Menu

What word sends you over the edge?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My DH says he hates when people try to make verbs out of nouns or adjectives when there are already appropriate verbs. Recent ones he's heard:

configurate - We need to configurate the new servers in the lab.

orientate, instead of orient

definitize instead of define

He also dislikes when people are referred to as resources. He's heard people in his company talk about the number of employees in a particular office as the number of resources there.

Especially when they misspell it!

Hehehe...glad you said it first! That happens to be my number one *spelling* peeve...

Y'all is a contraction, you + all. The apostrophe takes the place of the missing o, u, and space between the words.

Now y'all can always spell it correctly. :D Just don't say it, it bugs people.:lol::lol::lol:

And it really bugs me when I hear someone use the term y'all to refer to just one person. Hollywood is famous for that. It's ALWAYS plural! It's the Southern plural form of you.

So now y'all have had a grammar lesson, too.:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Guest Virginia Dawn

My college son recently told me he hates it when some people his age say "lol" when something is funny. That is the internet "laughing out loud." Apparently it rhymes with doll. I've never heard it myself, but I can understand how that might be irritating. :-)

When we were growing up my dad would become irate if we used the word "fart." :lol: Now that I'm grown I think that's pretty funny.

What word sends you over the edge?

Mine? Nag. I hate that word with a passion! It makes me :cursing:

"Ain't" is my mot du mort. I am equally disgusted by ending sentences with prepositions, the incorrect use of who and whom, and any double negatives.

I cannot abide hick-talk.

Is the use of "wicked" an Eastern thing. We were just watching snowboarding and my dd asked if they would jump wicked high. I called my dh and asked him who she has been hanging out with and he said, "It must be someone from Boston."

It was very popular when we lived in southern New Hampshire years ago, and people we knew from the Boston suburbs used it, too. I'd never heard it in the midwest, though. Well, except dh and I say it, because we pick up weird sayings wherever we live.

Ways it was used on New Hampshire:

"Watch out, those fries are wicked hot!"

"Wow, that car's wicked pisser!" (That one still makes me laugh as one of the weirdest phrases ever.)

Panties. I hate the word panties.

Yeah, I don't use it. It sounds so babyish. We call them "unders" in our home.

As for a phrase that will send me over the edge, it is "Calm down." Never the phrase to use when I'm sounding excited/agitated/whatever. Like gasoline on a fire.

When we were growing up my dad would become irate if we used the word "fart." :lol: Now that I'm grown I think that's pretty funny.

All you anti-farters beware of visiting south St. Louis county. Around these parts the number 40 is pronounced "farty".

I have a few. I hate it when my mom says "warsh" instead of wash.:

:iagree: Though my mom would never say that...more like a lot of the older people I deal with at work. :lol:

I really don't like "shorty" when used to refer to women. Yeah...on average women are shorter than men. On average men are also physically stronger too, should we go around calling women "weakling" too? :banghead::cursing:

"Ain't got none." I absolutely become a crazed grammar ninja upon hearing this phrase. The recent language abomination in our area is the following phrase as an indicator of agreement with the speaker. "I know ,right??" I want to pith myself like a frog when I am forced to hear this phrase. It is astonishing to hear grown adults speak this way. Any word that is descriptive of any racial or ethnic group in a derogatory manner is cringe inducing for the speaker if I am nearby.

All you anti-farters beware of visiting south St. Louis county. Around these parts the number 40 is pronounced "farty".

:lol: My east-coaster mother loves to tell the story of how she was in St. Louis with my dad and his family, attending his grandmother's funeral. The priest began the service with, "Oh Lard..." She says her head snapped up in horror, until she realized that no one else around her even noticed. After spending another day or so with the extended family, she understood why :D They all tease my grandmother about her accent: "Pretty soon she'll be farty..." "You were about farty then, right mom?" My prim and proper grandmother gets so exasperated :lol:

I thought of another one--dupey. As in, "The baby has a dupey." :ack2:

Whoa, I haven't heard that one in a looooong time!

