Menu

Do you wear yoga pants for running errands around town?

Around the house every single day, I wear these yoga pants http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2942666?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=zella&origin=searchresults

I have a few pairs. I love how comfortable they are and dh loves the way I look in them. I usually wear them with a long sleeve t-shirt or a hoodie and a cami.

I've always wondered if I could run errands, go to dental appointments, etc. in them. I'm 42yo. Would you wear these to town? If you did, what kind of shoes would you wear with them?

Edited by Luann in ID
fixed the link, I hope

Your link isn't working for me, but I wear athletic clothes to run errands (and work, incidently.) Yoga pants are commonly worn in my area- near Boulder, Colorado- I'm not sure how acceptable they are in other parts of the country.

I teach aerobics and run around all over in workout gear, so take my input with a serious grain of salt. Heck if I go before my class instead of after (when I'm sweaty and gross), I think I'm pretty dressed up. :) I don't try to make my pants look like anything other than workout gear. I wear my running shoes with it. Have seen people wear some cute slip on shoes/athletic sandals with it, it looks cute. Like these

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Womens-Shoes--Accessories/Active-Casual/index.cat

IMO, yoga pants are a step up from pajama pants which are apparently acceptable in my neck of the woods :)

Seriously, I love the casual look of yoga pants as long as you are neat. If your clothes are neat and clean and your hair, etc. doesn't look like you just rolled out of bed I think they are totally acceptable.

I feel like I need to lose 15 pounds before the style would become appropriate for me, however :glare:

I can't see your link.

Yeah, you can totally wear them out running errands and stuff, assuming you aren't, uh, well, they aren't too tight in the front (the camel toe should never go out in public!). I wouldn't go out to lunch in them or anything, though. I wear mine all the time! I have a pair of black Sketchers tennis shoes to go with them.

The only people that wear them out around here are college students and extremely wealthy women who wear them to show off the expensive designer name on the a**. I have a couple pairs, but I can't bring myself to leave the house in them. Not that I don't like how I look in them, but I guess they always look somewhat unkempt to me.

I live in the very casual PNW. Lots of people wear them around town here. I wear them in the house, but if I am going out shopping, I put on more classic pants. I may still have on a hoodie, but it will be with jeans or khakis.

The only people that wear them out around here are college students and extremely wealthy women who wear them to show off the expensive designer name on the a**.

Yes, it's very CT, too, my deah! I wear them around because they're comfortable; no designer a** here. :D

No, I don't. I work out 3-5 times a week and always think of how nice it would be to just live in those pants...so comfy! But...when it comes down to it, I just can't go out in public in my exercise clothes. Of course, I have been known to run errands in a dress and heels...or go to the playground in them..

I like to wear dark pants with nice shirts and a scarf around my neck with cute shoes. I also love to wear dresses and cute shoes. If I could wear animal print pumps with a red heel with yoga pants..then I might do it. :001_huh: Until then...no. :D

(in my prior life I was headed towards a career in fashion photography and enjoyed fashion intensely..now that my kids are older and I can wear any sort of clothing I want..I take full advantage.) :lol::tongue_smilie:

:D. I would like a few from Title Nine or Athleta, and yes, I would probably start to live in them.

But I'll admit, around here, wearing something that looks like sweats makes you look a part of a certain crowd (not nice), but I would think if your hair looked nice and the rest of you looked clean it would work. :001_smile:

Of course I'm originally from Jersey and I know it would have been fine where I grew up. The south is a bit different.

IMO, yoga pants are a step up from pajama pants which are apparently acceptable in my neck of the woods :)

Seriously, I love the casual look of yoga pants as long as you are neat. If your clothes are neat and clean and your hair, etc. doesn't look like you just rolled out of bed I think they are totally acceptable.

I feel like I need to lose 15 pounds before the style would become appropriate for me, however :glare:

:iagree: with every word...especially the last sentence *sigh*

Yeah, you can totally wear them out running errands and stuff, assuming you aren't, uh, well, they aren't too tight in the front (the camel toe should never go out in public!).

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I don't go out in exercise clothes unless I'm going to or from the gym, or I am walking down to the grocery store 1.5 miles away to pick something up.

