Menu

What kind of laundry detergent do you use?

What kind of laundry detergent do you use?  

1. 1. What kind of laundry detergent do you use?

• Tide
    • Cheer
    • All
    • Gain
    • Bi-o-kleen
    • 7th Generation
    • Other mainstream brand
    • Other natural brand
    • I make my own
    • None of the above

Ever since we were Amway distributors way back when, I got hooked on SA8 and just love it. I won't use a stain remover other than Amway's PreWash Spray b/c it is the ONLY stain remover that really works for me. Highly recommend if you can get your hands on some! We don't sell anymore, btw, so this isn't an advertisement! :D

and I marked more than one, which you all can do as well.

I am currently using All, but we have used Bi-o-kleen which is nice but was getting to be a pain to order. I've now gotten some samples of Sun and Earth that I'm going to try when the All runs out. My dd used to have really sensitive skin which prompted us to try Bi-o-kleen which was the only thing we could use when she was in cloth diapers, she seems to be not as sensitive anymore but All is the only mainstream detergent I can use for her.

I am presently using Melaleuca laundry detergent. I like it very much, but will switch to something else when my huge supply is gone. I had a membership and collected a ton of detergent, but I got rid of that, so when this stuff is gone I'm back to purchased stuff. Or I may start making my own again. That was easy and cheap.

Due to my son's skin sensitivities to some detergents, and the dinginess from poor-performing cheaper detergents, we pretty much stick with Tide.

I was annoyed to find they are only selling the 2x type now. I already use barely a tablespoon per load for my front loader, so now I have to be very careful not to use too much of this new stuff.

I want my old Tide back. :glare:

Saw some talk of this on another thread and I'm just curious.
I mostly use Tide because I've never found anything that cleans better (and I can use much less than instructed and still get great results). I also use Cheer Colorguard for dark colors because I've seen several studies that showed it really does preserve colors -- but it also doesn't clean as well as Tide, so I don't use it for everything.

I was using a natural brand from Costco, but ran out and had to grab some Ecos Brand. We have a front loader so a little goes a long way. :)

Mekanamom~ We got ours at Wild Oats/Whole Foods, but I also saw it at our local grocery store chain (King Soopers). I'm pretty impressed w. it, too & I have a very messy 3 yo :D

My dermatologist told me I had the most sensitive skin he has ever seen. I have tried All Free and Clear, Charlies and other brands for sensitive skin. The only one that does not bother me is Dreft. I use 1 tbs in my front loader with vinegar in my fabric softner slot. My clothes come out great.

...when I don't feel like making my own, or when I'm out of the stuff to do it and don't feel like getting it all, I use All Free and Clear. I think both do a good job of cleaning, but sometimes I do miss the scent. I wish essential oils weren't so expensive, or I would add some to my homemade detergent.:glare:

Due to my son's skin sensitivities to some detergents, and the dinginess from poor-performing cheaper detergents, we pretty much stick with Tide.

Ditto here. Tide POWDER. The Liquid caused Dh to break out in a total body rash. UGH We used All Free and Clear until I couldn't the bottom of DDs shorts clean. I was complaining about it to a friend and she suggested I try Tide. Everything is sparkling now. For the most part, anyway.

I have started making my own laundry soap. The clothes come out smelling fresh and clean with out a perfume smell.

1 bar Ivory soap,grated

2 cups baking soda

2 cups 20 Mule Team Borax

Combine all together in small bucket with lid. (I use an ice cream bucket)

Use about 1/4 cup per load.

Leat

I got this recipe from Welltellme.com

Isn't it awesome? Can you get it locally or do you have to order?

Their customer service is great. I called to tell them that a bag they'd shipped me had broken in transit, and in TEN minutes they had another in UPS "custody" on it's way to me!

SA-8 here, too. I've used it for about 15 years, and don't imagine I'd ever use anything else. I became an Amway distributor just so I could have easy access to the laundry products (and a couple of the other products). I don't sell to anyone (except to my mom, at cost), but I'm totally sold on the stuff. It doesn't contain any of the fillers that are in Tide, and it cleans very, very well.

I use Tide's coldwater. That way I am only separating light and dark. Before that I was doing a cold/light color wash, a warm/ light colored wash, a cold/dark colored wash, you get the idea. I am slightly anal about laundry.:tongue_smilie:

When I was washing cloth diapers, I used Charlie's.

I have tried many other brands over the years but nothing works as well as Tide. I have yet to meet a stain it can't remove. And I love the way it smells. Always fresh and clean. Sometimes when I am driving through the neighborhood, I can smell other peoples laundry and I really don't like it. As far as I am concerned Tide is the best and I can't ever imagine changing. :thumbup:

Guest Virginia Dawn

I use the biggest box of Arm and Hammer powder I can find. :-)

It's inexpensive, works good enough, and doesn't make me itch.

when dh and I were first married, I discovered that he had a terrible skin condition which caused him to scratch with both hands during the night such that it woke me out of a sound sleep. Poor guy! He'd had that since high school. The doctor back then had told him it was a STD, but he *knew* he didn't. In the Air Force he was given some cream. After we were married he saw yet another doctor who prescribed yet another cream. Nothing helped.

So after our first baby was born and we bought our first washing machine, I bought some SA8, dry bleach and fabric softener from a friend at church because she said they were good. I was quite pleased with the results, especially baby's diapers, which were as white as the diaper service ones we'd been using. And then one day I realized that dh was no longer scratching at night. Eureka! Laundry detergent allergy! I have never gone back to *any* Brand X, not even homemade. (As it turns out, he can't use anything other than Amway products for bath soap or deoderant, either. We even take our own bath soap with us when we go on vacations.)

So for us it will always be Amway products.

We usually use Tide, the Free and Clear if I buy it, regular if DH buys it.

Or we'll use Kirkland, but after having my membership lapsed for a year, I went back and discovered Kirkland had gone to HE formulation. Anyone know if I can use that in my non-front-loading, non-efficient washing machine? I'd try the natural brand at Costco, but it has an added scent, which is not a good idea to mess with in our family--DH is finicky because of a history of breaking out with cheap detergents and most any powdered, and I'm finicky because of my eczema as well.

I'll occasionally get 7th gen if I have a coupon, which I do right now.

So for us it will always be Amway products.

That is so interesting.

When I was first getting to know my dh (when we were still "just friends") I noticed that he often had dandruff flakes on his shoulder.

After we started dating I offered him some of the shampoo that I used and I noticed right away that the dandruff stopped. Turned out he was using whatever cheapest of the cheap stuff his mom had given him and it dried out his scalp. Now he uses my boutique stuff and it works a lot better for him. :)