Menu

Just sent a boy back outside in tears.

What is it with boys and jumping off of things????? Weirdos!:lol:

No joke! I remember when my oldest was about 2, and I was sitting on the couch talking with my mom. I said, "I don't think of him as a 'boy,' just as a kid." My son was clambering around me as we were talking, and just as I said that, he took a flying leap off the back of the couch, over my head and on to the floor. Gadzooks! My mother turned on me and said, "That! That is a boy thing! A girl would find no need to do that!"

At least he asked first lol I have caught my ds up on the shed roof more often then I care to think. He has also jumped off the ledge that sits under his second floor bedroom window. Thankfully beyond banging his chin on his knee he was not hurt from that stunt.

he took a flying leap off the back of the couch, over my head and on to the floor. Gadzooks! My mother turned on me and said, "That! That is a boy thing! A girl would find no need to do that!"

That is hilarious, Nicole.

My brother was that kind of boy. Forever running and jumping.

My mother still tells the story of the afternoon that she'd had enough of the leaping from chair to couch, the rolling across the floor and popping back up to start another round. She sent him outside to run laps around the house, and he cried all the way. Ten laps of the most pitiful child shuffling and sobbing around the house.

But once he was back in the house, the leaping and jumping began again.

At least he asked first lol I have caught my ds up on the shed roof more often then I care to think. He has also jumped off the ledge that sits under his second floor bedroom window. Thankfully beyond banging his chin on his knee he was not hurt from that stunt.

Ds7 just came back in and when I asked him how he knew they wouldn't get hurt if they did this he said "because we've done it a lot of times!". So then I asked why he decided to ask permission, and it turns out ds9 thought maybe they should get permission :001_huh:.

I remember my brother and his friends jumping out of his second story window onto some hay bales.

I've got one of those...the climbing, jumping type! Oh my! And is he ever stubborn!

He took his first unsupported steps at 9 months 1 week of age. The next day, he started walking across two rooms (about 20 feet) without issue. Within 3-4 months, he was climbing up the back of the couch to look out a high window. Well before he was two, he was terrifying moms at the park. I had to rescue him from being rescued by them because they didn't think he could climb that high. About that same time, he started vaulting off the dining room table...you know where you hang over on your stomach, swing your legs, and push off for a nice landing?

He stands on the arm of the couch or coffee table just so we'll tell him to get down, which he gladly does. We constantly have to tell him to keep his feet on the ground because he likes to hang over things, coming dangerously close to clocking his baby sister in the head.

And no matter how many times you tell him to stop climbing, standing in, jumping off of, running into, etc., he doesn't learn. He's only 3 now...I'm afraid for what the later years will bring.

Coincidentally, Dh and I have started graying at an alarming rate in the last three years.

Ds7 just came back in and when I asked him how he knew they wouldn't get hurt if they did this he said "because we've done it a lot of times!". So then I asked why he decided to ask permission, and it turns out ds9 thought maybe they should get permission :001_huh:.

I remember my brother and his friends jumping out of his second story window onto some hay bales.

See hay bales to land on I could handle. My hard dried out lawn not so much. Nothing like sitting on the couch and suddenly see your sailing past the big picture window on his way down. :001_huh:

Ds7 is quite heartbroken that I won't "let them climb in the shed roof and jump off" and he assured me that they "can do it without getting hurt".

I ruin all the fun.

My brother and I climbed up on a shed once. He was 5 or so and I was 7. He said, "Let's jump off! It will be fun!" I said, "I don't think so...." He jumped and broke his arm. I climbed down to tell our mom.... :tongue_smilie:

My daughter spends a lot of time sitting on the top of the clothes line. So much time that it's getting boring. Thankfully she's not tall enough to climb on the roof yet. I hope we can move to a house with a nice tree with lots of branches. They don't tend to jump out of trees if they have too many branches in the way.