My DH says he hates when people try to make verbs out of nouns or adjectives when there are already appropriate verbs. Recent ones he's heard:

configurate - We need to configurate the new servers in the lab.

orientate, instead of orient

definitize instead of define

He also dislikes when people are referred to as resources. He's heard people in his company talk about the number of employees in a particular office as the number of resources there.

Ohhhhh some of the people I work for do that ALL the time, and it drives me crazy!!!

I say warsh. :blushing: Sorry, can't help myself, I'm from TX. My ex-husband once asked me how many Rs were in warsh anyway. I, honest to God, answered, "One, why?"

I'm so sorry to say this, because you might say this next phase also...

"Needs warshed". As in, "This jacket needs warshed" instead of, "This jacket needs to be washed." Drives me to distraction! Worse than that, imo, is one somebody else already mentioned, "I could care less!". Don't people who say that realize that they are saying the opposite of what they intend to say? :confused:

My Dh cannot pronounce the word ravioli.

(He says Ra-ver-o-li.) The kids now pronounce it that way, too and it drives me bonkers!

I am embarassed when we go to Fazolis or Olive Garden, and I keep thinking "Please let them just order spaghetti!" because otherwise we get 'the look' from the server.

As far as other words I don't like - panties is high on my list, as well as just about all terms (slang or otherwise) for 'private anatomy.' :o

Yeah, I don't use it. It sounds so babyish. We call them "unders" in our home.

As for a phrase that will send me over the edge, it is "Calm down." Never the phrase to use when I'm sounding excited/agitated/whatever. Like gasoline on a fire.

Oh, never tell me to "just relax" when I'm clearly agitated. :angry:

Chillax

Sick as a way of saying "cool"

W00t

Haxor

Any haxor speak, to be honest

Any l33t speak. yuck

Fart. (I once said "cut the cheese" in front of my aunt as a kid since I knew the f-word was outta the question. She gasped and said, ''WE DON'T SAY THAT IN THIS HOUSE!! WE SAY 'BREAK WIND'!!!'')oooookay.

Strategery

Nuc-OOOOOO-Lar (Nuclear)

Hoodie (Please!! It's a sweatshirt with a hood, must it have a ridiculous name?! Are the downcast drawstrings not enough?! Give it some dignity!!)

Oooh, I thought of more:

I hate when computer people (my dh is IT) say "power it on/power it off". Why not just say "turn off/turn on"?????

Another is "inputting"....as in "She was inputting information". No, how about "she was entering information"???? It seems more logical that INPUT is the product of entering information.

My dh and his family of origin all say Hamburger Meat. Makes me cringe every single time. I mean, it's not as if we say Chicken Poultry or Ham Pork!!

Oh, and they say ANchiladas for enchiladas.

And my mom LOVES to put that L in Salmon.

And she says stumulk for stomach. The 'ach' is pronounced ULK. Weird. She also says "eye-talian" for Italian. I have pointed out that we don't say Eye-taly for their country.

But the standard British pronunciation is with the 'h', so that's the reason for the Harry Potter pronunciation.

Laura

I know it's the British pronounciation. That's why I don't understand how my dh says it that way. But we do live outside of Pittsburgh where many words are mangled. I've told dh "Herb" with H is the guy from WKRP in the plaid leisure suits. But Tarragon is an "erb".

post-320-13535083365536_thumb.jpg

post-320-13535083365536_thumb.jpg

This thread is hysterical! It's also making me realize the number of words I cannot stand; I never thought there were so many! :lol:

fart

the "F" word

chillin'

peeps

ax instead of ask

kewl, rad, sick - to describe something amazing

fail - I just heard this recently, and I immediately cringed!

the "c" word for part of the female anatomy or to describe a female

wicked - I'm from Southern NH, and I hated it even when I lived there :)

'cept - just say except, please

"my bad" - grrr... this one drive me nuts!

Finally, the misuse of anxious and eager. Anxious means "awaiting in fear/worry". Whereas eager means "to look forward to".

The text speak thing is really getting out of hand. A coworker sent out a mass text message asking, "Can ne1 work Fri nt 4 me?"

It was the ne1 that drove me to distraction. :001_huh:

Wow. I would have had to reply that I would *if* the reason was so that he would not miss his remedial English class. Because he's obviously speaking Klingon.