As a side note to another comment in the thread-people out and about in their pajamas is a serious pet peeve of mine!!:tongue_smilie:

If you're coming north to do your errands, you'll be fine. No one would even notice. I can't imagine anyone batting an eye in the town south of you either.

LOL. Nice to hear from you, Heather. You're very right.

I asked a friend here if she thought I could get away with it. She had come over to the house and complimented the pants. But she said, "No, don't wear them to town." She's in her late 20's and unusually stylish for our area as she's originally from Seattle. She's probably the only person in the whole county who would have given me that answer.

I have to go to a 4H meeting today. I put my back out this morning. I'm wearing the yoga pants. With the way my back feels, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be maneuvering into jeans.

Around the house every single day, I wear these yoga pants http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2942666?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=zella&origin=searchresults

I have a few pairs. I love how comfortable they are and dh loves the way I look in them. I usually wear them with a long sleeve t-shirt or a hoodie and a cami.

I've always wondered if I could run errands, go to dental appointments, etc. in them. I'm 42yo. Would you wear these to town? If you did, what kind of shoes would you wear with them?

No. Athletic clothes are proper for working out, or perhaps doing your household chores. I believe a person should dress properly for going out of the house, and frankly, even dress properly in the house -- which means no spending half the day in jammies or slovenly clothes. I am an unapologetic snob about this issue of dressing properly.

No. Athletic clothes are proper for working out, or perhaps doing your household chores. I believe a person should dress properly for going out of the house, and frankly, even dress properly in the house -- which means no spending half the day in jammies or slovenly clothes. I am an unapologetic snob about this issue of dressing properly.

I can picture myself now at the softball park in heels! :lol: I do wear jeans...does that count? :D I'm not one that's into fashion or dressing up. I will dress up for church, weddings, or funerals but that's about it!

I do and I wear athletic shoes or flip flops with them. However, even though I find it very tempting, I do try not to wear them all day long or every day, mostly because of my husband. I like him to see me a little more dressed up, not because of anything he has ever said or done but because I realize he is out there mingling with well dressed up professional women in his work, so I like him to come home to an equally well dressed wife at least some days!

these pants you linked to are probably about the fanciest I've ever worn leaving the house. I assumed you were talking about tights....these look like they could be warn with a blazer........gosh - I wish I always looked that dressed up leaving the house............so what makes these yoga pants and why wouldn't they be appropriate to wear at work?

I don't go out in exercise clothes unless I'm going to or from the gym, or I am walking down to the grocery store 1.5 miles away to pick something up.

As a side note to another comment in the thread-people out and about in their pajamas is a serious pet peeve of mine!!:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: (sweats too :glare:)

I think yoga pants are cute. If they are comfortable, and you feel attractive in them, why not wear them to the dentist or the grocery store? If you were going to meet the Queen, I'd have different answer, but for those sorts of every day activities, yoga pants are fine.

I do wear yoga pants out of the house but not too often, only about 1-2 times/month. I feel more presentable if I have on pants with a zipper.:tongue_smilie:

For shoes, I like the styles that a pp (on the first page) linked, kind of a mix between an athletic shoe and a ballet flat. I don't have any shoes like that so I usually wear running shoes or flip flops.

I can picture myself now at the softball park in heels! :lol: I do wear jeans...does that count? :D I'm not one that's into fashion or dressing up. I will dress up for church, weddings, or funerals but that's about it!

I did say "dress properly" and jeans and sneakers would be proper for a softball game. Different clothes are proper for different situations. I certainly don't wear heels to muck out stalls, but I am dressed properly for that chore when I do it. Likewise, when I go grocery shopping, I dress in neat, clean proper clothes, not my workout wear.

IMO, too many people think slovenly clothing is fine anywhere, anytime. I do not.

I love yoga pants and often wear them to bed with a camisole/tank.

The other day it was a bit chilly outside when I went for my run so I wore my yoga pants to run. My 5 y.o. DS went running with me and he said, "mommy, why are you wearing your pajamas to run?".

My yoga pants are old, so no I don't wear them to run errands. However, those yoga pants in the link are nice (a little expensive, but hey, it's nordstrom) and if I had a pair of those, I probably would feel comfortable wearing them in public. I would wear them with my running shoes.

I feel better if I look good - and yoga pants are fine so I woudl and do wear thm out and about.