Rosie

I hate to break it to you, but they don't necessarily outgrow it. I remember one of the big snowstorms as a kid - I think 1967. My brothers were jumping off the roof into the 8+ foot snowbanks. Well, my then 84 yo great grandpa also jumped off the roof and broke his leg. My mother was furious - with her sons and with her grandfather - that none of them had any sense. Yet another trip to the hospital (they really did know us by name.)

I have climbing and jumping girls. My son never did that. My two liked to climb up on the roof when we lived in FL. I didn't allow it either. I particularly didn't like my youngest learning to climb up a coconut palm. THe problem was that it was hanging over the pool concrete deck.

Over here, they haven't been trying to climb the roof since it is three stories up.

My then 4 and 6yo were at a good friend's home for a playdate. The 3 of them come marching in and ask if they can climb a ladder onto the neighbor's roof. Dad says no and sends them away. Thinking about this for a moment, dad calls kids back in. He asks them, "Have you already climbed ladder on to the roof?" Kids say that they did, but neighbor lady (who is also a good friend) suggested that they might want to get permission first (I think she didn't want to be the one to say no). This is in very mountainous area, so the houses are all built into hillsides. A 6 foot climb from the hill to the roof actually puts them onto the second story of the house.

Anyhow, it could have ended really badly, but it was sorta funny the way it all played out.

As I was typing this out, I looked out into the backyard to see my youngest on the very top pole of our swingset. It's not just boys!

I have climbing and jumping girls. My son never did that. My two liked to climb up on the roof when we lived in FL. I didn't allow it either. I particularly didn't like my youngest learning to climb up a coconut palm. THe problem was that it was hanging over the pool concrete deck.

Over here, they haven't been trying to climb the roof since it is three stories up.

I was a climbing and jumping girl! Now I'm a mom with a climbing and jumping daughter and three cautious boys. Weird.

As a kid I was quite proud of the fact that I had found a way to climb UP the hay chute in our little barn. I recall jumping off the roof of a small cabin we had back in the woods. That was a little jolting--I only did it once. I would jump into a nice pile of hay from a (reasonably low--I don't do heights.) roof even today! :D

Edited by darlasowders

I hate to break it to you, but they don't necessarily outgrow it. I remember one of the big snowstorms as a kid - I think 1967. My brothers were jumping off the roof into the 8+ foot snowbanks. Well, my then 84 yo great grandpa also jumped off the roof and broke his leg. My mother was furious - with her sons and with her grandfather - that none of them had any sense. Yet another trip to the hospital (they really did know us by name.)

I hope when I'm 84 I'm doing awesome stuff like that.

"Moooom! Granny is on the roof again!!"

:svengo:

No joke! I remember when my oldest was about 2, and I was sitting on the couch talking with my mom. I said, "I don't think of him as a 'boy,' just as a kid." My son was clambering around me as we were talking, and just as I said that, he took a flying leap off the back of the couch, over my head and on to the floor. Gadzooks! My mother turned on me and said, "That! That is a boy thing! A girl would find no need to do that!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is hilarious, Nicole.

My brother was that kind of boy. Forever running and jumping.

My mother still tells the story of the afternoon that she'd had enough of the leaping from chair to couch, the rolling across the floor and popping back up to start another round. She sent him outside to run laps around the house, and he cried all the way. Ten laps of the most pitiful child shuffling and sobbing around the house.

But once he was back in the house, the leaping and jumping began again.

That's a great story. My oldest isn't much of a leaper in real life. Now his brother.... ~sigh~ The woman who cut my hair for years and years took one look at my youngest, when he was about three, and said, "Bungee jumping." :willy_nilly:

I'm glad to see mothers of girls speaking up. I was one of those too. Dd has inherited my genes. She still hasn't grown out of it yet. It doesn't help that I don't discourage her :D. It started when she was about 6 months old- that's when she started climbing... Of course, me being the mom I am, did not think of grabbing her, but the camera.

photo.php?pid=30794952&id=1435531510

post-2047-13535083468455_thumb.jpg

post-2047-13535083468455_thumb.jpg

When I was growing up, all of us (boys & girls alike) jumped off everything we could find. Our shed was a popular neighborhood launch site, because you could climb a tree and then drop down onto the roof. I remember once taking all the pillowcases off the pillows in our house and passing them out to the neighborhood kids to use as parachutes, and we all jumped off the shed roof to see if the "parachutes" made a difference. The best jumping spot, though, was a big old half-dead tree out in the woods. Someone put a couple of hay bales under it, and we took turns jumping off higher and higher branches.

