we aren't for any kind of terrorism and as they get older they learn about other groups and incidents. Japanese Red Army, Baader Meinhof Group, The Weathermen, IRA, Shining Path, Basque group, etc, etc.

On the other hand, I make sure they understand the idea with See Something, Say something.

We are a mixed faith family . I am Lebanese and a Catholic Christian. Dh is Russian and Jewish. The debates here about what qualifies as terrorism and or a totalitarian regime always center on the fundamental question of whether or not a group is being demonized in such a way that they are actually not considered as morally significant people. Fundamentalism of any stripe leads to excluding certain persons from one's circle of humanity. To see another human being as so distinctly other that they are out of the sphere of moral coonsideration is the worst sort of terrorism. It is so very easy to do. That person is a ##### therefore they are not worthy of my concern or moral consideration as a fellow human being. In my opinion that attitude is dangerous in ways that lead to horrors such as bombing and other terrorist activities and in fact will inevitably lead to violence. I have no answers beyond that observation and avoiding that stalemate of deciding that some people are not worthy of consideration is what we teach and discuss. There are no easy answers in my point of view. The only thing clear to me is that it is essential to watch for the danger signs that certain persons or groups are exempt from my consideration. It might still be necessary to make difficult choices politically and as combat strategy but hopefully there is never the attitude that some people simply do not count.

I teach my children that fundamentalism, fanatacism, and extremism of all kinds often lead to violence.

What about the pogroms of Eastern Europe? Or the Inquisition? How about the Crusades? Stalin? Hitler?

Terrorism and other atrocities are not confined to one religious group. This is what I teach my children.

<snip>

I agree with all of the above.

To which I would add: before 9/11, the State Department's statistics showed that the most terrorist attacks against US citizens/property/interests were perpetrated by various Central American groups. And the most suicide bombings were carried out by the Tamil Tigers, a Sri Lankan separatist group. That's right, they were doing more suicide bombings than the Palestinians.

I agree with this, except I would say that the attacks against the US by Islamic extremists started with the embassy bombings in 1998. That is when the US military realized there was a war being waged against us. That is when things started to change. I guess one could even make an argument for Mogadishu, but that's not what changed the military.

Central America and Sri Lanka are still hotspots, but those pieces of the fight against terrorism aren't even on the radar of most Americans. It was big news and a huge upset in some circles when it came out that Chiquita and Dole had been paying off FARC. However, it barely made the news in the media, I would bet most Americans still have no idea who FARC is. Earlier this year a federal judge dismissed a civil suit against Chiquita for funding FARC and the killing of a group of missionaries. You can bet your bottom dollar that dismissing it would not have been so easy to do, politically, if it had been Al Queda instead of FARC.

The pendulum of history swings back and forth, and an attack on US soil will naturally focus more attention from the US press than attacks elsewhere.

What appears on CNN every night is *not* all that's going on in the world.

I hope I'm not coming across as snarky here--I'm reminding myself of this as well as everyone else (and I'm Muslim). :)

I agree.

Okay, we're doing history TWTM way, which means that before we even broach the subject of terrorism today (in a classroom situation) we've already learned about the history of the ME, as well as the bloody history of man in general. Learning history chronologically, imo, gives us a better perspective from which to see today's issues.

I agree, it is important to know *something* about the history of the ME to have any kind of handle on the current situation.

If your definition is that "terrorism" = Muslims doing awful things, then you've defined your own parameters so that there is only one answer.

When I was a kid, the main act of organized violence that touched my life were anti-abortion protesters who shot doctors and Central American governments that tortured their people, and the frightening rumors of creepy people who stole children (or lured them away with poisoned candy) to harm them.

If your worldview is only American, it also tends to limit your perspective. I find the issue of violence as perpetrated by individuals, ad hoc groups, organizations, and governments to be disturbing enough as it is. But it's also interesting to study -- conceptually -- the process by which we decide someone is a laudable revolutionary who is morally entitled to commit acts of violence in order to advance his/her goals and when someone is a political terrorist who is morally contemptible for committing violent acts in order to advance his/her goals.

There is a much higher percentage of young black men who have been incarcerated (20%) than Muslims who have committed acts of political violence. Is it fair to assume black men tend to be violent criminals or should be assumed to be such unless proven otherwise?