Around here I think it would be more strange to run across someone who didn't say y'all it's so commonly used.

:iagree:

When learning grammar (English or Latin or other), it's really easy to differentiate between 2nd person singular and 2nd person plural because 2nd person singular is "you" and 2nd person plural is "y'all". Yes, I DO teach it that way! And all the while, my dc & I shake our heads & feel sorry for the poor non-Southerners who don't have "y'all" readily at their disposal. ;)

When learning grammar (English or Latin or other), it's really easy to differentiate between 2nd person singular and 2nd person plural because 2nd person singular is "you" and 2nd person plural is "y'all". Yes, I DO teach it that way! And all the while, my dc & I shake our heads & feel sorry for the poor non-Southerners who don't have "y'all" readily at their disposal. ;)

Yes, y'all is particularly useful when learning Latin Grammar. We chant: I, You, He-She-It...we, y'all, and they! It sounds so much better than we, you (pl.) and they.

Forgot to mention I cannot stand seeing the word stinkin' used to mean something positive. Especially a baby who is so stinkin' cute. Maybe that was clever the first time someone used it, but that word has been all over the internet for 4-5 years now. No longer clever.

I have to out myself...I love, love, love hillbilly speak. My great-grandparents were raised in the mountain backwoods and all those hillbilly pet peeve words make me so homesick for them :crying:

Barb

That's why I started using "y'all" when I was in college -- I decided it was silly that English didn't have a 2nd person plural, and started my own personal campaign to have "y'all" fulfill that function. This was, of course, back when I knew that I could run most people's lives better than they could themselves, and that people should just let me control the world. Since then my desire for world domination has waned.

These days I continue to use "y'all" because it drives my kids nuts.

:smilielol5:Thank you for the tears!

I will confess I am guilty of using many of these "over the edge" words. I haven't lived in the south for almost 17 years and "y'all" automatically rolls off my tongue without thought.

Yep, I say panties, fart, and ain't to name a few. :svengo::D

BTW, DH's alternative for gas is "I think there's a barking spider in the house."

My mother's dictionary from the 1950s offers 'orientate' as a real word, as does my modern Chambers dictionary. I was brought up to see 'orient' as the noun and 'orientate' as the associated verb.

Back when my DH was a new 2nd Lt. fresh out of ROTC at Stanford, he went off on the soldiers in his platoon one time for using the word "orientate". Ranted and raved about how that wasn't a real word and how it made them sound ignorant, yadda, yadda, yadda. His master sergeant (who got a master's degree after retirement and became a college professor) quietly took him aside later that day to show DH the entry for orientate in the dictionary. :blushing: :lol:

Is the use of "wicked" an Eastern thing. We were just watching snowboarding and my dd asked if they would jump wicked high. I called my dh and asked him who she has been hanging out with and he said, "It must be someone from Boston."

I thought it was British - Jamie Oliver / The Naked Chef always says it. Is she watching too many cooking shows? If she's cooking all your family meals, I strongly recommend overlooking "wicked" :)

Lively Latin uses "you all" for the second person plural. It's been Forbidden here - dd has to write "you (pl)" as I was taught.

Edited by nd293
Addition

Back when my DH was a new 2nd Lt. fresh out of ROTC at Stanford, he went off on the soldiers in his platoon one time for using the word "orientate". Ranted and raved about how that wasn't a real word and how it made them sound ignorant, yadda, yadda, yadda. His master sergeant (who got a master's degree after retirement and became a college professor) quietly took him aside later that day to show DH the entry for orientate in the dictionary. :blushing: :lol:

You can let your husband know that the OED says:

"Orientate is commonly regarded as an incorrect usage in American English."

So he's either correct, or he's common :lol:

Bill (who goes along with the former)

You can let your husband know that the OED says:

"Orientate is commonly regarded as an incorrect usage in American English."

So, it's commonly regarded as incorrect usage. Does that mean that most people think it's incorrect and therefore it is (dictionaries being descriptive rather than prescriptive)? Or does it mean that it is regarded as incorrect despite being correct?

Laura