I don't get though why people would worry so much about what other people think - if someone is out in "sweats", well, that's their business. I cant really say whethe it "acceptable" or not- I dont feel thats a judgement I am really fit to make. It seems like its a moral judgement on people. People do what they do.

I haven't seen too many people out in pajamas except in their front yards so its not an issue- and many pajamas are kind of humerous (dh has pink pajamas with blue hippos on them), not to mention "modest", compared to what a lot of people wear in the name of clothes. If I saw someone in pajamas doing the shopping, I would probably feel sorry for them that they don't understand social cues so well. I never have, though.

I wouldn't run errands in them, but many people in my town (college town) do. I've seen people in yoga pants, pajamas, tiny little shorts, dresses that barely cover all that should be covered...it is kinda ridiculous. Some of them even come to classes dressed like that! I'm mainly a jeans and sneakers kind of person, and will dress up if I have to. I don't pay much attention to what is currently fashionable and trendy, because the next time you turn around, something else will have taken its place.

According to the classical bon ton (etiquette) that I grew up with, gym clothes are worn in and only in sports facilities (and it's also recommended not to wear them as you're getting there or getting back home, but strictly when you're doing exercise). It might sound a bit extreme today, especially in the US, but to the present day we still never wear gym clothes of any kind outside of the context of sports, even at home we tend not to be in gym clothes.

So for me, yoga pants when running errands would be a no, but I'm not bothered if other people do it. It might seem a bit inappropriate at times, though.

The only people that wear them out around here are college students and extremely wealthy women who wear them to show off the expensive designer name on the a**. I have a couple pairs, but I can't bring myself to leave the house in them. Not that I don't like how I look in them, but I guess they always look somewhat unkempt to me.

:iagree: More specifically with the bold words, though the first half doesn't sound far off for my area.

these pants you linked to are probably about the fanciest I've ever worn leaving the house. I assumed you were talking about tights....these look like they could be warn with a blazer........gosh - I wish I always looked that dressed up leaving the house............so what makes these yoga pants and why wouldn't they be appropriate to wear at work?

Not that I'm any fashion maven myself, but I agree. I certainly think that particular pair doesn't scream "exercise gear!", and is more formal looking than jeans.

Uber-relaxed PNW here... I can't remember the last time I went out and didn't see someone in PJ pants and slippers. Seriously.

So... For around here those yoga pants would be totally acceptable.

I tend to wear jeans to run errands but have been known to go out in my "Royal Tannenbaums" Adidas track suit, especially if I'm taking the kids to a park or just running to the store/post office.

I don't have any yoga pants, but I'm at the dojo 5 nights a week so it is fairly common for me to run errands in gi pants. I live in FL and it is not unusual to see people out or at a convenience store in their bathing suits (sometimes they even pull on a loose shirt and shorts over them) so I think my gi pants and tank top or workout top are a step up. :D Also, people often tell me they really like my 'Fight Like A Girl' breast cancer awareness tank - I wear it with the gi pants a lot.

BTW, those yoga pants OP linked look pretty fancy to me.

I see lots of people around town wearing these and as long as they fit correctly (not too tight), they seem fine to me. I don't wear them around town because they are always too short (I'm 5'10") and they accentuate my four babies belly tummy bulge...but I don't think a thing if I see someone else at the mall or grocery store with them on.

I can't blame you for wanting to. Yoga pants are the most comfortable pants ever. I have the Mantra pant from Roots Canada, and the Patagonia yoga pant, and these pants are the most comfortable and flattering fit ever. It makes my backside look like it rose a few inches.

The first time I wore the yoga pants outside to run errands, and I got this look from husband. I take it he does not like it, and since I like to please my husband, I don't wear it anymore outside. I'm back to my skinny jeans, very long crew neck t-shirt, and my North Face Masonic fleeces, with my flat ballet shoes.

My sister was visiting recently and wore yoga pants out to eat. I was a little surprised, to say the least, about how, erm ... shapely they made her rear end look. I would not wear them in public.

Tara

The thing is I guess it really depends on each individual. I can't see my rear looking anything different in yoga pants versus jeans or any other more formal pants. I guess if you have unsightly bulges in that part of your body they might show more in yoga pants because they don't hold as well as other fabrics, but otherwise they should look the same unless they are excessively tight fitting.

• 2 months later...