Definitely a good point. Last year (?) there was a really good documentary on PBS about the history of the Crips and Bloods. It was truly eye-opening.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
clarity

Terrorism is just today's news. I try to teach a bigger view of history. There have been thousands of acts of violence committed by all kinds of religions. There still are all kinds of thugs, dictators and lunatics all over the world committing horrific acts of violence but right now what pops to the top of most news source radar is Muslim terrorism. It is just one more era in a fairly violent world history. We wait until the kids are a little older to talk about the details of wars and destruction and it pretty much comes up in any history curriculum we use. We wait until nearly highschool to do in depth studies of the two world wars because there was a lot of really ugly stuff going on then, for example. We have mostly used SOTW and it gives a pretty big picture view of the sweep of world history without getting too detailed about specific acts of violence.

........ about how those trends get started and how people get drawn in to and caught up in them. A study of the follow herd mentality more than the specific event.

Yes. Mine are younger so we haven't covered much of the 20th century yet. Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Idi Amin, Pol Pot, and on and on. Hundreds of millions of people dead from the leadership of these few men.

But we have covered much of the ancient and medieval worlds. They understand that part of this is the human condition.....wanting territory, power, people....and the ebb and flow that "naturally" occurs because of it.

We are atheists. A lot of my fellow atheists like to point out all the evil done in the name of religion throughout history. What about Stalin? I say. It's not religion in general nor a specific religion that is the cause of evil. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Yes, without horrific details, we also discuss the victimization of people by evil leaders that force them or coerce them to actions they wouldn't take otherwise (a couple recent: grade-school age martyrs for Palestinians, and women suicide bombers that are raped and disgraced so that they have nothing else but to die).

These Ugandans are "christian" about as much as Hitler might've claimed to be. There are very fundamental differences between Islam and Christianity but I know that many mainstream Muslims are chagrined by the acts of the radical jihadists, which should be denounced just as Christians denounce the acts of a few violent religious fanatics. The difference currently, I think, is that for Muslims there is a concerted effort in groups around the world to organize, fund and execute their radical plans.

But for OP, taught in the ebb and flow of history, evil must be confronted and resisted wherever it is found.

eta: I try to stay current so that I can answer questions. We have a variety of friends so this helps dc see people for their character and individuality first.

Edited by lovemyboys

These Ugandans are "christian" about as much as Hitler might've claimed to be. There are very fundamental differences between Islam and Christianity but I know that many mainstream Muslims are chagrined by the acts of the radical jihadists, which should be denounced just as Christians denounce the acts of a few violent religious fanatics.

There are Muslims who denounce terrorists. There are Americans who sympathize with the guy who flew into the IRS building in Austin.

The difference currently, I think, is that for Muslims there is a concerted effort in groups around the world to organize, fund and execute their radical plans.

I think the difference is in the amount of money that is being used to fund terrorist activities. It's a lot of money, and weapons of all kinds can be had from former Russian states for cheap. It has created an extremely dangerous situation for the world.

I am going to step back and watch from a distance. (see photo below)

[

83317347.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DIWSAsset%26k%3D2%26d%3DEDF6F2F4F969CEBDBA86359C25AE57F76A4C5076FDD63861FF281D60973C6E01ETA: Let me know if the photo doesn't show up -- I actually picked this photo b/c it looks like ME! I jumped when I saw it b/c it could be me.......watching the neighbors!:smilielol5:I just crack myself up!

I think that I am just going to watch via satallite as you can never tell what the blast radius will be. ;)

There are Muslims who denounce terrorists. There are Americans who sympathize with the guy who flew into the IRS building in Austin.

Hi Ms. M. I didn't say they weren't [denouncing]. Haven't heard any support for the guy who flew his plane in the building....but I don't live in TX.

I think the difference is in the amount of money that is being used to fund terrorist activities. It's a lot of money, and weapons of all kinds can be had from former Russian states for cheap. It has created an extremely dangerous situation for the world.

Besides funding and munitions, I was referring to organized radical groups and schools that are working in a concerted way to train and equip radical jihadists....worldwide. I imagine we would be surprised if we knew the actual numbers involved.

But for OP's Q, I was mentioning it in context of the scope of world history over known time. Kwim?

Edited by lovemyboys
eta: last sentence

I agree with all of the above.