Jackie

Great Grandpa Sam was awesome. He walked 5 miles a day, well into his 90's - that sturdy Norwegian stock. He was quite a character. His funeral was a hoppin good time, despite the fact that it was so cold in the UP that the clock in our car froze.

:lol::lol::lol:

Isn't their sense of timing absolutely exquisite?

We did that all the time as kids. We climbed onto the shed roof, slid down, then jumped off the edge onto the ground. It couldn't have been more than 5 feet. We also climbed over the deck railing and jumped onto the lawn - again, probably only 5 feet or so. No one ever got hurt.

Seeing if this works (photo).

My ds14 didnt ask. He just jumped off a cliff with his friends. At least yours asked!

We used to do that when we were teens. There was an old rock quarry that had filled with water in our county and we used to go jump off the cliffs into the water there. It had to have been dangerous because people did die there, but usually it was alcohol induced.

I was a tree climbing, jumping off things kid. The highest I remember was a rock restraining wall next to our apartment complex's pool. It went from about 1 foot off the ground to about 15 feet off the ground since the road next to it sloped down. We used to jump off as close to the 15 foot end as we could onto about 3 feet of grass before hitting the road. I'm surprised none of us got hurt.

Both my younger children are climbers and jumpers. My son was climbing the back of the couch before he could walk. Every bookcase, dresser, etc. in my house is bolted to the wall. Anything I want out of their reach has to be at least 7 feet off the ground. My dd regularly climbs up onto the back of our rocking recliner and swings it back and forth.

I can't wait until they are a little older. We have a ton of trees on our property, a deep slope down to a river and DH is itching to build a very high tree house. We did get them a trampoline which seems to satisfy some of the urge.

My sons have all been climbers/jumpers. My dh recently built my 11yo ds an "outpost" high in a tree on our property. It's basically just a wooden platform in a tree and it makes me nervous, but I have learned that they WILL climb. :001_smile:

We used to do that when we were teens. There was an old rock quarry that had filled with water in our county and we used to go jump off the cliffs into the water there. It had to have been dangerous because people did die there, but usually it was alcohol induced.

My ds did this off of a bridge last summer....I nearly had a coniption when I found out.......

He survived, but I wanted to clobber him.

~~Faithe

Today ds were getting too wild (7 am, thank you very much) and both dh and I went in to tell them to settle down. I made some comment later to dh about it and he said, "It's hard being a boy." And laughed. And I said, "Okay, so they're boys but they still can have some self control." And he said, "If boys had more self control, there wouldn't be any wars. There would be peace on earth."

Well, I never thought of it that way.

Woolybear

My ds did this off of a bridge last summer....I nearly had a coniption when I found out.......

He survived, but I wanted to clobber him.

~~Faithe

My oldest jumped off a train bridge into a nearby river last year. It was after a lot of rain so the water was high. I didn't know until after the fact and I too wanted to smack him upside his head. :tongue_smilie:

At least it is only the shed roof. My boys have climbed on the house roof for a variety of reasons and EVERY time I get asked if they can jump off "just once." Boys are adventurous (which is a nice way of saying they're nutso).

:lol:

One of my tips for raising boys is to just not watch. It's much easier on the heart that way.

Wolf takes the kids to the park. I never should have allowed them to go without me. Suddenly, the next time I'm with them, my babies are climbing ALL the high bars. I stood there, rooted to the spot, gasping for air, while they smiled and WAVED while teetering on the bars. :svengo:

Wolf, of course, is proud as can be about their 'natural balance'. I just about unbalanced HIM.

After that, forget it. You just can't undo something like that. *sigh*