I agree with this, except I would say that the attacks against the US by Islamic extremists started with the embassy bombings in 1998. That is when the US military realized there was a war being waged against us. That is when things started to change. I guess one could even make an argument for Mogadishu, but that's not what changed the military.

Or with the World Trade Center parking garage bombing in '93, actually. That was like a test-run, if you will.

Hi Ms. M. I didn't say they weren't [denouncing].

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, just clarifying the point. :)

Haven't heard any support for the guy who flew his plane in the building....but I don't live in TX.

I don't live anywhere near TX and, unfortunately I *have* heard...well...I wouldn't call it support, but definitely sympathy. I would say it's the same type of sympathy some Muslims have toward extremists.

Besides funding and munitions, I was referring to organized radical groups and schools that are working in a concerted way to train and equip radical jihadists....worldwide. I imagine we would be surprised if we knew the actual numbers involved.

It really is amazing. There have been a number of very good documentaries on this recently on the National Geographic Channel. One the other night on AQ's pursuit of nuclear weapons was extremely scary.

But for OP's Q, I was mentioning it in context of the scope of world history over known time. Kwim?

Yep. :)

Guest Cindie2dds
I think that I am just going to watch via satallite as you can never tell what the blast radius will be. ;)

Indeed. ;)

Terrorist behaviour all depends on your perception. It beats me how a terrorist could be granted a Nobel Peace Prize, but it has happened. "Most terrorism is committed by X people" should really be "most of what I am aware of that I would call terrorism is committed by X people." Those two things sound very similar, but there is an important difference. It's too complex an issue to be painted with either black or white. It's an ever changing shade of grey, I think.

Rosie

I must agree. Any sort of terrorism going on in the world today, whether in a Western country, or within a developing African nation, is just another verse and chapter of man's iniquity toward man over the entire history of the world. While there may be those who claim to be Muslims focusing on the U.S. at this time, there are many other sorts of terrorists focusing on attacks of other peoples in other countries today as well. And the U.S. might well see other sorts of attacks in future.....

As long as humans are, well, *human*, there will be a play of egos and power struggles. There will always be "bad men". But there will also always be many more good people in the world (as Greg Mortensen has found out over several decades).

For the vast majority of humans living in the world, trying to just get along every day, feed their families and live their lives is enough for them. We don't hear about them on the news. We tend not to think about them. We focus instead on the sensational stories of the few bad people in the world who seek to cause trouble for others.

I think if you start doing a little research, you will find that the level of "terrorism" in Central and South American countries far outreaches any sorts of terrorism that has occurred within the boundaries of the U.S. over, say, the past fifty years. To my knowledge, none of this has been perpetrated by Muslims at all. So I don't think you can really support a statment that "most terrorism in the Western world is committed by Muslims".....

http://www.moneyweek.com/news-and-charts/economics/president-obamas-mexican-challenge-14562.aspx

http://www.infowars.com/mexican-style-drug-gang-urban-terrorism-against-police-comes-to-california/

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/dcblog/2009/10/does_venezuela_sponsor_terrori.html

http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/47003.pdf (re: Cuba)

http://www.fas.org/irp/threat/terror_96/latin.html (1996 summary of terrorism in several Central and South American countries)

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NjdlNGE4ZmI4OTE2NjY4NWFjOThlYjU5NTI2MWNlMzU= (Brazil)

Wow this thread is going incredibly well. I have found my kids don't jump to conclusions such as that Muslims commit most terrorism. Studying history chronologically as we have done, we have covered so many wars and acts of atrocity over the centuries, that its far more natural for us to see terrorism as just another face of war, and war is a part of human nature, aparently. Wars have certainly been going on for as long as recorded history. Its about people- people who feel they have no choice but to behave as they do. People who are often born into situations we can barely imagine, living as comfortably as we do, in peaceful parts of the world.

When you study history over years, it helps keep things in perspective- even and especially as an adult who is responsible for imparting world views to a child, because we are not immune to being influenced by a press that is biased toward sensationalism.

I wouldn't teach my kids about the association between Muslims and terrorism unless it came up in context of something else. I would rather teach them world history for many years before tackling modern issues. Then the modern issues can be seen in more context.

I believe from my observations of the news over the years that most terrorism is caused by men--both planned and executed. To me, the question of why that correlation exists is much more interesting than the question of which religion or culture is more or less associated with it. It just seems to be more fundamental.